Cohesive universe going on for 17 movies by the end of the year

>cohesive universe going on for 17 movies by the end of the year
>genuinely good actors and great moments
>some movies are good, some meh and some bad, but as a whole its entertaining and faithful adaptations
>next to no scandals behind the scenes
I honestly don't think the MCU gets enough credit and I say this as an oldfag that remembers what things were like long before Spider-man made hollywood buy every comic property out there.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=momjDZ4SWYU
youtube.com/watch?v=D1fOJ8sghp4
youtube.com/watch?v=4729gmRmfHo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

15/17 villains dead.

shit universe.

It has grossed 11 billion so far. It is probably going to be on 13 billion by the end of the year.

I agree. It's not perfect. The flaws are well, even overly discussed and analyzed. But the amount of shit they got right or close to right is incredibly impressive. Granted, that could be because the bar was so very low with most super hero films being treated as jokes, even by the people who made them, before the MCU got rolling, but eh.

>genuinely good
No
go back to Sup Forums.

We aren't allowed to be excited for Marvel Movies or acknowledge they were great after they come out, because if the MCU produces any less than a Stanley Kubrick art house masterpiece its shit whereas the DCEU can make turd after turd but we're all expected to be unconditionally hyped for every new film that comes out.

If a new Marvel Movie isn't an “Avengers tier” pop culture defining revolution then they claim it was a dud, that "People aren't even talking about it", that "I don't even know anyone who cares Marvel movies anymore", that "the bubble has burst." Chastising it with increasingly brazen parroted criticisms that dubiously never go into any more specifics or detail than what can be gleamed from the trailers.

All those box office bucks and records broken don't matter either, because making more money isn’t proof of quality (“muh bayformers”), but when it comes to DC, "hey look at all the money BVS and SS made despite everyone claiming they were shit!"

And all the pop culture adoration for the MCU with everyone on social media, TV and the streets singing its praises doesn't count because popularity isn’t proof of quality (“muh ad populum”), but, by god, you better believe there’s a sales chart waiting to be posted at a moment’s notice detailing Halloween Costume, Hot Topic and Toy sales should anyone doubt the DCEU’s popularity.

As for those critic reviews and movie aggregate sites, don’t bother bringing them up because “Disney bribes everyone with Mouse Money” and Rotten Tomatoes (despite being owned by Warner Bros) is clear proof of this, but at least we can still count on the Oscars (with judges who don't even watch most the movies awarded) to recognize true greatness.

And should you ever wear one of these trolls down into admitting or even implying the MCU is better than the DCEU that doesn’t mean jack squat because DC still has better Batman cartoons, better Batman comics, better Batman video games and better Batman Lego sets than Marvel.

You could make an existing Masters of Evil with Zemo, Justin Hammer, Abomination, Loki, Klaw, Mordo and Red Skull (they could so easily bring him back).

Not to mention more traditional characters like Enchantress or Radioactive Man could easily be introduced at any time.

Sup Forums is literally in a meltdown right now over Red Letter Media loving GotG2

Cry more, faggot.

Hammer is still alive
Loki is still alive
Red Skull is presumably still alive
Thanos is still alive
Ultron might still be alive given that we didn't actually see Vision kill him like we did the others (though probably not)
Nebula is still alive, though she's turned good I suppose
Abomination is still alive
Mandarin is still alive
Trevor Slattery is still alive
Zemo is still alive
Tony Stark is still alive
Zola is probably still alive somewhere

If we count the Netflix shows
Madam Crane is still alive
Wilson Fisk is still alive
Mariah is still alive
Shades is still alive
Diamondback is still alive (unfortunately)
Bakuto is still alive

>I honestly don't think the MCU gets enough credit and I say this as an oldfag that remembers what things were like long before Spider-man made hollywood buy every comic property out there.

It actually does. Either way, its the only current Marvel Universe worth investing in.

I'm just amazed we got to see a live action Ego the living planet, played by Kurt Russel even.

Too bad villains are utter shit.

>17 meme movies
>each one taylor made for reddit

MCU is literally the worst thing to happen to cinema, if you like these films dive into the nearest trashcan head first, your garbage

We now live in a world where fucking Groot and Rocket Raccoon are two of the most well known comic book characters on the planet.

I mean They're not quite Superman/Batman/Spider-Man levels yet, but even normies know them.

>literally the worst thing to happen to cinema
Even if I assume this was comedic exaggeration it's still laughably wrong.

and yet there isn't a single person in the world that wouldn't pick them a thousand times over your shitty DC movies

capeshit has destroyed cinema, if you disagree you are literally, figuratively, objectively & subjectively wrong

Their biggest influence on cinema has been the over abundance of film studios trying to take a chance by green lighting adaptations of books and comics that might not have necessarily been made originally in the hopes of pulling an Avengers.

If you think that films based on prior works are a bad thing, bear in mind that the Godfather was a book first.

>MCU sucks
>W-well they are better than the DC movies

Why do Marlel fans and DC-EW fans think when you shit talk one of them, you're a fan of the other. There do exist people who hate superhero movies as a whole.

>Tony Stark
>Villain

>but as a whole its entertaining and faithful adaptations

No. Just no. It's not faithful having Stark make Ultron because some director fucked up the scheduling. Or now we have all these writers and directors and producers just doing their own damn thing and taking the most shallow aspect of something they saw on the cover of a comic.

Marvel is all style and no substance at this point.

Because some spergs actually buy into the company wars thing.

I mean when you think about it, Marvel vs. DC was the original nerd debate before Kirk vs. Picard or Star Wars vs. Star Trek or Nintendo vs Sega Marvel, Picard, Wars and Nintendo for me btw but the laughable thing was that Stan Lee started it as a tongue in cheek joke on the letters pages. He played fucking golf with the DC guys at the weekend. But here we are nearly 60 years later and people have started taking it seriously, as though there's a side you need to pick and champion.

Company wars are the perfect display of the autism of nerds.

I was just shitposting when I put him in there, don't worry.

Though he does have some shady actions under his belt

give me one good reason to keep every other villain alive

>Hammer is still alive
Yep.
>Loki is still alive
Yep.
>Red Skull is presumably still alive
Probably.
>Thanos is still alive
Obviously.
>Ultron might still be alive given that we didn't actually see Vision kill him like we did the others (though probably not)
He likely did. Vision was full on knowing that Ultron wasn't going to change and stop and that he needed to be put down.
>Nebula is still alive, though she's turned good I suppose
At least not as bad.
>Abomination is still alive
Yep.
>Mandarin is still alive
Yep.
>Trevor Slattery is still alive
I don't think he really counts as a villain. Just and ignorant pawn.
>Zemo is still alive
Yep.
>Tony Stark is still alive
Oh, you.
>Zola is probably still alive somewhere
Doubtful. If Zola could actually leave that bunker, I don't think he would've even been in there for Rogers and Romanoff to find him. Zola is probably dead. Though it'd be cool for him to pop up in like a flashback of maybe Fury or Pym's. His body did die in the 70s after all.

>Mandarin is still alive
>Implying that one shot actually means something for the MCU as a whole

That was just damage control for cry babies that coudnt stand they un interesting villain was actually a fabrication in the MCU.

>15/17 villains dead

No one is dead. literally no villain.

Kaecilius and Dormammu are still both very much alive and are now actually more powerful.

Yeah I forgot them. Although Kaecilius appeared to be turned into a nameless one, so yeah he's alive if you can call that living...

I didn't even see that one shot and even I can tell Killian was never the Mandarin. He was capitalizing on only the name of an already existing terrorist to cover up his Extremis fuck ups.

It'd be retarded to think that he was behind an entire insurgent movement that until the events of IM1, had absolutely nothing to do with Stark.

As of now I think Ultron was killed by Vision. But it would be extremely easy to bring him back with the explanation of having planted a backup or something deep in the net. Ultron excels at not dying.

They need to use their villains again though. That's what makes franchises have such staying power. Seeing Darth Vader, voldemort, magneto and so on over and over again. Loki is the only reoccuring villain in the MCU and that's pitiful considering the amount of opportunity marvel has had.

Actually I'd say what's made the MCU have such staying power is their heroes, not their villains.

They rely on having charismatic likeable heroes that you enjoy seeing on screen to cover up how flimsy their plots sometimes are.

Even Thor 2 which is the worst of the bunch gets by because Hemsworth is damn likeable as Thor.

I want them to use some of their villains again, but Marvels success is very much in their heroes, not villains.

>They need to use their villains again though.

Agreed. I'd like more reoccurring badguys. I wasn't exactly thrilled they killed off Rumlow and they probably could've come up with an excuse to bring back Hammer by now.

But the ones that are dead are dead and there's nothing we can do about it except just laying back and taking it.

Also, forgot about Batroc.

>faithful adaptations
stopped reading there

I honestly never thought I'd live to see the day where a GotG movie was made, and in it, the death of Yondu Fucking Udonta moved me more and hit me harder than the death of Superman.

The fuck kinda time line is this?

overrated shit

The kind where WB is desperate for another Harry Potter level success and a new CEO greenlit way too much shit at once to not look like a weak leader.

MoS literally exists out of fear of a lawsuit, Snyder being WB's capeshit guy and Goyer having an old script laying around. The perfect storm of dogshit.

time for you to end it

you just have shit taste

Along with most people except in Sup Forums echochambers apparently

Why would such people be on this fucking board?

Try a little bit harder.
You're my kind of b8.

Just like your first comic, then.

>Ultron might still alive
>Adam Warlock is being gestated
>Nova Corps/Xandar is all but left in ruins from the first GoTG and GoTG Vol. 2 leading for the possibility of Richard Rider Nova.

FUCK
Annihilation WHEN?

I've noticed that Sup Forums has strongly increased their knowledge of comic books in general.

I think they're starting to come over here now that Sup Forums is basically Sup Forums 2.0 and half the threads are about comic book movies anyway.

Basically, Sup Forums is tsundere for Sup Forums.

[Spoiler]
>Ego isn't a celestial
>Quill was never Ego's son
>Yondu was never a space-hillbilly
>Starhawk was never an Earthling
>Adam was created by the High Evolutionary, not whatever the fuck the Sovereign are.
[/spoiler]

Go on.

>I've noticed that Sup Forums has strongly increased their knowledge of comic books in general.
Stop talking about a board as if it's one person.

The people who post in comic book movie threads on Sup Forums are people who already have some interest in the genre, everyone else doesn't give a shit.

You know what? In hindsight now that we have had both BvS and SS I kind of feel like I was too harsh on MoS.

It had a few decent quotes from the comics, and the first flight scene is legitimately fantastic, and quintessentially Superman

Compare that to BvS where the only universally praised scene is the one where Batman goes full HAM on some fools, but as legit fucking cool as that is, there are plenty of other films with fantastic fight sequences in them. Hell, The Raid had such a good one, that every single Marvel Netflix show has to have a copy of it.

Yeah he kills Zod at the end, and thats contentious as hell, but of the three DCEU movies we currently have? MoS is FAR superior in how tight its focus is, in how self aware it is (because BvS clearly thinks its on some smart as fuck philosophical bent, with it's Philosophy fresher-tier banging on about gods and man) and how confident it is as it's own film (unlike Suicide Squad that clearly so desperately wants to be Guardians of the Galaxy)

>MoS is FAR superior in how tight its focus is
It depresses me how true this is.

I wonder how big of a mess WW is going to be. Four different scripts, all written by hacks or people like Geoff Johns and Allen Heinberg who clearly have shown they don't understand the character.

Plus, you know, Gadot.

>(because BvS clearly thinks its on some smart as fuck philosophical bent, with it's Philosophy fresher-tier banging on about gods and man)

You do know that's the low hanging fruit in the movie as far is themes go, right?

We see a Nova ship during one of the jumps or when the blue goo starts to grow, so Xandar seems to be rebuilding pretty nicely.

>Annihilation WHEN?

Probably after Infinity Gauntlet, and then mix it with the Infinity storyline with the Avengers going to space.

I mean, yeah, there's a reason why a lot of people who are upset at DCEU as a whole think that MoS was pretty good for what it was worth, while BvS and Skwad were downright going from silly to damn terrible.

Why did they have to give the main movies to someone as bad as Snyder?

>autism
>autism
>megafuckingautism
Y'all one of those WHY IS ULTRON QUIPPING REEEEEEE guys aintcha

Have you even read their comics? Have you ever given half a shit about these characters? Is Wiki trivia all they mean to you?

And yet it's the one they keep returning to within the film.

> Comparing the MCU with the comics division is amazing.

> MCU movies, for all their individual flaws, feel like Marvel. At their best they remind you of the Silver Age tonally, but with some added nuance.

> The comics don't feel like Marvel, they mostly feel like fanfics written by people who have never read comics.

I want Wonder Woman to be good so fucking badly. She's a criminally underrated character, and considering her pop culture prevalence, criminally underused.

I remain hopeful without any reason to be.

>I've noticed that Sup Forums has strongly increased their knowledge of comic books in general.
If is anything to go by that's still laughable

This. The amount of stuff they have done right amazes me.

Feige is a great man.

This. MCU feels silver age as fuck.

The DCEU has that very clear and present post TDKR funk about it, where everything has to be super serious because super serious is adult.

You know what I mean. When after TDKR dropped and everyone was scrambling to get on that wavelength without understanding what was going on to create it?

I disagree. I thought BvS was aot better than MoS. Amd I don't hate MoS, I liked about two thirds of it but the last act was just one long, not all that interesting action scene. Also didn't think that version of Zod was a good villain. I did like all of the stuff about Clark walking the earth and looking for a place where he belongs. Unlike many people I don't hate Cavill's Superman

I like BvS a lot more because it has a more interesting, more character driven story and a better grasp on the themes behind it.

No, it isn't.

He's right about the movies not being faithful, though.

Let me guess, you enjoyed it because it you thought it was a smart movie for smart people such are yourself, and anybody who didn't like it is a brainlet pleb.

Why you got to act like a cunt because the guy likes BvS better?

you have more reasons NOT to be

like these
youtube.com/watch?v=momjDZ4SWYU

youtube.com/watch?v=D1fOJ8sghp4

youtube.com/watch?v=4729gmRmfHo

Zod was actually kind of interesting to me. He was bred for the sole purpose of protecting Krypton, no matter what the cost. He didn't want to terraform Earth to be a dick, he needed a new Krypton because that was literally the entire reason he was born. And then Supes takes that away from him.

That plays in very well with the whole nature vs nurture thing they had going on with Superman.

Luthor seemed to want Batman and Superman to fight because daddy was mean and because something something man vs god something something.

Zod had a very clear reason for what he was doing, and an understandable one. It might not be the course of action you might take, but you can understand why he'd want to. Luthor on the other hand? Nah. I can't say I'd do what he did, nor see why he was so adamant about doing it.

And these are bad, because?
Exept Gadot tho.

The guy thinks BvS was good, why am I not allowed to make fun of it?

It's only thing people ever mention when they say they like BvS. They think it's deep and make fun of everyone else who didn't like it.

And the only thing people ever mention when they say they hated BvS they present memes as arguments.

It made an attempt to approach its characters from an unusual angle and explore some things about them that other live action movies with them didn't. I respect it a lot for portraying Batma as an antagonist for most of the movie, for commiting to a very controversial version of Lex Luthor and for bringing a sense of closure to Supermans arc that MoS kinda failed to do.

I did appreciate some of the subtext and I will say there was a bunch of stuff many critics either missed or very clearly misunderstood which I found very obvious when I read some of the reviews.

The alley scene actually looks quite good. I know Sup Forums is going to fucking hate it though because "muh feminist pandering" as though a film about one of feminism's biggest icons isn't going to include her saving a man.

liking BvS is an affront to nature

anyone who says they do should be met with nothing but scorn and ridicule

>Luthor seemed to want Batman and Superman to fight because daddy was mean and because something something man vs god something something.

Lex wanted to destroy Superman because he was envious of his gift and popularity. So he wanted to prove to everyone that Superman was no god or even hero. Batman was just a tool.

> death of Yondu Fucking Udonta moved me more and hit me harder than the death of Superman.

Really? I think Supes went through a lot more shit and he sacrificed himseflt to save the day despite everyting.

Also music was perfect.

I don't see how anyone can respect that version of Lex Luthor. He was basically Max Landis.

Now I thought he was intriguing as a character, but he felt much more like Siavana to me than Luthor. He was a fucking shit Lex Luthor.

Superman's arc in MoS was: Who am I? Where am I from? Am I of Earth or Krypton? At the end he chose Earth over Krypton.

Should I be the hero everyone wants me to be? is a good place to then take the character, but his arc was very much resolved in MoS

I consider Zod as the best cape-movie villian ever. (yes even better than Joker tho TDK is not a cape-movie.)

>Luthor seemed to want Batman and Superman to fight because daddy was mean and because something something man vs god something something.
And people get butthurt when i say people did not understand BvS...

How come marvel comics are so bad while DC comics are so good but the movies are the other way around.

Yondu's funeral was a legitimately well executed scene though. I can understand many criticisms of GOTG2, but Yondu's funeral definitely isn't one of them, and I feel it's going to be one of the more memorable MCU scenes for me.

Superman's death on the other hand? Not so much.

And I say that as a COLOSSAL Supermanfag
My son is called Clark.

Admittedly primarily after my wife's grandfather, but I had a double reason for suggesting it

Superman's arc in MoS was trying to find more about why he was sent to Earth, ie: his purpose, and shake of the misunderstood idea that humanity would never accept him. He eventually learns that Krypton doesn't represent an answer to his existence or purpose, but rather Earth, and that humanity does accept him, since the government agrees to work with him to save the planet.

Fun fact: Marvel's empire is founded on realism. They caught on in the 60s because of real personalities, real places, real time etc..
When the comics became profitable, corporate interests crept in and change became a nuisance. By the 1990s we full sliding-timescale; everybody must stay the same forever even if they have to drag history itself behind them.
The MCU catches that original Mahvel magic because actors age and contracts expire and changes STICK. If GotG2 were a comic we'd already be placing bets on how long until Yondu comes back.

People are always shitposting about THE BUBBLE BURSTING but they're just too dynamic for that. They're not fucked until they start recasting beloved seasoned characters with suspiciously younger actors; that'll kneecap the realism and send everything tumbling into the abyss.

I will defend Lex but, yeah, you have to go along with the fact that many of his actions are a result of him obviously being a mentally unstable person.

The guy had obviously a problem with authority because of his daddy issues, he also had a problem with the very idea of aliens existing and being more powerful than humans. Like many aspects of the movie, also MoS, it ties into the depiction of Superman as an immigrant experiencing xenophobia. Lex's and to an extent also Bruce's whole thing was "Here's this foreigner bringing his war to our planet and expecting sympathy from us" which I found clever because the destruction of Metropolis from Bruce's perspective obviously meant to remind us of the 9/11 which was the catalyst for a lot of anti-immigrant sentiment in the west. But I digress.

Lex kinda represents the corporate elite causing people to resent immigrants immigrants. Also, there's that whole thing about power with Lex being a millenial nerd who grew up with the idea that knowledge is power and therefore resents the idea that someone else could be more powerful than him, just for bekng born that way.

What I'm saying is, there's more to what he does than just antagonizing Superman for no reason. He doesn't act rationally but his way of thinking does come through pretty clearly, even if he is kind of a nutcase.

I was being deliberately flippant, but go on, educate me on why Luthor in BvS is actually a really good villain.

Not even shitposting, please do.
I love reading peoples analyses of stuff I don't like but they did, it fascinates me and *sometimes* changes my mind.

>Adam was created by the High Evolutionary, not whatever the fuck the Sovereign are
Not the enclave
T. Casual

Sup Forums is in a Love/Hate relationship with RLM and Marvel movies

I hope the Marvel Studios get the Fantastic Four rights back and we get a decent MCU FF films

The MCU is the only thing Marvel has going for them

Sad. Marvel, especially in the Bronze Age, had some of my favorite comics, but now they're all shite.

Yondu's funural was one of the best scnes in Marvel for sure.
But i thought Clark and Superman's 2 funeral was done very good(better) as well.
>If you see his monument look around you.

>more character driven story
What character? Superman had 42 lines, most of them were incredibly short sentences. You had non-sensical sections where he says Superman was a dream of a farmer from Kansas.... when his dad told him to never help anyone and hide in fear.

Are you talking about Lex because his motivation was implied to be "Dad hit me, so powerful men are evil". Are you talking about Bruce because his reasons for murdering thugs is even less sensical within the scope of the DCEU when he has an entire rogues gallery that deserves death. Are you talking about Wonder Woman, because she does nothing.

This is a movie that literally stops multiple times to set up multiple movies and still ends its conflict 2/3rds of the way through to just have a mess of CGI monster kill Superman for film student level metaphors.

The whole civil war and sidelining the X-Men has kinda ruined Marvel Comics and it needs a COIE reboot to fix things

In a meaningful way that isn't dependent on arbitrary details?

The comics evolved naturally. 80% of the lore we consider so intricately woven now was just stupid wacky BUY THIS ISSUE shit that later writers grouped together. Adapting the comics panel-for-panel & balloon-for-balloon goes against the very creative mindset that made them so good in the first place. Or would you SERIOUSLY have preferred a fucking J'Son of Spartax movie?

You say that like it doesn't make them fucking fat stacks of cash

I forgot he was dead until they brought it up n Suicide Squad.

Classic Luthor dude. He was abused by his father, so he hated the ultimate father figure the GOD, either for not stopping his fatherbecause he was not all powerfull, or GOD did not cared because he is not all-good.
So when he sees Superman, he tries to prove that by making him kill Batman or letting his mother die.
He drops clues all over the movie
>Knowlege is power
>Biggest lie power can be innocent

His motivations made perfect sense, but i did not liked his twicthy acting tho. I hope 2 months in Arkham fizes that shit.

Lex serves as the representation of the mover-shakers of today. They're not the senior oil barons or yuppie Wall Street executives of yesterday, they're the scrawny Silicon Valley types that look like a a harmless small kid and according to their numale looks promise to better the world with their new age forward kind of thinking, this while hacking everyone's information and creating military-level death-ray type of shit.

Lex in the movie also showed how powerful moguls manipulate politics and the media to push whatever kind of narrative they want, making everybody believe all kinds of shit because due to the current collective paranoia and virtue signalling bullshit everyone believe whatever feeds their own bias to justify their hatred

And Lex in the movie is a scrawny that grew up believing that there's no good intentions in the world. Good will is something you use to look good, to fool people into buying your bullshit, to lower people's expectations of you. Because that's what his father taught him. Lex senior gave the company his son's name for publicity, used the supposedly great father-son relationship they had to garner investors sympathies, to look like a great Samaritan, when the fact was he was an abusive asshole. So Lex grew up doing the same. He used his new age hip bullshit to look like a great guy that cared for his employees, his clients, for the world, when in fact he only cared about having power.

That's what made him hate Superman so much. Superman after MoS, despite the destruction of Metropolis, was lauded as a hero. He was all around the world saving people. There were folks even regarding him as some sort of divinity. And Lex seeing all that seething thinking that Superman's fooling everyone very much like he did. That Superman was a big con-man.

So that's why he wanted to show that Superman was neither powerful, nor good, and also steal all his shit and secrets, because for Lex knowledge was always power.

>You had non-sensical sections where he says Superman was a dream of a farmer from Kansas.... when his dad told him to never help anyone and hide in fear.

I see someone watched MoS with his ass.

>Are you talking about Lex because his motivation was implied to be "Dad hit me, so powerful men are evil". Are you talking about Bruce because his reasons for murdering thugs is even less sensical within the scope of the DCEU when he has an entire rogues gallery that deserves death. Are you talking about Wonder Woman, because she does nothing.

Goddamn, man. Goddamn. That's why is so hard to have a proper discussion of this movie.

Fair enough my man. That's the general vibe I got from him too, but I'm sorry, I just couldn't get past the fact that Eisenberg played him as Max Landis.

Luthor in BvS just isn't a very good villain, and everything you said there has been done to death before, but far better so they have no excuse for fucking it up so badly.

I too hope Arkham fixes him.

The irony is that people love Marvel Studios because they remind people of the Silver Age, or have the appealing, colourful tone that comics used to have.

This guy gets it.
If they just made Hydra cap an Elsworld story, then all would be fine. But no, everyone me who is old is part of the begpton world order and must, by association be a Nazi....

The MCU does prop up Marvel and make mad dosh but the rest of Marvel is meh. The only recent Marvel cartoon I liked was Ultimate Spiderman and their comics division is pure shit and their videogames are non-existent (seriously if they had half a brain they would make a Deadpool FPS or a Thor beat them up)

Perlmutter should be fired and someone be placed in charge of the comics side or just have Feige run the entire show