Free Comic book day

My local comicbook store is doing give aways for the first 20 people in line. While I'd like to be the first third (They get alot) in line that's probably not gonna happen. What are the chances that I'm one of the first 20? When should I go? Should I wait overnight? I've never done this before. Also FCBD general. What are you picking up? Does your store have any closed door deals?

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2016/04/15/2016-is-a-terrible-year-for-comics-so-far-and-theres-no-reason-it-wont-get-worse/
independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/marvel-comic-book-sales-falling-vp-diversity-women-a7662771.html
freecomicbookday.com/Article/188086-Free-Comic-Book-Day-2017-Full-List-of-Comic-Books-Announced
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If you've never done it before to see the scope of what happens there's no real way to determine.

I went to wine shortly after opening and everything was gone by the time I got inside.

I passed by one about 2 years ago thinking I could get in, and the line was massive, but that was around 2 or 3. They open at 11. No matter whether I end up the first 20 I'm gonna be up at around 3am, because it's something I've always wanted to do, but ever got a chance.

I'm going to try to show up about a half hour before they open, last time I went in the afternoon I was in line for an hour and a half.

people don't read comics anymore. You will be ok.

>Stores that cater to a large specific fandom, create a day for that fandom
>You'll be ok.

or maybe they are desperate and they have to give their shit for free to get new fans

Here's your (you), keep talking

My shop is having a sale, no idea if it's just going to be a big clearance pile or a general sale

Also some attending pros like Francesco Francavilla

Oh shit, I almost forgot about Free comic book day.

it sucks, I'm flat broke for FCBD. So no scooping sales for me.

Can anyone explain what free comic book day is? Do you just walk in and get a free comic? Free with purchase?

Depends on what store you go to. Each one is free to handle it however they like.

What comics are you planning on picking up?

Every day is free comic book day.

You should go to the FCDB site and find your store and check their site to see if they explain how they handle it, because it's up to them.

Also on their site is a list of this year's free comics. Mine lets you pick five of those and you can get more if you spend some money.

The only definite is TMNT. And probably Simpsons, since its tradition.

The rest depends on how many I can get out of them.

Where are you getting your comics from?
I am going to Captain Nemos in Cali if anyone wants to do a meet up.

>Dredd
>Star Trek
>TMNT
>The Tick

Does FCBD really bring in new readers? Sales are shit, so I can't imagine it's working that well.

>Star Trek TNG
>XO Manowar
>2000AD
>The Incal (weird that they're doing that)
>TMNT
>The Tick
>Monster High

Some, what it does is bring in HUGE sales. Most stores will make the equivalent of a month or more in sales on that day.

Captain Blue Hen Comics, Newark DE.

>muh comic industry is flourishing

bleedingcool.com/2016/04/15/2016-is-a-terrible-year-for-comics-so-far-and-theres-no-reason-it-wont-get-worse/

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/marvel-comic-book-sales-falling-vp-diversity-women-a7662771.html

kek, better begin reading manga or books, faggot.

I'm gonna try to hit up 2-3 places and get at least one of everything.

Fantagraphics, Bongo, 2000AD, and whatever else catches my eye when I get there.

I'll be getting the Secret Empire issue + the new Spidey #0

reminder there's a comic with meg mogg owl, boys club, and MORE indie stuff

and if you dont get it youre not Sup Forums

OP here just found the sales on their FB site. It's a buy one get one half off on most items.

You are a retarded faggot. Marvel is doing shit and is shit but comics in general are doing great. Kill your self.

a (You) for responding.

(You)

Probably just that one, last I got the SFV because of Karin

they said the same thing about record store day too, you can only do the gimmick so many years before people get tired of the watered-down novelty bullshit releases clogging up the list of "exclusives"

>The Incal (weird that they're doing that)
que?

I don't even know because my LCS is always late on shipments, so I'll just go in a buy a silver age.

but there's no free CD's that day? is it?

Does anyone know if if there is anything hellboy or bprd related coming out for fcbd? I think last year there was a short hellboy story in the serenity comic

Salem is right

Most stores (ones I've been to) have between 20-30 free floppies available, albeit a limited amount. I've been to some where you take one of any that you're interested in. Some stores, like my current LCS, sort of view it as an annoyance and limit the number of free titles you can take (up to four) while other stores try to make it their biggest biz day of the year with big blowout sales and deals. Just ring up your preferred LCS and see what they're offering.

I'm a weekly reader and I have avoided it the last couple years. It just isn't worth the rat race when you can read most of the big publishers' free books online on ComiXology from the comfort of your couch without waiting in line with the dregs of humanity.

Well, my penis is telling me that I'm going to get that one, for sure.

>freecomicbookday.com/Article/188086-Free-Comic-Book-Day-2017-Full-List-of-Comic-Books-Announced

Prepare yourselves.

Various publishers put out special issues specifically for FCBD. A few of them are unique content specifically for the event, but many are effectively first issues or other reprints meant as teasers. Any shop participating in FCBD will have some, but usually not all of the different comics listed on FCBD's website.

In addition to the comics made for the event, retailers may offer other giveaways or special discounts and deals. Some more established stores may go even further with stuff like writer/artist signings and other events but all this extra stuff is entirely up to the individual retailer.

Is that the Fantagraphics one?

I didn't see the Archaia one this year.
Is their annual MouseGuard in the Boom book?
Cause I NEED my MouseGuard fix.

The Ladybug FCBD. Curious about it.

While Marvel's over-shipping will probably have left them with some dead stock to get rid of there is a reason they release FCBD specific titles. Nobody wants to give away paid-for stock. Even if it's dead.

I'm just going to walk down to the comic stores and get whatever isn't an ongoing Marvel/DC comic while buying the rest of those Superman/Batman trades.

Fcbd titles are paid-for stock though

Some places put their over stock on discount but I have never seen them put it with FCBD titles. The FCBD titles are 10-25 cents for the store, a lot less loss than a regular title.

I've never been to a FCBD, can you just buy anything for free or does it have to be from a list of specific books?

a specific list of books will be free. Most have a limit, or charge for above that or you have to buy something in the store to break the limit. Most stores also have sales cause this is their busiest day of the year. The nice thing is that there are usually artists, authors and other people that have booths sometimes.

Last year a local band gave out a whole trade for free, which came with their album. They had a bunch of artists translate their songs into comic stories and just gave out the whole thing. It's pretty cool.

Specific books.
It's the comics equivalent of free samples. Comics made specifically for it. Some previews of upcoming events. Others short stories to give readers an idea of what the ongoing comic is like.

But a lot of places will have sales.

Most of the LCS I went to during FCBD would have $1 back issues up front and maybe discounts on trades.

Only 20? wow. My store is Acme Comics in Greensboro, NC. Normally I make fun of the owner and staff for being fedora wearing faggots but I have to give them crdeit. they have turned FCBD into an EVENT. Tomorrow we will have to get there around 730-8 am and stand in line till 10 to get in the middle of a very very very long line. Probably averaging 2000 people at these things each year. IDK what their supplies are limited to but I alwasy get a fat bag of free comics...maybe all that companies are offering. at least 1000 people get these free bags plus theres cosplayers everywhere...including tiny little college girls in spandex...very sexy...some pro artists will do sketches with autographs. Sometimes theres a live band or a radio station will set up and broadcast. parkin gis a bitch and the long wait is a a mix of aggravation and entertainment.
if any Nc bros plan to be there i will be the guy with the hot blonde on my arm and a shit eating grin because shes half my age and will wake me up with a blowjob.
Peace.
PS_ yes, Acme guys, the fedoras look stupid but carry on. carry on.

Yeah, it's in the Boom Summer Blast. It was the same way last year, I think.

Idk why I'm so hype for the comic sales my LCS has.
It is right next to a used book store that's ALWAYS 50% off.

In my lcs here we can order 5 comics.
Asked for the ones in pic.
And then, which are left i guess.
It is an extra event for Germany, so dont know if we get any US Comics. But Ladybug, Marvel, Bongo, Tick or Streetfighter would be nice.

Wait, snakes can suck water? Thought thats kinda restricted to beaked animals.

And kek and your trouser analogy.

Hilda's Back

depends what they have really

Those look good. I have that Lady Mechanika, the art is really good.

My stores doing a 15% off everything except new items so I'm just going to hope I get there early enough that the Gotham central omnibus is still there. My lcs is really popular though, last year they had a line up of three hundred by the time they opened at 9

Ok, than i`m happy i pre-ordered it. Noice

Descendants because why the hell not?

Mal is best girl

I just want that street fighter issue. Store is having a nice sale so I'll stop by. They open at 11 but last year some goofballs started a line at 5 in the morning, I'm afraid I won't get anything.

Guess you should tell that to all the people at my LCS the last FCBD.
Line was fucking 3 blocks back.

Is the Secret Empire book any different from the #1 that just came out? And are there no DC books? I feel like the line up this year is lack luster.

There are two DC books. Wonder Woman and DC Superhero Girls .

I think it's an in-between of #0 and #1 of Secret Wars. A little filler. I'm sure its going to be snagged quickly, so I'm definitely picking that up.

The only store within an hour of me is listed on the FCBD site as participating but the store's website says nothing about it or even whether they have the newest releases. Not sure if I should go.

There are like 17 LCS events going on tomorrow for FCBS in my city, I'm going to see if I can make it to 11 of them, and at the very least five of them before 3pm. Doable? I'm not sure.

What's the difference between gold and silver comics?

>street fighter wrestling special
>no Zangief in the cover

They distinguish age groups the comics are meant for.

Retailers have to get all the Gold ones. Every store participating will have them. Silver they can pick and choose and get all, some or none.

Most stores limit how many free comics you can take so everyone can get some. If you want specific comics you may be out of luck. Next year prepare in advance, go in your LCS and talk to them and it shouldn't be a problem. Not a week in advance, two months in advance.

Lots of beaked animals can't suck water. Most just skim their jaw on the water like a ladle and tip back their heads.

>wanna go to my LCS
>anxious as fuck

Can I just walk in and slip out without anyone noticing or will I just be a fucking weirdo?

I'm pretty sure the people working at your LCS will notice...

Good thing I'm going to just vanish from existence after I embarrass myself again

I got all the FCBD comics I wanted weeks ago. It pays to have a good relationship with the store owner.

>having relationships
lol what a fucking loser

So why don't you just order all your comics online and cut out the human interaction part?

It'll probably be busy and the only person who'll notice is whoever gives you the comics. Even they'll immediately forget you.

Just don't fuck up.

LCS is allowing 10, haven't read comics in ages, what should I get?

A lot of stuff is reprints. Grab the ones that are new material.

I Hate Image and Secret Empire are new. Not sure about others off the top of my head, both DC books are reprints.

Ended up getting I hate Image and my brother got rick and morty and spongebob.
The Rick and morty one is awful and spongebob isn't half bad. More meta then I expected.

Could only pick one. I wanted Ladybug somewhat but the art was kinda shitty,

Just got home from my free comic book day event I got absolute new frontier and Gotham central omnibus for $100 dollarydoos I also got wonderwoman by Perez and the entirety of y the last man.
Also can confirm I hate image is great. We get to see kirkman get his head chopped in half and walking dead get shit on.

Are you going to scan your FCBD comics for us to read them?

Anybody want I hate Image,Rick and Morty or spongebob?

I too just got home from the only free comic book day event in the whole country. Bought Justice by Alex Ross and Saga Book 2 for 100 dorras. Got some decent free like I Hate Image.

2000AD and half price 40k models are the only reason I even bother with FCBD.

Ausfag here, back from FCBD.
I went ape shit last year so I decided to be modest this year. One free comic and one purchase.
I was looking to get All-Star Superman too but it was sold out.

Noice.

I hope you like Cursed Earth