Want to talk about Japanese fans of Sup Forums things?

So, I got this weird fascination about understanding people from one culture and their reception to media and other cultural aspects from another.

I admit, I go onto the Japanese internet sites to observe Japanese people discuses western things that I also like. I never talk to them because I'm nowhere near good enough at Japanese to really converse. Plus I don't want to be that weird foreigner posting in where I don't belong, so yeah.

Japanese dubs of Sup Forums things are my jam.

youtube.com/watch?v=RdrIArTLkVU

youtube.com/watch?v=65RlzAYwE3M

Ive seen clips of the Japanese dubs of king of the hill and the boondocks. Now that's some interesting shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=_SIHPjLDhb0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3xWQdwNyfC4
youtube.com/watch?v=D6uRVCTmGaw
pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=58390461
youtube.com/watch?v=KEoGrbKAyKE
youtube.com/watch?v=Rt5QeVrf6fs&t=35s
youtube.com/watch?v=8RlWeFW3Kkg
youtube.com/watch?v=Ke9r-ldeX6g
youtube.com/watch?v=63MEREmY_Hw
youtube.com/watch?v=P9Mp1eH4V_g
youtube.com/watch?v=GM1UbFE-tUM
youtube.com/watch?v=B-dhZbGx84s
youtube.com/watch?v=zJapXoq2-VY
youtube.com/watch?v=HnL7j-XRX60
youtube.com/watch?v=8JewEcSK7Lk
youtube.com/watch?v=4w8fm7OvsTQ&t=17s
nickjapan.com/character/invader_zim/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=8LdnfpXq-dQ
youtube.com/watch?v=h_ej7ZlS2oQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9ODtsNMNJXk
youtube.com/watch?v=3L45lW6Hi9w
youtube.com/watch?v=6V55ySD4oWY
youtube.com/watch?v=rfGbeMchHzc
youtube.com/watch?v=KgN1dftU3FU
youtube.com/watch?v=Q7LCQ5z4FkI
youtube.com/watch?v=kIaRG-SpWkg
youtube.com/watch?v=TANVaUwCK98
youtube.com/watch?v=EUyIlJAfMtk
nicovideo.jp/watch/sm30987679
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Japanese dub of boondocks

It seems like Japanese dubs often do a really great job of matching the original voices, but the dub of Dexter's Lab had no accent for Dexter, and that's just shameful.

well for one they have no idea what whitewashing is

I know right? Its weird that they would dub the boondocks of all shows, given how much cultural context in regards to black people in America that the show revolves around.

From what I understand, Japanese things don't ever include accents other than regional Japanese ones. The only exception are Chinese accents. If you watching the original Japanese version of Hetalia, the only character with an accent is China.

holy shit I'm the same and I even imagine what the japanese dub would sound like when watching western shows and cartoons, how they'd butcher he names and the voice actors etc.

seriously, what do they say in place of "nigga"?

ニガ

Hiw hard is it to draw an afro?

but what happens when they air the "teacher says the n-word" episode?

>Eltingville Club in Japanese
youtube.com/watch?v=3xWQdwNyfC4

Ayup, as a fan of the_cartoon_that_shall_not_be_named, its been torture that season 3 still hasn't been dubed and might not ever. Goddamn I want to hear Japanese Treehugger, Moondancer, and Coco Pommel.

The show is on Japanese Netflix, and its know enough to even be referenced in the Watamote manga (another show that needs a 2nd season), so common Japan, deliver!

You know what else is on Japanese Netflix?
Samurai Gourmet. That show is a deep, deep look into Japan right now. Also comfy as fuck.

翻訳者のメモ:ニガは友達です

youtube.com/watch?v=D6uRVCTmGaw

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=58390461

I'd be more interested in what third world countries think of American stuff. What does Nigeria think of Adventure Time?

Well, we know what Uganda wants in an action movie.
youtube.com/watch?v=KEoGrbKAyKE

How about this, I heard that they dubbed power rangers once.

Power rangers, the show made from cutting up footage from an already existing and popular show in japan, got dubbed back into Japanese.

That's some crazy shit right there.

Steven Universe's japanese dub (it's pretty bad)

youtube.com/watch?v=Rt5QeVrf6fs&t=35s

>Star is Rin and Marco is Joseph Joestar.

Whoa.

Where can you find japanese dubs of western cartoons? There are some old cartoons I'm interested in hearing the dub of but they aren't up on youtube or seemingly anywhere else.

christ these voices are terrible

This reminds of a Yahoo answers where someone wanted to find the the Japanese dub of ATLA, and they're just called a weeb

Have some dubs OP:
>Ed Edd n' Eddy
youtube.com/watch?v=8RlWeFW3Kkg
>Spongebob
youtube.com/watch?v=Ke9r-ldeX6g
>Samurai Jack
youtube.com/watch?v=63MEREmY_Hw
>Phineas and Ferb
youtube.com/watch?v=P9Mp1eH4V_g
>Gravity Falls
youtube.com/watch?v=GM1UbFE-tUM
youtube.com/watch?v=B-dhZbGx84s
youtube.com/watch?v=zJapXoq2-VY

I appreciate Amethyst's Japanese VA. She does a decent enough job of communicating her rough, rowdy nature even if it doesn't exactly hit the spot like the eng voice does.
That Garnet is unforgivable though.

>:ニガは友達です

Mabel's Japanese VA is so cute that it's no wonder she is liked there.

Ed Edd n Eddy has a decent dub

youtube.com/watch?v=HnL7j-XRX60

>Garnet sounds like a guy

I live here in Japan. And honestly aside from a huge Disney obsession Japan's relation to american cartoons is no different than any other country.

In regards to interesting dub stuff though. For South Park they gave every character a Kansai dialect cause it was the only way they felt they could convey the course and foul language into Japanese well.

do you have a favorite western cartoon?
I also hear Anime is more popular in the U.S. than in Japan

How does Japan feel about Samurai Jack? Do they like it too, or does it not seem like anything special to them?

Found a clip from the movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=8JewEcSK7Lk

What? Where are you getting this stuff?

Translation please? My kanji game is wack

Kansai dialect has a weird relationship in regards to dubs. For English dubs it often gets translated into either southern accent or Brooklyn accent.

I meant while its popular in Japan some take it to a whole new level here in the U.S.

It's voiced by Mitsuki Saiga (a woman) though.

God bless our Lord and Savior Gashi Gashi

>I also hear Anime is more popular in the U.S. than in Japan

I unironically enjoyed watching the whole thing.

Didn't had a blast like that since Italian Spiderman

>some take it to a whole new level here in the U.S.

Think carefully about what constitutes fan activity in Japan and the US, and which requires more actual money, time, and personal devotion. Doing stupid, attention whoring things online is not "taking things to a whole new level."

They dubbed the simpsons. I wonder if they still are?

youtube.com/watch?v=4w8fm7OvsTQ&t=17s

>I wonder if they still are?
I see some zombie Simpsons in there, so probably yes.

I remember Japan went ballistic when they replaced the original voice actors with celebrities in the Japanese version of the movie. I didn't know Japan cared that much until then.

everyone there loves Disney

Jonathan actually
even better

westabo

That's very interesting.
Can you explain how is their take on the usual cartoons Sup Forums usually talks about? You've read some of their forums, right?

Gashi-gashi is my nigga

also yeah, as a weeb that spends all their time on a weeb board it's fun seeing the other side sometimes.

It was more than once. Dunno how often they did it but I know SPD got one at least, pretty sure the original as well.

I have a Japanese friend. He doesn't know much about western cartoons, but he said he saw an episode of the Simpsons in his English class and I think he likes it. He seems way more shocked that I like Japanese cartoons. Trying to get him to watch Invader Zim, which got a dub, but is probably hard to find now.

It's a shame I can't find anything good on 34, besides Bubblegum and Wyldstyle.
Damn it Gashi-gashi.

Zim had a dub?

Are you a foreigner working in Japan or are you actually Japanese?

Why's it always gotta be Japan? Why can't we talk about what Russia or the Turks or whoever thinks?

nickjapan.com/character/invader_zim/index.html

Why would we want to talk about unhappy poor rapists?

You talking about the turks or the ruskies?

Yes.

Because deep down we're all weaboos who want Japan to like the stuff we like so we feel validated.

Its sad but i've come to realize this is true.

Not me, I hate Japan because cartoons cant be waifus only Anime girls can and that makes me mad.

youtube.com/watch?v=8LdnfpXq-dQ

Wtf is Monster doing in this picture? It's really out of place.

>Why can't we talk about what Russia

Russia likes bannable offense equine show a LOT and much less creepily Gravity Falls.

...You beat me to it. Also, has Turkey done anything Sup Forums related besides Turkish Batman?

Nah, the term 'Otaku' came from Japan bub. And Otaku over there means fans who are sickly obsessed with pop-culture (often anime and game related) not just people who are a bit cringy about their affliction or anime.

Bodypillows, waifu-collecting, cosplay, figure collecting etc. they do it on a much bigger scale than the US. Still, Otakus aren't seen as 'normal'.

How about it when American cartoons and characters are 'anime-fied'?

youtube.com/watch?v=h_ej7ZlS2oQ

youtube.com/watch?v=9ODtsNMNJXk

youtube.com/watch?v=3L45lW6Hi9w

Well in Russia most SU fans prefer to watch Steven Universe subs only
Because the official dub is atrocius.
When a new dubbed episode is released, we only watch it ironically, to see how they fuck up next.
The dub really is bad, voice actors randomly change, a lot of lines and jokes are wrong, and obviously the censorship.
Also, they sometimes translate episode names weirdly...
Like "Back to the Barn" is translated as "Dancing from the barn" (тaнцyeм oт capaя)
And "Catch and Release" translated as "Peridots fish" (Пepидoтoвa pыбкa)

Preach. As much as we think "nerd culture" is accepted, it's really not. Yes, Walmart now sells video game and comic book t shirts to adults. No, that doesn't make them better.

it says translator's note: nigga means friend.

come on post some westaboo art

That Transformers one is fucking hype, holy shit half that shit in there doesn't even fucking happen

Speaking of which, if you cunts want to have a bad time look up Transformers Kiss Players

>So, I got this weird fascination about understanding people from one culture and their reception to media and other cultural aspects from another.

mentions only japan

right because japan is the only other country that exist besides us and canada

Weeb

I thought you had an entire distinguished translation community descended from the fucking Soviets with rules and shit.

This

Every non-earth character in Star vs. also has a Kansai dialect apparently.

>Bart calls Homer "Oyaji" (old man) instead of Homer
Okay.

I liked to read the strange (to me) things that some other countries like Russia said and did about Gravity Falls, although plenty was not that different from America I guess, though some things were.

I love this kind of shit

>We Bare Bears
youtube.com/watch?v=6V55ySD4oWY
youtube.com/watch?v=rfGbeMchHzc
>Chowder
youtube.com/watch?v=KgN1dftU3FU
youtube.com/watch?v=Q7LCQ5z4FkI
>Teen Titans
youtube.com/watch?v=kIaRG-SpWkg
youtube.com/watch?v=TANVaUwCK98
youtube.com/watch?v=EUyIlJAfMtk

huh. lisa's VA sounds perfect, the others dont sound anything like the originals

>P&F
Welp, everything is pretty spot on and then Candace starts singing. I wonder what the elevens think of Welcome To Tokyo, or Stacy/Ginger in general.

>dat pic
Dohoho, the tumblr drama was hilarious.

Nip fans of Sup Forums stuff is generally referred to as Westabos.

I wonder how the japs would feel about Warhammer 40K. If there are any that know what it is.

Japanese Aku (that sounds weird) does not ham it up as needed.
Couldn't they just hire Mako to dub it in Japanese?

There's the accent to consider user. Same reason they didn't let Arnold do the German dub of Terminator, he sounds cool in English but in German he sounds like a farmer.

Wait, didn't Gashi got flak-gunned by some fanatic SU tumblrites for drawing garnet white?

Homer sounds like a drunk version of his old German voice.

I know that Chinese like it.

the japanese dub of ed edd n eddy knocks my fucking socks off. the voices are so accurate

of course they did

>I also hear Anime is more popular in the U.S. than in Japan
Obviously it isn't.

Being an otaku doesn't mean being "sickly obsessed," and the perception of otaku in Japan has changed since the 90s.

It was autismal screeching over the light effect in her hands. They were adamant it was a whitewashing attempt.

Understandly Gashi was quite confused about it.

It's too bad that Nickelodeon Japan crashed and burned so badly. It would've been neat to see how shows like The Loud House would've been handled. I guess Nick could always license it out to Disney Japan or whatever if they wanted.

Speaking of TLH, how does the elevens like that? I know they fansubbed Tiny Pastel Equine and I could see the same thing happening there, if it doesn't have an official dub.

I'm assuming they love it since the harem/ss/ doujins practically write themselves which was probably Savinos plan all along :^)

Are you me ?

I mean theres europe which is being taken over by muslims at the moment and some parts of africa where people with sticks are dancing around their huts but I mean is it relevant?

Honestly, I haven't seen much interest in TLH at all among Japanese westaboos or whatever you want to call them. You could probably count on one hand the number of TLH art pieces on Pixiv that are drawn by actual Japanese artists.

The fact that Nickelodeon has zero presence in Japan right now doesn't help, and shows which are decently popular like Gravity Falls or Adventure Time have the full weight of Disney and CN behind them. They also have a cuter and softer look to them, which probably appeals more to them than TLH's look unfortunately.

That said, someone did do a sub of the first ep fairly recently, so maybe they're slowly becoming aware of it. nicovideo.jp/watch/sm30987679

>nico
Oh wow, I haven't been there in forever.
Can't remember my old account and can't be assed to make a new one.
>implying i have or want a social media account

Shame it was the first episode that got subbed, I remember that as pretty awful.

The whole pic is ugly as shit
He deserved to be blasted for it