Where did it go so wrong?

The first three episodes were absolutely amazing, they lived up to all the hype perfectly, the episodes after that weren't terrible but they certainly didn't hold up the first three.

These last two episodes though, Jesus mang, the fuck happened?

Genndy smoked too much of the herb I feel a hehehheh

Romance baloney shoved in the final season, and in Samurai Jack of all things

The romance could have worked if the execution was more organic and subtle.

>romance ruins everything
fags
no (you)

Jack went back. Did you expect the series to stay grim and brooding forever?
The latter episodes are very much like the original series.

ya
Ikra was a more suitable love interest for fuck sake

Episode 2 was more like the original series than any other episode this season.

They remembered that they only had ten episodes to wrap up absolutely everything and threw a brick on the gas pedal.

No they didn't they just fucking shoved a shitty romance into itfor no reason, I would take episode 1 2 and 3 quality for 8 episodes then an epic 2 part finale but instead we get faggot romance "hurrrrrr but jack if u go back I die DX" rammed down our throats.

It looks like Genndy is one of "those" directors that needs producers to keep a leash on him before they get too out of control wither their self-pandering fantasy ideas.

That and the pacing has been legitimately abysmal after episode 4.

You couldn't wait for the rest of the episodes so you wrote a story in your head, but the story that was to be was not your story.

You know, six weeks ago I believe my exact words were "people expecting a romantic relationship represent the absolute worst aspects of fandoms." But I just watched the episode and I have to say, that pay-off was spectacular. It was hilarious and touching. A candle in the dark. And it really taught me a lesson: A story is a story. It can't be broken down and there really is no value whatsoever in analyzing it and indulging in the surroundings. All that hype, all that speculation, all that theoretical hatred and in the end, the story just hits me from left field in a way that had nothing to do with anything that I had thought or discussed or anticipated. And so what was the point of all that time spent thinking about it?

This had a real effect on me. And I guess what I'm saying is: goodbye, Sup Forums. Because when I think about spending any more time indulging in the echo chambers that hangers on mosh in to try and re-capture the fleeting moments of their favorite stories, I think I'd rather spend it watching, reading, and living new stories instead.

See you, space cowboys. I have some old movies to watch.

Thank god, don't let the door hit you on the way out

See (you) tomorrow faggot.

headcanon thread?

Cant wait to see your opinion take a 180 when Jack either dies or refuses to return back to the past in the last episode. Or worse, Ashi's the one that Kills off Aku instead.

Jack died with the Daughters of Aku after the log broke and everything thereafter is his dying fever dream.

If Ashi kills Aku we riot

>The latter episodes are very much like the original series.

That doesn't make it good, nor was original Jack all that great either.

>we need 50 different threads to discuss samurai hack

Jesus Christ, get your shit together Sup Forums

>just turn off your brain and its good
So it's not good then.

It's not good, it's great.

Seems a lot of people aren't enjoying it much

Original Jack was great. The movie with the dogs and robotic cockroaches alone is loads better than this season.

>Ashi dies next episode
>punished Jack returns and makes fun of Jack for thinking he could do it without him
>Jack defeats Aku
>gains the ability to go back in time
>just keeps looping back trying to save Ashi
>he never succeeds
>he never saves the world and stops Aku

It's you again

Yeah, because of "not muh Jack..."

a lot of people in Sup Forums?

Why should I care about anons having a meltdown when I am enjoying the episodes?

>...
Fuck off

So if we're being that divisive then people only like it for "muh waifu, old jack sucks" then

Funny thing is it's actually quite bad even without the romance

>This thread again
It's you again

The last two episodes have been better than 4-6. 4 was nothing but visuals with one single turning point at the end; 5 had a great first scene and some solid little moments but the Jack & Ashi scenes all felt slightly off-paced; 6 had a bunch of fan cameos and solid comedy but spent so long on them the impactful scene where Jack gets his hope back feels rushed.

7 had great direction in its juxtaposition of what Jack & Ashi need to do to get over their issues and get ready to beat Aku, and the only issue is that it felt like they had to cram an episode and a half's worth of material into 22 minutes. 8 had great pacing, great action, really fun character moments, built to the romantic climax well, and had the best ending to a Season 5 episode since the 2nd.

People saying 7&8 are the weakest of the season just confuse me, honestly. They've reinforced my belief that the show can end strong, even though I'm not convinced the pacing will be perfect. This Season needed 12 episodes, not 10.

Hes I'm obviously talking within the context of the place we are. Why are you here if you don't care about discussing things here?

I'm gonna need to see a edit of the episode with all the romantic shenanigans cut off to know for sure

Good, then Sup Forums will make fools of themselves, ultimately proving that they're no better than tumblr.

>this season is terrible
>I think it's pretty good
>uhh why are you here?

>if i put words in people's mouths and pretend this was a completely different conversation, then i win!

2 weeks after the finale, you'll never see a Samurai Jack thread again

People just don't want Jack to be happy. They feel that a realistic ending is where he does defeat Aku, but doesn't celebrate because he let down his family by being unable to return to the past. I'm sorry but Jack deserves a bitch at the end of the road after everything he has gone through.

>Aku was actually the father of Ashi
>Aku reintegrates Ashi a la Clayface
>FOOLISH SAMURAI

7 was pretty fucking bad for both parts, not just the deservedly criticized Ashi defeating an army BS, but also for the Jack portion feeling like an enormous asspull (and crazy rushed to boot)
As for 8, it's so terrible it literally gets 0/10 from me, and I can't remember ever giving that rating before

I'm enjoying it. The last episode and the episode inside the worm sucked ass, but everything else has been on par with what the series was before its cancellation.

PLEASE

and there is a lot of people who are enjoying it a lot.
Your point?

I think it's been just a bit below early season 1, but the only bad episodes are the ones you mentioned.

The first three episodes were also slow as fuck and the least like Samurai Jack of any in the season. This has gotten very old. I really wonder if those of you bitching about the later ones while jerking off to the first three even watched the original run.

Ashi was a mistake

I have never been so disillusioned in my entire life. I was there for the first episode stream and I was fucking amazed, it blew my expectations out of the water.

I can't translate where I was then to where I am now. The show isn't BAD, but it's just mediocre, like it just slipped through my hands.

>The human side of Ashi keeps Aku from being able to run away
>Aku is finally forced to fight Jack one on one
>Jack is finally able to kill Aku after all these years, but it means killing Ashi as well

The whole point of the original WAS that it was "slow as fuck", shitposting user.

What's yours?

Fuck, the first episode stream on adult swim with everyone on the board in the sticky thread, the moment it ended going on about how "Genndy saved western animation"

I want that back.

There are other forms of happiness besides an easy fuck.

Like re-uniting with all of the people's lives that he managed to change through his good deeds.

The fact that the Scotsman and Jack STILL haven't met each other after 8 episodes is pretty disgusting tbqh.

No it wasn't. You literally never watched it.

Let me bring up an example that has been brought up many times. Jack vs. the Ultrabots. It was pretty much the original version of the first three episodes of this season, but in one episode. No really, the basic plot outline is very similar.

But you'd know that if you actually watched any of it.

Samurai Jack was 80% mood and atmosphere. It's pretty obvious who didn't watch anything pre-season 5

>deservedly criticized Ashi defeating an army BS
Jack has beaten armies of better warriors than those orcs solo, and Ashi was trained to the point of being nearly a match for Jack. I see zero reason why her soloing a bunch of goons is BS.
> Jack portion feeling like an enormous asspull (and crazy rushed to boot)
I agree. Most of its strength was the visuals and juxtaposition to the loud and violent Ashi segments. I feel like S5 wants so bad to show off what Genndy can do visually that it wraps up some episodes in 2 minutes when it needed 4 or 5. How it happened didn't really bother me, but it happened so fast.
>As for 8, it's so terrible it literally gets 0/10 from me
I sincerely doubt that it's THAT bad. The animation would need to be littered with errors, the writing just off-the-wall stupid, the action scenes boring and poorly-choreographed, the monster non-threatening, and the romance untelegraphed to be that bad. It was none of those things. It put most of the build to their relationship into the episode, but it had been teased since halfway through the season. If all the romance was taken out, you'd have really solid scenes against the Tiger assassins and the monster.

I can understand hating the romance even if I totally disagree, but anything under even a 5/10 would just be lying.

I want Jack to go on adventures and solve episodic conflicts saving new people in new places while serialized elements are weaved throughout like the previous show, but with the premise established in S5E01. I don't care about a virgin with rage on a love quest.

>The fact that the Scotsman and Jack STILL haven't met each other after 8 episodes is pretty disgusting tbqh.
Oh my fuck you're right, what the actual FUCK

Seems the only "mood and atmosphere" you want was super serious and brooding. I bet you're one of those people who bitched about that small part of Aku in episode 2.

>literally nobody thinks of the alternative where jack brings ashi into the past with him

While I still think the show is watchable, the main issue is that the promotional material hyped up the show as being some kind of dark and tormented version of the original Samurai Jack, when that atmosphere lasted for only three episodes before returning to normal.

I don't think going that route really did the show any favors, because nothing about Jack's time during that phase stuck. His mindset and everything had to change due to character development, but his appearance was set back to how it used to be and he even lost all of his gear from his combat pragmatism phase. It felt like Genndy just hit a "Return to status quo" button at the end of Episode 7.

wait did it get leaked that if Jack goes back he'll kill Ashi?

>classic evading
thanks for playing.

I bitched about it because it was shit, not because it was comedic. Compare EXTRA THICC, it's a night-and-day difference basically.

I want him to be happy by completing his quest.

>Crawling out of the woodworks to announce "Oh I actually hate Jack now!"

I love you Sup Forums

user, please. This isn't a topic complaining about romance being bad. It's a topic complaining about how hamfistedly the romance was developed.

For goodness sake, not everyone that criticizes Season 5 is an retarded autistic Tumblrite virgin faggot or whatever buzzword stew is getting thrown around now.

You tried to turn the tables with a counterpoint but then also invalidate the point in the same post, so it didn't work. No argument, you lost by default.

Aishi ruined everything/

>implying I don't like the humor in SJ
>implying Aku was in any way good this season
bitch off

And that's what makes it look like you have no appreciation for the series. SJ has always evoked a variety of moods. It has always had light-hearted and comedic elements and serious elements. Some episodes were mostly serious, some episodes were light-hearted and some walked the line between. It was always like that.

pretending like the series hasn't dipped in quality will never return the show back to how great the first 3 eps were

>Scotsman and his daughters get the entire opening sequence of an episode to themselves, sequence ends with the Scotsman telling his daughters about a plan
>We never see them again

Yeah, they honestly could've taken a much better path to the return to the sword and defeat of angry jack if they cut all that ashi building. Part of what made Jack as a series interesting was that he was alone, but I guess Genndy wants to write a pulp hero conclusion.

Exactly what was unrealistic about them developing a relationship?

>implying aku hasn't been god-tier so far

It's not over, user. You know that, right?

>I want Jack to go on adventures and solve episodic conflicts

No you don't. Nobody wants the old show back, it lasted for fucking ever, and gave up pacing for monster of the week shit.
Its like how the old Teen Titans with arcs was abandoned for the new Teen Titans Go for episodic joke of the week bullshit.
Monster of the week is pleb status. Its basically say that you don't care about pacing and story structure in the whole. It made you not care about when Jack found a time portal because, hey, its episodic and made to make money, so you know he won't be able to use it or something. Ending the series wouldn't be profitable to them. Samurai Jack suffered the old Inuyasha death, milked until the money ran out and was abandoned. I'm glad that it came back to give the series a proper ending, and I am glad its not 1 episode of plot at a time with 20+ episodic filler in between. NEVER have I EVER heard or someone WANTING filler in a series before. Samurai Jack isn't Gumball, or Chowder, or Clarence, or Spongebob, it has a story to tell and a plot to weave, it can't get bogged down with monster of the week episodic filler shit. You people are fucking awful.

>No you don't.
Yes I do.
I guess I don't have to read the rest of your post.

>People can't change their opinion on something that started off really good but got substantially worse as it went on

>...
Please die

That's the point. It was suppose to feel rushed and forced. Its two awkward people awkwardly stumbling into something they both know nothing about. If it was developed correctly, it would feel like they were both playing dumb the whole time.

Sooooooo much this.

I can't believe people are complaining about a fast paced plot, I remember wanting to not watch Samurai Jack sometimes because I knew it would never fucking end, Aku was untouchable and it would just be the same thing over and over again

God fucking forbid they change up the formula after years.

top kek

Man if only you already had four seasons of the same old thing to watch

>Jack and ashi kill aku together.
>It cuts to black.
>We dont see any prologue about what happened to them, if jack goes to the past, or what.
>The last cut is the wolf in a cave with a family and puppies looking to the very lively forest.
>Watcha.
How would you react?

That's because Sup Forums thinks that 'proper pacing' equals taking several episodes to address one plot point. Basically, slow pacing = good and fast pacing = bad, with no concept of anything else.

They've turned pacing into a meme.

>The wolf cubs get adopted by the Starks
>Story continues from there

Only on Sup Forums would a forum look at a long as hell show like Samurai Jack and say "man, I wish this was slower and longer". Imagine someone saying this about Pokemon. Or Power Rangers. Or One Piece. They would be called a crazed idiot and dismissed entirely.

>pretending to like
W E W
Damn, the mental gymnastics are strong in these contrarians

So you can't even read then. I wanted one season of it in a newer premise with serialized elements to be woven in too. With a two-parter climax that was planned from the start of the season.

ITT:

>NOT MUH DAUGHTERU RRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

back to >>>/tumblr/, tourists

Unfulfilled, unresolved, confused, and disappointed. Would be one of the biggest copout endings to a show I have seen in years. Might as well have been a picture of Genndy throwing his hands up in the air saying "I quit"

You're an idiot. I LOVE comedic parts when they're well-written, like Aku's EXTRA THICC scene. Aku was written TERRIBLY in episode 2, and the animation and voice acting in the scene didn't help.

I think last night's episode was probably my least favorite of the season. That being said, I still really enjoyed it and imagine they're getting ready to build to the final final showdown. I don't think pacing has been off, it's just the wait between episodes has kind of been a drag. Sometimes you need those slower episodes so you can go nuts with the other ones.

I don't want Ashi full stop.

The series is too long as it is, wanting yet ANOTHER full season is insane. In fact, most people would feel like its just like the old show, as in, that it won't be ending, and would likely drop the show at some point, like most people do for long shows. Sometimes, a season is made to end a series (inuyasha the final act), and when that is done, they typically are given a very low animation budget, which causes the pacing to feel rushed when compared to the original one, because they need to tell a story faster with less animation put into it. I'm sorry if you don't like this, but I'd rather pick this over another long drawn out season any day of the week.

There is nothing wrong with Ashi

>wanting yet ANOTHER full season is insane
No it isn't, there was a revival user.