HOW TO DROP THE BALL

Is nobody gonna talk about how rushed Episode 7 was? Because holy fuck, it was bad.

For starters, Ashi's fight with her mom came out of dick fucking nowhere. Where did she come from? Where was the buildup? It's not like we got treated to any scenes involving her (don't say that hallucination scene that lasted like 20 seconds long counted, dickclown) or anything like that. It just happened. Like, oh wow, there's her mom. Okay.

The army scene, while providing us with a neat contrast between Aku and Ashi and giving us some action, doesn't really do anything else besides that. It's a generic One-Man Army scene that you've seen a million times before.

As mediocre as the B-plot was, Jack's segment (save the flashback) was where everything really fell apart.

The episode's biggest failing, easily, was how the hallucination just died.

Now, unlike the High Priestess, Jack's conscience got his buildup. For more than half the current run, he has consistently been in opposition to Jack. He has berated him at every turn. He has tried to convince him about how there is no hope, about how there is nothing honorable left to do but kill himself, about how he should abandon everything and everyone and drop dead. With Aku being mostly absent and never in opposition to Jack over the course of S5, his conscience has been the antagonist of the show, the one that always comes in conflict with our hero. He's half a century's worth of inner demons made manifest into a being that runs counter to everything Jack had ever stood for.

And he dies in like, what? Seven seconds?

We never get our climax with Jack and his demons. We don't get a revamped, improved Mad Jack-esque fight where Jack finds inner peace one last time after a brutal fight with his own burning inner hatred.

No, he just says "Oh, you're bad!" and fucking rids himself of the emotional manifest of fifty years' worth of mental degradation instantly.

Then, he reverts back to normal in about one minute.

Jesus wept.

THIS ISN'T YOUR BLOG!

u rite

Agreed, it was kind of lame. If the Aku battle episode is treated this way I'll be mightily disappointed.

is it hate a show for being popular time already?

>expecting Jack to confront his inner aggression with more aggression and triumph when the entire point was recentering and balancing himself
That's how I know you're retarded, there was even already an episode about this and if there was some inner battle you would be complaining about Jack not learning his lesson from when this shit happened before

It was bad it just wasn't a flawless masterpiece like many of the others

I don't see why everyone is complaining about the pacing this ep. It wasn't perfect, but it was good, and the juxtaposition between the battle and meditation was interesting. The mother is probably making a return in ep 10 given that the VA is credited for her lines, so it's not as if she just disappeared either. Every episode is only so long, and there are only ten episodes; Genndy couldn't afford to spend long spans of time on everything.

Jesus Christ, the amount of people watching this show just to hate on it is insane. Is your time really so worthless that you can spend it viewing children's cartoons just to get angry?

People's personal demons typically take longer than an hour(?) meditation session to defeat. Even for the best of us.

First three episodes had Sup Forums's undying love and approval. Everything after that has been either meh or downright bad. Hoping the finale makes up for it.

>complaining about how the passage of time is represented in a TV show
Yeah, you went full retard looking for stuff to complain about

Its kinda already gotten stale at this point.

Ashi ruined the pacing and focus of this season.

We only have 10 episodes. Have them be about his fights with the daughters. Have him conquer his own emotions and demons. He was just completely unnecessary and forced for such a short wrap up season.

She is probably going to kill Aku and Jack is probably going to die and I already hate it

>ruined the pacing
Elaborate, the season was written with her character in mind as integral to the plot, how would you improve it without padding the episodes with more action scenes of Jack or long periods of Jack walking the land

This is much better tbqh

>The army scene, while providing us with a neat contrast between Aku and Ashi and giving us some action, doesn't really do anything else besides that. It's a generic One-Man Army scene that you've seen a million times before.

You described almost half of all episodes from the original Samurai Jack series.
It was never about plot, it was always about the action. Faulting a series with a easy to follow premise that is all about cool action animation for having cool action animation is missing the point.

I have no beef with any of your other points, I even agree with the Hallucination one but come on dude.

>We don't get a revamped, improved Mad Jack-esque fight where Jack finds inner peace one last time after a brutal fight with his own burning inner hatred.

Who's this "we" you're talking about?

>WHY CAN'T YOU GIVE ME LONG ANIMU FIGHT SCENES ME WANT ANIME FIGHT SCENES

>it's another "REEEE THE SHOW DIDN'T PANDER TO MY HEADCANONS THAT MEANS IT'S SHIT" thread
How many times are you going to make these ?

Disregarding how TV time works, user, this took much longer than an hour. Watch the episode again

Fine by me, as long as we dont have any more waifubait taking up our show

How could you have more time against Mad Jack, if there had to be something for Ashi ;)

Her wrecking through an army was hella epic ^^

>I know better than Genndy how to tell a good story

Nope.

Genndy can't do no wrong. It's 10/10 just because

It's amazing so many people here still don't understand Samurai Jack at all.

Look, SJ's plot was only really just a basic platform for Genndy to put cool shit on screen. That's it. SJ was always dominated by rule of cool than anything of substance.

No, really. The show is just an excuse to put cool looking stuff on screen, "kino" if you will. SJ is just there to look awesome. It's not deep although it seems that way sometimes. It's shallow spectacle.

The best way to enjoy the show is to just take it as it is. It's always been mostly about the visuals. Yeah, it sucks that it isn't really deep but we should stop expecting it to be. The reason why the latest season seems to be shitting the bed is because people are expecting the wrong things from it and never "got" the show at all.

Just enjoy the memes.

I propose this theory: i believe the high priestess sent the army just to distract Ashi so she could A) kill Jack while his guard was down and B) kill Ashi by proxy for her betrayal and failure. Now, how did she know where they were is up for debate. It could be she has spies everywhere or maternal intuition.

Can't enjoy it when I cringe because of how bad some scenes are. Fuck you and your memes, I wanted a good cartoon, not some fucking memes.

>Rushed

This season only has 10 episodes

It's already been 7 fucking episodes thank Fucking god he got his sword back

Ashi's mom isn't dead Fucko

>Ashi's mom isn't dead Fucko
Of course, because that cunt deserves an agonizingly slow and painful death.

Shut the fuck up nerd.

Ohhh, so angry!

Be careful, OP; too much stress will give you a heart attack!

Enjoy being disappointed again and again then.

>op points out things that were not up to par in the episode
>LMAO YOU JUST HATE IT BECAUSE IT'S POPULAR
go back to Sup Forums and try not to choke on air you cumguzzler

Disappointment stays with me since episode 4. The funny thing is I removed any expectations about this show and it still manages to disappoint me in one way or another. It's a fucking disaster.

OH, WHAT AM I SAYING? PLEASE CONTINUE! NEVER MIND WHAT I SAID

Seems like you have unrealistic expectations

If we were to watch the original Samurai Jack NOW blind, I'm sure you fucks would act the same way

To sum up, you are mad that its a cartoon. At least I can recognize the pacing issues for what they are, a symptom of a 10 episode series.

Maybe, can't tell for sure. Although I think I'd still like the old artstyle of characters more.

I seriously don't see where all the anger is coming from. From what we're getting, season 5 has been fucking fantastic, and even if every episode isn't perfect, yes, it is flawed, as a whole this thing is legitimately good shit.

The only real problem is that Aku's new voice really isn't that great I'm sorry Greg Baldwin you're really trying but it just doesn't sound right and the lines are not as funny as they could have been, that's the real fucking tragedy here,
why doesn't anyone get this?

Fucking this.

These fucking manchildren expecting their childhood series to be written by Cartoon Jesus with divine plot perfection or something

It's noticeably worse than the original, so it's reasonable to be disappointed.

God. Fucking. Damn.

Give it a rest already, we all know it's just you making these threads faggot.

Honestly I'm just salty his conscience didn't re-manifest into Mad Jack.

The ORIGINAL Mad Jack.

>this is all possible with a time constraint of ten episodes

You guys choose the strangest hills to die on.

The people complaining haven't even watched the first part of the show

>Genndy can't do no wrong. It's 10/10 just because

I agree with this, the show has been almost perfect.

>old samurai jack
>"Holy shit this series is like a fucking battle shonen in length or some shit. How is ANYBODY expected to keep up with this shit, and 90% of the episodes are just monster of the week bullshit! Isn't the point for Jack to go back to the past and beat Aku? The number of seasons is ridiculous!"
>new samurai jack
>"Holy shit this series is so fucking short! Fucking why?! Its like a preview for the real series, but there is no real series! The pacing is terrible!"

>Genndy can't do no wrong.

Yes, that's accurate.

Sometimes there's just no pleasing autists

Even if ironic, some people really believe that. Start thinking for yourselves so your taste gets actually good, instead of trusting other people that may be even more stupid than you in some cases.

>old samurai jack
>episodic show with no end in sight
>new samurai jack
>meant to conclude the series

you are not a bright fellow

They should've just cut out the army and had Ashi facing her mother the entire time. At least it'd make more sense, and we'd get a longer, more satisfying fight between Ashi and her mother.

>Is nobody gonna talk about how rushed Episode 7 was?
Yeah. People were already talking about it here, asshole. Maybe check the other dozen Samurai jack threads before making a completely redundant one of your own.

Many things in books take seconds, people can die in a sentence.
Not everything needs a long monologue and 10 flashbacks you animefag

Then stop watching the goddamn show instead of wasting a half hour of your life getting angry for literally no reason. Why is this apparently so hard for Sup Forums to do?

I think the pacing issues of this new season really stem from the fact Samurai Jack was really meant to be an episodic series. It's a jarring transition for a series that never had any direction with its plot to begin with.

OP has been spamming the fuck out of this for days though, with the latest one being a few hours ago. After a while it stops being criticism and just looks like an autist crying how it didn't live up to his fanfiction.

I have to watch it till the end to see how it ends, that's the whole point.

No it didn't. People were bitching about the first three episodes over and over. Any minor nitpick was complained about as if it was the worst thing in the world.

His fanfiction seems kinda shitty really

>worse than the original

I don't see any difference.

And you need to stop having unwarranted self-importance.

>This season only has 10 episodes
Not an excuse. That's the equivalent of a 3 hours long movie.

How would it take up anymore time than what has already happened?

NO NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH SAMURAI ASHI YOU'RE JUST A STUPID WOMAN-HATING BLIMPF SUPPORTER STOP CATCALLING ME REEEEEEE IM BEING RAPED

Is a excuse you fucking moron, anything that's short is going to have rushed pacing unless the story is ridiculously simple, like fairytale simple.

Sup Forums really has no middle grounds. It's one thing to acknowledge the flaws, but calling it "bad", let alone a disaster? Come the fuck on. The new season isn't anything less than good in most aspects.

>First episode

Complains about edge

>Second episode

Complains about Aku and Ecstasy of gold being unfitting, and the wolf being a needless metaphore

>Episode 3

The wolf not being a metaphor, Jack defeating the daughters of Aku with ease, Ashi.

we don't really know anything about Ashi and her mother's relations to Aku. He seems to not even know they exist.

She'll probably make a return in some form in episode 9.

They only allowed the dude 20 minutes for each episode

he gotta cram his stuff in somewhere

>Is nobody gonna talk about how rushed Episode 7 was?

We've had at least five threads per day since it aired.

I don't disagree, but this is probably the sixth topic about something like this today.

How does getting rid of his aggression balance him anyway?

>Jack before was part aggression (hallucination) and part reason (regular Jack)
>managed to win out over aggression every time, but was not afraid to use it when it came time to fight
>getting rid of all of his aggression makes him balanced?

Maybe I'm just being nitpicky about work choice. Something like "Now you have inner peace" wouldn't have bothered me.

>Complains about Ecstasy of gold being unfitting

literally who

>2 entire episodes were spent converting Ashi.
>The bulk of the previous episode was just Ashi wondering through old Samurai Jack characters and scenes.
>The most recent episode was 50% Ashi.

That's upwards of three episodes worth of time dealing with Ashi. Have her die back in episode 3 with the rest, and there'd have been more than enough time.

Then why give a fuck?

Cry more.

are you saying "you write"? as in, write too much text for me to fucking read. or "you right"? as in, correct. because the former is true but the later I would have to disagree with

Nobody gives a fuck about your salty opinion, user.

I ain't reading all that shit, you come off super autistic from your first few sentences

No shit ten episodes will rush everything.

I'm fine, you're the one with a problem. You don't know how to write better stories than Genndy writes.

>HURR NOBODY SHOULD BE ABOVE CRITICISM THOUGH

No, if you're going around explaining how Van Gogh "dropped the ball" in Starry Night or what Jimi Hendrix's "biggest failing" in guitar solos was, it's either because you're too stupid to understand them or because you're being a pretentious contrarian. You seem to be forgetting Genndy created wildly famous and successful animations that are critically acclaimed and regularly ranked as some of the greatest cartoons of all time while you on the other hand are a worthless nobody. The fact you think you have better story ideas than he does is completely ridiculous. He's not only a professional, he's the professional who did clone wars and samurai jack. Know your place.

You are a fucking retard that doesn't even know what he is talking about. Keep licking Genndy's ass for free though, you definitely know your place.

Ten episodes will rush anything, dude lol

>the guy who's famous for making high quality and hugely popular shows is wrong and some autistic NEET posting from his mom's basement is right

Right, because critically acclaimed Marvel movies are good too, right? They are safe cashgrabs with literally no interesting stuff put into it whatsoever

Samurai Jack is even worse than that, because not only it's not interesting in any trope it presents, but it's not done correctly aswell. It's a failure of bad time management, wrong priorities and just overall low effort.

Now fuck off you waste of human flesh.

Oh, yeah. I mean some of the greatest stories ever told were done in 90 minute movies, but 220 minutes is way too short to do anything that isn't rushed.

Fucking Sup Forums babies. Want everything to be shitty god damn soap opera.

regular jack was ALL of the other emotions. rage was so powerful it manifested as another being. it's like a car with one monster truck wheel.

So you're shocked that the High Priestess would hunt down Jack?

Or that he wouldn't have a violent struggle with his violent incarnation?

Such a huge wall of text and I'm perplexed as to how you have a problem.

I don't think the OP was upset about that.

I think the OP is upset by the lack of substantial buildup and rushed events/pacing.

IS THERE PORRIDGE IN THIS THREAD?

Sup Forums

Ashi gets development
>SAMURAI ASHI, AMIRITE GUYS?
>Where's Jack?
>You know this show's about Jack right?

Ashi doesn't get development
>Fucking waifubait
>She just comes out of nowhere to save Jack
>MOVING PLOT DEVICE

>Jack fighting his rage

Counter-productive and spiritually wrong. The episode showed Jack's rage getting the best of him as he killed innocent animals. Besting his range in a peaceful way through meditation was the most satisfying way for it to be done. Having a big macho fight would have undercut the theme of the episode. Everyone's missed the point of the Ashii stuff, it's not just her development, but Jack's at the same time. As he explains the evil of Aku, he is also regaining his purpose. Saving Ashii and redeeming her, helps redeem himself. The meditation scene is a visual culmination of the journey Jack's been on since the start.

It kind of works for the present-day Aku - he's depressed and moping all the time after 50 years of FOOLISH SAMURAI - but hearing it used in the flashback just made me realize how un-Mako it was.

The nigga is dead. Get over it.

The scene with Ashi's mother was hot as fuck, so I'm ok with it.

That's how he defeated Mad Jack.