Why does Sup Forums complain about Gunn and his interpretation of the Guardians of the Galaxy?

Why does Sup Forums complain about Gunn and his interpretation of the Guardians of the Galaxy?

Other urls found in this thread:

rollingstone.com/music/features/inside-the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-soundtrack-w477515
youtube.com/watch?v=VYza70upD34
pointofgeeks.com/exclusive-the-shocking-funerals-of-captain-america-civil-war-spoilers/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I liked the guardians of the galaxy comics
I like troma films

so yeah I don't get it either, if you don't like both of the above you have bad taste

I always thought it had to do with the popularity of the movies and its impact on the comic. The movie was well regarded but the changes it brought on in the comics weren't all that good. So it has less to do with Gunn and more to do with the clueless hacks that work at Marvel comics that feel that they need to ride the movie wave. They then implement certain elements from the movies disregarding all the things that previous fans of the comics cared for.

I fucking hate the integration of the music stuff

Yes, that seems very pointless and uninspired in a purely visual medium. Gunn has a very clear vision when it comes to music too while the chucklefuck writers just throw in "da silly old song lol". Fuck them.

This, coupled with Bendis being Bendis.

You have DnA's comics.
Then you have the movie being announced and the GOTG comic being revived under Bendis, who then proceeded to write GOTG like they were straight outta Mass Effect.
Then you have the movie, which was a combination of DnA's comics and James Gunn's personal touch, which is derived from years of working under Troma Films. That is to say, a hefty amount of irreverent humor.
Then you have Bendis rebooting the comic with Kitty Pryde and movie synergy, with Bendis doubling down on the latter by going whole hog on quips, what passes by Bendis as "humor", 80's songs, et cetera.

So it wasn't so much Gunn as much as it was Bendis that we all hate.

Yeah, Bendis and his GotG shit started before the first movie was released IIRC. Apparently he used the Badoon in his Avengers Assemble book where he first revived the GotG because he heard Gunn wanted to use them in the movie but couldn't due to rights issues. So Bendis thinking he's a genius, takes that idea so it would look like the movie copied him, but Gunn ended up not being able to use the Badoon so instead he used the Sakaarans.

Gunn even invited Abnett and Lanning to the set of the first movie, and when Pratt was asked if he read any comics, he said this:

>When I first talked with James I’d read some of the very newest [Brian Michael] Bendis stuff and I was like, “What do you think?” And he was like, “Don’t read any more! I don’t want you to read any.” He said I should look at the [Dan] Abnett & [Andy] Lanning stuff if I felt compelled to read something, because we’ll be closest to that, but don’t because we’re not recreating the comic books, we’re just telling the story in a different medium. The name and title and characters come from different incarnations of the Guardians, but this is its own thing. He probably just wanted me to use his script as the bible!

Also Bendis used J'Son a hell of a lot, gave Peter daddy issues, did that whole 'Peter becoming King' rubbish, and what did Gunn do? He said 'fuck J'Son being Peter's dad! I'm going to make him Ego the fucking Living Planet'. Bendis probably thought he was top shit including Peter's father in his run because the movie was going to explore Peter's heritage, only for Gunn to switch things up for the better.

ITT shills

Because Bendis and his tail-coating riding laziness.

Bendis sucks the movies' cocks so much and gets rekt every single time. Remember how he killed War Machine because it looked like WM dies in the Civil War trailer?

Like a fucking trailer is going to spoil a character death, jesusfuck Bendis you moron.

I just want them to have the uniforms desu.

With Vol. 2 taking place so soon after the first movie it didn't really leave them any room to get to that point. But now with Peter fully embracing the GotG as his family, a large time gap between Vol. 2 and Vol. 3, and with Mantis now being on the team, I have hopes for them to act more as a unit and maybe even get uniforms.
Also with Peter's mask getting destroyed it opens the door for the full mask/helmet to appear.

Sup Forums complains about everything, find me something they dont complain about, thats hard
even many supposed sacred cows are frequently dissed here

Having read the first issue of All-New Guardians my big problem is that they're being cast as mercenaries now. DnA's Guardians were actual heroes, while the Guardians that are presented in the comics these days just end up happening upon things that relate to the fate of the universe.

I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Bendis was part of the marvel oversight board that Feige answered to before Age of Ultron.

I hate how a lot of people who work in comic books don't have any artistic inspiration outside of other comic books. Bendis is an egregious example of it where he doesn't understand what made Gunn's interpretation of the Guardians work, or how to make his own comics successful both creatively and financially, so he gentrified the book into being the same boring porridge that a lot of Marvel comics are nowadays.

Seconded. The post-Conquest team had a purpose which sounded kinda vague on paper but was made very explicit very early on. They were low-powered first responders pushing back impossible threats with whatever they could get their hands on. That premise always felt more gripping and character-driven than mercs living from paycheck to paycheck and stumbling onto important stuff.
That said, I'm still holding out a bit of hope for the current run once we get past the first arc.

Duggan's first Deadpool arc was more of a transition between Way and Posehn, so hopefully the same applies for here.

Bendis giving the name 'Ned' to Ganke because of Homecoming is hilarious.

I think his use of the characters and mythos works for the movies in terms of the intent with the story he wants to tell, but unlike 90% of MCU fans, I acknowledge they aren't accurate adaptations and don't retcon my own memories and definitions of the characters to fit the movies.

even marvel cosmic fans never liked Star Lord. It's Gamora and Drax they fucked up and Sup Forums does complain about them

reminder that Drax in the comics mistook an Infinity Gem for a jelly bean and swallowed it

Bendis is pathetic. PATHETIC!

See, I look at it this way.

DnA Starlord came fresh out of Annahilation, did some horrible stuff, was depressed for a while but during the Annahilation War he regained some of his old spark. By the time the team is created, he's mostly just acting like a clown with the very occasional bout of black humour. This is a lot of baggage and I don't blame Gunn for doing his own thing and making a very enjoyable movie, especially since this serves as Peter's origin story. He's still an inexperienced newbie and he's clowning about so much because he's never gone through the same shit as DnA Peter.

As mostly everyone, I'm pissed at Bendis for bringing the comics Peter, the one who went through lots of shit and has lots of baggage, and basically turned him into Chris Pratt for movie synergy. And then he went on record to say DnA killed the Guardians and that he saved the franchise.

And I'm also mad we'll never have Starlord's amazing costume again.

>And then he went on record to say DnA killed the Guardians and that he saved the franchise.

Source on that?

I'd love to see an actual list or collage of times where Bendis blatantly pulled imagery or synergy from the movies before said movies had even released.

I know that Bendis brought Thanos and Star Lord back to the comics upon the release of "Marvel's The Avengers" and its post-credits scene.

All-New specifically states that they took the Grandmaster job to secure a dangerous artifact. And think about it, in v2 there was a clear threat from the start (the rip) and they had Knowhere providing room and board. Now there aren't any immediately obvious threats to the fabric of space time, and they have a ship they have to keep flying, so they need to take jobs that pay. I don't see why it's a big deal as long as the writing is good. I didn't like v2 because of the uniforms and job description, I liked it because of the characters.

What I have seen the common defense is D&A starlord only joked as copping mechanism while Movie lord is just a clown all the regardless of the situation. Eithe way people tend to bitch more about the lack of mask than the personality. Also Synergy always results in people hating the movie version, just look at they way people bitch about movie tony now, compared to before Bendis Iron man.

>And then he went on record to say DnA killed the Guardians and that he saved the franchise.

Maybe it's because I read the comics long before the movie but when it first came out I still saw his jokes as a coping mechanism, just for his mom's death and his shitty adolescence. There were several times in the movie where he got really raw like when the guard had his Walkman, Yondu captured him, and the plan scene.

Both movie and DnA use humor as a coping mechanism, I think. It's just that the movie version doesn't have as dark a background as the DnA Quill did, so the contrast isn't noticeably there.

The larger complaint is how Humphries and Bendis tried cramming in movie stuff because they thought it was "cool". Bendis pulled a New 52 where he wrote his stuff with the intent that it would be perfect material to adapt for Peter's backstory and then Gunn made his dad a planet, the absolute madman. Steve Mcniven's Mass Effect costumes were also his ideas for how the movie would look.

Sup Forums then started leaning against the film for the changes that the writers took from it.

Because Gunn added music.

Oh yeah, I completely agree with you. But to me, a lot of that job description was directly tied to the characters. Quill started the Guardians not only because someone had to do it but because he felt guilty of letting the Phalanx in, and Warlock backed him because he felt that was what he was brought back to do. Everyone else had their similar motivations to do it, all stemming (to varying degrees of success) from their characters and personalities.
Meanwhile, "we need food/fuel", while a perfectly understandable motivation, is less character-centered and more plot-centered. It's not something unique to each character in the way their individual motivations were back in v2. So the adventures risk becoming more hollow and by-the-numbers unless they find a way to develop the characters beyond it.
Which is why I'm holding out hope for All-New: Duggan has teased each Guardian's personal motivations on interviews and such, and I'm hoping it'll help make it a more character-centered run.

Don't forget THIS.

Has Gunn ever discussed the idea behind adding the Mixtape?

Also I really like how one of the tracks in Vol. 2 was used, with Ego reciting the lyrics as he talked about Peter's mother.

The songs in Guardians allude to the tone and story of the film.

Better than Suicide Squad just throwing money at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Reminder he killed War Machine because he thought he was gonna die based on the trailer for Civil War.

rollingstone.com/music/features/inside-the-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-soundtrack-w477515

Thought this was pretty cool.

I can't believe he managed to make Brandi an evil song.

The last song was incredibly predictable on hindsight, but I won't lie: it got me good. Real good.

The Chain?

Nah, Father and Son. I wish the second time they used The Chain would've gone on longer, though.

Oh shit right, forgot about that. Thought it was sort of sweet, Pete growing up a bit.

>Lynne had previously approved a song for the first Guardians that Gunn ended up cutting, which made the process harder this time.

Ha.

I just don't like how they try to match the movies SO hard in terms of characterization.

It's like if Marvel put out a Defenders book with just Luke Cage, Ironfist, Daredevil, and Jessica Jones, and they were all written as rookies. It really makes no sense for a team brought together to protect the universe when no one else would to go to thieving/mercenary work.

The comic guardians shouldn't have the same moral code and motivations as the movie versions, theyre entirely different characters, and it's a disservice to both.

Bendis left GotG to go fuck up Defenders. Is there no escape?

I wonder what it was. Starlight? Twilight?

Why is Star-Lord so forgettable in the DnA run?

What are you talking about? He's such a lovable fuck-up in that run.

I read it a while ago after the first film was announced and really enjoyed the whole run, but now, thinking back, I cannot remember a single thing that Star-Lord did that really sticks out in my mind, Vance and Jack left more of impression than Quill did.

There was that time he was stripped naked by Blastaar and that other time he was turned into a geriatric due to time shit.

Both I just can't remember, Star-Lord was a very bland character in DnA's run, granted I don't like him being written by Bendis, but I just don't think I ever really cared about him as much as the other dozen GotG fans we have here on Sup Forums.

It's so damn pointless and really does not work in the medium its in.

There's no audio when I'm reading a fucking book, so that shit really doesn't work.

Not even music? Nothing with lyrics, instrumentals, when I was reading Wheel of Time the first time I'd listen to the Kill Bill and Hero soundtracks, made for a nice reading experience.

They're not talking about adding your own soundtrack, user

No the oversight board didn't get removed before Age of Ultron. It dissolved in the middle of filming Civil War. Age of Ultron was given as the reason to ditch the oversight board.

Come to think of it, wasn't there rumors early in 2016 that they filmed several death scenes to hide who was going to die in Civil War? If the Creative Committee was forced out of the film decisions, maybe Marvel Studios fed that rumor to the media to mess with Marvel Entertainment.

Come to think of it, maybe that's also why Bendis assumed War Machine was gonna die, he heard the news and then saw the trailer and assumed that was the way it was going.

Of course all he ended up doing was getting rid of a character who had a decent backstory in favor of pushing a character he barely developed enough to justify being Iron Man's replacement.

Because Mantis had her feet covered the entire movie.

They're talking about inserting the lyrics to hooked on a feeling on the page everywhere.

t. Steve Englehart

There's a distinct lack of coffee in MCU Cosmic.

I'm really disappointed.

Out of all the things you see in Marvel Cosmic, you'd thinking a giant talking tree that keeps reminding everyone his name, a master strategist, vulgar talking raccoon, giant decapitated god head mining stations and a Soviet cosmonaut dog with Xavier-tier psychic powers are out of place and yet the most earthly thing, coffee, is so fucking out of place that I personally think it's fucking genius.

Pic related.

Found it, this was from January last year (which also was the month when the CW2 leak happened):

youtube.com/watch?v=VYza70upD34

And this was a rumor back in December:

pointofgeeks.com/exclusive-the-shocking-funerals-of-captain-america-civil-war-spoilers/

The creative committee got dissolved in 2015 and supposedly around the time Civil War was halfway through production. Bendis also would've had to work on Civil War 2 in November or December since the very accurate leak happened in January. He and the committee might've been told some characters were going to be killed off in Captain America: Civil War as initial plans, or possibly Marvel Studios messing with them.

>I'd love to see an actual list or collage of times where Bendis blatantly pulled imagery or synergy from the movies before said movies had even released.
>I know that Bendis brought Thanos and Star Lord back to the comics upon the release of "Marvel's The Avengers" and its post-credits scene.

Well specifically this series. It was published months before the first Avengers film was out, had Thanos be the main villain, and involved the GOTG (who would be getting a movie released two years after).

Also notice the Avengers line-up is closer to the film's version, which is notable because Bendis' Avengers and New Avengers had a different lineup.

If Bendis was still writing the book, Quill would've thrown on Brandi at some point because "dad loved it".