Totally Disappointed

It never got better, every issue was almost worse than the previous. Sales go from 250,000 for #1 to barley 35k for #12. How does Coates get not one but 2 spinoff books???

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mswati_III
cbr.com/interview-christopher-priest-inhumans-once-and-future-kings/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because the "comics media" is too afraid to criticize this shit comic because it was written by Coates, an author that wrote books that they surely didn't read.

It seriously needs to be more action oriented, dude needs a cowriter.
They're not bad ideas, the art is serviceable, he just needs less talking and more kicking.

>How does Coates get not one but 2 spinoff books???

he is the black author Marvel hired to be the black guy that writes Black Panther and Black Aven- I mean The Crew

Pretty much this. Much like Kevin Smith and Gerard Way, Coates is a guy who is widely liked for his work from outside of the business, thus giving him a position of status and prestige among the comics business. Marvel thinks that having Coates write for them legitimizes comic books in the same way Vince McMahon thinks having celebrities show up on RAW legitimizes pro wrestling.

>How does Coates get not one but 2 spinoff books?
Inhumans
Carol

At least one can say that Kevin Smith and Gerard Way know how to write in a comic format.

35k is a completely respectable number.

Whether the critics are blowing smoke or not, it IS critically acclaimed.

Oh thank god I thought I was just not getting it or something
I actually love T'Challa but I could not keep reading this, it wasn't bad, it was just boring.
I don't care about anarchist lesbians

>it IS critically acclaimed
It is not.

Coates was hired to be black at Marvel which is essential to their business strategy.

Shut up, fag

>someone brings up "America"

Having said this however I'll give him credit because he's tried to convey a sense of deep history, character and tradition of Wakanda.

>8.3
I was proven right.

Eh, you know, give it some credit, the characters felt like people and the locations felt like places. It seemed like, on some level, things could really develop, change, characters might die or the political situation in Wakanda might change. It was apart from all the costume shit. And the script certainly never made me cringe like the bad Marvel cape stuff did.

But, yeah, it was pretty boring, pretty heavy on random spiritual metaphors and shit that didn't really have an impact on me but took up many pages of the story.

>the characters felt like people
I felt they were the biggest flaw. Everyone is one dimensional and has the same voice.

>35k for #12

That's actually pretty good for a comic not featuring an a-list character. Doesn't warrant two spin offs but Marvel really wants that Civil War movie and diversity money so we got this.

Coates is a novelist and they don't always translate well to comics. Look at Meltzer who kind of got the same level of power despite being new to the genre.

You know a comic is mediocre when a Transformers comic manages to do what you're doing, in a better way.

35k in this market is pretty fucking good.

>Kevin Smith
>knowing how to write
L M A O
M
A
O

Coates isn't a novelist, he's a journalist. That makes it an even bigger transition.

Oh yeah, even though Smith isn't as good as Way, he's still better than Coates. But it doesn't matter how good Smith is, he'll continue to get work whenever he wants it because he's Kevin Smith.

He's not even a GOOD journalist. Most of his work is barely-concealed opinion pieces where he makes the story all about himself.

>Non-comic book writer writes a comic book
>It's shit
I'm shocked. Has this ever not been the case?

You forgot
>in a comic format.
And he KNOWS how to write. He wrote the best Daredevil after ten years of meh stories.

A lot

Neck yourself casual, Guardian Devil was overrated garbage. Of course it ends up looking good compared to Chichester's abortion of a run, but that doesn't change the fact it's shit. Even DeMatteis' run was better.

And every writer that came after him was a million times better.

Tom King

It's keen how Smith's Daredevil acknowledges in-story that he's just ripping off previous stories so you can't call him a derivative hack because he's a self-aware derivative hack.

I fell for the "Daredevil has only good stories" and read through his 90's stories. it is ALL shit. Kevin Smith was a breath of fresh air, deal with it.

>tfw just got the first volume of this for my birthday
>tfw keep on hearing about how awful it is
>tfw my brother really wants to read it b/c it's Black Panther
>tfw sort of interested myself
Are there still rape camps in Wakanda somehow?

Mieville
Gaiman
Castellucci
Gerard Way
Lethem
Claudio Sanchez
Tom King
Atwood
Stephen King

The trade was #3 in bookstore sales for Marvel.

Which of course was still below DC Super Hero Girls, but Marvel's trade sales are pitiful and they need all the help they can get.

Gaiman basically started out as a comics writer, the only thing before his Future Shocks was a Duran Duran fan book

To be fair The Crew was basically Avengers the Streets.

>priest
>brought in to do inhumans

I don't like the idea of bringing in a black guy to do a black character led comic but he'd easily be the best fit for BP and the other books considering that's his most popular stuff. I wonder if Marvel will try to woo him to taking over while he's doing the Inhumans mini.

King had a Vertigo internship before he went into the CIA. I think Way might also be similar, but I can't remember if he was formally involved or if it was just an interest in comics.

There's no chance in hell he'll go for it if they ask, which I'm sure the shameless saps will. He's so big in the industry that he can write just about anything he wants.

>Priest
>big
He was below Hopeless in relevance just two years ago.

>the problem is people don't fight enough
Oh no, it's not that the story should be better told or the pacing and editing needs to be improved. No, the problem is there isn't enough splash pages of people in silly outfits shooting ineffectual lasers at each other. That will surly fix this terrible book.

Best black superhero was the original Silverhawk from Image by Jim Valentino.
All other black heros are beautiful no made out to be infallible geniuses who are always the coolest/smartest/nobelest/etc/etc/etc in the room.

*All other black heros are made out to be infallible geniuses who are always the coolest/smartest/nobelest/etc/etc/etc in the room.

pot ruined him

Preiset basically just doesn't want to write black characters, but that was all he was being offered until Deathstroke.

>But, yeah, it was pretty boring, pretty heavy on random spiritual metaphors and shit that didn't really have an impact on me but took up many pages of the story

I feel like the each issue has a page or 2of brilliance but gets drowed out with all the long wides Bullshit. The over all 12 issue story also failed to have any lasting impression.

The action was fun was deffinatly lackluster. The "WAR" came off as a meh, especially compared to the skull invasion story from the previews run..

Priest is writing the best current capecomic across any company.

>How does Coates get not one but 2 spinoff books???

I assumed it was so they could have more recent Black Panther stuff to push for his film next year.

Now they can push recent trades of BP, The Crew and World Of Wakanda into bookstores for casuals. They can also push sales of them on Comixology and Amazon.

2nd best.

Yang is writing the best with New Super-Man.

Your forgetting America.
Gabby Rivera is writing the best capecomic currently.

Yeah but all from Coates... at least give us some different writers

WoW is by Gay

two words: axel alonso

He has been trying to turn BP into a "serious" Vertigo book since Hudlin.

No- no, she's definitely not.

Couldn't they just reprint Priest Black Panther?
I read some interviews and it was apparently the best book no one read and managed to run for years despite Black Panther being a character no one gives a fuck about and having really shaky art side difficulties the first year.

They did reprint it

They reprinted it from 2015-2016. They also made it all available via Comixology and Marvel Unlimited. They even included 'The Crew' to pad out the last volume.

They also reprinted his original series from Jungle Action along with his first self titled series.

Guardian Devil >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shadowland

This

Rude.

But the Transformers comics have been mediocre to good for the last 5 years and Furman was amazing.

>not liking Kesel's DD
you're a faggot

Smith >>>>>>>>>>>>> Kesel

Coates is getting to bring back The Crew? Marvel straight up dumped every character from that book not banned Rhodey... Why the fuck would they bring the book?

I mean I liked the crew a lot but... Why?

THE CASE FOR REPARATIONS BY TEENEEHESEE KOETS

I'm a fairly seasoned comic reader and, I've gotta be honest, I had no fucking clue what was going on in that first issue.

i've enjoyed the entire run, and I'm real excited to see a good writer take on best ship

What is appealing about this ship? From the books I've read, Storm seems to have more chemistry with women such as Yukio or Callisto

Storm and BP is a garbage pairing and you should feel bad because you like it.

>caring about what comic book critics think

These people are worse then video game reviewers

priest already did an excellent panther run where were you in 2003?

Claremont wrote a short story featuring Storm and Black Panther and how they met as teens in Africa with some unrequited love between them. Hudlin and Marvel decide to expand on that story with making Storm's first time with BP and he did it to help with his reasoning that the two main black characters in Marvel should be together. Funny enough after he got them married, Stormfags lost their collective minds on CBR and Sup Forums started to give a fuck about Storm for the first time ever because it was a Hudlin thing.

Aren't Blade and War Machine more popular than Black Panther?

Coates just doesn't have a handle on how to write for a comic. It's more like he's writing -around- the comic. He's too long-winded and keeps focusing on irrelevant stuff, which makes the book's pacing glacial.

Black Panther should be in jail.

He had sex with a 12 years old Ororo.

Niether was the first black superhero

1. That happen in Africa
2. He is a prince of a wealthy kingdom
3. She is a mutant and in Marvel they are the subhumans

Can princes get away with pedophilia?

With money and power you can get away with anything.

Just don't piss off the jews.

I could have sworn hearing or reading something that Way was on his way to the DC offices when 9/11 happened

>Can princes get away with pedophila?

Not a prince but whatever

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mswati_III

What's Priest doing Inhumans wise? Shit, Priest/Ewing seems like it'd be a fantastic team to handle the Inhumans, almost like what Priest/Percy/Abnett are doing with Deathstroke and the Titans

>What's Priest doing Inhumans wise?

cbr.com/interview-christopher-priest-inhumans-once-and-future-kings/

>In 1965’s “Fantastic Four” #45, legendary creators Stan Lee and Jack Kirby introduced Marvel fans to a mythic secret civilization of superpowered beings known as the Inhumans. Eventually, we got to know their Royal family, including larger than life figures like Black Bolt, a monarch with a voice that can crack mountains; his insane mind controlling, brother, Maximus; and Medusa, the Inhumans’ fierce warrior queen. The Shakespearean-style drama of the Royal Family has been a pivotal part of the Inhuman mythos ever since, with readers gaining the occasional hint and glimpse of their past, though the full tale of how they came to be has yet to be told.

>That changes this August when writer Christopher Priest returns to Marvel and teams with artist Phil Noto for the five-issue “Inhumans: Once and Future Kings” miniseries, announced today at the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo (C2E2) and billed as the “definitive origin” of the Inhuman Royal Family. And while the pair have not yet begun work on their collaboration, the planned story will take readers back to a time just after Black Bolt underwent Terrigenesis, when a king now known as the Unspoken sat upon the royal throne of Attilan.

>hey Coates we got a Black panther movie coming out soon, lets put a series out so we can market it
>cool im gonna write increasingly plodding barely coherent social and political tales in an all black society that somehow is all the white mans fault
>n-no we just wanted you to have him fight captain america

They are both royalty and regal and committed totally to a cause and there's tragedy in how those devotions keep them apart. And Storm has like a friendly openness that contrasts with T'challa's royal air.

I don't disagree about Storm having chemistry with women

Way was a DC intern before his boy band.

>When did you intern at DC?
>WAY: I interned, I’m going to guess it was around ’99.
>Was it in the editorial department?
>WAY: Yeah. It was in DCU editorial. Joey Cavalieri got me in there.

And lets be honest theres a big difference for the reference that he is showing the medium vs the coates approach of "well let me just write a boring novel in this comic book format"

madman

I thought Guardian Devil was overrated but you can't honestly claim Shadowland was better.

Fuck no, only like maybe the first three issues of Smith were good and they're not even better than Kesel's run. I'd even take Joe Kelly's run.

all of marvel is shit right now

Book is boring to me but Coates managed to do what Marvel was expecting him to do, the trade sales for this have been good (meaning people that are not into comics buy it because they're fans of Coates's non-fiction stuff).

35k at issue 12 for a character like Black Panther is not bad either, considering the shit sales Marvel has right now for everything that's not an event, Spider-Man, a #1 or Star Wars.

As dissapointing as this BP run has been, at least he's not Hudlin.

Different Crew; this one is made up of Luke Cage, Eden, Misty Knight, Storm, and T'Challa.

At least we got some Kasper Cole action in World of Wakanda #6.

Because his trades sell well