So who was he?

Other urls found in this thread:

acriticalhit.com/fans-react-empire-strikes-back-1980/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it doesn't matter, that's the point. he was incompetent, he poked the bear, he died. End.

He existed to be a hurdle for Kylo Ren to clear in his evolution as the series antagonist.

History doesn't matter, where you come from doesn't matter. What you do matters.

Nobody

A force vampire, and he's not dead.

Deep words for a neckbearded soyboy

It's simple. He's Snoke

>He existed to be a hurdle for Kylo Ren to clear in his evolution as the series antagonist.
This.

He was a skater boy.

Ren said to him "later, boy"

>who was he?
a poor man hack hack director's interpretation of pic related...

Dude, Luke's not really dead, he's one with the Force. Now get over it.

>swayed Ben Solo to the dark side
>drove Luke Skywalker into hiding
>created the First Order
>conquered the galaxy
>who is he? where did he come from?

lol who cares, doesn't matter!

Well it was the same actor who did Smeagol and Snoke.

john frusciante

If Plagiarist the Wise could cheat death using the force then surely someone EVEN MORE in touch with the force could (i.e. Luke)

Roger Ebert.

A cog in the plot of the movie. His character? Worthless except for his function in the plot. His motivations? Doesn't really matter, his only thoughts are to move the plot along. His history? None, he exists at the whim of the writer so a plot can be contrived. Supreme Leader Soy isn't so much a character as he is just the crowbar of a lazy and incompetent writer.

y'd luke die?

Who are you, motherfucker?

Snoke the Undying formerly Snoke's Foke and Soke

and kong.

tired

MITCH CONNOR

>where you come from doesn't matter.
This. If Rey had been someone important's daughter, then we would be complaining that, "Oh, she's just a female Luke, a child destined to be great."

Now, we have a galaxy where anyone can potentially be great in the Force, not just a few who have some grand inherited destiny.

Either the movies are too damn close to the originals, or they are too divergent.

Sup Forums of forty years ago would have watched tESB and complained about the Emperor's use of Force Lightning as being something the filmmakers just pulled out of their ass.

And of course, Sup Forums would still be complaining about women and minorities, but the Sup Forums of forty years ago would be complaining about Lando and Yoda.

He simply lost the will to live, just turn your brain off. Projecting himself used up all his force points even though Yoda explicitly says size and distance don't matter because the force connects everything.

>History doesn't matter

m'feline

Did Darth Plagueis actually cheat death or was that just a story that Darth Sidious fed to Anakin to make him do something desperate and stupid?

Some random old retard who lived for no reason and died for no reason. Like Rey's parents, and Luke, and the entire Jedi order.

Nothing matters, good and evil are artificial constructs, God isn't *burp* real.

Fuck white people and smash capitalism btw

Some goon. Nobody really important. Kylo bitchboy wasn't even looking at him when he killed him. Couldn't even sense the force or read Kylo's mind that the guy was actually using the force.

>He existed to be a hurdle for Kylo Ren to clear in his evolution as the series antagonist.
>series antagonist gets BTFO two movies in a row by the protagonist

He takes after Padme.

I always assumed that Sidious lied about harnessing the power for himself and only Plagueis could do it but now I think about it why wouldn't Plagueis just come back to life and murder the fuck out of Palpatine for double crossing him

It doesn't matter who he was, what matters was his plan.

He was also a plot device to explain why the status quo of NuWars is so incongruous with the status quo we saw established through the OT

Handwaving away that crucial part of the story is retarded. People are mad because they don’t like retarded cop outs by lazy storytellers. Not that complicated

I disagree. Firstly, his name is fucking snoke. What kind of fucking name is That? Sounds like some sort of nickname, like perhaps he wants to hide his true identity. Secondly, he has that disfigured face all wounded and shit with the big scar on his head. Don't you want to know why he looks like That? Yes you do because he was made to make you think that.

What is snoke 's real identity? (Cuz theres no way his name is fucking "snoke") How did he gain leadership of first order? How is he powerful with the force? Did he have jedi or sith training? How did he get those wounds? How did he seduce kylo ten?

Darth Plagueis could never cheat his own death, he just figured out how to stop other people from dying. The legends book expounded on this by showing that it required considerable effort and Sheev catches Plagueis off guard, killing him before he has a chance to fully realize what's going on, at which point he's too weak to summon up the power needed to save himself.

The point of Sheev's speech wasn't really that Plagueis literally could never save himself, it was that he made a mistake in teaching Sheev all his secrets.

>the entire Jedi order.

That was well-established in the prequel trilogy that the Jedi order had already become a bureaucratic government organ.

Luke failed because he tried to re-create an order that he was never a part of and had only knowledge of when it was decadent and lazy.
That's why Yoda destroyed the Jedi archives. He saw the original Jedi order's degradation first-hand and saw what it led to. If it was re-founded, it would just end up in the same place, which would be completely pointless.

He was The MacGuffin that lit the spark that burned the imagination of soyim worldwide.

I burst out laughing at his death. Fucking half in a trance mumbling like incantations and gets spliced right under his nose lmao what are they doing to star wars

>Luke failed because he tried to re-create an order that he was never a part of

This is why TLJ sucks. Johnson failed to understand that part of ROTJ Luke's character development was that he was not his father, but he was also not Obi-Wan and Yoda. He represented a new type of Jedi. Not the last of the old Jedi, but the first of the new.

You're approaching this from the standpoint of a veteran Star Wars fan, who is used to an extended universe full of cool characters, all of which have stories.

The classic example is Boba Fett. If you go back and watch the original movies, Boba Fett has like five minutes of screen time and no lines. He just has seriously cool armor.
But fans fixated on him and next thing, he's got comics and novels and he sort of becomes a major part of the prequels.

But really, he was nobody. No character development, nothing.

So, Snoke is made to tease Star Wars fans like this, but if you expect every character to get some backstory and development, the movies would be hundreds of hours long.

How did Maz Kanata get Luke's lightsaber? Who are the Knights of Ren, have we seen them? There are questions, sure, but there will always be questions that only an extended universe of books and comics will answer.

He is an evil, white, nazi, MALE. No other context needs to exist famalam.

Oh, wait. You want your characters to have some depth? How very racist and bigoted, not to mention misogynist of you.

>Now, we have a galaxy where anyone can potentially be great in the Force, not just a few who have some grand inherited destiny.

Isn’t that what Anakin demonstrated?

>He represented a new type of Jedi.

yes, and he lost his way. he just tried to be an old-style jedi in a new old-style jedi order. luke failed to embrace the new thing he was because he was scared. luke has always been scared of something.

he was scared of being lured to the dark side. when ben began to get tempted, luke was scared that he did a shitty job teaching him to resist temptation.

He probably thinks Rey should have flaws and character development/an arc...

Paul Walker played him quite well

Did you read a world I wrote? That's out of character for Luke.

broken heart ;(

Anakin was a literal messiah born of an immaculate conception, dingus.

Just some bad guy, like the Emperor in ESB, which by the way everyone HATED back in the day, just like TLJ.

No, that's the literal opposite of Anakin, who was a prophesied Force messiah born of a virgin, with midichlorian counts that bury the needle.

Rey is no one. Her ability with the Force is due to her nature and character, not because she's the abandoned child of two runaway Jedi or some shit.

TACO FLAVORED KISSES

Sheev is so based. Not like Snoke the joke.

> Ben wakes up and saw Luke making the retardedly out of character attempt to murder his nephew in his sleep
> Ben, a small child, conveniently renders Jedi Master Luke unconscious
> Ben doesn’t kill unconscious Luke - though he obsesses over doing so for the rest of the series - but instead kills his fellow students (???)
> somehow (???) ends up with Snoke (who they couldn’t be bothered to even try to flesh out)
> Luke decides “oh well” and abandons everyone and goes off to die alone (this is just pathetically bad writing)
> let’s billions if not trillions die as a result of his mess, makes no effort to help
> leaves a map with R2, but is mad when someone finds him
> wants the Jedi to end, but babysits the Jedi temple
> sees Chewie and gives him a hug and then never speaks to him again, as if they weren’t great friends
> Rey finds out he pulled a lightsaber on Kylo, immediately pulls a lightsaber on Luke like a hypocrite and he trips over his feet like a faggot
> makes no effort to redeem Kylo even though he’s he far more conflicted than Vader was, refuses to kill his mom, cares for Rey, etc. He’s just irredeemable because the plot calls for it
> force skypes himself to the final fight, doesn’t tell anyone to run, they only escape because of a series of poorly written contrivances
> brushes dirt off his shoulder, Neo bullet time
> dies from the effort of force skype
> his final words before dying without fixing any of his mess: “See you around, kid”

And then everyone literally just leaves out the back and flies away like a bad Loony Tunes gag

Probably the most badly written flick I’ve seen in several years desu

I did. I read every word. It's out of character for 20-year old Luke at the end of RotJ, but who knows what 60-year old Luke is like?

We only saw Luke for a period of about three years at the very beginning of his education in the Force.

Except the Emperor appeared in RotJ after the build-up of ESB, and his death is the climax of the series.

An empty mystery box.

How strong in the force is Kong?
Is Kong a Sith lord?
Darth Kong?

Yeah, but then again, he’s also just a randomly chosen kid. Anakin could have been anyone, just as Rey could be.

I would be fine with Luke becoming a bitter and cynical enough to do what he did with Ben if there was some justification for it. Like if something happened to change him, maybe I could buy it. Alas, nothing like that exists in the movie, so it's terribly OOC and makes the whole thing beyond retarded.

>which by the way everyone HATED back in the day

This gets buried these days because of how it's the best in the series now, but in 1980 everyone bitched about how dismal and gloomy it was.

Fans saw it once and stayed home, not wanting to be depressed a second time.

So, Lucas responded with Ewoks as punishment.

Yeah everyone hated the EMPEROR, leader of the EMPIRE, what the main cast was fighting against for three movies.

No, he wasn't chosen. His mom was chosen to be fucked by the Force. Anakin was always the One.

>Plagiarist the Wise
The scourge of Jedi academia.

Wow, literal retards.

>he’s also just a randomly chosen kid.

The actor playing him certainly was, but Anakin was conjured-up by the Force itself. That's about as extraordinary as it gets.

Luke is the son of this Force Jesus.

Kylo Ren is the grandson of Force Jesus, son of two Rebellion heroes, trained by Luke

Rey is the abandoned child of local drunks, both of whom are now dead.

Fair enough, are midichlorians still a thing?

This shill meme again. Nobody hated Empire, only some critics, but the fans loved it.

I don't think it matters. They were never anything more than a for Lucas to establish Anakins's power level being even greater than Yoda's.

He looks like the type of guy who would sell off his daughter for drinking money

>Alas, nothing like that exists in the movie,

There's still a third one coming out. Plenty of stuff was explained in the Return of the Jedi that cleared up questions in the Empire Strikes Back.

Luke will be back as a Force ghost to deliver some exposition in the next movie.

This. I’m not “bothered” by them changing the characters or subverting expectations. I AM bothered by lazy, hack writing that doesn’t believably present any of the ideas they want me to accept

The explanation for Luke’s character regression in this film was actually pathetic

>History doesn't matter, where you come from doesn't matter. What you do matters.

The most disgustingly modern liberal view possible.

My feelings exactly. This guy is A faggot

Not only is Anakin “Force Jesus”, but he still trains for a decade and then still loses badly in his first lightsaber duel and loses his sword arm

Rey literally just has the Force all of the sudden and is better than literally everyone at flying, wielding lightsabers, mind tricks, levitating objects, etc

>>History doesn't matter, where you come from doesn't matter. What you do matters.
>The most disgustingly modern liberal view possible.

OK, I understand.

>We need to provide for those who are born into lesser means so that everyone has an equal chance at success
...fuckin' liberals
>where you come from doesn't matter, you are responsible for your own level of personal success.
...fuckin' liberals

>There's still a third one coming out.

this is where I'm sitting for now. These things come in threes, we always knew they would make a third and the movies are, for better or worse, viewed in the context of their respective trilogies.

The only one of any trilogy that really has to stand on its own is the first one, because if it sucks, then no one will watch the second. The second can be a little more open ended and incomplete-feeling because there's a third one coming out.

Which will be out in like two years and maybe they'll explain enough to answer the questions from this one, or maybe they really are as bad at this as it seems.

This. All that matters is the present, and future, not the past. The force is female, and anyone who doesn't "get it," will be left in the dustbin of history.

Jeff.

acriticalhit.com/fans-react-empire-strikes-back-1980/

This is an interesting read.

There's an interesting line about how some people complained about how racist and sexist tESB was.

the first movie was shit too

What an embarrassing franchise

Forget it, boys. I'm not watching IX after this debacle. There's nothing left to care for. The OT cast is dead, Snoke is dead, the new characters are shit, and the climax is Rey vs Kylo again. I've already seen that and I know how it ends.

>history doesn’t matter
Jesus Christ

He was a second rate Emperor rip-off when none of the personality or charisma. Dispensing with him was one of the few things that this movie actually did right.

and before we had the prequels, the emperor was just some big bad with a fucked up face

>published Dec. 21, 2017
Yes, I'm sure this article is legit and not Disney damage control.

Quigon Jin

After Rogue One, and, really, after the prequel trilogy I decided that special thing the original movies had for me was me, watching as a child.

There was literally nothing that George Lucas could do to recapture the sense of wonder that I got as an eight-year old watching Star Wars for the first time.

The original movies were made for children of the 80s. The prequels were made for children of the '00s. These movies are being made for the children of today.

I'd say I got lucky in that regard, but I can't say if some 20-year old of today who experienced the prequels as a child didn't absolutely love them.

>history matters. It's the only way that I can justify my self-importance and sense of entitlement. Without it, I have to compete on equal footing with everyone else.

They cite their sources.

Difference being that was the original trilogy where we had no real backstory for anyone. Now that we know what happened in the clone wars and sheev's rise to power, who the Sith were, etc. we have to wonder who the fuck is this guy if he's not a Sith?

How so?

History matters because everything we deal with and experience now is a direct result of the actions and choices of those from the past. It is important to examine all of their choices and actions, identify which are beneficial and which are harmful, laud the good ones and dissuade idiots from trying those again.

This is a picture of me btw

Not cherry-picked at all I'm sure.

that thing on your chin looks like your eyebrows had a baby.