DC Shakeup: DC To Launch Young Readers Imprint In 2018 Under Bobbie Chase

>In a press release announcing a restructuring of their editorial team today, DC Comics revealed some details about the role of Vice President and Executive Editor Bobbie Chase, who is one of a new trinity of Executive Editors who will divide up DC into three publishing kingdoms underneath Editor-in-Chief Bob Harras. With Pat McCallum carving out the DC superhero titles and Mark Doyle staking his claim to Vertigo and Young Animal, Chase will oversee the remainder of DC’s publishing.

>Perhaps most exciting, that includes a Young Readers imprint set to launch in 2018. Chase will also rule over the newly relaunched Wildstorm Universe, Hanna-Barbera comics, DC Kids, Digital First titles, custom comics, and Milestone. She will also continue to oversee talent development at DC.

Well Young Readers get them those children dollars

Other urls found in this thread:

dccomics.com/blog/2017/05/05/dc-entertainment-expands-editorial-leadership-team
twitter.com/andykhouri/status/860576185935290368
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also Milestone seems to still be on DC's minds, if anyone had been watching out for that

I hope they go for the whole Adult/YA/Children's spread. So much friction in comics could be dissolved by just admitting the "Women and Diversity" stuff is just "We want the YA market" and marketing to each fanbase separately.

And by putting Doyle on YA and Vertigo, they're apparently still gonna try to make Vertigo a thing again lol

Sheriff and Clean Room season 2 when

DC proving once again it's desperate and close to going out of business

MAYBE TRY MAKING GOOD MOVIES AND TV SHOWS

well, the Superhero Girls thing is doing well I hear so why not go after the young reader audience

Hooray for DC!

Delicious disneyfag tears.

The fuck does that have To do with comics nigger?

I have zero faith in Chase. And I find it worrisome how many 90's Marvel "editors" have found a home at DC these days. Feels like a fucking time bomb.

I wish they made a young reader directed Captain Marvel book, set in Earth-5 or Earth-S or whatever. As away as possible from Mark Waid.

You know that "Arrow" season 4 alone was more successful than all Marvel TV shows, right?

No, of course you don't, Draxposter.

>Young Reader
>Vertigo
>Young Animal
>Hanna Barbera
>Wildstorm
>Milestone
>that artist Metal thing I don't even know what it is

Hope they aren't over expanding

no one cares about comics

if DC wants to attract an audience young or old it's with movies and tv and they've proven they're incompetant at both

Better that way. At least they have variety.

Marvel should take notes instead of publishing over one hundred of capeshit ongoings.

Okay. If that churns out a good book then that would be something worth reading from DC.

they know they're gone by the end of the year so they may as well go out BIG

"The Flash" was the 3rd more successful Tv series of 2016.

The most successful Marvel TV series was "Luke Cage", at 16th.

I thought Sup Forums was bot-free?

Now that Marvel is dead, DC has to support the whole US comic industry.

It's a good idea. Look at how much DC merch kids buy compared to how much comics they buy. It's not even necessarily a movie or cartoon thing, kids just love these brands without even knowing much about them.

Will it get kids into comic shops? Hell no. But with TPB sales being the future of comics, having kids books to go along with all the toy and merch and video game stuff will definitely get kids reading again, I think. Especially if you can get that stuff into book fairs.

>admitting the "Women and Diversity" stuff is just "We want the YA market"
100% this. Kids and YA simply don't care about monthly comics, events, or any of that shit and never will, so putting it alongside your Civil War IIs and Avengers is just pissing off autists.

And yeah there are some kids who DO read the event stuff, but those are the kids who aren't interested in kid-targeted comics at all. I'm talking about the audience that buys all the cartoon tie-in comics.

>MAYBE TRY MAKING GOOD MOVIES AND TV SHOWS
Yeah, because the comics division totally has control over that.

It's really smart to diversify your offerings as much as possible. Again comic shops only appeal to one kind of person, TPBs in Barnes & Noble and on Amazon have the potential to appeal to many kinds of people, which is why superhero cartoons and movies are so successful.

>no caps
>no punctuation
Ike, hiring underage people is illegal.

Each one of those caters to a completely different niche.

>Draxposter
>being paid at all

marvel comics has no control over their movies and tv shows but they still manage

>Will it get kids into comic shops? Hell no.
I remember a LCS owner saying that kids like buying older capes. There's hope.

Manage to make us laugh.

Reminder that icons like Captain America, Iron Man and Thor don't have a single trade book that sells more than DC Superhero Girls.

because all their stories are garbage while Superhero Girls is actually cute and amusing.

I have no idea what you're trying to say and I think you may be illiterate or have some sort of learning disability. You are simultaneously admitting that Marvel Comics has no control over the quality of their movies while also applauding them for the quality of their movies.

There are always kids who like the more adult stuff. I mean, what choice do they have? I think most of us who grew up in the 80's or 90's are probably the same way: we went to the store to get Spider-Man comics, and what they had was what got us into comics.

But as evidenced by the decline of the industry we're kind of the minority there. It's like how action cartoons are dying off. You have to have offerings for kids who don't care for the continuity and grimdark stuff. Does that mean it has to be mindless Teen Titans Go crap? No way. Just taking more influence from the works of Gardner Fox and Stan Lee than Alan Moore and Frank Miller.

That's partially because someone at Marvel just refuses to get the message about trades being where all the money is, insisting on making their books overpriced and poorly advertised, while focusing on pushing for the YA market by constantly relaunching books that nobody bought in the first place. G. Willow Wilson did a really great write-up on how this was the problem with Marvel's current direction.

I hope Gotham Academy has a chance of coming back under this.

I think GA is going to exist in OGN format from now on

It's funny how one of the better Vertigo editors has been destroying Marvel for years now

>I think GA is going to exist in OGN format from now on
What makes you say that

>sales declining
>shakeups
DC is in trouble

Can someone please give a quick rundown on McCallum and Chase?

>As part of an editorial restructuring announced by DC Comics today that has divided DC into three separate kingdoms, each with an Executive Editor reporting to Editor-in-Chief Bob Harras, Mark Doyle has been promoted and installed as the new ruler of both Vertigo and Young Animal. Doyle has ruled over the Batman family books since 2014, but Pat McCallum is now in charge of DC’s superhero titles while Bobbie Chase takes over everything else.

>Doyle’s tenure on top of the Batman line saw Batman frequently top the monthly sales charts, but he’ll be returning to his roots, having started out as a Vertigo editor overseeing titles like Scalped and American Vampire, and has been credited with bring superstar writer Scott Snyder into DC Comics. Will a Doyle-led Vertigo and Young Animal lead to more talent discoveries for DC?

>Pat was a creative driving force for what became the most popular reportage in comics [Wizard], and he eventually became its editor-in-chief for years, until an infamous purge in 2006, maintaining a friendly relationship with all manner of folk and considered one of the smartest folks at the publisher.
>These days, DC Comics is home to a number of ex-Wizard contributors from the early days. And one of them is Pat McCallum who joined as an editor in 2011. He was one of the principle figures behind the twice-monthly rollout of DC Rebirth last year, which has proved remarkably successful.
>And now, as executive editor, he has been put in charge of the entire DC Universe of superhero characters, reporting to EIC Bob Harras. I understand that this was the kind of position he’d been working towards for some time.
>They’re his toys now…
>The news that Mark Doyle is getting a promotion away from Batman and back to Vertigo and Young Animal, and more, is part of a wider restructuring of executive and editorial roles at DC Comics.
>But it does appear to leave a rather large gap in the DC Editorial offices for the Batman editor — and it appears it’s not one likely to be filled soon. Instead, those working as assistant or associate editors may be stepping up.

Crystal a cute.

>Chris Conway is the obvious choice for Detective Comics and/or Batman, though Jamie Rich is also a favorite. Rebecca Taylor is expected to edit Nightwing. But there are meetings happening all day at DC Comics in Burbank, so there may be some swapping going on.

>As for Doyle, he and Scott Snyder are inseparable. Indeed, Doyle crossed coasts to keep working with him. They really are considered a dream team. I can’t imagine it’ll mean anything but more stuff between the pair, and there’s no reason Doyle couldn’t keep All-Star Batman and Metal on his docket, as well.

>So we may not be getting one big Bat-editor name — at least not yet.

>promotion
>from Batman to dead imprint and really low selling small imprint
>promotion

Sauce on this?

dccomics.com/blog/2017/05/05/dc-entertainment-expands-editorial-leadership-team

Thanks a lot, user.

bleedingcool and dccomics.com/blog/2017/05/05/dc-entertainment-expands-editorial-leadership-team

No problem Sup Forumsmrade

they obviously want him to find the next watchmen

they want him to produce new best selling collections and graphic novels that can be optioned

they want to keep gaiman happy

they want more lucifer, more walking dead, more american gods, more preacher, etc (i know those aren't all vertigo)

What they want is irrelevant. He's going from editing the #1 best selling comic for the past few years and all their spin off to editing a small imprint with bad sales and a dead imprint nobody wants to give a chance to anymore.

It sucks they want that because anybody who is anybody and doesn't have a DC exclusive is gonna go to Image or even Dark Horse and Boom

Why the fuck would anyone willingly do that?

The creative team has full control over the property at Image.

Image, Dark Horse and Boom don't pay as well nor do they have the sales ceiling that Vertigo can still have

Even though the royalty is now worse, a Vertigo paycheck is still better than a Boom paycheck

You're also referring to it as if Diane Nelson is out in LA and Vertigo is still in NYC

The point of this shuffle is to give each wing of DC its own fiefdom.

They want more Preachers and Unfollows. They want more options than just the DCEU. They want mature drama, horror, sci fi, crime genre material that can be sold to cable TV, that is not bound by the DC continuity.

There's only so much they can do with Watchmen, Sandman and Transmet. Actually-good graphic novels are not going away.

And if creators don't want to take the not-as-great-as-they-used-to-be royalty deals, then WB will just sweeten the pot with a bigger paycheck. Vertigo will just exist in some new space in between Image and work-for-hire

but not at Dark Horse or Boom.

Image is a huge fucking gamble where the creative team puts up all the funds for production and hopes they hit the jackpot with a Walking Dead level phenom.

How many Image series exist into double digits? Its a handful of the industries biggest names like Kirkman, Vaughn, Remender

Yes, I know it's a gamble.

That's why I said anybody who is anybody. Big names won't go to Vertigo where there's a set amount you make no matter how much it sells AND you won't have control of the property. They'll go to Image because they can take a risk and wrap it up in 6 issues or abandon it if it doesn't do as well.

You forgot Lemire, Hickman, and Fraction/KSD

Snyder could probably if he didn't have a boner for Batman desu
And Liu's book is doing pretty good, especially in trade

Lemire and Orlando already did lol
Especially Orlando since you'd think he'd be at Vertigo

Marvel continues to publish more comics per month than DC

Vertigo wasn't built on big names. It was built on unknowns that became big names.

>They'll go to Image because they can take a risk and wrap it up in 6 issues or abandon it if it doesn't do as well.
That just means
1. they wasted money instead of making money
2. they wasted an idea for a story that they had
3. full control over a forgettable mini that will never make it to the big screen or tv is irrelevant

well, they can make a good surprise that becomes famous.

At Image? In recent years? Nope.

Yeah and that's why Vertigo is a failure now.

They've done no ones from comics and from other forms of media and the only one in recent years to actual do well is American Vampire.

Big names sell.
That's why the cycle of a lot of comic writers is now (1) small publisher or other media to get your work out there --> (2) one of the big two --> (3) the other of the big two --> (4) Image and everywhere else
Get your name out there, get to the bigger publishers, make a fanbase, use your original ideas and characters at a publisher that gives you control over your property.

for free or for a fee?

The reason Vertigo is a failure is because wednesday warriors don't want to try out new things, they buy the epic crossovers(and there's always at least one) and the "important" cape comics and when they do branch out they get one of the famous Image titles becuase Image is the new hip publisher and some of the creators(BKV, Remender etc) get good press. The titles not done by a select few for Image die quickly and Vertigo is simply too mainstream for hipsters but still too hipster for the average comic book buyer.

Yes, Image taking some of Vertigo's press and image (pun intended) as the hip new publisher is another reason, it makes people less likely to want to try Vertigo even if they hear good things. Though it started when WB changed the contracts and TWD and Saga exploded not long after.

>they want to keep gaiman happy

If they wanted to keep Gaiman happy they should have never fired Berger in the first place. This is obviously a similar move ala Minx that DC used to neuter Berger by giving Doyla an assignment they know will guarantee failure.

The problem is that the contracts for royalty/movie rights are written in DC/WB's favor and this partially is what lead to the exodus of indie writers from Vertigo -> Image in the first place.

That's WB's jurisdiction you turd.

This is worse than CW costumes, holy shit.

I know I'll sound old asking this but it needs to be said

Do young people care as much about the diversity branding that the older generation keep on shilling out?

I really don't get how Harras has lasted longer at DC than he did at Marvel. It must be almost impossible to get fired now.

Chase used to be Bob Harras's assistant at Marvel and took over from him editing Peter David's Hulk.

She got fired at Marvel soon after he was fired as EiC, and after he became EiC of DC he hired her.

So, basically, a Harras crony.

She was also given an unofficial editorial position at dc during and she shat all over it putting her old friends and cronies there. Guess this means Harras is trying to reassert his power by putting his cronies in place while throwing the competent ones out into the dumpster. Probably means Lobdell will suddenly get more books and maybe Nocienti, McFarlane, DeFalco and the rest of the old Marvel gang will return to DC again.

Nocenti is cool. As for Lobdell, he's still at DC because of Johns.

>Chase used to be Bob Harras's assistant at Marvel and took over from him editing Peter David's Hulk.
Oh yeah, she was the one who said "Since Betty's dead now we're using that to bring back classic "Hulk Smash" Hulk, and we're doing this with or without you" which resulted in PAD condensing a year's worth of stories into a single issue.

>Nocenti is cool.
???
She did Catwoman and rivaled RHATO for longest running worst book?

I have little interest in Catwoman but I've read Daredevil, Longshot, Klarion and Kid Eternity from her and enjoyed the hell out of them.

The Klarion mini was the right book for her particular style. Unfortunately the sales were so bad that the trade was canceled and that was her third strike after Green Arrow and Catwoman.

The majority of her work since her return was shit more akin to her Green Arrow and Katana than Klarion.

Gaiman is pretty happy with DC. He's writing a Batman graphic novel.

Speaking of Batman graphic novels, Kurt Busiek and JPL are doing one too. It's was not officially announced, but they talk about it on twitter. Wonder how many of these are being made in secret.

DC had a lot of imprints since Vertigo. Minx wasn't some one off imprint to pass someone off.

It applies to Dark Horse too. Nobody reads it anymore. A couple of decades back, quality mattered. Now people fall for the brand meme.

>(i know those aren't all vertigo)
Some of those aren't even comics.

They lost a whole chunk of their readership when they lost SW. All they have now are Hellboy and Conan.

American Gods is a comic too now.

>Guess this means Harras is trying to reassert his power by putting his cronies in place while throwing the competent ones out into the dumpster. Probably means Lobdell will suddenly get more books and maybe Nocienti, McFarlane, DeFalco and the rest of the old Marvel gang will return to DC again.

>Chase will also rule over the newly relaunched Wildstorm Universe, Hanna-Barbera comics, DC Kids, Digital First titles, custom comics, and Milestone. She will also continue to oversee talent development at DC.

there's really nothing wrong with Nocenti and DeFalco writing Scooby Doo & He-Man

>1. they wasted money instead of making money
If they sell around ~5k then they're making money.

Most Image comics make money.

I do mind however them getting their hands on DC Digital or Wildstorm. I don't want Nocienti writing WIldcats or DeFalco on Authority/Stormwatch.

Addendum: Creators abandon comics that are making money because they think that their next comic can make _more_ money.

A comic selling ~12k at Image makes more money for the creators than a comic selling ~50k at Marvel or DC.

Just looking at March's numbers, Image published 37 floppies, none of them look like they lost money, and over half were extremely profitable for the creators.

Image is a good gamble for creators.

No Lobdell is Bob Harris guy from the X-men days

And Bob Harras is largely there because of his good pal old Jim Lee.

Wait does that mean Doyle won't be editing the Batman line? That's just not really what I want. Say whatever you want about the Batman line, in terms of diverse product no division in cape comics comes close. This is fucking sad.

Should've made Doyle in charge of the whole mainline DC universe. Maybe they're searching for more Scott Snyders and Tom Kings? He did bring them over. Also partially responsible for guys like Orlando and Seeley. That's the only reason I see Doyle being moved to Vertigo/YA. The most consistent line currently quality wise is YA, the idea behind it might be that he gets those talents to go to a creator owned books or just work on capeshit that's not only for hipsters.

>Say whatever you want about the Batman line, in terms of diverse product no division in cape comics comes close.
Maybe under DCYou this was true

DCYou failed largely because of Convergence. You can blame this largely on DC higher ups and retailers being screwed by the decisions of these higher ups.

twitter.com/andykhouri/status/860576185935290368
Interesting and something worth noting.

McCallum is probably the biggest wildcard. He just straight up hasn't had many credits in the past few years, so it's quite difficult to gauge what kind of influence he'll have. The bits he's done around 2011 aren't that great, and yet, if he really did push for the bimonthly format, that was probably one of the smartest moves for Rebirth.

If Doyle had already been working on the Batbooks, then I think early Rebirth showed it wasn't working for him. Lots of chaos, a lot of quality/hype drop, and none of the laser-focus that most books had when they were monthlies. Going back to his editing strengths is probably a good thing.

This, unlike based marvel who are doing better than ever.

Finally taking steps in the right direction

Well, they are. They're on the rise.

Ask Remender, he's still in the hole financially for most of his early Image titles. Most Image comics don't make money.

just bring back Superman Adventures, Batman Adventures and Justice League Adventures
booom I saved DC

They had that Magic of Shazam for a while, but yeah bring Billy back