Leto's joker thread

What's your honest thought on leto's joker ? Both the good and the bad.
I honestly think all three actors who had play the joker did a good job, each of them kind of bring a different feel of the joker.

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/08/hollywood-has-ruined-method-acting/494777/
imgur.com/a/ZQUxg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My thought is leto's joker is pretty cool and handsome, and had those gangsta & pimp boos charming feel, which is good. But a bit too handsome and young to the the enemy of ben affleck batman and also not psycho enough

Pretty meh, he better do something impressive next time he shows up

Kinda garbage. Also apparently he was extremely annoying to work with because he tried to rip off Ledger's "method acting" and started pretending he was a wacky and evil irl.

I feel like somebody needed to reign him in. Like letting him purr at that one dude was fucking retarded. All my other issues with him have more to do with shit writing than letos performance

I think Jareds Joker was overly sentimental towards Harley; I think they should have made it appear more detached from reality.

Um sorry to break it to you kiddo, but method acting was a thing before Ledger even started renting space in his father's balls.

Completely crap.

> But a bit too handsome and young to the the enemy of ben affleck batman and also not psycho enough

Fun fact, Leto is older than Batfleck

Bad interpretation. Honestly, a gangster "this is what hed be like in real life!" take was a shit idea from the get go.
Poorly acted. Leto is just doing a Ledger impersonation the whole time despite his insistence that he was doing his own take.
Poorly written. Remember the clever gallows humour and likability of Nicholsons version? Remember the dark subtlely and symbolism of ledgers? Yeah, Leto has neither. Tells no jokes, and as far as subtely? At one point he claps his hands and yells "I'm not a man, I'm an idea!"

So it hits zero for three, the worst adaptation to date

That Anons point was he did it poorly. Ledger would lock himself in a room to study the character and made a scrapbook he thought the character would make.
Ledger did CUHRAZEE things, that WB told him to do, on set. Like, he sent Will Smith used condoms. I dunno about you, I dont think thats something the Joker would do.

In fact, it was during a period where WB would spread these cringey bts rumours as a way to advertise the film. Ledger does something crazy on set! The actors of SS needed a therapist to go to after shooting cause it was so dark! The people on the set of BvS CRIED when the actress first turned up in costume! The first screening of BvS got a standing ovation!

I'm glad theyve stopped cause those "impossible to back up, insane stories" schtick was getting on my nerves.

Any funny stories about it?

>The actors of SS needed a therapist to go to after shooting cause it was so dark
I remember this one. What the hell was meant to be so dark in that piece of garbage? Something so bad it required a therapist?

This. I liked him but he needs to pull back.

No, just what
said. It was all made up "epic pranks" to create hype.

>45
>Too young

Do you want a geriatric Joker or something?

Most people need to go to therapy after their careers are damaged that badly

>Leto is just doing a Ledger impersonation the whole time despite his insistence that he was doing his own take.

Yeah he acted nothing like Ledger"s version, maybe watch the fucking movie before spewing dumb shit.

fucking Ledger fags i swear

Fucking D E S T R O Y E D

>he sent Will Smith used condoms

Wow. That's so edgy that I can't even make fun of it.

I thought he was younger.... thanks for the information

>Same tone of voice
>Same "I'm gonna act quirky when acting threatening" schtick
>Same smug smartass expression
>Same DEEP SERIOUS VOICE WHEN HES ANGRY

>Hurr durr I love SS you mustnt have watched it and love Ledger

Honestly Ledger has nothing on Hamill, but I'll call a rip off a rip off when I see it.
Oh but he changed the laugh, so now it sounds like a squeeky door getting jammed shut. Totally different!

>I dunno about you, I dont think thats something the Joker would do.
Not even going to get into how autistic that sentence is.
There have been a fuckton of interpretations of the Joker in his 70+ years of being a thing, from being a gangster to clown doing silly pranks, to a mass murderer, who shoots and Paralyzes Babs and beats a kid to shit with a fucking crowbar ( something DCCU Joker already did) Point is there is no one way the Joker acts, the character is somehow reinvented every few years. Now there is three of them.

As for Leto's alledged on set antics, why do you people care so much about that shit? None of it effects you and nobody put a gun to your head and forced you to read about it.

Also Heath Ledger's Joker portayal while good is grossly overrated. This is coming from someone who constantly defended it from people here who were calling him Hobo Joker or saying he acted nothing like Joker aka "not muh" but all of a sudden a few years later he's the "definitive" portrayal around here? Fuck off.

Never saw SS but I cannot stand how he looks.

I get he's supposed to look "modern" and seem more like a gang-boss but it ended up looking like Marilyn Manson joined a Mexican prison gang.

I mean look at Ledger, he looked homeless and truly insane.

Even Jerome had his face poorly reattached with staples.

Fuck even injustice 2 joker looks better than Leto.

Leto Joker is nothing more than fanservice to get all those edgy tumblrinas and angsty teenage girls all tingly and sell tickets.

>>Same tone of voice
Nope. Ledger borrowed heavily from Tom Waits as well as a faux Chicago accent. While Leto is more nasally and higher pitched and the laugh is nothing alike.

>>Same "I'm gonna act quirky when acting threatening" schtick

Almost like they're both playing the same character or something. Nicholson did that in "89 Batman

>Same smug smartass expression
>Same DEEP SERIOUS VOICE WHEN HES ANGRY

Do your arms hurt from all that reaching?

>Fuck even injustice 2 joker looks better than Leto.
No it doesn't.

Also Leto looks like Comic Joker only with Tattoos

I really didn't like him. He was way too goofy in his acting. He kept making weird noises and doing something awkward with his mouth. I didn't believe him as a character, the entire time it felt like an actor trying to be cuhrayzee

it comes off as forced, and like most things that feel forced, it is criticized.

Ledger's Joker wasn't the "definitive portrayal of the Joker" but it was an excellent performance. Comic accuracy =! great acting. People who say it was the definitive portrayal are just tards

He also better bring some fucking "Joker Toxin" with him. Why was Nicholson Joker the only live action version to use it?

>Muh multiple interpretations shit
Fine, they're gonna make a brand new Joker. One completely different from anything we've seen before. One that sends used condoms to people and does cringey shit like look into the camera while filming and say "What if all the cameras where guns? Ready, aim, chaos!"

Is that the kind of interpretation you want? Of those 70 YEARS, this is the one you want in the only expanded cinematic universe?

Yeah! I can't wait for them to catch on in the comics and have Joker to come back and send Batman used condoms.

Like any actor he's working with what he is given. He's in like 3 scenes and not exactly a good movie. Wake me when he's the main villain and we can actually judge him for more than a few seconds

They both had nasally high pitched voices, what the fuck are you talking about?
>The smug expression and and DEEP SERIOUS VOICE don't count because I say so

Okay, tell me how his performance was different then. I cant think of a fucking way.

I doubt this happened. Will Smith once pimp smacked a media guy for kissing him on the cheek. He'd Big Willy Style a motherfucker for sending him a sperm sack.

I think people would not have had such a negative reaction to this one if it weren't for 1) the forehead tattoo 2) the grill and 3) that godawful reveal image.

It's like with the Xbox One. It becomes a meme and then it's too late to do anything about.

>One that sends used condoms to people and does cringey shit like look into the camera while filming and say "What if all the cameras where guns? Ready, aim, chaos!"

And again i ask: WHO GIVES A SHIT?
You people need to come up with a better argument than "B..but he sent used condoms" , i couldn't give less of a shit what he does on set, it doesn't effect me so i wont act like it does.

I also don't just dislike things because everyone else does, fuck popular opinion. I don't need it to be the same interpretation of the Joker especially when the comics don't even do that. Just have the core of the character down.

Leto was a glorified cameo in a bad movie, and frankly his character could have been removed completely from the story because he was of no consequence to it. THAT's the problem i had.

Only way to know if he's a good Joker is to have him in a full movie, and have him actually play off Batfleck. Something both Nicholson and Ledger had.

I don't mind Gangster Joker because it's been done, as has tattoo Joker, in fact much of his portrayal comes from different interpretations of the character, just like Ledger.

Ofcourse it didnt happen. Just another made up story WB put out there to drum up hype. Did you know people cried on the set of WW when she first showed up in costume?

Cause I dont. Not for a second WB.

>the grill
It's not a Grill though, they're caps because Batman broke his teeth

One might say he was too damaged to give a good performance.

I thought he was okay. I want to give him another chance to wow me with more screen time because I think he has potential.

Its indicative of the Joker he portrays. That was his method acting.

Film came out and yeah, it was a shit Joker. Exactly the kind whod send used condoms to appear edgey.

I dunno about you, but I actually do care about having decently written characters in my films. This Joker? You can keep him, he's complete garbage.

Well he needed a Director that wasn't an enabler and actually knew how to make an actor act. That wasn't the situation and just led to a bad situation.

>Being this buttmad over someone not liking Leto's Joker
DCfags are something else

>I dunno about you, but I actually do care about having decently written characters in my films. This Joker? You can keep him, he's complete garbage.

Then shit on the writers then because he acted with the material he was given

>Being this buttmad over someone not disliking Leto's jJoker

You autistic Millenials are something else

That's no excuse for him being kinda crap at it.

the parts that were in the movie sucked though. I guess he could have turned it around with more screen time but I doubt it

>like any actor he's working with what he is given

where is the line between what the actor does and how it is written/directed? That matters but at the end of the day, Leto was the one who had to make that character convincing and he failed. If a football team loses because the game plan sucked and the QB threw 4 picks, you can't say "well its not the quarterback's fault because the play calls sucked" because the quarterback still played like shit too

But his acting was shit too. Both sides were utter crap

I'm not buttmad about anything bro. No skin off my back if DC cant make a good film.

I can't speak for Leto's performance, but I find the appearance and the aesthetic to be so goddamn repulsive that it made me avoid the entire movie, even after finding out he's only in it for 5ish minutes, tops.

Also, the movie's marketing was fucking retarded, especially the "rumours" about the dumb shit Leto did to get in character. Everyone involved in the design and marketing of that Joker should be fired.

Its like Depp taking a comic relief character and Stealing a movie series.

>I'm not buttmad about anything bro.
Sure, kiddo

I dunno about fired but they definitely should not have won a fucking OSCAR

Jesus Chrsit.

Academy Award Winning Suicide Squad.

Believe what you want I guess. Enjoy your garbage film.

It definitely grew on me. I think they went overboard with him being edgy gangsta and everything. But I feel like the way he acted and the uneasy feeling you got around him was very Joker-y.

I'd definitely like to see him play a less tatted up hot topic mess version of the Joker in a later film.

Sadly he's probably already labeled this version his so we'll get more of this garbage if he's in more films.

He was trying wayyyy too hard imo. He's both an example of SS' issues of tone in the film (is he supposed to be dark or quirky?) and an example of a director letting an actor go wild without control. It's obvious some actors need proper directing in order to deliver a good performance--and it was quite obvious that Leto had no fucking brakes.

In other words, Leto went full retard. Fucking animalistic hisses and groans and shit. Same thing for BvS' Lex, btw.

Too much gangster, not enough clown. Most of his performance is snarling and staring off into nothing for some reason. About the only Joker moments he had was the exploding gift basket and firing the gold AK

i liked it.
that being said, there really wasn't enough Joker in the film for me to rank him properly, but i did like him.

Honestly, if they dropped the forehead tattoo and gave him pearly whites instead of a grill (though I understand Batman has probably knocked out all of Joker's teeth, the Joker could always find an unwilling donor). Besides that, I'm OK with him. He didn't do much in the movie to warrant a dislike of him.

Also, since we're all here. SS is the worst fucking comicbook movie of all goddamn time. Worse than Daredevil, worse than Catwoman, worse than Elektra.

Basically what made him a bad Joker is what makes Current Harley a bad Harley. They're just...slutty looking delinquents now.

Shit design, shit acting. The entire thing screams "le twisted cuhrazee" and is trying to get the attention of young people because "hey look, they have the mental illnesses just like you! right?!" and it's embarrassing to watch.

His laugh was absolutely shit. His design was shit. His performance was shit.

Not really seeing how people can say he was good. The only argument they have is 'IT'S A DIFFERENT TAKE!' which is bullshit, since Joker has never had a fucking tattoo. Joker considers himself above the shitbags and gangs that run Gotham, hence why he works alone and wears a suit. He wouldn't get trashy, edgy tattoos and then argue he's better than them.

i think this was due to the editing more than anything. that and the fact it was a harley movie with deadshot as supporting actor.

>Joker never had a fucking tattoo
Actually, he did that one time

>Joker has never had a fucking tattoo
Am I being rused?

I took my mother to see this and she freaked

>'IT'S A DIFFERENT TAKE!' which is bullshit, since it's different.

It's a grill. You can clearly see his fucking teeth.

I think he laugh sounds like a cackling witch doll with dying batteries. It the Penguin. Or Wario.

WAAAH AAAH AHH WAAAaaaah....

>His design was shit
>Literally comic joker, just with tats

He said, posting the shittiest comic Joker.

A lot of fucking tats

Terrible, Leto seemed like he was trying way too hard to be weird and eccentric. His performance really took me out of the movie.

I started defending him and the character after people started calling him a rapist after message board rpg from years ago and using out of context quotes and pictures from the cast that made him look like a sociopath.

if you read fight club the narrator/tyler durdan by the end he turns basically into ledger joker. based on his description. he has a Chelsea grin wears suits and is in a insane asylum, he also has the anarchy watch the world burn/ fuck money and stuff mentality.

and in a meta way in the movie version angel face would make sense as a copy of tyler as he was loyal to him. and it would explain the teeth and face scars.

i know it's stupid i just liked the connection.

All I know is is that it pretty much ruined method acting in Hollywood

theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/08/hollywood-has-ruined-method-acting/494777/

Long story short, despite Leto's haphazard attempt to method act, which included very over the top and unnecessary actions like harassing his coworkers and making a hostile environment for everyone, which any actor worth their salt would tell you is one of the worst things an actor can do, he turned in a very bland performance, and it turned out that none of the things he did to 'be in character' actually improved anything about his performance.

Its pretty much the breaking point of how Hollywood tries to talk up how people did crazy stuff for their roles in movies and how it made their performance so amazing, which isn't how method acting actually works and is just a way of advertising to them.

>Leto looks like Comic Joker only with Tattoos

golden ak is gangster as fuck though, it's just kind of cool though

>shittiest comic Joker.
Not nearly as bad as this.

I think that his design is okay, minus the forehead tattoo
Also he needs a better script and a shirt/white suit

This suit right here
Legend says there is a deleted scene where he wears the this suit and breaks some shit at the club
So the Bat appears and Joker runs away and it cuts to the pursuit scene

taking into consideration that almost everybody hates leto's joker ,what's your favorite joker design and why?

The tattoos, the grills, those are the issues with Leto Joker. Without those it would look fine.
Your pic related is a good look for Joker, the hair is kinda stupid looking, but it still looks better than the über edge tattoos and shiny metal teeth.

Leto Joker doesn't look like a Batman Villian. Leto Joker looks like one of the mooks he beats down at a drug deal.

Sauce?

Leto could probably play classic Joker given the chance

You don't NEED to do a crazy voice for it, Romero and Nicholson were relatively normal

that's a great suit and shoes. this and the tux looked great.

the only costume which was a big wtf was the shorts over leggings and trench coat. i didn't get it until i saw that some fashion people designed a similar look. and if you want to see and example look up davey havock from AFI, on the bloor tour. he's wearing the same outfit but in all black. so once i saw that was some avant garde fashion shit, it made more sense.

like the costume designer thought oh this is the next big thing with the kids lets put him in it because joker style will sell it or something to that effect. while it may not look good, i get what their point was. and even if i didn't like it, at least i understood the why the fuck would you?

troy baker is a better joker

that's what ayer wanted

it's not his fault, he's only an actor.

David Ayer is fucking OBSESSED with latino culture. Every movie he makes is filled with it. That's why joker looks like a cholo. It's fucking pathetic, but that's how ayer works.

>troy baker is a better Mark Hamill impersonator
fixed it for you

I think he'd be a fine Morrison-joker, who was more of a simmering predator with violent bursts of comedic animation, if it weren't for the tattoos. His biggest problem is that Leto doesn't seem very good at being funny, though that may have been an editing issue.

Too trashy, Joker should should look like a man of wealth and taste

Ledger's Joker only looked trashy from the neck up

>the only costume which was a big wtf was the shorts over leggings and trench coat
I think that was Leto's idea

See this: imgur.com/a/ZQUxg

nicholson was not normal. he was making jokes no one got but him and would just burst into laughter. he would get very quiet and serious for a moment and then suddenly break that and get whimsical and romantic and then violent and then laugh.

it was very joker. not normal at all, everyone in the room would look at each other like wtf?

I mean his voice. He just sounded like himself.