What does Sup Forums think of kaptainkristian's videos?

What does Sup Forums think of kaptainkristian's videos?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YqfbBwmvGQU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

very well put together. wish he would do more controversial stuff tho

>normiebaiting

He's good, nothing to complain about.
Get over yourself.

He's bretty gud but he only talks about stuff universally beloved instead of going in depth to more obscure stuff wich would be nice.

All his videos feel like complete nostalgia
It's just somewhat motivating and depressing at the same time
The videos with the most intrigue are best

Bretty good, i wish more youtubers understood nonlinear editing like he does. The only episode that made me cringe was the newgrounds one. With the exception of Harry Partrige none of those guys really have a good enough resume to make it in the industry.

It's sad that everything he said in his Gorillaz video got completely shat on with Humanz.

Amazing editing, otherwise a bit uneven in quality.

I like him a lot. He's one of the few analysis channels I like alongside Super Eyepatch Wolf and YMS.

Occasionally he'll have a talking point that I think is kinda dumb but outside of that he has a really interesting editing style.

He's good, though his voice isn't really polished enough to sound like a proper narrator. He needs voice coaching classes.

Only vids that suck are the hiphop/rap ones, though it is kinda funny to hear someone who sounds like a scrawny pencil-necked little cracker fawning and gushing over gangsta rappers.

>none of those guys really have a good enough resume to make it in the industry.
Isn't like egorapter dude on Rick and morty? In a way they are in the industry but not quite there yet.
>It's sad that everything he said in his Gorillaz video got completely shat on with Humanz.
Kek
How so? That's like, his opinion, man

His FLCL video was legitimately one of the first YouTube videos I've seen that actually made me feel both depressed and uplifted. It got a legitimate emotional reaction.

Really surface level stuff which wouldn't be a problem if he at least talked about stuff not already universally discussed about to death.

He's okay. Sometimes completey mishandles points, or just doesn't go in depth into them, but he's never obnoxious about it and most of the time he's right.

Agree with though. Would like to see him branch out.

He makes well crafted and structured videos , but he is quite biased in some points like in his video about Spawn

I thought the Wonder Women one felt a bit lackluster. In summary: muh progress and the author inserted his fetishes all the time into the comic. How is that supposed to convince anyone that WW is cool ?

Good, but his topics are a bit too safe.

>Isn't like egorapter dude on Rick and morty?

He does some voice acting in Mighty Magiswords as a side character, but I think that's his only professional credit in the animation industry.

They're pretty good and well edited. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I remember hearing that he came to Sup Forums around the time of his first video to ask for advice

iirc arin did voice a background character in R&M

Flashier nerdwriter with a bit more substance, but overral doesn't really talk about anything indepth.

Tony Zhou has perfected the short-essay, and not many can do what he does.

This, also Strip Panel Naked is probably the best Sup Forums related video essayist

>He's good, though his voice isn't really polished enough to sound like a proper narrator. He needs voice coaching classes.

He's not pro tier, but he sounds a lot better than many you tube reviewer and documentary people.

I can't watch any of the Red Letter Media reviews/documentaries because the narrator sounds like an insufferable neckbeard.

Then there are the Linkara-types with their awful, nasally, whiney voices.

Compared to THEM, Kaptain Kristian sounds like fuckin Patrick Stewart.

>Childish Gambino
>Gangsta

Wut?

Good stuff. His Fooly Cooly and Gorillaz videos brought some genuine tears to my eyes.

I agree that he mostly talks about widely beloved stuff, but I think the appeal of his videos is that he mostly talks about the parts of those beloved things that aren't really appreciated as much.

Like, when you hear people gushing over Star Wars, you don't exactly hear many people talking about the sound design. Or when people talk about Roger Rabbit, they don't talk about the way the animated characters are shaded.

Good shit, I especially like how he's on the same wavelength as myself where the obvious general perception others have is something we can see and understand and even agree with, but it won't prevent us highlighting the generally ignored or unnoticed matters just to avoid upsetting the consensus.

Especially in the FLCL video. He could have just glossed over the matter like many do by saying it's another story about learning you'll have to grow up one day, but he highlights how it's actually more than that and how the transition into adulthood affects each person uniquely and those who try to approach it from a sterile, predictable manner end up not really growing at all from how they were as kids. Personal growth is more in recognizing the value of other things and your individuality, what makes you a person, rather than attempting to bleach your identity and appear like a certain thing or worth to others.

Naota kept thinking of himself in comparison to his brother, Mamimi, Haruko, his friends and what he believed they thought of him instead of who he really is or how they really felt since they were all hiding behind similar disingenuous character. The blind leading the blind as such.
As trite a moral as it might sound much like many kids Naota failed to realize maturity never lied in trying to be an adult, but learning to be yourself within reason, we don't need to go down the tired road of how rejecting maturity and responsibility to retain childlike ignorance obviously leads to just as much stunted growth, so spare me..

Anyway KaptainKristian said all that with much more brevity and levity, so bravo.

Just wish his colors lined up again. Also I don't mind his topics or time intervals. I'd rather he put out stuff he has something to say about rather than just useless filler and hot buzz to meet a quota like others.

A bit too gushy and his voice is kinda spergy (but not AWFUL like Nostalgia Critic or something) but I like how he doesn't politicize things and the points he addresses always seem reasonable and not like he's stretching to fit a piece of media into his world view. His recent Wonder Woman video was kinda sobering, the way he dismantled the popular myth that WW was made a secretary in the JSA "because sexism".

His Who Framed Roger Rabbit video pointed out a few things I didn't even notice and I've seen the movie a hundred times. It was the bit where Bob Hoskins missed his sight-line and the animators fixed the error like having Roger do a squash/stretch gag and MEET Hoskin's missed sight-line. And they did it so seamlessly and organically that, again, seen the movie a hundred times and never noticed.

So I liked his videos for stuff like that. He just needs to work on his voice.

Yup. He got yelled at for posting his own videos

I really enjoy them, but feel his last few haven't felt quite up to the standard of or as meaty in terms of thought provoking takes or arguments as his earlier ones were. With that said, as a subscriber, when I get a notification he posted a new one, I stop what I'm doing and check it out.

>He just needs to work on his voice.
I have to respectfully disagree, I like the casual tone like he's just chatting the shit with you instead of a character performance distilling numbered facts to a faceless audience with no real interest as to what any of them even thinks about it.
>Inb4 someone from Sup Forums starts going on about surrogate friends
It's less about him substituting for anything, and more him cutting the shit.

>muh speshul club

it isn't the casual tone, it's that he doesn't have a good voice.

Linkara and Nostalgia Critic have casual tones but awful voices. Kaptain Kristian isn't as obnoxious-sounding as them by any means, but his voice doesn't sound very good even if the conversational tone is there.

I like him, I remember when he posted his Superman video here, it was fun spreading it round and showing it

Dude's pretty based. He's one of my favourite analysis channels on YouTube, I like most of his videos. Watching them is a good way to pass the time.

i remembered when he was shilling his superman video here

>Posting Kaptain Reddit

His videos are good if you're a pleb, maybe.

I didn't know there was a pleb:patrician ratio when it came to fucking YouTube channels.

>Kaptain Reddit

>Is a known Sup Forums browser.

What did he mean by this?

He's good.

Didn't you know? If you don't like something, you just call it reddit.

>>Is a known Sup Forums browser.

He's not a Sup Forums browser, he just comes here to shill his videos.

And if he was Reddit he would be shilling the videos on there.

meh opinions
bretty good editing skills

If he wasn't a Sup Forums browser, then he wouldn't come here. He'd probably think it would be the worst place to shill his stuff.

His editing is good but his opinions are kinda dumb.

>FLCL isn't a coming of age story about growing up, it's a coming of age story about an individual growing up

really because FLCL IS my favorite anime and i felt like his take on it was just so shallow

He's working on a time limit, self imposed and otherwise, and with Wonder Woman in 2017 there's no possible way to cover all the bases.

>shallow
How so?

He's a talented editor, I'll give him that but in terms of substance he's one of the worst "youtube video essayists." Watch any of his videos and listen to what he's actually saying? Is he offering anything new, anything critical, anything substantive whatsoever? No, he's basically creating free PR for shows, games, networks whatever. These places might as well have emailed him a copy of one of their press releases during the editing process and he read it verbatim. It's disgusting.

>FLCL IS my favorite anime

It's pretty understandable considering FLCL is not only short and to the point but is also incredibly animated with a great soundtrack.

Fedora jokes don't make any sense anymore, if you're gonna be passive-aggressive then at least don't be a pussy about it.

he made his point at the beginning of the video that FLCL is a coming-of-age story and then spend the rest of the video repeating the point also see and

I think you should purchase a banner ad if you want to plug an e-celeb instead of making a thread that breaks >>>/global/rules/11

A lot of his videos can be broken down to "I think [thing] is neat, here's why."

Which is a kinda refreshing from the usual "[Thing] sucks and I'm going to rant about it!"

Honestly It's just refreshing to see videos pointing out the good in entertainment rather than undermining the critical

yeah but those are voice roles he got for his popularity not for his skills as an animator.

His videos are alright, but the problem is he tends to simplify and cherrypick things to support his narrative rather then actually look at the whole picture. Like for example, he spent an entire video giving nothing but praise to Image and how much good they brought, but he completely ignores the fact that they were also the ones mostly responsible for the crash and making the medium completely unviable.

However, when he's talking about things factually rather then a college thesis, he's great. His Who Framed Roger Rabbit video is easily his best work.

SPN is one of the few guys who understands the video part of video essay. Most others have interchangeable visuals (even though KKs are pretty) so someone using visuals directly to show what there saying is pretty abnormal

You, you spent way to long on that post.

>they were also the ones mostly responsible for the crash and making the medium completely unviable.
You have to consider what would be gained going into that fog of writing, art and financial insanity.

Like an user above pointed out Kaptain Kristain's videos focusing on the good and inspiring good is more immediately beneficial than ridiculing Liefeld anatomy and McFarlane business practices for the umpteenth time to no one's benefit other than those already involved and interested and informed and irritated in it. It won't really change anything or encourage anyone. Telling someone however that an artist with little behind him went and gained success from his high school scrawl may motivate them to pursue their own journey instead of falling in line with the rest of the pencil jockeys under the Big two and a half.

Or it might let those already working below someone consider the plausibility of breaking off from overbearing overhead to pursue proper compensation for their work.

I mean, shit, I use far less admirable but no less effective examples of self-made success to stir passion like 50 Shades of Grey. It's true that those who fail to learn from history are destined to repeat it however it's also true that while anyone can show others what was, few can show them what can be. Hindsight is 20/20, but to have real vision is uncommon..

Besides, as I said not only is there no shortage of people taking a steaming dump on Image but it's also likely as old a tradition, if not older, than most people in this thread. I need no further newcomers, the method has already been mastered.
youtube.com/watch?v=YqfbBwmvGQU

Sup Forums is reddit

He's probably lurking. I remember he came here to plug his first Superman video. I'm glad one of us is making a go of it.

As for his videos. His editing is pretty sweet. Like his taste in music for the most part too.

>Cherry Picking

Hoo boy! This. I remember him stating that Newgrounds has always been a platform of uncensored content, as if he has no recollection of all the content purged under Fulp when the ad revenue was threatening to pull back in the early 00s

I like his videos, but I still think it's weird that he didn't include hotdiggedydemon in his newgrounds video, but managed to include ones that don't even animate anymore.

The Wonder Woman one felt like it had no point. After the video was over I realized that it didn't really say anything.