How does Sup Forums feel about Gargoyles?

How does Sup Forums feel about Gargoyles?

I just finished re-watching the series, and was hoping to get some discussion about it to assuage my "I wish this series was still going" blues.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cFWgokKStzo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I always wanted to like it as a kid but I could never get into it.

I liked it when I was a kid, but I never fully appreciated it until I rewatched it as an adult.

I never saw it as a kid - grew up in the middle of rural South Dakota, didn't have anything but 3 channels till I was about 14.

I discovered it in High School, and that was when I binge watched it for the first time. I absolutely loved it, but now I'm depressed since I know nothings going to happen to it.

Thanks, Disney, you cunts.

It made me wanna read Shakespeare, kek

The Shakespearean references in this show were phenomenal - and not even just the obvious ones. It had that sort of dramatic tone, and almost felt like a particularly hammed-up production of the Bard as you watch it.

I remember watching it a bit as a kid, but couldn't recall that much. I eventually came to learn it had a pretty big cult following, so I sat down to watch it.

First 2 seasons were really strong and the writing was impeccable. Third season had everyone acting out of character for the sake of contrived drama and it didn't feel like anyone went forward or developed as a character so I dropped it after watching 3/4 of season 3. I just couldn't be arsed and was disappointed with what they did to such well written characters.

One other note I'd mention is that I was a bit ambivalent on the whole goliath/angela/elisa/bronx avalon saga. Whilst it was good they hearkened back to the manhattan clan a little bit and it was all tied up very nicely and them being away for so long had interesting ramifications, I probably would've enjoyed seeing the manhattan clan a bit more.

Also Xanatos was a fucking 10/10 villain and probs my favourite part of the lacklustre season 3.

It also had lots of references and themes taken from various cultures' mythologies, especially Celtic mythology. Surprisingly educational show considering it wasn't really marketed as educational.

Season 3 was as terrible as it was, imo, because of the lack of input of the original creator - you can tell he put a lot of himself into this show.

I also agree with you about the World Tour saga - it was pretty neat, but I would much rather have more development of the main story, especially with the hindsight of how little time the show actually had.

A friend of mine I watched it with claims he heard someone succeeded on a test about MacBeth based solely on what he'd seen on the show. I don't know if I buy that, but it's fun to think about. It definitely seemed fairly well researched.

Seasons 1 & 2 are 10/10. Great characters, great aesthetic, great voice acting. Loved the mythology and Shakespeare, really opened up new horizons for a younger me.

Season 3, on rewatching, is honestly skippable, except that Proteus episode because it had weirdly fluid animation.
It isn't canon anyway.

The show awakened something in me. I'm still left sexually unsatisfied without a 7 foot female gargoyle choking me

Great show, the last season is surprisingly good, I expected it to be trash with the reputation it has but it provides a good ending and there's a few solid episodes there.

>MFW no Gargoyle Waifu

The Genesis game was surprisingly good/violent given Disney's 16-bit era being iffy in comparison to what they pulled off when the NES was relevant

youtube.com/watch?v=cFWgokKStzo

A Gargoyles world in Kingdom Hearts is probably too much to ask from nu-Disney, and has just as much chance of being acknowledged as Shnookums and Meat, not that I'd trust them to do anything other than manhandle it at it's peak again

>all that shakespeare and king arthur shit

god I loved it

Is season 3 the "Goliath Chronicles?"

I would do things that would make god cry with this hunkgoyle

Gargoyle!Elisa was hot as fuck. It makes me sad she only showed up once - Delilah wasn't a bad substitute though.

yeah, the creator's departure fucking sucked and as you said the decline in quality was pretty obvious. It's a shame, because the gargoyles being outed and having factions of people hate then could have been done really well. Instead we got 'X character is mad, because goliath or the others were uncharacteristically mean to them and now they are going to run away or act out'.

From what I understand, the comics that got made later went somewhere with that plot - and it seems to have done better.

Not to mention the comics canonized the fact that John Castaway was actually Jon Canmore, which makes his character a lot more interesting than the cartoonish villain we got in the third season.

>How does Sup Forums feel about Gargoyles?

I really enjoyed it. It's been awhile since I watched it, but I remember liking Brooklyn a lot. Good characters, good plot, amazing world lore and depth. I give it a 8.5/10.

The only thing I would change is I'd try to give Elisa a bit more depth besides
>Muh Morality
>Muh family
>Muh lovable tongue&cheek humor
>is Muh interspecies relationship ok???

She almost had something when her brother got furfagged, but she immediately got over it. I'd love to see some actually psychological damaging, because she really went through some fucked up shit. Goliath's PTSD was portrayed beautifully throughout the show, I don't see why they couldn't do the same for Elisa and give her some depth.

Reading that Ask Weisman stuff at s8 just compounds the loss as he teases at so much stuff we could've gotten.

I can honestly say it's my favorite show of all time. Like, I loved this show enough to get all three of the SLG comic volumes that they put out, that's Clan Building Vol. 1&2, and the Bad Guys TPB.

That shit was not cheap.

Making her a police officer stunts her a bit in a children's cartoon.

Making her a reporter or something, while a bit April o'Neil, would re-contextualise her relationship with the Gargoyles, where she has a dilemma between telling the world such things exist, and keeping them a secret for their own safety. Basically she has to really be careful not to turn into Bluestone.

Wait BIG question here, did Goliath or any of the gargoyles explain to Elisa the circumstances of how they came to modern New York from medieval Scotland? and how their whole clan/family was slaughtered? If your joining a tight-knit group like that you need to know the baggage. was Elisa obvious to this the whole time?

Yes, and by word of Greg it's non-canon and the Gargoyles comics replace it in terms of continuity.

Would you hang out with the trio, commando?

Remember that time Thailog out-fucking-skilled Xanatos?

She didn't just know the story, she lived it via time travel shenanigans.

When? I dont remember Elisa time traveling back to castle Wyvern.