"I've had limited exposure to movies; I'm young and I only started watching films when I was 15."

>"I've had limited exposure to movies; I'm young and I only started watching films when I was 15."
>wins Cannes' Jury Prize at 24 and the Grand Prix at 26

How does he do it bros?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/II76GoslcGs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He's gay and French but not really
>a fucking leaf

The answer is always rich parents

>Dude homosexuality lmao
>oh wow so progressive

I don't mind getting raped by him to be in his film.

>going back to some old memes
Really upset at all these SW threads, op?

LOOK MOM I'M DIRECTING

>I've had limited exposure to movies; I'm young and I only started watching films when I was 15
I don't even have to look to know this nigga is probably rich as fuck.
Movies are the lowest form of art, he probably went to operas and galleries and shit.

I can feel myself pulling the shopping cart watching this

There are tons of kids with rich/connected parents who want to be filmmakers but will never make it. I don't know if this guy's parents are rich but he obviously has other things going for him.

About to a Dolan flick for the first time.

What am I in for?

***to watch

faggotery and mommy issues

mommy and faggotry issues

dolan pls

>gay guy gets the 'your gay' award
It's sad to see when films are no longer judge for the camera work, writing, directing, or even acting but on arbitrary shit like virtue signaling

Its because he is rich and isn't a total fuck up. Two people with the same idea will nearly always have the rich guy absolutely dominating the middle class / poor guy due to connections and being able to pitch/get funding from tons of places. There were dozens of facebooks before facebook but somehow the rich kid that went to harvard is the one that wins out with its only differentiation being that it was exclusive for ivy leagues in the beginning.

youtu.be/II76GoslcGs

this interview gave me hiv

this is literally not true

t. film school graduate with actual talent but poor parents and terrible networking skills

I looked up his story and it says he worked a lot as a teenager and didn't go to college, then he used all his saved money plus crowdfunding to make his first film for $150,000. I wouldn't call that rich exactly.

His dad is an actor

How can he be gay and have mommy issues? Shouldn't he have daddy issues instead like all gays do?

His first film is called I Killed My Mother
Another one is called Mommy

Would you say film school is worth it? I always wonder why so many people go to film school when many of the directors they're trying to live up to never went.

Is this the guy who did that African movie with Idris?

No, that's Barry Tokugawa who also directed True Detective season 1

Tom at the farm is actually nice thriller.

I want to know the answer too

in film school did you learn more "this is how to work a camera. this is what a scene is. this is called a cut" or did you get to learn artistic techniques and analyze film and other stuff that isn't a complete waste of time

The parent's are not rich or connected enough to make it happen.
Money let's you get away with anything as long as you stay in the shadows.

>combination of multiple kinds of art
>lowest form
only when its not used to its potential.

technically I went to the film dept at an art school. the same one david lynch's son went to. so it wasn't the same as the traditional film school lot like you find in the departments at USC or maybe NYU, etc

If you want to learn what a cut is and how a camera works, go to traditional film school. not a knock on it, I know exceptionally talented people who did it, but on average it seems they teach how to make movies per industry standards, not necessarily how to create great movies (can't teach talent, all that)

I would say if you want to make art, to make cinema, to work on getting talent, and don't care about the heavy financial burden (and assuming your dad didn't create twin peaks), you need to learn how to formulate a work of art. for that, you go to an art school that focuses on painting and bullshit conceptual and contemporary fine art. you will learn that medium is largely irrelevant, and if your ambition is to direct, then your vision is the only thing that matters. often these schools will have film concentrations as well, or will allow you to dabble in cinema

given both of these ideas, and the idea that your dad isn't in the industry already, the most practically useful thing you can get out of film or art school is the opportunity to network. and if you're on Sup Forums, you're probably shitty at that in the first place, like me.

so don't go to college -- if you have to go into debt, use it to make a bunch of short films instead.

that's my 0.0000013531 BTC

I didn't mean lowest form in terms of artistic merit, I meant in terms of its appeal. I'm drunk so bear with me.

Its potential in both quality and distribution is linked to wealth and connections. Sure the distribution part has gotten a lot better in the 21st century. But rights, studio time, equipment, all that costs money and pull and then it's only really viewed by lower middle class and below.
It's the lowest form in that it's the most easily digestible and cheapest (for the viewers) to consume. Sure, movies can be great but the best movies have limited showings in theaters and aren't widely distributed. Not to mention the hoops you have to go through to have it released. And that's where studios come in and cloud visions and pump out garbage content based on what they think will earn their money back.

There are exceptions, sure, but not enough for it to change the industry nor enough to make anyone with better options for consumption of art to shuffle down to their nearest art theater showing of Columbus.

Hate this guy. He's the anti Vincent Galo.

i mean i like it you bitch

> I only started watching films when I was 15
What the fuck was he doing before? Was he tied up in the basement? How can you only start watching films when you're 15 years old?

he was watching flicks and movies

Dolan – the Orson Welles of our generation. You may not like it, but this is what the future of cinema looks like.

bieber became the woke tho

>How does he do it bros?

He's a faggot and probably gay.

What's the difference

When your family is rich and connected in the movie business 150k gets you a lot faster than if you're a nobody with 250k

Other actors want to work with you. You get tips and info from experienced directors and industry figures who you wouldn't otherwise have access to outside of registering to top film schools. In every business, connections are everything. School is what you pay for when you have none and want to get a peak at what having connections can teach you, and hopefully make some connections with up and comers

So when did he start watching kino?

I live in LA, I happen to know a bunch of film school people. They usually come from rich families.

Most producers literally fall forward just by being on the lot. It's the most braindead job in the world and these guy are paid out the ass.

If you want a job in the industry, show up and put in your time and you'll end up somewhere nice.

Start producing content. If you can figure out how to get people to watch your content, you'll end up somewhere nice.

Are you the guy who spent 4,000 on his movie?

No. I don't work in the industry. I just come across people all the time.

That's... true I guess, but it's not like Gallo is anything special.

nu-Sup Forums likes contrarians and Gallo is the ultimate movie contrarian.

hm?

dont call me bro you fucking tool

one of the few auters of our generation

why is he so smug bros?

His rich parents might've gotten him the chance to make a movie, but he could've made a shitty movie. He made 5 good movies in 5 years, and they weren't half-assed or unambitious either. If someone is doing quality work I really don't care how they got there. Nepotism is only obnoxious when a job's going to an incompetent or unqualified person.

You say you've got "actual talent," but have you actually finished feature-length scripts and TRIED to get them made? Like really tried?

he wasn't rich
quebec is like europe with a large subsidized domestic film industry, and his dad was connected in that,
the government of quebec gave him 400k to make his first feature

it's similar how villeneuve got his start too

>the government of quebec gave him 400k to make his first feature
I would have to look it up again, but I'm pretty sure he has openly said that his first feature was funded by his family. I don't really think there's anything wrong with that.

auteurs*

I love him. He's like the buzzfeed of artistic movies.

>When a rich mini-dwarf fag from Quebec...

> In December 2008, SODEC gave him a $400,000 subsidy. In all, the film cost around $800,000 CAD.

source is in french so don't know if you want it

there's other things like tax rebates so if you invest in making a film, you're almost guaranteed to break even

the Chad Vincent Gallo, the virgin Xavier Dolan

just by being gay in montreal, dolan probably has had more sexual partners, gays mess up the chad/virgin dialectic

Would love to know what Prince Vince think about Dolan.

Fucking fags doesn't count. I bet the virgin has never fucked a woman.

>implying Mommy was not top tier

funny thing is there's hundreds of actresses at cannes who would fuck him though, it's not lack of opportunity, just interest

He's such a virgin that he can't even get hard when top tier hotties are throwing themselves at him. LMAO.

He's a 169 cm manlet.

That faggot never worked. He was surrounded by famous French-Canadian people and when he wrote his first (shitty) screenplay, some of the people he knew managed to get his film to be produced. He was young so he was labeled as a prodigy - he isn’t, his cinematic style is a copy of Gus Van Sant’s - and he is openly gay so he was seen as “brave”.

That film was shit. Dolan’s idea of intimacy is doing lots of close-ups with shallow depth of field. His only decent work is “Mommy” and it’s the only film of his which doesn’t revolve around his homosexuality.

>That film was shit.

not really, it's great

>J’ai tué ma mère is good

Please.
That film was like an extended film school project. It was naive, badly written and utterly pretentious.

Everything, from the obnoxious acting (how could cast great actors like Cassel and Cotillard and fuck it up so bad?) to the terrible dialogue felt inauthentic. The claustrophobic directing style didn’t help and once again, Dolan displayed a total lack of sensibility when he tried to film “authentic” moments like that dance Léa Seydoux et Natalie Baye performed which is just a (self) plagiarized version of his “Celine Dion” scene in Mommy. Also, Sorrentino’s use of pop music is clearly more remarkable than his.

nah, it's great desu, maybe you didn't understand the movie

say what you want, but all his movies except the last one are kinos.

suck my dick you fucking retard

that's just rude, you need to calm down

Not enough spolosions for you b?

À Steven Seagal movie would be better than this overrated shit. Take Dolan’s dick off your ass.

SPBP