In Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Eddie Valient was prejudiced against toons because of the death of his brother...

In Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Eddie Valient was prejudiced against toons because of the death of his brother, but seemed to be completely fine with Betty Boop, why do you think that was?

Betty Boop was his waifu

Because your dick overrides prejudice.

She was relatively normal compared to most toons.

Courtesy

She was one of the good ones.

The critic rarely finds fault in his own childhood experiences. After all, he turned out fine. It's those newfangled wacky toons that are the problem.

I always assumed it's because the two probably have met each other before the incident and Betty as a toon was far more laidback and less exaggerated then most.

we have a winner

Now, son. I've known some fine toons over the years. Stand up toons. Toons as individuals are great folk. But toons as a race, they are not to be trusted.

They had a history, I thought that was obvious?

human looking toons get the same 'I kinda wanna fuck you so I'll be polite for now' treatment that kinda pale black women got/get

Eddie's known Boop for a long, long time.

>Eddie acts like he doesn't even know Yosemite Sam when he and Santino go to the Acme Factory
Betty is the only exception, Eddie shows nothing but contempt and bigotry to cartoons until Jessica saves him from Doom

To be fair, Eddie was, up until the movie started, obviously still hurting from the violent murder of his Brother. He only lashes out at other humans, specifically this one drunk dope who made fun of his past work with said sibling. He's helped a bunch of toons but I imagine most of them are still strangers to him, and he wasn't willing to help them any more.

Betty Boop must have been an acquaintance from before then; whether as a client or a friend of the Valiant bros. Sure Jessica Rabbit (literally) catches him with his pants down, but beyond that, Eddie was completely faithful to Dolores, so a past fling is probably not where they know each other from.

His brother was a Betty Boop Fan, you can see a Betty figure on their desk, maybe that's why he like her.

But surely Sam was too, getting him out of "the Hoosegow" and giving him a beloved gift. The bullets say it's been over nine years. You'd think he'd have the common decency to give that cowboy even a knowing glance, not disgust for him as a concept.

I figure that Eddie was just too ashamed/embarrassed to approach or talk to him, given the givens.

...That, or Sam lights his ass on fire on a daily basis, and everyone around the guy is totally inured to it by now.

She flashed people whenever she moved.

Shit I never caught that before.

You think they dated?

Both I think. He is a toon after all.

She's still got it.

Its actually expanded upon in cut scenes and in the stuff on Eddy's desk. For example he had a signed Betty Boop picture on his desk. He also had a picture of his father who worked as a juggler in the circus (hence Eddy juggling in the final 10 minutes of the film like a pro)
Eddy and his bro were jokers. When his brother died, his sense of humor died. There's another picture, I THINK, of them both pushing a pie into the other's face.

He was a casual racist. He's not "GAS THE TOONS, MEDIA WAR NOW!" he just didn't want to get too involved in their bullshit. It's like if a PI could hold a conversation with a black person even had some acquaintances but when it came to cases "I don't get involved with Blacks, they're not worth the trouble?

just turn off your brain bro

But in using our brains we were able to come up with satisfying answers that add subtle depth to the characters.

sorry I already turned off my brain so I can't come up with an adequate response

A gentlemen always thinks the best of a dame.

doll, picture. close enough

I assumed it was one of those things where Betty was a friend from a long time ago, before his brother died, so he had a soft spot for her on a personal level that went past his distaste for toons.

Eddie and his brother grew up as clowns in the circus. Even in their police academy graduation photo they're wearing big red noses and cutting up. Eddie's got the part of a hard-boiled detective down pat but it's his clownish upbringing that saves the day at the end of the movie. He bursts into a spontaneous song and dance slapstick routine so hilarious and unexpected that it causes a whole group of toons to die laughing. That's a hell of a feat.

When we meet Eddie he's a broken man whose been living inside a bottle ever since his brother was murdered fives years before. Murdered by a mysterious toon, whom up until then had been Eddie and Teddy's main clientele. This kind of thing simply isn't supposed to happen, and Eddie, who wasn't at all ashamed of he and his brother's reputation as friends to toons everywhere suffered an existential breakdown along with the loss of his brother.

So at the beginning of the movie we're meeting a pretty fucked up guy. He's just a mess, and he's at war with his very nature. We see bits and pieces of it resurface, such as when he warmly and naturally responds to his old friend Betty, but it's not until the end of the movie that he comes to terms with who he really is, an unabashed clown as close to being a toon as humanly possible. This moment of redemption leads directly to his confrontation with Judge Doom and the long-awaited reckoning with his brother's murderer. But until then Eddie's angsty and surly demeanor is an act, a defense mechanism. It's not in his nature at all.

>who framed roger rabbit was actually this deep

well shit

Nice catch, I'd never noticed.

>Theodore J. Valiant
Holy crap, their names were Eddie and Teddy.

>Holy crap, their names were Eddie and Teddy.
I mean, thinking back, I recall it being mentioned somewhere, but it just hit me that their names had a rhyming thing going on.

God damn I missed that completley

A great summary. Man it may not be true to the source material but its still a fine movie with depth.

This exactly. The moment he shoots the bottle and heads to ToonTown is a huge turning point for him. It's a sign that he's actually willing to face who he really is and no longer drown his sorrows in booze.

And despite himself Eddie is more in his element in Toontown than he is in the real world. Sure he's the butt of everyone's joke(part of why they all take the piss with him is probably because they've missed him so much. I remember getting that impression even as a kid seeing the movie in the theater) but he seems to accept that role instead of just dissolving into rage, terror or madness. I haven't seen the movie in a while but I'm pretty sure it's implied at some point that humans just do not go into Toontown. Eddie strides right in seamlessly and becomes a perfect comic foil to a small army of loony toons taking their turns fucking with him. It's a symbolic journey in a way wherein he reawakens a part of himself that leads directly to how he defeats the Weasels later on.

Also Hoskins was capable of such tremendous physical comedy. He could have been the fourth Stooge.

>The desk calendar is left on the day Teddy died.