Is this still better than Adventure Time?

Is this still better than Adventure Time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/i1fe1-x5Cbw
youtube.com/watch?v=UJR_pzvD4EI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No.

/thread

no. I know it, I watched all episodes.

Fuck no. It never was.

yes.

Maybe

possibly

Steven Universe at its hypest>Adventure Time most of the time>Adventure Time when it's shit and boring>Steven Universe when it's REALLY shit and boring

What about average Adventure Time vs average Steven Universe?

Probably give it to AT.
Both can do really cool stuff when they're dealing with important plot/lore/backstory stuff or character development, but of the two AT has "filler" episodes that are monumentally better than SU's. Some of AT's best episodes are fillers where nothing important or lasting happens while SU's are mostly bores you just want to hurry up and be done with to get back to the shit you actually care about.

So in other words Steven Universe has fleeting moments of greatness, interspersed between many episodes that are mediocre at best, and awful at worst.

Bit harsher than I might describe it but yes.

> is shit with corn in it better than corn without shit in it?

I remember when the Return episode happened. Everyone said it was a big turning point for the show and shit getting real.

In retrospect, I don't think it was ever actually intended to be that. I think that episode was just meant to be a Dragonball Z homage. Nothing more. What happened afterwards seems to confirm this.

Honestly? I've enjoyed SU overall a lot more than I did AT.
Probably because SU doesn't make pointless plot threads and then leave you hanging on them for literal years. There's a sense of progression in SU that wasn't there for most of AT. I can forgive the number of townie episodes/fillers because even those seem to be doing so much worldbuilding, and these characters continue to exist in this world.
In AT, there's so many characters of the week you lose track of them all. In SU, the same set of characters is there, they're all interacting, and you feel a sense of knowing these characters just a little bit more.
Simon and Marcy was a high point of AT for me, and that entire plot thread sort of got cast aside for way too long - I didn't regain interest until Betty appeared. And after Stakes, I lost interest again, because I can't seem to get invested in most of the characters in AT because they're frustratingly all over the place in how they act or even their frequency of appearance.
SU has consistently managed to keep me on the ride. Even if it's been a while since I've seen the barnclods, we go back and it's like "Oh, it's a barnclods episode, this'll be fun," or "Looks like a Ronaldo episode, how much more am I about to hate him"
In AT it works for a while because you've got that sense of discovery - only recently have they actually been ANSWERING a lot of the questions they've raised throughout the series, and those questions aren't a central theme most of the time. They're frustratingly glossed over and thrown out for entire seasons.
In SU, even in fillers there's characters being developed, talk about central themes, and even some allegory for larger conflicts happening in the show. The point is, even in filler, there's content that's driving the main story forward. You feel like we're heading toward an answer and actively seeking that answer instead of just leaving it for 20 episodes.
This is why SU beats AT for me any day.
/blog

But stakes was ass, user

Well, it was first contact with Homeworld, and suddenly that became an actual threat, so I would call it a turning point. We weren't sure about Homeworld during Ocean Gem. Then we realized for sure they were a threat over the next season, and that threat became much more real during The Return/Jailbreak.
Though I will say this - the latest episode, I Am My Mom, feels much more like said turning point being reached.

Stakes is what I call average AT. I came back for it because I smelled actual plot and backstory. I wasn't too disappointed on that front.

>muh lore
>muh plot

An opinion I can respect backed up by lots of exquisite digits.

I've always held onto that AT doesn't have a main plot, stuff like Finn's romances or The Lich are the closest thing to that but those get attention very sparingly and are more things that you get back in touch with once every bit instead of the main plot that everything builds towards, but given how AT went more plot heavy and still tried to keep their fun inane episodes it kind of goes against that though.

Though I do feel this is better than in SU, because SU's is so plain BORING most of the time. They don't have a world as amazing as AT to explore since it's basically regular earth with like 6 aliens, while AT has always been about fun and neato adventures from the start and the setting works in tandem with that effort instead of working against it like it feels with SU. Even when it was doing stuff in season 1 that people think was the high point of the show (because lately everyone seems to hate it I guess, don't go into the fanbase that often) I would say AT was doing stuff much more creative and cool than SU's monster of the week stuff.

Just my take on it.

Another respectable user with the ability to carry out unironic discussion on Sup Forums
Is this even possible

Yes, if only because SU has never hit the lowest of lows that is Red Throne, Breezy and Chips and Ice Cream

Thanks Lapis, though looking back my post was pretty unfocused. Went from plot to setting to filler episodes without very much connecting bits.

But yeah, feel like SU can be very good when it's focusing on that plot, but if you just go for only that the show will be over in like 20 episodes so they gotta do other less than amazing stuff. While AT is strengthened by having the wacky adventures be mostly the main focus, because as long as you can write decent jokes and the characters are fun then everything's good. But people always rather plot and lore and all that shit because it seems a lot cooler than regular episodes and there's more juicy details to get, so the regular episodes get a beating in comparison.
This happens worse with SU but considering how the less than plot episodes are kind of sucky I feel like they deserve it to a degree.

I can honestly say I enjoyed all three of those more than Rocknaldo and Onion Gang.
And Breezy was a good episode.

>fighting over the "Second fiddle to The Loud House" slot
Sad!

I thought Rocknaldo and Onion Gang were just boring episodes, but Red Throne and Breezy actively ruined the show. At least Onion Gang and Rocknaldo didn't really impact SU in anyway

SU. It has its flaws but it's still better than AT.

I just really, really hate the nonchalant and monotone personalities that adventure time characters have. No one cares about anything and no one reacts to what's going on.

I don't remember when it started exactly but SU needs to chill with the cuts to characters reactions with the shattered background and sound effect, as well as the ones where each characters reaction is shown in a panel

here, Rocknaldo is THE worst episode and the only one to date that has truly left a bad taste in my mouth.

Is glass shattering the new whipcrack?

I feel like that critique was only true in like the worst parts of AT's season 5 and 6. I consider the characters to be pretty lively these days.
True that it is valid in certain episodes.

>Breezy actively ruined the show.
How? I really liked that episode.

The only reason to hate Red Throne is if you really dislike seeing Finn act like a sperg, which in this case, didn't bother me.

Adventure Time. An average Adventure Time episode exploring Ooo is much more fun and entertaining than an average episode exploring Beach City.

I agree if you're taking about season 1-3 of adventure time but season 5 and 6 especially are horrendous. There are so many bad episodes in those seasons. That fucking water park one, the one where Ice King seduces a gender confused lamp, President Porpoise, I can go on.

They've only done it like 3 times throughout the series.

It is, but thats not much of an achievment

You're cherry picking. 90% of season 5 and 6 episodes are good.

Every time AQUAMARINE does something bitchy:

youtu.be/i1fe1-x5Cbw

I'm a big fan of the show and I'd say like 75%
Good amount of episodes I consider mediocre in both of those seasons

That's fair. I was setting my bar for 'good' at like a 6/10.

Actually looking at the episodes of season 5 it wasn't that bad.

It was the majority of season 6 that was irredeemable. Orgalorg was a mistake. And fuck Finns Dad

It always was, adventure time is so shit. Without it's quirkyness it has no leg to stand on

Get back into your containment general

Eh, different strokes for different folks.

No, at least Cuckventure Time is ending soon.

heh, nice meme OP

it's getting to levels of bullshit like Berserk about its releases, but with the difference that Berserk has a good story (for now).

No.

I have watched bot shows, and as good as some SU shows are, they almost always end up wrong somehow in the end, like something doesnt feel right. The Peridot and lapis arcs just end, with no real change to the overall story. AT you came to expect that, in fact thats what the purpose of AT was about. SU I expect much better story writing from since that is what people watch it for.

It hasn't been good since season 1 ended. Even at twice as long as the average season, that's still only 2 seasons. Adventure time was good for 3 seasons for me with sprinklings of gold every so often later. Steven Universe has had NONE of it's old gold in later episodes.

>And Breezy was a good episode.
Opinion discarded, to be honest.

>Is this still better than Adventure Time?
At least I used to like/watch Adventure Time.

Not yet, probably next season will be awesome, if it's focus on steven and Lars being fugitives trying to find their way back to earth, and actually lars being redeemed after being a complete bitch on last episode.

does anyone have SU mega link leaks?

heh, fair enough. I know I'm in the minority on that around here.

What, in this metaphor, is the corn that differentiates the two turds?

Sometime around season 2/3 when season 4 was in production, the writer's staff admitted that they began shifting their writing to fit the "bomb" schedule and it fucking shows.

I'll be honest, I think it is.

Due to the nature of the show, it's a lot more boring than Adventure Time, sure, but there's more consistency in quality.

I know, I know, the art quality has dropped considerably and the writing quality is up for debate, but I've never felt that SU has had "jumping the shark" moments or character development I've truly hated. SU is reliable, for a lack of a better term.

Let me put it this way: Whenever shit happens in SU, it stays that way. It may be boring, it may return immediately to normality, but whatever happened is set in stone and is often referenced in later episodes. There is a status quo, but said status quo changes over time, it's not like Steven returns from the Zoo and the next day he's crying about Cookie Cat again.

In many cases of AT, shit happened and was either never talked about again or flat-out retconned to maintain the status quo (Breezy, for example). The status quo changes, too, but the lack of commitement to new concepts is what makes everything feel less satisfying.

Steven Universe is a slice of life show that since the beginning had some semblance of plot progression. Adventure Time is an episodic series that was hastily made a plot-oriented show.

Pretty much sums up my feelings.

I'm sure Lapis and peridot jumped the shark a couple of times.

But the cluster is a thing that happend

You do have a point, but it seems Sugar is trying to do some damage control. Keep in mind most of the Lapidot shit was made by Zuke, who was doing it with the intent of hijacking the way the characters behaved canonically.

I wish Sup Forums could be more like this. Different opinions but respectable towards one another.
Sure shitposting can be fun, but not when someone made long well explained argument and only gets replies like
>character x is featured, so opinion discarded
>kys

I didn't feel the Cluster was unsatisfying tbqh. I mean, it was introduced, weird Gem experiments appeared to hint it was about to pose a threat, part of Peridot's redemption arc revolved around helping stop it, and finally got stopped in Steven's own way. I can't say it was a letdown, considering it wasn't the only thing happening at that moment in the show's story.

Stop spamming this.

>Rocknaldo and Onion Gang
Man, I remember when Garnet Universe was the worst episode. Even Sadie's Song isn't that unwatchable compared to Onion Gang.

I kind if have to disagree on the SU part. Yes, it tends to leave tidbits here and there, but for the most part the entire story is held back through stupidity. We know nothing about Homeworld solely because Steven for whatever reason has never bother to ask the Gems about it. Even when they're willing to talk to him he says nothing.

Even ignoring that, most crucial plot elements are there because it's clear they need to stretch it out. Many parts of the show could've been resolved in a much easier way, but they need filler anyway. It's like the show is hitting the gas, yet constantly in place.

I thought it was a donut from the thumbnail.

After S4 + this bomb?
ay lmao
nope

I thought it was a prolapsed anus.

What do you use to clean your mind, user? I could use some.

WHAT THE FUCK WAS HE THINKING?

What sucks is they could do so much more to make the show imaginative and fun like AT, but instead they view the gems as being "fantasy inverse" so that the gems see wonder in mundane life, as opposed to us being engaged by the imaginative lore of SU. The could have killer filler episodes where Steven fucks around in alternate dimensions or goes into his video games or learns to interact with an alternate version of himself in a dream world or anything more interesting that Lars and Sadie bullshit.

At least it's in a location no one will ever see, unless he's a faggot who wears shirts that are too small in public.

holy fuck I just realized this was a tattoo, I thought he had a rash or had part of his insides ripped out through his bellybutton I'm retarded

please
please tell me that's not a tattoo

it really is a tattoo. Apparently its "unfinished" but i cant imagine it being very salvageable even with lines/shading..

we can only dream

Why are you trying to force this picture so hard?
No one even knows who the hell that is.

>not knowing Rowley
#NotMyRodrick

Is there a mega for Doug Out and I Am My Mom?

I've seen the other three episodes, was this a leak or something?

if i wanted lore in my cartoons id be reading a book, grow up.

I'm just catching up on the leaked episodes/

IS STEVEN UNLOCKING A GIANT VAGINA?

You can't tell someone to grow up while admitting to watching cartoons.

Even with all the crappy episodes of Adventure Time and how The Lich for how great of a villian he is just never being used still is better than Steven Universe.

Both of these shows are mishandled as fuck. Who thought that a 'Steven Bomb' was a good idea for a episode format?

So that's what he looks like.

>You can't tell someone to grow up while admitting to watching cartoons.
grow up

Steven Universe because it isn't trying its hardest to appeal to 12 year olds. Plus the show looks better in general.

Very wrong on both counts.

Thing is, "answering questions" isn't really this show's agenda. Quicker you accept that and submit yourself to the current, quicker you enjoy Adventure Time for what it actually does.

Red Throne was actually pretty solid if you get off the FP/Finn hype boner.

As I see it, Steven Universe is a continuous narrative that spikes at turning points and is always moving forward. Slowly for the most part, but it is a story of actual people in a way. Nobody just switches gears immediately, everyone has their arcs work out simultaneously over many episodes.
Like Pearl's development from a complete accessory to Rose gradually towards independence. Even the Cool Kids seem to be growing up some and Lars/Sadie have their odd relationship going where none of them is really confident enought to ever address it but everybody obviously knows all about it.

On the other hand AT really can't decide what the characters are like, has far too many of them to really do them any justice and all the episodes have little to no effect on them when I feel they really should. It's all big, flashy concepts that amount to nothing, really.
Just listing the various clashing concepts of divinity in their universe shows you how bonkers it all is and how AT could have been four or five shows that actually make sense. It's a breathless sprint through what looks like a caffeinated child's story where every second sentence starts with "And then", followed by a random event involving something "cool".

That being throwing shit at the wall and hoping for the best.

Still?

SU is the most boring fucking thing on earth. It's not better than watching paint dry while a toddler whines in the background... because it is watching paint dry with a whining toddler in the background.

Was edging there, but ultimately, no, it never was. Sup Forums likes to criticize AT in regards to "muh status quoooooo" and plot threads that apparently take too long to go somewhere.
AT works for me because it lets its world and characters develop in an organic way that manages to be meaningful, but underneath a sense of fun.
People act like the writers don't know what they're doing, but when you hear about how they make the show you realize, no, they totally know what they're doing, and that in of itself makes it better than SU.

>Nobody just switches gears immediately

Except Steven did exactly that in Beach City Drift. Got mad at an asshole out of nowhere, got over being mad, and was never mentioned again. It was a completely artificial conflict.

>Various clashing concepts of divinity
Do you even watch the show? Reincarnation is the only one that's been given substantial focus, and it's more of a catalyst for other stories than anything.

>Can't decide what the characters I like
Now I'm sure you haven't watched the show

youtube.com/watch?v=UJR_pzvD4EI

Quads of truth.

If you explained how everything worked in adventure time, and outlined the entire lore, it would diminish the charm of the show. The variety of concepts and adventures is the whole appeal.

>all the episodes have little to no effect on them when I feel they really should.
I don't think AT gets enough credit for how it handles character development. It happens really slowly, but that's what makes it feel real. The characters don't just change on a dime. When Finn gets dumped, it takes him a while to fully get over it, and it takes a whole two seasons for him to have the perspective to realise what he did was wrong, and properly apologise. This pissed people off, but it's very true to real life, and to Finn's character at the time. If he had learned his lesson straight away, it would've been contrived as fuck.

>posts video about a faggot acting like he knows what he's talking about
gg

Honestly, when you binge the show, Finn's sadness isn't even that overbearing. They stretch it across just enough episodes to get the point across.

Plus it's miles better than Steven's been this last season, who wangsts about his mom and nothing more. It's repetitive to watch

This