How do all the South Park eras compare?

How do all the South Park eras compare?

Seasons 1-3 (More focus on crude jokes, just the boys doing kid stuff)
Seasons 4-9 (Topical episodes start happening, Kenny is sidelined)
Seasons 10-17 (Chef is gone, more focus on Randy plots, experimenting with 2-part, 3-part episodes)
Seasons 18-20 (season long storylines)

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0118928/
imdb.com/title/tt0120461/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think after Isaac Hayes left the show just started to head downhill fast.

You could see the threads falling apart in season 9 when they decided to make Garrison a woman.

Not really, granted him fucking off did affect the show a lot, but the only seasons to be legitimate shit imo were 16, 18 and about half the episodes of season 17, they really dropped the ball hardcore with those

Garrison just kept getting more and more unfunny as seasons went by.

Season 20 was kind of a giant clusterfuck imo

Season 20's first half was GOAT, but then they kept introducing so many subplots. And they had no back up plan in case Trump won, so they were left scrambling for a way to end the season.

Season 20 was shit. 2008-2014 imo were the best.

Didn't they have to redo the episode after Trump won?

Yes. They didn't expect Trump to actually win, like a bunch of other people.

I barely remember election night cus i got shitfaced that night after the results

The first half of the season hinged entirely on Garrison realizing he would make a shitty president and needed to focus on getting rid of the member berries. But because Trump won, they had to scrap his character arc, scrap the whole thing about The Force Awakens, and do some last minute shit about the member berries bringing in real storm troopers that never went anywhere.

Again, a total clusterfuck

I've been watching them recently, was thinking about making a similar thread, aside from the member memes Sup Forums hasn't referred to south park much in awhile.

Anyway I find the episodes that have their world being the focus without parodying ours to be the best ones. I'm fine with underlying political themes and the occasional bluntly said joke, but damn if it didn't get shitty as it went. I liked the episodes in the school, second best were any about the boys and their antics that had little to no political weight to it. I can watch a batch of political laced episodes and feel drained and exhausted, but if it's underlying or less in a batch it feels like I'm coming out better. It's not because I'm triggered with political stuff, it's just boring, especially with this recent idea, even though it had decent gags at times.

Just watched the UPS Man episode and remembered how fucking great it was, then I started thinking about other episodes I liked and it was stuff like The List, the 2-part Stan's puberty episode, and the facetime episode which I watched after the ups man one. I like the boys being boys and comedy not having to be "obama obama trump obama but also mickey mouse star wars trolls". That said Mickey Mouse can be kinda funny depending how they use him, I'm sure there's a few star wars references I liked too.

>last minute shit about the member berries bringing in real storm troopers that never went anywhere.
Jeez oh man, that's really painting themselves into a corner
>Trump failed all his racially motivated schemes
>Trump hasn't really done fuck-all
They have no parallels to draw.

Plus the whole Troll trace arc meandered

>Trump failed all his racially motivated schemes
Name one

The big anti-Mexican wall and the big anti-Muslim ban, the two reasons he was elected.

>big anti muslim ban
Muslim isn't a race and it was for 7 countries that Obama originally designated
>big anti Mexican wall
There's already a wall on the border from Obama's tenure

>Topical episodes start happening seson 4
>I wasn't alive/following the news prior to that season

I guess I'll reuse my half-baked pasta

>'member when South Park used to be about kids doing kid stuff?
Fun fact: most of the 1st season of South Park was commentary on what was hot on TV and in the news in 1997-98

>The Spirit of Christmas
The de-Christianisation of Christmas and the change from Christmas to "Holiday season"
>Cartman Gets an Anal Probe
Alien abductions
>Volcano
imdb.com/title/tt0118928/
imdb.com/title/tt0120461/
>Weight Gain 4000
Child obesity
>Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride
It's okay to be gay.
>An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig
Cloning
>Death
Euthanasia
>Pinkeye
I got nothing
>Starvin' Marvin
Starving Somalians
>Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo
See Spirit of Christmas
>Damien
I got nothing
>Tom's Rhinoplasty
Plastic surgery was starting to get mainstream. Also Hoff.
>Mecha-Streisand
It's full of 90s celebrities
>Cartman's Mom Is a Dirty Slut
Single moms being shit parents

Also
>just the boys doing kid stuff meme
Fuck you Sup Forums, pay attention.

>it was for 7 countries that Obama originally designated
That's really not what "Muslim ban" implies, nor what he said in his camapaign,

yes, yes, Obongo did it, but my point is that they were riding on the nazi Trump hysteria wave, the season ended at the peak of the wave, and because Trump just kind of gave up there's gonna be nothing left when they return to write the next season.
There's nothing they can do with the 'member berries.

They already said Season 21 will not have anything to do with Trump because they realized how badly they botched Season 20.

Hopefully Cartman keeps his girlfriend.

There was still a change in tone after season 3 in terms of writing and characterization.

Pretty sure the Women's March is perfect for south park's satire

>Just watched the UPS Man episode and remembered how fucking great it was
Jesus fuck Sup Forums, you have really shit tastes.

There's not much to parody now

The women's march is pretty stale right now, in six months or so it's going to be about as funny as "Ted Cruz is the Zodiac killer"

Possibly but it's not about them starting to parody hot societal topics, that was a thing since before it was even a show.

What's there left to satirize?

nice deflection, Ms. Conway. Make sure to call Obama a racist while you're at it, that's how we rile up our base.

It's more like back ten years ago when Trey and Matt said they wouldn't do any Bush jokes in Team America or South Park because they realized how played out and tired Bush jokes were. And according to the season 19 commentary, that was their exact opinion on Trump (they didn't want to make a Trump episode because every other comedy show was going to do one) until another writer suggested they use Mr. Garrison as a stand-in instead of actually Trump.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the first episode of next season was some kind of retcon episode just to unfuck what season 20 did.

I feel kind of bad for Kelly Anne Conway, holy shit she had to bust her ass while her boss was 'tarding out.
I'd watch a show about that.

I'd prefer if they pretend it didn't happen and just returned to episodic shit. Retcons usually end up being as dumb as what they're correcting.

Took me a second but I get it

I actually liked the security guys exchange with Cartman the most and the InSecurity gags with people getting triggered and an alarm going off

Lots of very qualified people were tapped to basically commit career suicide trying to smooth over Trump's controversial statements. Sean Spicer used to be a pretty respected dude, and now Melissa McCarthy mercilessly slams him every third Saturday of the month.

That'd be also stupid, because that's expecting viewers to completely forget that one of the main character is gonna be unusable for 4 to 8 years and Kyle's dad was a manipulative asshole for an entire season.

>gonna be unusable for 4 to 8 years
the thing about retcons is that they can change anything, he can just be back to the classroom like nothing ever happened just like kenny isn't dead in a next scene if they want him back

same for kyle's dad unless the trolling thing has underlying less presedential effects, but since everyone seemed to resolve the internet breakdown at the end it could easily not be mentioned again

just a hard reset to before this shit happened and that's that, but there might be something hanging left over

>That'd be also stupid
Yes, who gives a shit, at least you don't waste an episode on being stupid, it's just stupid without wasting airtime.
>because that's expecting viewers to completely forget that one of the main character is gonna be unusable for 4 to 8 years and Kyle's dad was a manipulative asshole for an entire season.
That's how most cartoon sticoms work, including South Park until most recently. Or do you see characters constantly reference Gerald being a jewlawfin and Kyle eating Cartman's farts?

>Kyle eating Cartman's farts?
fuck that ep damn it

Kyle's dad been an asshole. He's been a fucking jew since season 2 when he helped the students sue the fucking school to make money and then when everyone caught on to his shit, he lied like a mother fucker about learning a lesson to take his money and run.

A JEW

Shut up jewboy.

I still thought season 20 was awesome regardless. It was funny and action packed, they will probably keep exploring some of the plot points from last year in the next season.

But after three seasons of continuity and arcs, I think a lot of people will definitely give a shit when it suddenly shifts back to standalone episodes. And Gerald becoming a Jewlawfin was a one episode thing, not a season spanning arc that most fans couldn't escape from thanks to how omnipresent it was in the jokes.

Like Simpsons I just pretend it ended years ago. First few seasons are all that's worth watching, for both.

I don't know. South Park didn't hit its peak until seasons 5-8 for me.

It got old for me after the boys got to 4th grade, last episode I watched air live was the one with Timmy time-traveling with his wheelchair. I don't remember the rest, it's been like 15 years. Last year I was at a friend's house and we watched a new episode from the recent season, it's abysmal how up it's own ass the show is

most people agree it's been a trainwreck recently, and there were a bunch of shit episodes before they hit this streak of trump crap too but there were a bunch of great ones after the 4th grade transition, back then the episodes were semi-boring in my opinion, mid seasons were the better ones until towards the end

>tfw the show will never have the same tone as the Chinpokomon episode again
I GOT TO BUY IT, I GOT TO BUY IT

>it's abysmal how up it's own ass the show is
You lied, you've seen passed the 4th grade episode, or else you wouldn't have referenced the HumancentIPad episode.

>HumancentIPad
The fuck are you on about

the bullshit season 15 premiere parodying the humancentipede movie thing, it was as bad as it

>parody of
>season 15
This is why I ignore that South Park is still around

I can't even remember the last episode of SP I watched. I very rarely bother till the very end and even then my patience runs itself into the ground before any reach a conclusion, because about a whopping 0 out of the 20 jabs they use actually work or manage to strike me as intelligently funny. they're far past the point of meta criticizing family guy for their mediocre joke format and begun doing it themselves, nearly 15 years later. there's no identity to the characters, no depth, nothing. it's all fucking jabs and gags. the show is so face-deep in its own satire it can't even look at itself without busting out a politics/social jab.

part of south park's charm in its early days was its simplicity, how they scraped to find even grounds on what needed to be expanded and what didn't, it had a fair balance between surrealistic and fairly innocent. now everything feels overly produced, and aimed towards the modern, generic audience for adult shows looking for 'haha I can't believe they did that on the show, it's funny because it's a thing that happens irl!!!'.

it's really lame that they went the long arc route. satire gets tiring *incredibly* quickly, why did they feel like they needed three-parter episodes to run the joke of the month into the ground?

>part of south park's charm in its early days was its simplicity
This, I loved the old formula that was essentially a group of 8 year olds who know a bit more than they should but are still kids, so it's funny when they try to do an adult thing without knowing any better, and also Kenny dies. It's a simple premise, and relatable to anyone who remembers being a mischievous but ultimately innocent child.

South Park should really stop with the season-long plotlines and go back to the way it was during seasons 10-17.