Why was a franchise beloved almost exclusively by males handed over to an all female working group who idolized Leia...

Why was a franchise beloved almost exclusively by males handed over to an all female working group who idolized Leia (and not her bikini body)?

Women were a mistake

I don't get double standards when it comes to sexism.

Jews etc.

>Why was a franchise beloved almost exclusively by males handed over to an all female working group who idolized Leia (and not her bikini body)?

To give them enough rope to hang themselves.

So, can we blame women for the TLJ mishap?

Attempt to broaden the market, more fans mean more cash.

inb4 apologize to George

He sold it to Disney when he had no reason to. This is much worse than making the prequels. Absolute moron.

Women see something men are paying attention instead of them and feel the visceral need to destroy it.

It's called "having contempt for your audience"

George definitely hates the fans even more. He sold out to Disney purely out of spite because the fans didn't like Jar-Jar.

this

fpbp

Alienating your core demographic means less money.

This. It’s less some SJW conspiracy and more corporate greed.

They’ve already captured the male fans. Young boys everywhere love Star Wars and will continue too love it no matter what. As long as they can dress up as Vader they’re happy. The big wigs made a move to try and convince young girls all this Star Wars merchandise is for them too.

Nah George is a passive-aggressive type of guy just like RLM said. I'm fairly sure he knew who he was dealing with since he's part of the Hollywood so he did entirely out of spite against people who hated prequels.

I, personally, didn't mind Jar Jar and would've loved a Darth Jar Jar.

Single old bitches love book clubs.

Christ on a crutch, so very this.

The core demographic is hooked already. Do you know a single Star Wars fan who didn’t see TFA or TLJ because Rey is the lead? I know plenty who hate it but none who straight up refused to go. They keep coming because of nostalgia.

If the "Jar Jar is actually a sith" theory had come true, Lucas would have been a genius God amongst men

Fans also provide word of mouth and drag along other people and do repeat business and create continuous buzz.

You alienate your base at your peril.

>The core demographic is hooked already. Do you know a single Star Wars fan who didn’t see TFA or TLJ because Rey is the lead?

I know quite a few people who have said they're done with Star Wars after the way TLJ treated Luke.

Too bad he lacked the balls.

They went once to see the hubbub, they aren't repeat viewing like TFA because they all think it sucked

Why the deliberate attempt in TLJ to deconstruct Star Wars then? Seriously. That was a middle-finger to fans, and non-fans wouldn't understand or appreciate what was happening.

Just like the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones!

Not that guy, but those same fans will stop buying merch, seeing the thing multiple times in the cinema, buying dvds etc. They might just start to pirate it and not give a dime to anyone.

Your memory is bad, kid. TPM and AttC were much better received by fans than this. Yeah we made fun of some corny dialogue but overall the fans and non-fans had a good time the movies had better box office legs than TLJ.

>Just like the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones!

Huh? Why are you in denial about this? Just admit it, they fucked Luke up and they did it on purpose, out of spiteful contempt for the core audience of Star Wars and the original trilogy's "patriarchal" message.

People have been saying as long as you slap the brand on it will sell. Next two movies we will see if fans are still hanging on.

Then they're all fucking retards and should be gassed

Deliberate hatred of white males by the people in hollywood.

It was revenge for trump. You watch the next 7 years as they destroy all iconic white male heroes and their franchises. I dont understand why you morons still pay for hollywood's shit when they fucking hate you for who you are

This. After TFA my Facebook feed was full of people talking about how they were seeing it multiple times. Nary a peep about TLJ, mostly people shit-talking it.

>females
>not ruining everything they touch

Explain Justice League. At a certain point the fanbase dwindles. Star Wars fanbase is huge, worth hundreds of millions, why the fuck would you ignore them?

i agree. They should have confirmed luke gay

> hey come see our movie because of your nostalgia
> heyyyy don't forget to ignore your nostalgia!

>Ms.
>not Mrs.

Gee what a surprise.

He sold Lucasfilm because it was bleeding money and he didn't want his 2000 employees to lose their jobs. He probably thought they would milk the franchise until it's dry, which means lots of work for Lucasfilm, but little did he knew that nu-Disney is so incompetent they killed the brand in less than 5 years.

Yes actually, my best friend of 15 years refused to watch it because Rey is the lead, he was pissed off they never finished Luke's story. He's a big Star Wars fan and has played a lot of the games and read some of the EU. (Not the majority, but he isn't a reader.)
I told him what happened to Luke in TLJ and let's just say he wasn't very happy.

the core demographic in literally anything is smaller than the mass market
first you make niche thing targeted at a specific audience, gets popular, makes some money, then someone else buys it up and shits all over it to market it to the lowest common denominator because nobody is ever satisfied and everyone wants to one-up the past

I don`t know...

Lots of people say they are fans on social media, but that does not mean they buy the product. My sister is a comic "fan" and all she does it seems is watch the movies, buy those shitty dolls and post memes on Facebook.

>Kathleen Kennedy founded the group in 2012 when she succeeded George Lucas as president of Lucasfilm, putting Kiri Hart, a former film and TV writer, in charge of the unit. Ms. Hart’s first move was to make the story group entirely female, starting with Rayne Roberts and Carrie Beck. Both women had experience in film development but had also worked in other arenas — Ms. Roberts in magazine publishing, and Ms. Beck with the Sundance Institute.

>Their other qualification: a shared love of “Star Wars.” Ms. Hart, now senior vice president of development at Lucasfilm, grew up in Los Angeles a passionate fan of the first “Star Wars” film and especially Princess Leia. “She was doing a bunch of things that women in movies didn’t usually do,” Ms. Hart said.

These are the people now in charge of the canon for the science fantasy franchise that had and still has a majority white male fanbase and following who were so passionate about the universe and its story and characters that it spawned a deluge of tie-in and spin-off and sequel books, videogames and comics but Disney shit all over them and their passion by declaring it all non-canon instead we have shit like this (nu-wars) now.