Mega Man Archie comics

Does anyone here like these comics?

I've never read any other Archie books before, but I started reading these because I used to play the games years ago.

Apparently its been cancelled (supposedly on hiatus).

...Opinions?

Other urls found in this thread:

megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_(Dreamwave_Productions)
youtube.com/watch?v=EzPtXvUBrZI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I haven't played the games but I liked the comics quite a lot. I wish the main storyline had been allowed to run along without awkward disruptions, though (crossover events, the sudden ending). Similar problem as with the Sonic comics, I've enjoyed them too but unfortunate real-life circumstances have kept fucking over the book and messing up its subplots.

Apparently no one cares about Mega Man anymore. Guess that's why the comics were cancelled and they stopped making new games.

Mega Man Mega/Gigamix was better

>cancelled
faithful to Megaman at least

Would've been nice if they could have at least finished adapting the NES era.

Good story, lazy execution. Not a fan of the art, which is kinda lacking and unfunny in comparison to the Sonic comics. Quake Woman wasn't my first thought about what should be an original robot master.

Decent. Arts a little shitty and the OC characters are forgettable (especially the police) but it adapts the games well enough and the crossover was neat

yeah. but what can you do
Bass will never get his moment

to be fair, Quake Woman was less a common robot master and more in the vein of Rock/Roll/Protoman/Bass

>(especially the police)
>implying Gilbert wasn't memorable

it was nice that they snuck Honey Woman in there as Vesper Woman.
Sadly. ended soon after that

The game adaptations can be pretty dull. The original stuff is great.

>Apparently its been cancelled (supposedly on hiatus).

Calling it: the hiatus is to wait for MoA's cartoon to debut, then the comic will resume asa tie-in with that for cross media synergy. Archie will hope for more sales if they can market it as "based on the """"hit""""animated series" rather than "based on the defunct game franchise"

They couldn't even hold on to Sonic, what makes you think they'd still care about Mega Man?

I didn't care for them in their initial arc but they grew on me after that. Quake Woman was also great.

Now Xander Payne, I couldn't stand. His whole thing was stupid.

It was a very good adaptation up there with the Mega/Giga mix manga. Really good look into the characters and they even made some OCs who weren't annoying.

The biggest problem is that it will remain unfinished and that Ian Flynn is getting dicked out of both this AND Sonic now, apparently.

Some of the non-game stuff is good. The adaptation of 1 and Powered Up are solid. 2, 3 and the X tie-in are...honestly kinda bad. The game arcs are repetitive as fuck, and the X story is just four issues of flaccid foreshadowing and poor attempts at hype.

>The game arcs are repetitive as fuck
This. That's the reason why they had other arcs inbetween the games. The entire series would've otherwise been Mega Man fighting robot master after robot master and that would get old very quickly.

The first half of Mega Man 3 was the most boring arc in the whole series.

That's really on the writer trying to stay as "accurate" as possible. If the comic wasn't trying to show every stage and the gimmicks and each 1v1 encounter, it would have the freedom to approach these plots in unique ways.

I thought the Mega Man 3 arc was pretty decent.

So anyway... Speaking realistically, is there any chance at all of this comic actually coming back? I heard that part of the reason it ended was because Archie couldn't afford to have so many series running at once.

So, maybe now that the Sonic comic is ending they might consider bringing Mega Man back?

>is there any chance at all of this comic actually coming back
No.

Sadly, no. It's not just a matter of Archie having too many comics (or if that was even an issue,) it's also a huge deal on Capcom's part to rebrand the entire franchise. They're banking to some degree on the new cartoon that's coming out to become a big damn deal and I'm assuming they don't want the comics--which are more faithful adaptations of the game content-- to confuse the new fanbase I imagine they're trying to attract.

I can't think of anything aside from Young Justice and *maybe* technically the Bruce Timm Batman stuff being a big factor in Justice league even after The Batman was on air, where the creators would see that one version of their franchise bombs, so they bring back the original. They'd just assume the franchise isn't working at all in their current form.

Vesper Woman a cute.

Sadly, I think this is accurate. I'm not sure if it was poor sales after the terrible 2nd crossover or just Capcom wanting to pull the plug, but it's unlikely we'll see an Archie return. Capcom likely pulled out just to do their own thing, and I doubt they'll be back even if the Megamize Me cartoon flops.

This comic was a great adaptation of the Mega Man story. The O.C.s were cool and the slight changes to the original story were great. I'm bummed it ended.

>teasing us with all those parts of 5's robots
Its not fair.

>"They don't like 'It's Mega Time', I guess no one just likes Mega Man anymore. Time to ed it forever."

Don't be silly. They'll just release another mobile spinoff, like XOver.

They're decent, I guess. In terms of non-game content though, the big two bands and Gigamix are much better.

>Vesper Woman a cute.
true
wish we saw more of her but alas

>Pollinator and botanical cataloguing
Oh, I'd pollinator.

And Vesper giving sass to Blues was great.

>So, maybe now that the Sonic comic is ending they might consider bringing Mega Man back?
The fact that the trade releases for Mega Man got cancelled tells me that either they no longer have the license or they stopped caring.

>And Vesper giving sass to Blues was great.
and he really deserved that

seriously Blues

An open letter to the President of Campcom

Dear Honorable CEO,

Please put complete artistic control of the Mega Man Franchise into the hands of the American rock group 'The Protomen'.

Signed, some nerd.

Probably the latter. They were still releasing trades for Worlds Unite up until the Sonic comic's hiatus put the last trade on hold.

How about no?

Shit sucks. They only had four trades left for Mega Man.

Protoman is not for shipping.

Kek, that Phoenix Wright's hair is like a mix between Phoenix, Apollo and Miles (with the bangs on the side)

Technically, they probably didn't have the rights to use Phoenix, so he's just a "Phoenix Wright but not really" character.

>Blue character with spiky head in a video game adaptation
Who else could it be?

Exactly. That's how they were able to use the character without the license. He technically isn't Phoenix and doesn't quite look like Phoenix, but it's a similar enough character in design and intent that the Capcom fans (the primary audience for the Mega Man comics) would get who he is intended to be.

probably
Vesper Woman exists because they weren't allowed to use the actual Honey Woman

>tfw you like the concepts of both Ocean Man and Honey Woman more than you like Splash Woman
>But if we had gotten the concepts, we would be denied Hornet Man, who is pretty cool

Conflicted

The concept versions of Jewel and Galaxy Man are both cooler than what we got, too

Vesper Woman is likely a slightly different story.

Capcom likely did not want them using the Honey Woman name at all, because it referred to the original prototype. But they didn't seem to mind them using the Honey Woman design - the two are nearly identical. Archie calling the design "Vesper Woman" would avoid the confusion as the design would be tied to a name which is specifically not one of Capcom's original characters, so they would likely be fine with it.

only a dual boss of Ocean man / Splash Woman and Honey Woman / Hornet Man could fix that

but yeah. really liked the design for Ocean Man and Honey Woman

The comics were cancelled because Archie couldn't afford it.
Which is why Sonic is being cancelled now too.

I don't know m8, Blues has a pretty valid existencial fear of being altered to the core of his being, choosing suicide by neglect before even risking turning into another person.

He overreacted to Megaman's existence, sure, but "being replaced" is also a fairly reasonable assumption since in the end he's aware that he's a machine and therefore a replaceable tool in the eyes of humans. The hilariously awful timing of his return to the house of Light didn't help things either, so the outrage is again kind of justified.

>Did you stop to consider that he built a brother and sister FOR you? So that when you came home you'd never be lonely again?

I'm pretty sure loneliness wasn't the reason he left his family to go die alone, also "when he returned"? He knew perfectly well that Blues ran off to certain death.

I'm all for a good laugh when talking about Angst Man, but the comic didn't really do a good job at countering his butthurt arguments. The worst part is usign Tempo as his "mirror", since Blues may or may not be right about how she should feel even more outranged than him because of actually being altered, but we'll never know because the current Tempo is already the altered one and the original is forever lost.

He knew perfectly well that Blues ran off to certain death.
We're talking about Dr.Light, the eternal optimist. He may have known that, but he likely always held out hope that Blues would return.

Whoops, forgot my green meme arrow. Oh well.

I thought that Sonic was getting cancelled due to Penders encouraging other ex-Archie writers to sue Archie and Sega. Sega just had it, and pulled the entire line.

We'll you're right about that, it IS something Doctor Thomas "let's create robots capable of terminating mankind and hope that three easily removable laws and the power of love keeps them in line" Light.

Still, by the point he made Megaman even he must have realized that his core had gone ded by that point.

Roll is cute. CUTE

One of the things I liked about the comic was that it tackled issues like this. Blue's existential crisis, Dr. Lilande's emotional reprogramming of Quake Woman. And Dr. light explicitly saying that Rock and the Robot masters don't have free will, but we wants to eventually create robots who do.

I know about that jazz, it's how Sonic isn't allowed to have relatives anymore, but Chuck is "uncle to everyone", I just pointed out that Phoenix is similar to Sonic. He even has red and yellow sidekicks.

There was a while exchange between Rock and Needle man talking about the difference in their programming, and not having a choice but to cause destruction. The comic tackled pretty deep philosophical topics while keeping the shiny cartoon finish

>Vesper Woman is pretty cool, but why isn't it Honey Woman when the design is seemingly based on it?

>Ian Flynn
>We weren't allowed to use the Honey Woman design.

seems it really was the design they couldn't use

>I know about that jazz, it's how Sonic isn't allowed to have relatives anymore, but Chuck is "uncle to everyone"
...No, that's entirely different.

It always gets me how people on Sup Forums say baseless shit like
and generally seem to misunderstand how comics work.

They're to edgy for me. I don't get the appeal of the future they built in their music. It's a done to death cyberpunk dystopia with a thin veneer of Mega Man stretched across it. It's basically just a knock off drama with relation to the canon ending with names.

The Megas, on the other hand, take the greater fiction and do something with it. I don't always agree with what they do (history repeating pt2 showed them taking real artistic license and it was their weakest album by far) but at least they stick with what the games are about. I've met them at MAGfest and attended their panel on their song writing process and watched their set. They're pretty big dicks desu and they basically let things get away from them. After listening to them talk about what they do, their first album being so solid was a fluke.

One of my favorite robot masters

Man, I gotta download this entire thing and read it. Looks good.

I would too. If you find a good collection of it, would you please link it?

If you think about the implications, and flash forward to the future, there are deep waves made. X was the first reploid, a robot with free will, but still bound by the 3 laws. Mavericks were robots who, after being infected with a Virus, did not have to follow those laws (and could and did harm humans because of it). The Maverick hunters were created by Humans to destroy the reploid who went rogue, the first robots who had true free will, not bound by any programming or laws.

Essentially X was a Slave Bounty Hunter who captured or killed any robot who was truly free. Sigma was the true hero of the X series, wanting to free his brothers bound in chains by their masters.

Wait, I thought X didn't have the laws, but was just pod-raised to be a good guy

They didn't really have a good contrast, so I felt that it really wasn't a good example. They certainly tried to bring it up - the whole point of the classic Mega Man series was that Rock had free will while a lot of other robots just carried out their programming - but with all the Robot Masters apparently having desires and emotions, the comparison really didn't work. You end up with stuff like Needle Man, who is different than Mega Man "because programming" and so Mega Man's self-conflict is supposed to resolve around Light just not being a massive restrictive douche with his robot programming.

I mean, if you had robots which didn't respond like people and clearly didn't have minds, then Rock comparing himself to them and questions about free will would make more sense. But actually looking at the characters, it seems more a critique on forcing commands onto the characters and the whole free-will discussion seems like it was just thrown in there to fit the common themes in classic Mega Man, as opposed to something which really meshed with the series.

This has been basically the collective understanding of the fandom for a while now. X and Zero are heroes of "justice" but they're still the bad guys, in the big picture.

X does have free will, but Dr. Light put him in status for 30 years of ethical testing/shaping to ensure that he would be a good guy when he was active.

But then something happened and X was lost and activated a long, long time later and that's the X games.

What's Sup Forums's opinion on the Dreamwave comics?

Link us and we'll tell you

X and Zero did have free will, and did not have the laws, but the rest of the reploid who were based on X's design but not raised in Pods, did have the laws installed. Being a Maverick means that you have hurt humans.

I can't find the entire series so just read this
megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_(Dreamwave_Productions)

youtube.com/watch?v=EzPtXvUBrZI

The Archie version of Blues apparently does have free will, however. Or at least a limited version of it, which I suppose wouldn't be free will, but he's more free than the other Robot Masters.
He describes himself in a way very similar to how X describes himself.

Except it's true.
Archie's bleeding money.

>X was the first reploid,
No, the first robot made based on X is the first Reploid. X and Zero are technically Robot Masters.
Technically, so are all the Reploids. Reploids are called such BECAUSE they're based on X.

See here; I'm an artsy fucking faggot. And these guys are a bunch of art schoolers. You get where I'm going. I really like the distopian vibe; but that comes from someone who never really liked the 'little boy robot' vibe from the games. After seeing these guys in concert, it's hard to ever use the word 'edgy' to describe what they do. Campy, for sure. Their live shows are coated in liberal sarcasm and it feels like they're having as much fun with the 80s cheese as everyone else is; despite the clear elements of a tragedy in the making.

And in regards to the Megas; I appreciate the differences. I LIKE having variety in my mega man nerd rock. I fucking dig the cannon and their own sound, which is completely different. It's a shame they're dicks though.

The distance between Blues and X's senses of self are probably the same, the thing that made X super advanced was his abilty to develop his own morality organically and in a way that doesn't allow for it to be altered externally.

There's also the fact that Blues kind of went against the second and third laws by disobeying Light and choosing death.

>technically Robot Masters
but robot masters don't have free will. x and zero are androids

>liberal sarcasm
so, edgy.

Bass never getting his moment is a travesty.

indeed it is

Yeah user, they're bleeding so much money they decided to burn the rest of the copies they already printed instead of selling them to recoup losses. And it just HAPPENED to occur when the license was up for renewal and they found themselves in another lawsuit. It's a money thing, not a license thing, which is why they've directly acknowledged they're still in talks with Sega. What would we do without your awesome deduction skills you moron?

>it's a money thing, not a license thing
I just said that. They're too poor to afford shit.

I modeled Vesper Woman once

Was dying to see Bass in the comics not a crossover with time travel shit but is official appearance gets canceled.

If that was the case they wouldn't be countersuing Narrative Ark or trying to negotiate the situation with Sega. If it was a money problem they wouldn't be offering the Sonic freelancers jobs on other books in the interim. If it was money they would have cut the books at the end of the fiscal quarter, like Boom and Mega Man. If it was money they wouldn't have even bothered resoliciting the first time.

Use your brain, you ninny.

At least he managed to show up.

neat

not even getting to his game or getting an actual introduction. that crossover just can't compare

water is wet

finished this like 5 minutes ago

pretty nice user

Model Origami Man next please

Looks great. Nice use of colors.

>This has been basically the collective understanding of the fandom for a while now. X and Zero are heroes of "justice" but they're still the bad guys, in the big picture.

If you're fucking retarded like every "_______ villain was right" memer

Wily was right.

We didn't even get him and Treble fusing even though the crossover gave a nod to that for Rock and Rush in the crossover.

>Dr. Weil steals a robot body, creates a program to control it, sets the program loose to control other robots, destroys most of the planet
>OH WOW WELL IF YOU DIDN'T WANT ME TO TAKE OVER THEN WHY DID THEY MAKE THE ROBOTS?
That's literally DSP levels of retard.

>Wily was right.
sure. isn't he always?

You strike me as someone who doesn't like fun shit. Have a (you).

It's literally the same tap dancing around the legal barriers.

>Let's make this character who looks like Phoenix Wright, does what Phoenix Wright does, but never say he's Phoenix Wright xD
>Let's say Uncle Chuck is Sonic's uncle because he's uncle to everyone and just never confirm if he's actually related to Sonic or not xD