How's Your Webcomic? #364: Fetish Edition

You've got a webcomic, right? Share your WIPs, concept art, pages, scripts, story ideas, whatever. Give and get comments and critique.

Thread Activity: If your comic couldn't be a comic, what medium would you use to tell it's story? Animation? Live Action? Novel? Video game?

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
webtoons.com/en/challenge/its-about-a-duck/list?title_no=69778
tapas.io/episode/687712
anatomiaartistica.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/michael-hampton-figure-drawing-design-and-invention-1.pdf
archive.org/details/FigureDrawingDesignAndInventionMichaelHampton
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on: discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

Posting it again, cause the last thread just got closed (please don't kill me)

webtoons.com/en/challenge/its-about-a-duck/list?title_no=69778
Trying to write a comedy comic that is rather story focused, but like in a random yet consistent way. I don't really know, it is its own thing I guess.
Constructive critisism is welcome, I would really like to know what I do wrong/right.

>If your comic couldn't be a comic, what medium would you use to tell it's story?
I'm making it a comic BECAUSE I would never be able to make it an animation

I would love to do animation. My kind of dialogue works better spoken, anyway, and I"m always coming up with cool action
on the other hand, there's enough repetition for a videogame to be a great idea. That way a person's "signature thing" is what they do repeatedly in the game, but the player doesn't get bored. and it would still have hella dialogue.

So I just started this webcomic about online dating. Your thoughts?

tapas.io/episode/687712

good idea! their eyes are a bit close together.

I want to make my own goth waifu, something cute and creepy at the same time, but nothing works. How i do that ?

Yeah, I'm kind of drawing it without too much fuss. But glad you like it.

This is just my personal opinion but changing well known names of brands is fucking retarded and annyoing. When I see another "facepage", "cherry phone" or "popsi cola" in comics, movies or whatever I get instantly pissed off.

Just call it tinder. No ones gonna sue you (companies don't give a fuck, it's free advertising) and no immersion is going to be broken. It just works better.

Also, Jess a cute but what's her motivation for online dating when she could just pick up any guy on the street?

Look at a bunch of other goth waifus, decide one aspect of her design that will make her different, and start splicing together those designs with your unique spin in mind.

Meant for

>Just call it tinder. No ones gonna sue you

Perhaps you're right. Tinder probably wouldn't sue me but I still thought that I should play it safe. I don't think it's that big of a deal. Also, it's Cindy who is looking for a bf. Jess and Sharona are just "helping".

I guess I could talk about mine a bit...

I've been changing the storyline over and over as years have gone by, though to be fair each time it gets a little better as I get a little more experience with writing. Just saying, it's still a bit of a clusterfuck as I figure out what I really want out of it.

Concept revolves around a boy who goes through a fantasy world where people have the power to change both themselves and the world around them. The idea is that his emotional problems from the real world manifest themselves physically in the fantasy world, Psychonauts-style, and that by dealing with the problems in the fantasy world, he is in fact dealing with his own problems as well.

Typing it out now, it all seems so simple, but I have all these "visions" and details about that world that clutter up what should be a simple concept. I guess I just need to learn how to cut dead weight, even when I don't want to.

Oh and to answer the thread question - it would definitely be a book if it weren't (or will be) a comic. Hell, half the time the writing I do when planning the story is detailed enough to be a book anyway.

I'd suggest just coming up with an entirely different brand name then. At least then it's not so obvious what you're trying to do.

I think I posted this once in a previous thread that was about to expire, so not sure if anyone's seen it.

My art is crap. These storyboards are just intended to give a sense of what the chapter is supposed to look like. But it's hard to judge if it makes any sense to someone who doesn't see it all in his head...
1/2

user from one of the last threads here who's working on a concept for an adventure comic where the MC can control animals.The world this all takes place in is pretty much equivalent to early 80s society, so no internet or highly advanced commercial computers. Organized crime is under pressure from international agencies and there's strong telecomunication surveilance. So crime syndicates use carrier pigeons (among other mehtods) for communication.
In this chapter, MC raids a floating base for the carrier pigeon network and gains intel related to the murderers of his mentor.
MC works with a herd of killer whales to take out the criminals.
At first I wanted to use some extra pages to show how the pigeon network works: decription, encription, vetenary people for the birds, how gangsters send and receive messages and so on. But I decided it would hurt the pacing. Maybe I'll bring it up again in a later chapter.

I like them when they're funny or plausible. if they're obvious knockoffs that's stupid
unless they then point it out, then it's funny again

2/2

I like the idea but your art is a bit static. If you've ever done 3D models you understand what I mean. Basically, the poses for your characters look inorganic, unnatural and rigid.

Is this ONE? Is this your next idea? I thought MP100 was going good? Are you going for a second serialization?

Here's a new page of west tree. I'm posting this one again because I posted it right when the thread died.

Either way, I'm trying to change up Jack and Annabeth, Annabeth's personality is changing because it's actually part of the plot, and it's convinient for me because it calms Annabeth down and will make him less involved in part two of west tree, mainly because part two will be more about Sarah and Saudra part one is more about Jack, btw.

Either way, I'm changing up Jack a little bit because I'm really getting tired of his "Oh geez! I'm so nervous!" personality So I'm making him more calm, collected and witty.

Post your abandoned or sidelined comic projects and ideas.

I'll start. "Nasty Itch": Comic about a drugged up hobo trying to survive an alien invasion.

I never knew how much I needed this

>I'm really getting tired of his "Oh geez! I'm so nervous!" personality
I kinda liked how he finally had a personality but you don't wanna go full Morty
you never wanna go full Morty.

I'll take that as a compliment.
I've been working on this concept for quite a while, I plan on doing at least 10 pages of storyboard a week for the next couple of months. I realize my art makes it look silly though...

>PuppyDuck
>a hybrid duck and puppy who explores a surreal landscape drawn in incredible simplicity
>based on a dare from a fellow college student who didnt believe i could draw

>Professor Brad
>obese cat teacher is terrible at his job and wastes the other cats' tuition
>also came up with in college, was intended for the school newspaper. organizer of said paper graduated before it could begin

Appreciate the critique man. I'll take this into consideration.

wait, it was Drab. it was an anagram. the teacher's name was brad

>finally
That was pretty much his personality the whole comic, but yeah, sometimes he'll do that, but only in like, dire situations.

I guess you could say he's getting more detached and used to it and just enjoys making long winded observations more.

The peddlers
A duo of magical criminals take up a job bounty hunting in order to escape a life of imprisonment.

Me again. (I have a lot of neglected babies)

"Tabaluger" Comic about a gun-enthusiast who's luger gains sentience and starts to affect his life. I want the wacky premise to contrast real life challenges for the characters and leave ambigous if MC is actually mentally ill.

Do you know who ONE is? Just had to get that out of the way first and say I really enjoy this concept and the fact it takes place in an 80's setting. The reason I referenced ONE was because this just really reminds me of MP100, the art style and base concept are similar but with enough of a difference to be enjoyable. Also Westerners don't read much manga so unless they are Chinese cartoon and comic enthusiasts they wont understand the similarities

Posted this when the last thread was over, might as well post it here too.

That's kinda cool, what are the people controlling them like how did they get that ability? what's the world like? If you don't mind sharing.

I've read all of Mob100 and OPM (as well as pretty much all acclaimed sci-fi manga that have proper releases). I don't see a lot of similarities though, I think it's mostly the crap art and the fact that there is also a crime syndicate in one of the later mob arcs I think?
If I had to point to any specific influence/inspiration I'd have to say Yoshihiro Togashi's works.
The only concrete similarity applies to any adventure manga that has some form of a battle system based on special abilities (and there are dozens of those in WSJ releases alone).

But again, I really enjoy ONE's stuff, so I'm flattered.

>If your comic couldn't be a comic, what medium would you use to tell it's story?

I'm making the comic specifically to maybe have it animated one day. It'd work much better as a cartoon, but that's a shitload of work for one person (plus hiring voice actors)

Finished the next page of Lido

I'll say it again: i'm surprised we dont have more "animated storyboard" type comic videos. like Reading Rainbow used to do just kinda panning across illustrations and providing voiceover. or like 'Ariel Needs Legs' shit. if I had just ine female friend to do voices, I'd do one. I should really see if i can just Hyadain my voice..

I ditched an idea about chapter 8 where I revealed that Angel is only happy because she has a sercret stash of alcohol, but i felt that would make her a shitty character, so i ditched it.

I planned for Annabeth to have Multiple personality disorder, but that's a touchy subject, so I just went with Annabeth being possesed by different entities all the time.

I could do a whole book about stuff I deleted from west tree if I wanted too.

Or maybe a video series. I was actually planning on doing that, going back and talking about old chapters, like how that guy who makes Gunnerkrig Court does it.

I'd probably do like, one video per chapter.

no problem

Not at all.
The ability of controling animals is unique to MC. Abilities are formed through long mental and physical training and are based on past experience an emontional factors so there are no identical though sometimes similar abilities.
It's a basic rock-paper-scissor system with three types: 'Object' ability manifests as or through an object, 'body' ability re-shapes the body and 'direct' any ability not fitting the other two categories.
There are also some other super-human skills not related to this system like ESP and spriting (applying stasis to phsysical objects, very handy for combat)
There's a whole flashback arc dedicated to MC gaining his ability.

The world is mostly similar to 80s earth though there are some geological and zoological variations and the political landscape looks a lot different.

I asked this in the last thread briefly before it got shut down so it couldn't get any replies so…I guess I'll repost it here;

Considering how poorly a lot of webcomics handle the topic; How do you write good romance? I have a few characters that I gradually want to put together (they'll be friends at first but the attraction between them would grow over a couple of volumes since I like slow buildup/burns in my romance)

I guess to simply it what turns you off to a romantic subplot in a webcomic and/or what actually gets you invested?

wrong pic.
Also the rock-paper-scissors effect is almost negligible in actual combat, it only matters in matchups with identical strength.

I think that would make her a fine, common character. perhaps too common. bit cliche. except it doesnt make you happy, quite the opposite.
I dont think the fictional version of multiple personality is touchy, given that even the real thing only tenuously exists.

I cant think of any western comic, mostly because I'm a capeshit faggot, but there was an old Chinese comic called FMA that I think, while at first I'm not sure if it had a romantic subplot, did the ending with the protagonist and his love interest nicely. I guess the best advice I can give is don't make it a romance at first then, make it a subplot. Don't purposely put the characters for "muh development" but instead put them together in moments where it makes sense. And don't lewd it, that's asking for the romance to be given away

Designs for angelic creatures. The base shape generates a unique weapons system based on the Situation. Is it too simplistic?

I like when people find someone they can be themselves with, in a world where they cant otherwise.. and just discovering that. slowly letting guards down.. it's wonderful

but honestly i like any romance as long as the dude and the lady are genuinely into each other and not, like, the Lockhorns

seconding this user.
I tried to reply to you last thread but it was allready archived so I'm not going to write the whole thing again.
I gave three manga examples with subtle and/or realistic romance: Beck, All-rounder meguru and Eden
If you want the romance plot to be the driving force of the story, read some Inio asano (his writing style is off-putting to some people though)

The concepts seem interesting, but they look so rough right now it's hard to tell what the designs were actually going for. Are these supposed to be very geometric angels, and are you planning to draw them in a very flat and simple style? if so, cleaning up your linework would help a lot, maybe the addition of some color could help these designs shine a bit more too

Well
are essentially monoliths with heads. The 'body' is a chunk of matter that becomes the basis for newly generated shapes. So the base-form is mostly flat, yes.

There are a lot of other types of creatures though.
Pic related, The 'stumps' unfold like flower petals and give way to rows of articulate fiber.

Glasses guy looks like Gideon from Scott Pilgrim.
I like it

Thanks!

He's originally based on Neil Cicierega (circa 2007), but I've noticed similar looks around since.

Lineart for the next page!

cant wait for that show

love how this is going down. it's so not-smooth, that's perfect

>When I see another "facepage", "cherry phone" or "popsi cola" in comics, movies or whatever I get instantly pissed off.

This wouldn't be so bad if shared universes made one and stuck to it. Marvel and DC alone probably have 50 versions of facebook and twitter.

I wanted to steal an Idea from Sup Forums from a while back about about a scary looking guy that kept accidentally doing shit that made people think he was a war criminal.

I also have a not very well thought out Cape universe that ended up being a lot like some other one so I think I'm mentally keeping myself from just doing fun little stories with it like I wanted. Not an ongoing.

The last one is a spin-off of my comic proper showing the first reoccurring villain's lives before ended up the villains. Basically the "villains are heroes of their own stories" in action.

The dude's expressions in panels 5/6 are very cute, all the gestures/expressions are really nice in this page

Magic Eraser

Was a comic about two brownies (the elf, not the pastry) helping a police officer solve crimes in a city where fantasy walked among the mundane

i can see why you canned that, but i'd like to see it done just once except the real life half of real life isnt exactly like real life despite the obvious reasons it shouldnt be

I'm going to be frank, and you can disagree, but. Unless the romance specifically adds to the thematic elements or is a focus point, there's no reason for it. Romance is so complicated that, to be done right, it needs a lot of focus. If your characters are slicing and dicing aliens in some epic destiny quest, there just is not enough space in the narrative to do either justice imo.

bump. Have an aunt w/ her niece and nephew. For another comic idea I have but barely developed.

bump

>TFW not done first draft but have excruciatingly cute and detailed write-ups on how my girl characters' feet smell

MOM'S GONNA FREAK

Did another environment test like I did in the last thread except this time on the opposite side of things. I haven't drawn a lot of naturey stuff but I think this looks alright.

are there even words for that?

stop writing with your dick and write with your brain

How's the character design going on your sides, any new characters you wanna spoiler?

This little one is one of the MCs in the comic along with Lume. Haven't settled on a name Minix is probably gonna be a placeholder or probably permanent one who knows.

I've been reading a book on figure drawing and gesture and holy crap has it been easier for me to draw characters in new poses, it's like my drawing library has been EXPANDED! Seriously to any action comic guys like me do READ some books on gestures, dynamic pose and movements.

Also will be trying to improve my onomatopoeias and effects for the comic.

Thanks!

Some sloppy colors.

>tfw depressed as fuck

I want to get work done, but I'm too busy hating myself. Is this why most creators are alcoholics?

Welcome to the past couple months of my life. Too busy thinking about how much I suck.

how the fuck do you keep being so creative.
also wanna share the name of that book?

>name of that book?
Micheal Hampton Figure Drawing Design

Great read, don't expect to be spoon feed alot and make sure to do some exercises everyday, you'll get the hang of it.

Even when i feel like i can do any pose i want with a character, I still find poses i can't do normal and i review the book for tips and advice on what can help.

yahaha!
anatomiaartistica.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/michael-hampton-figure-drawing-design-and-invention-1.pdf
once again the cardless library has paid off. Ima check it out sometime

oh wait
that seems to not work for shit
here we go
archive.org/details/FigureDrawingDesignAndInventionMichaelHampton

You can also use a site called B-ok.org, biggest library i found online. Great books can be found here do some research and explore /ic/ they recommend great books... just don't get caught in the drama.

Pic related was a request from another thread, but actual was the design for the main villian in my other comic. Guy that could take apart and reassemble space,time and MORE!

I could definitely make a villain more intimidating than this guy though, and probably one with more thought put into it.

there's nothing like a black humanoid silhouette with cosmic swirls. I've used one before, and I'm sure I got it from somewhere else first. possibly Lord Nebula, but he had more of a starfield.

most recent page so far. hows it look?

you've been working on this page for a good long while haventcha

Bump

that look petty good, like from an old CN show. Good job.

Your stuff is always impressive and you keep getting better.
Do you have chapters online allready? If so, link please...

Ha, I remeber the thread you posted this comic for the first time. What was that, a year ago?
You definitely got better at drawing. Are you still working on chapter 1?

cont.

So, I recently read Manhunter, and got inspired. Kate Spencer is a fucking train wreck, and yet, she's incredibly compelling. I want that. Fortunately, my group of heroines are already a bunch of assholes, so I think I'm on my way.

I just need to figure out how to make them likeable while keeping them as well-intentioned jerks. Thoughts? Advice?

Humor. Have them say mean, shocking things, but shocking in a funny way so you can't hate them.

image possibly related

No, I agree with you 100%. I try to avoid romance unless it's important to the plot (which in my case it is because it leads to events and characters being made etc etc) as I usually find that sorta thing boring and not entertaining.

No, Phil Fish wants to be the lovable jerk type, by goes way too far into genuine asshole. That, and he's a little bitch who gave up because the internet said mean things about him, abloo hoo.

Hm. Perhaps giving my gals a strong sense of integrity would help a lot. For example, it's easy to hate Richard Nixon, but also easy to respect him because for as much a jerk as he was, dude was willing and able get past some of his own bullshit to get shit done.

That's a slippery slope there. You could always have the tsundere thing where their asshole facade covers the fact that they care a lot but don't want to be taken advantage of. Or you could have their jerkiness be relatable like why people enjoy "Harley Quinn". You really don't want to fall into the hotdiggetydemon, jhonen vasquez, ren & stimpy, catdog, etc thing where all of the characters are horrible assholes and it just gets grating and mean spirited. It works for really gag driven things but if you're trying to create genuine attachment to these characters it wont work.

DAMN, MAN! You're making me so jealous. I really tried to learn gesture with those websites that have you draw a new form every 30 seconds, but I just can't wrap my head around it. Tutorials say "follow the flow and don't fill in detail", but all I do is draw barely legible chicken-scratch stick figures that have more in common with tumbleweed than a human being. Pic related is something I did a few days ago, a character for a wizard mini-series I'm working on to get me used to drawing and composing comics. Without gesture she feels very stunted and stiff, and as far as posing's concerned I'm pretty much a slave to whatever google image reference I can find. Any help would be appreciated!

Jojokes.

Do you draw shitty references in your comic? Legit question.

Yes I do, all the time.

A secret to save you self some cringe is to have all but one of the characters actually get the reference.

That or just hide it away in the background.

No.
References and memes are bad substitutes for humor, as you are not using your own writing skill to develop funny interactions with your character, but relying on someone else to do so.

Just as a reference what is the best (or more accurately your favorite) webcomic? Which is your least favorite/the worst?

Which do you think is the most overrated?

Mine. Dewd's.

Anything that has been around for a while, its garbage but people still read it out of duty.

Let's discuss the difference between knockoff and inspired by.

I want to do a story about a species of alien robots who shapeshift into vehicles. You're already thinking "That doesn't sound familiar AT ALL!". Yeah, so how does one pull off a work that will draw inevitable comparisons to a well known property that has a similar concept?

First off, Hasbro can eat a fat dick, since they do not own the very idea of this, and Go-Bots did it first anyway. Second, I have much different, more SOL-ish ideas for it. And third, the whole reason I want to do it in the first place, is that Transformers has always been held back by the need to be about the war. Even in stories focusing on times where the war has stopped are ultimately about Bots VS Cons. Even fucking Beast Wars was about the Bot/Con war, even though that should be impossible.

My point is that "shape shifting alien robots" is an idea wasted on the same scenario repeated ad nauseum, so fuck it. Thoughts?