What's the general opinion on Wendy?

What's the general opinion on Wendy?

Needed to /ss/

Cluster of tropes, forced, barely a character.

Whore, meh character, went full on Mary Sue during Wierdmageddon.

Didn't really like her all.

She was so bland and boring. I could tell that they TRIED to salvage some of her personality towards the end of the series though. However it was too little, too late.

Majority of the episodes she was involved in in Season 1 were also pretty bad. Now that I think about it, I didn't really like this show very much at all after its noticeable decline in quality after Hirsch gave up on it because it was too hard.

Could say the same thing about Pacifica. I mean it's not like Northwest Mansion Mystery even mattered in the end.

Reminded me too much of my ex wife in the worst ways

>at least she's better than Jackie Lynn Thomas

Really fucking boring. Never got an episode to herself, it was always instead just a Dipper episode about her.
Didn't deserve a spot in the title card imo. Also, the whole action girl shtick they gave her to make her look cool was pretty lame.

Cluster of tropes basically applies to anyone
If anything, Wendy is only like 2 or 3 tropes

I liked her in the Mignolaverse crossover.

Oregon woodsy girl > SoCal skater girl

Any day of the week

Wasted potential.

This is a lie

More a prop than a character.

All of season 1 can be summed up as:

>Who gets Wendy?

I'm not going into "wah wah wah don't objectify women!" territory, but she was legitimately just something to be fought over and prized and offered nothing to the story and had no personality.

Season 2 tried to overcorrect on that, but still wouldn't let the "Dripper has a crush and wants to get Wendy" go, even when they tried, and she wound up devolving back into a prop for Dipper to try and collect and nothing more.

She was never a legitimate character.

Which is basically true of any semi major to major nice girl character ever. Especially if they are or were ever a love interest of the MC (see )

Writers just don't know what to do with them and have trouble finding ways to make them work on their own.

her hat's cool, the rest of her isn't

Is it though?
Until we see whatever happens to Jackie in season 3 and 4 I'd say this is true at the moment.

Ehh I'd argue her entire look is cool
But yeah beyond looks/style, not much else going on

How did she go full Mary Sue?

And afterwards her next appearance was in Weirdmageddon and her personality change wasn't important enough in that episode for it to matter

>Is suddenly the most competent fighter in the apocalypse

Girl's got some serious problems. MABEL YOUR CRAZINESS IS WHAT MAKES MY LIFE WORTH LIVING, AND DIPPER IF YOU EVER STOP BEING MY FRIEND I WILL THROW MYSELF INTO THE FUCKING BOTTOMLESS PIT SAVE MEEEEEEEEE

More proof that Alex can't write female characters

Where the fuck did that come from, this series takes place over like 2 or 3 months

If you ask me, I think part of the reason Wendy's so boring is that, even if she appears in an episode, whenever something interesting's going on that could potentially happen to her, she's usually just sort of not there when it happens

She wasn't around to swap bodies with anybody, she wasn't around during the adventure with the dinosaurs, she wasn't around to fall into the bottomless pit, she wasn't around to get turned into a zombie, she wasn't around to get turned into a tree, she wasn't around during all the portal business in NWHS, etc.

And I'm not just saying this because I wanted to see a Zombie Wendy

Yeah, it's pretty much this. Aside from the convenience story thing, she barely interacted with any of the supernatural elements of the show during the first season, putting her way out of focus.

She only exists because the writer had a crush on Faust

They also needed a second major female character to balance out the cast

>major

That's a laugh

Do we really need to do this every time either one of these characters are brought up

They're both basically the same character when you get into it.

The only difference is that Marco actually got with his sexy piece of cardboard.

And technically I guess she still has time left to grow even though she probably won't

In fanfics with her, you can tell the fic writers really have to struggle to make her the slightest bit interesting

>What's the general opinion on Wendy?
cutie waifu material

It felt like she was always the first to go when the writers needed to remove characters to conserve runtime.

I still like her, even though she was underutilized. She really shone in Into the Bunker.

Yep, see Happened in Star vs too, Jackie was supposed to be part of the Halloween episode, there was a bunch of storyboarding and concept art of her in her costume. She was dropped to save runtime.

Isn't that the episode where she suddenly became inexplicably badass, while every prior episode showed that she was basically just an average lazy teen?

>We just barely missed out on seeing Jackie get vored.

Well to be fair, Stan sort of became inexplicably badass in Scaryoke as well. He just got more chances afterwards to explain it.

It might have been interesting if it had turned out that she was the one who was possessed by Bill, rather than the time travelling Lemongrab man who only appeared in two episodes.

Like most characters on GF, she suffers from poor writing and the lack of (at least) a third season to be developed properly.

This would have been a lot more interesting and emotional plot wise.

Especially since Dipper was the one that was holding the snowglobe. Bill would posses Wendy in order to take it from him. It would have been easy and made a lot more sense.

Still wouldn't do shit for Wendy since it isn't actually her

This...would have been pretty awesome.

who cares about wendy though.

From a writing stand point it would have made more sense and been more bearable that Mabel having a tantrum and running off with the snowglobe.

This. Making Wendy be possessed by Bill still doesn't actually fix any of her problems, it's still the same thing as most of Season 1, just with higher stakes.
It's just another Dipper episode where he has to figure out a solution to a problem involving Wendy.

Wouldn't that mean that Dipper would be the one who got put in the dream bubble while Mabel has to survive the apocalypse on her own

And how does that picture contradict when and how long the series takes place at all?

I'm most of the way through the first season atm and so far she's pretty much a non-entity despite all the screen time she's gotten. On the other hand almost all the episodes where a large chunk is about Dippers crush on her are awful. I hate watching them, and I think they're making me hate her character through association.

Probably, but Mabel was trapped in the bubble because she's an idiot, and didn't want to grow up.

Dipper was more mature and smart enough to realize that everything in the bubble was lie. He even realized the Wendy that started hitting on him was fake.

They are on exactly the same level

Jackie is poised to become Wendy 2.0

Good character, better than Pacuckicka.

She never gets any depth

>B-but she's a great fighter during the apocalypse! And look, she says she's stressed 24/7! Genius subversion!

And that's still deeper then Jackie, whose only character trait besides chill skater girl is that she likes reading history textbooks.

Vaguely likeable character without a story to tell, burdening already struggling and disinterested writers.

If it was a more mature show, she'd probably die.

It's also tantalizing because I feel like her scenes suggest more interesting personality, but writers never bothered to show it properly.

phones cause cancer.

She is yet another fuckable redhead

You know, I don't know if that's what would have happened but it's what should have happened with Mabel having to save Dipper even if he was just unconscious or the bubble was a totally convincing reality instead of lol 80s instead.

Why? Because it would have made Mabel have to actually sacrifice for Dipper and save the day for once, redeeming her character.

Instead Mabel just seemed insufferable in those episodes.

Redheads are the worst

Wendy is just a poor's man Robin.

The true best /ss/ girl.

She's cool.

indeed

Depthfags are almost as annoying as lorefags at this point
>EVERY CHARACTER MUST ALSO SECRETLY BE BATMAN OR ELSE THEY'RE A BAD CHARACTER

It's only because Wendy was supposedly a main character and we didn't get so much as hints of a small backstory or anything. We hardly know who she is

Being a competent fighter was part of her character desu

That goes for just about every other non-Pines character in Gravity Falls aside from Soos who was modeled after Hirsch's fat Mexican boyfrie- I mean "personal trainer".

Would Pacificafags shut the fuck up already about how WMG ruined their waifu's development? She was acting like that because she found herself in an unusual environment she had no idea how to deal with.
It's not like all the previous times of Stan doing something good were discarded because he acted like an imbecile with the circle thing.

Fuck her useless existence. The one that makes burgers is qter anyway.

I was bringing it up to disparage Pacificafags. NMM made them into a cancer.

WMG ruined everything. I bet if we look close enough at Wall Street Crash of 1929, Hirsch's bad writing is somehow responsible.

You just showed that you are the same tier of cancer, if not worse.

Fpbp

Do we have another "Cool Girl that the male protag crushes on" to make a fusion chart? Does the red bird from Regular Show count?

Pretty much.

Thy hinted at development, but never actually followed through

She's even more boring than these two

S-s... /ss/-threesome?

We can go deeper.

All she really did was use an axe. She also grew up with brothers which would explain why she could fight the shapeshifter.

t.starcuck

I think she makes awful food, but makes awesome cream pies.

I assume this is fan-made right? Because if they brushed up against each other like that in the show, that would have been pretty funny.

Except that's not the case at all

She's boring

Not even the third best girl of the show.
Still better than Ma"random is fun"bel

Who's better, Pacifica and... wow there's not really a lot of girls

Tambry? Grenda?

It's not official, but it was made by one of the guys who worked on the show.

Candy before Roadside Attraction ruined her.

>Candy before Roadside Attraction ruined her.
Did it ever, holy shit.

I like all the episodes in that show, but that's the only one that makes me genuinely angry. Dipper is 12, not the age to start a serious relationship. Yet all the girls he talks to act treat him like their spouse of 10 years was cheating on them with a highschool student.

Man they botched that moral.

Plainer than porridge

>If it was a more mature show, she'd probably die.

Why do you say that?

Pure.

Sex.

don't necrobump man, you were already in the thread. /gfg/ is dead

I appreciated how she got slightly more to do in Season 2.

Also, she's not that hot.

What was her costume?

best girl.

Mermaid

well I guess more like some sea monster but still, the sea theme is very present