I've checked several times and there is in fact no way for Benicio to have known about the rebels plan to use cloaked...

I've checked several times and there is in fact no way for Benicio to have known about the rebels plan to use cloaked transport ships to evacuate the cruiser. Poe is not in communication with Rose/Finn at the time he finds out about the transport ship plan.

J.... JUST TURN OFF YOUR BRAIN!!!!!!!!!

But what if Benicio can read minds! Across stellar distances!! Because he's actually Snoke!!! In disguise!!!! Because the other Snoke was just a CGI puppet!!!!! It all makes sense now!!!!!!

Seriously though, I have been wondering the same thing, since I couldn't remember any opportunity where he learned about the evacuation. Some user in another thread said the on their way back to Snoke's ship, Poe and Finn talked over communicators where Poe apparently told Finn to hurry up, because there was an evac going on. I haven't gone back to confirm it for myself though. Fuck if I'll pay again just to recheck some hazy details, so I hope someone else can back that claim up or debunk it.

The truth is that purple hair lady is just really shit and obvious so it was going to fail anyway and she got to dump the blame onto Poe after pushing him to mutiny.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I genuinely thought he actually was the codebreaker they were looking for, but somehow gambled his red flower pin away. Anyway, Finn and Rose were so naive and conspicuous anyway that it didn't suprise me, though I also didn't recall them telling him, or them even knowing about the plan. I was even pretty sympathetic to DJ because the Resistance was acting so damn incompetent throughout this movie.

So much of the important story elements seem to happen offscreen or in flashbacks, without proper explanation, robbing anything that happens because of them of any weight.

Oh fuck off. The Last Jedi is the first good Star Wars movie in 30 years.

Lots of pacing issues and plot holes, plus character inconsistencies between various points in their character arcs, keep it from being great. I'm pretty sure you can cut the entire Canto Bight arc from the film and it'd be not only better, but no more confusing for the omission.

But it's still a really good film. The music and visuals are great, probably because this is the first Star Wars by an actually skilled director since George replaced all the talented people who worked on the OT. The core emotional arc between Rey, Kylo, and Luke works really well and everyone involved gives great performances. The action is really fun when it counts, like the opening with Poe or Luke's short but sweet duel with Kylo, despite the pacing dragging a lot during the second act.

Overall, I rate 86/100 - better than anything *since* the OT, but weighed down by too many plot and pacing problems to be on the level of the originals.

>Oh fuck off.

He should've been an Imperial agent planted in that cell. Would've explained his really specific set of skills. Instead they just happened to find the guy with the exact set of skills they needed in a random encounter.
When he appeared in FO's uniform he should've saluted, reported in clear English with no stuttering and marched away.

>deal.jpg

Don't you mean d-d-d-d-deal.jpg? Don't know why Benicio or Johnson thought the stutter was a good idea.

Maybe the Empire didn't need to "detect" the cloaked ships, maybe they just looked out the window and saw the engines of a bunch of smaller ships leaving the big one. I don't get how that was the plan in the first place. Did I miss a scene where the "cloaked" ships are actually, physically invisible, like cloaked ships are in Star Trek? The Empire ships obviously have direct line of sight to them, since they were able to hit them with their cannons, and as far as I know the cloaked ships don't have anything masking their engine's heat signatures, so on something like FLIR they'd be easy to spot. Does the Empire not have thermal vision or thermal sensors on their ships? This might sound like nitpicking, but it means that the Rebel's grand plan of bailing at the last minute in smaller ships is something that could be countered easily with technology we have, on Earth, right now.

Also, what a waste of Benicio Del Toro

He is a triple agent that gained the trust of the First Order so he could disable their hyperdrive failsafes and allow the Resistance ship to plot a hyperspace course through the First Order Dreadnaught. That’s why nobody did that before, the hyperdrive on YOUR ship prevents other hyperdrives from plotting a course through them, and del Toro disabled it because he is a master code breaker. Screenshot this.

Well, you're an idiot, because it happens at 1:28 in the camrip. Immediately after Poe is ordered off deck he calls up Finn and Rose and the camera focuses on DJ listening to him.

Watching Benicio stuttering and making that weird puppy dog face when he says he cut a d-d-d-deal was so uncomfortable and weird on its own, but it's even dumber that he didn't know their plan.

Reality and facts don't matter when you have to hate the movie on principal

He only says that they’re fueling transports. At no point does he say that the plan is to sneak out in cloaked transports. He only finds out about that after he wakes up on the transport. Yet benicio somehow knows about the cloaked transports before Poe does.

>he calls up Finn and Rose

Did Poe really call them and not the other way around? How did he manage to call them anyway, on an unknown ship that he has no way of knowing is there?

>Sir, we checked on the information from the thief. We ran a deep cloaking scan and sure enough 30 Resistance transports launched from the cruiser.
You moron. He didn't tell them the transports were cloaked, just that they existed. Why didn't the First Order expect the rebels to abandon ship? Because Rian Johnson is a hack and nothing in this movie makes sense. But DJ did indeed know the rebels planned to use transports to escape from their cruiser, and so you are an idiot.

>Did I miss a scene where the "cloaked" ships are actually, physically invisible, like cloaked ships are in Star Trek?
Nope.
Holdo is literally looking out through her window at a bunch of fully visible ships, glowing exhausts and all, saying "god speed rebels."

Once again, Finn fucks up by not only bringing in the wrong hacker, he also doesn't make sure they can't be overheard by aforementioned highly suspicious untrustworthy hacker. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised that Finn is an unwitting sleeper agent for the FO. He was conditioned to defect to the resistance and sabotage them through sheer ineptitude.

Pic related.

They could have made it work if they had her swing around the planet or a moon or something, the ships bail out while they're concealed from view, and then she swings back out of orbit to face the fleet. It could have worked, it didn't have to be this way.

Then why the fuck did they have to scan for cloaked ships when they’re visible to the naked eye?

Because they're small and it's in space, you wouldn't easily see them unless you right next to them.

BECAUSE IT'S IN THE SCRIPT YOU SHITLORD

>not ever mentioning something which actually makes sense and doesn't render a quarter of the film's running time irrelevant
a true master of storytelling at work, bravo Rian

>we want the social anxiety audience

Do those massive Imperial ships not have thermal vision or sensors, or cameras with a zoom lens? You'd think they'd be monitoring the rebel ships for anyone trying to escape. Again, this is technology that exists on Earth, it's what fighter jets use to lock on to each other (it's one way at least).

Why would First Order and Resistance hyperdrive computers be talking to each other? Are they pals?

Why didn't purple hair lady tell EVERYONE in the ship (Poe included) her plan from the start?
Did she fear spies or something?

Uhhmm sweety, a woman doesn't have to tell her thinkings to anyone.

Hyperdrive manufacturers build them so they communicate with each other. They’re developing the same technology in the American auto industry, on board computers communicate with each other to prevent crashes. It’s already established that the FO and Resistance buy their ships and weapons from outside manufacturers.