Has one character derailed the trajectory of a show so much?

Has one character derailed the trajectory of a show so much?

Derail is a strong word, especially since Jack would have inevitably fixed his shit up anyway.

Jack is gonna die.
Ashi will take the reigns.
The show will now be Samurai Ashi.

meh

But it is now the Jack and Ashi show.

Its an accumulation of many things, Ashi is just the most obvious

What other things? I'm curious.

she plays a key role in the story though. whats up with all the retards who cant see past "ships"?
jack will have to chose at the end to either stay with ashi or go save his past.

people dont notice tis the end of samurai jack. it has to be a happy ending.

jack, ashi, aku's death, going back to the past and actualy having closure are pretty much coming not mattering what tumblr, SJW and self inserts want of it

I fail to see the problem.

There's no way he goes back to the past. That would literally undo the whole series.

>Name of show is Samurai Jack

>A Mary Sue is now getting more attention than him.

The underwhelming payoff with Honda, the recharacterization of Aku, the brevity of the scotsman's appearance despite implied importance, the insular format of most of the episodes despite the final season being about resolving the overarching plot, the continued absence of the guardian, and some minor consistency/quality issues throughout the season (why was demongo even alive? Jack's magic reappearing and vanishing boots, etc)

The entire premise of the series is undoing the whole series.

Why isthis suddenly a tumblr issue? Sup Forums has been having problems with this season since episode four

Then why introduce Ashi in the first place?

Jack will stand in front of the time portal, then realize that if he goes back Ashi will no longer exist, then he'll decide not to go, they'll kiss and Ashi will push him into the portal.

Then in the new timeline Jack will somehow meet counterpart Ashi Jojo Part 6 style.

Replace Honda with Jack's depression and mental struggles and and I full heartily agree. I think the Guardian is coming back in episode 9 though.

Starlight Glimmer.

>implying

Best love story of the century.

That just happens when a creator makes a finale for a show he didn't care enough about, at this point I'm willing to believe Genndy did it for Ashi, not for the fans.

>Forgetting his purpose and letting the people of Past Earth suffer for centuries so he can pound some monkey pussy

How?

I think the mental issues wre resolved reasonably well. They persisted for like 5 episodes, didn't simply vanish after his triumph over the daughters, and was directly confronted during his spirit journey thing. I think it could've beena little better, but I wouldn't call it a problem. It was basically Mad Jack 2.0. Would've been nice if they acknowledged/conneted the similarities too.

But Honda, Honda was foreshadowed for half the season and was confronted and beaten in under ten minutes with absolutely no explanation to what it even was. We can only guess it was the spirits of Jack's ancestors, but why were they working against him? How were they even able to manifest? Wouldn't his own blood wanting him to seppuku have an even more complex effect on the nature of his quest? Why not explore this instead of going on more episodic adventures/build up the Ashi romance? It's just a complete waste of potential

> Since Jack would have inevitably fixed his shit up anyway

No he probably still would have killed himself when the burden of his most recent fuck up made the spectre samurai appear again.

You didnt feel any emotion with that kidd my dude. The timing was love movie tier and that tension for this and the past like 4 episodes was on point as shit.

Shes smart, pretty, and distressed like jack.

Its the perfect fit.

Fucking early post
Was going to add that there's no way Jack would fail to return to the past. Right?

Even if the guardian comes back last minute, the story ignored his existence for the vast bulk of the season. Jack didn't even think about him for 50 fucking years. It's just weird.

This. At least she is not those women from Regular show, Adventure, or mediocre harem/comedy animes.

>the mary sue is sucking his cock
>fujoshits, permavirgins are now flipping about actual social development on their show

tumblr also has been flippin over the cis-relationship and now the end of "master/apprentice" relationship

I still think she was a pointless addition. All Ashi did to get Jack back on track with fixing himself was say "No, you actually did change things in the future!"

We could've just had a shorter timeskip of 20 - 30 years with older characters that Jack has already met showing up to give him that same kind of support.

If you need a romantic interest, just have a flashback to that young girl that Jack met as a kid and have them meet in the epilogue of Episode 10 with the implication they'll have a relationship.

Honestly Ashi kinda feels like that
>our hands touch hahaha
>so awkward x3
>haha she doesn't know she's naked lol so cute

>not uniting the masculine and feminine aspects of god to slay the dragon and birth order from chaos
>not realizing that not having children and creating the world to come is an idea of fools
>not rescuing your father from the underworld
>not realizing that the nuclear family unit is the only chance we have against postmodernist collectivism

Sort yourself out OP

My problem with Honda is that he feels redundant in light of Jack's inner demon, and that the manifestation of that demon feels forced and inconsistent. At first, it's just telling him to kill himself and urging him to die before it does a complete 180 and tries to compel him to murder an old man to finish the quest at any cost.

The inner demon just reflects Jack's negativity, so it makes sense it would shift objectives as Jack's goals shift. Whule his ancestors were literally trying the make him kill himself the demon represented that guilt, and afterwards when he has some hope but faces a roadblock it represented his frustration. From that angle Honda wouldn't be redundant, him and blue jack would just be two different issues compounding on eah other. The problem is just that Honda gets abolutely no elaboration so he seems shallow next to an issue that's only supposed to compliment him

i can guarantee if samurai jack continued it's original run and he met a girl then yall wouldnt give a shit

you're nostalgia goggles and rose tinted glasses are becoming one Sup Forums

>you're nostalgia goggles and rose tinted glasses
Those two things have always been the same

>the old trajectory is Jack wants to die because he's already failed
Boy I sure hate that Ashi has given him new hope in life.

because she's literally a meme character, taylor made for reddit

Considering back in the day Genndy could actually write a story to save his fucking life I would agree, shame that that Genndy is dead now.

Jack returns to the past with Ashi to deliver the final blow to Aku.

Turns out the entire series was just Aku sending Jack back to the past to fetch Ashi. The moment he focuses on Aku, Ashi stabs him in the back as he lands on the floor at Aku's feet. Aku laughs as from this point forward, there is no one who can stop his reign of evil. He rules throughout time, untouchable.

You have no idea what a mary sue is. Ashi is wrong and doesn't even grasp simple concepts at time. Hell, she didn't figure out the indecipherable device that Jack was trying to get working in the last episode.

>back in the day Genndy could write a story
>original SJ became non-cohesive after the pilot

>mary sue
>soon to be literal dick-holster for jack

society has really gotten to you Sup Forums, can't even have a female character on screen without someone REEEEEEing

The episodic stories in SJ were better written than Season 5. Most of the time.

Symbionic titan managed it

Your grammar is so awful that I can't figure our what they hell you're saying.

Could you retype that up and submit a response again? Type clearing and reread what you have written please.

I sure loved 4 seasons of filler and status quo!

ST is hardly back in the day user

But the original had some sort of plot that was moving foward, Jack meets character and he might or may not see them again, nonetheless Jack learns and remembers yet moves on. That's not status quo.

You have no Idea what the word filler means, fuck back off to Sup Forums.

yes

Y'all realize that Jack is Jack's father and Ashi is Jack's mother.

user, this has nothing to do with time or even taking issue in a relationship being made. The plot is juggling two plots about broken characters getting over deep issues, Aku still being out there and causing problems, finding a time portal, a suicide ghost, hallucinations, etc.

And then suddenly smash-cut to them making out after a whole episode of fluff.

The problem isn't that the romance exists. It's the pacing. For me, it's also the fact that it feels like 50 years passed just so that Ashi was necessary to get Jack out of his funk. If it was a smaller time-skip, older characters could have been there for Jack rather than shoehorning in a romantic interest.

These are good ideas user

Which makes genndy's decline all the more tragic

Do you remember the episode The Aku Infection? In that episode, Jack has his body taken over by Aku from the inside out and his soul is being destroyed.

In his weakest moment, symbolized by his mental image of himself being a child, his parents come to him and remind him of all of the good that happened in the future, all of the people he managed to inspire, etc. From there, he grows into his adult self again and takes up a sword and purges the influence of Aku rooted within his soul.

That scene didn't need Ashi and it was just fine.

That was before he lost his sword and all the portals were destroyed, and before he had been hunted relentlessly for 50 fucking years.

The man needed 100cc's of gf yesterday.

Doesn't anyone else find it odd that Jack and Ashi are both East-Asian? Like 50+ years pass and the only other Japanese looking people we ever see in the show are Jack and the 7 daughters of Aku. Like it just seems like a massive co-incidence.

What if

dare I say it

father/daughter fags are more right than they thought?

Or what if Genndy's message is that people should stick to their own kind?

There was also the Japanese family in the episode where Jack needed new shoes. And the family that lived in the haunted house

Jack's Sandals

Literally a family living in a traditional japanese home.

>50+ years
Learn to read. Talking about current season.

It didn't have to be this way. Ashi could have just been a healthy relationship that helped Jack back from the brink.

It's silly to me that people try to rationalize Ashi not caring about her sisters because "Death is failure" and she was conditioned to not feel empathy for them, but then turn around and praise Jashi becoming a thing even though she was raised from birth to hate him. Which is it? Is her conditioning overwriting her human traits or not?

Really, I would've preferred Ashi to learn from Jack, help him recover, and then go and stop her mother from making more Daughters of Aku, raising the next batch to have better lifestyles than her sisters did while Jack goes back to the past.

I just dont get why this was considered necessary. So many years after Jack was unceremoniously put on hiatus for years and the this was considered a priority that needed to be set up. So much time devoted to a rather plain and perfunctory love interest. Who the hell was ever watching Samurai Jack during its run time and thought "You know what this show is missing, you know what Jack lacks as a character? Romance shit".

We haven't seen an episode explore the people of this time, this season. So your argument holds no water.

Also I've seen you post this shit on multiple threads. It's almost as if you're not even trying with that bait.

The logic behind it is "Jack has been in suffering limbo for years while he was cancelled so lets reward him in the show with some pussy to make things right"

This.

Go back to tumblr, you salty virgin. Fuck Ashi for ruining the season.

It's a fucking cartoon, jackass. It actually had meaningful episodes where Jack wasn't fighting off his weak ass adversaries with no struggle and fucking sluts. The show fell off after ep 3 anyway.

>if only the show went in a direction that would have made ME right
>This show is bad because it did not do what I wanted it to
>and instead became exactly what people have been telling me would happen for 4 weeks >but I did not want to believe them because I am an autistic retard please kill me

>this show didn't pander to me so this show is bad

So you didn't read what I wrote and can't have a civilized discussion without making a strawman and hurling insults is what you're saying.

Why are Ashifags always on the defensive? Is it because you can't defend how shallow and underdeveloped Ashi's character and her relationship with Jack is?

I have not seen one argument for why Jashi is good, only baseless accusations of misogyny. Sup Forums really is retarded.

>defensive
offensive*

Why can't he just bring Ashi back through the portal

Would the Guardian allow that?

In a month or so, you'll be in the minority. The common opinion will be S5 was a disappointment. Enjoy being able to dismiss legit criticism while you can.

The relationship angle has been developing for weeks you just didn't like the idea of it the entire time, that is what you're complaining about. You have been searching for rational to complain on and have ignored the explanations to the contrary, citing people who disagree with you and insult you for it as "not reading" or "being juvenile", you are being obstinate and stubborn to prevent yourself from enjoying the show just to be autistic. If my insults are getting old, so is your debasement of all other opinions. You faggots are doing exactly what you're complaining about other people doing because you can't take being wrong and will continue to be wrong. Stay mad faggot don't watch next week

1. This is the first time I've said something on the matter.

2. At no point did I say that I disliked the show. You're lumping any criticism by other Anons all together and projecting that at what I said.

The only thing I said is that I would've preferred if the relationship remained platonic. Did it become romantic? Yes. Am I happy about it? I could leave it. Am I insulting the show and saying 'not muh Samurai Jack'? Not at all.

There's no need to become defensive about someone stating what direction they wanted the show to take. Genndy's vision, at the end of the day, is the one that moves the show forward and I can accept that and still appreciate the show's merits, even if I don't always agree with every part of it.

This is the truth. Once the show is over and the hype is gone, everyone is gonna reflect on what happened and didn't happen.

Another fact is that the guys defending this shit just don't want to admit their favorite cartoon became such a disappointment because of samurai sex and cheap nostalgia.

No Aku, no Scotsman, and no fucking amazing Jack fights fucked this season badly when it was so easy to implement said scenes.

>Cheap nostalgia
>But i want more Scotsman

>Cheap nostalgia
>But i want more Scotsman
>The guy who is the only character that wants to move the plot along

The plot is about killing Aku and getting back to the past, not an entire episode of awkward romance. I understand having some romance because Gendy wanted to express his childhood fantasies but with only 10 eps, why would you waste them on that? Especially when the series started out so dark appealing.

Yeah, that sounds exactly like how this cartoon show would have otherwise ended.

Come on, man, without Ashi they would have resolved that another way. It's all contrived.

not since poochie! lol

"when are they going to get to the fireworks factory?!"

In the past decade, every time there has been some sort of "couple confirmation" in a western series, the gay/lesbian community have flipped their shit over it.
I'm asking this seriously, what the fuck is wrong with homo-shippers?

What's the problem I don't see it.

Being straight is being anti-gay in today's politically correct world, and that's offensive.

So how do you explain the events of episode 7? You know what I'm talking about.

It would have been handled better, and involved an actually decent female love interest. Stop with this defense of a shit character just because she's female and you love masturbating to her.

not defending the character, just pointing out Sup Forums inconsistencies in opinions over F I C T I O N A L C A R T O O N S

This

I keep seeing side profiles of her head. Her nose/mouth is further forward.
Shouldnt that angle look like this?

Damn, I forgot about the shit storm he caused. Good one.

Congrats, you made her look like a fucking baboon.

I just don't know how after 13 years of time to prep and construct a coherent story, you fuck up this badly on all levels.

And that the fanbase is infinitely retarded and unable to realize this because of BTFOing shitty websites and a forced fanservice. Now Samurai Jack looks like a terrible Berserk spoof. There's no goddamn hope.

A character introduced by the original creator cannot be a mary sue, period. especially if the central character is even more OP

Jack was stuck in an endless, hopeless stalemate that could have gone on for centuries more.
She is the catalyst that broke him out of his funk.
If anything she re-railed him.

I haven't seen one argument why Jashi is bad, only baseless autism.