Greg Universe

Would've Steven Universe been a better show if it was a sequel?

The reason I'm asking this is because of how immensely popular Greg is as a character in here and in the Steven Universe fandom in general, Rose-Greg episodes are widely liked since it gives a slight exposition to Rose's mysterious past, and the idea of starting the SU Universe with Greg Universe as its protagonist has incredibly high potential.

I'm not saying there should be a prequel, all I'm suggesting is that it could've been better if the show was titled Greg Universe and its pilot was Greg's failed Beach City concert, and by then we can start with slice-of-life episodes with the occasional exposition about the Crystal Gems and some action involving them travelling around the world and fighting mutants, all while hearing stories from Rose herself about the reasons behind her rebellion and development of ideals.

In my opinion, this would've been an excellent foundation for Steven Universe and fill in its gaps nicely. That way, the show doesn't have to be a mess and jump from dozens of Townie episodes, to a mini-arc relating to the Homeworld gems, back to dozens of Townie episodes, to exposition episode about Rose's past, and back to Townie episodes and repeating the process.

What do you think, Sup Forums?

shameless bump

I wouldve liked this. Just a chill show with greg, rose, townies and the gems with greg and rose having adventures, talking about roses past and leading up to steven being born

I only ever checked out the show after listening to Comet. Still my favorite song.

>better show if it was a sequel?
no the only way it would be better is if it were Nora's Universe and a shonen instead of some faggot beach life shit with a monster every 30 episodes

Exactly, and we would've enjoyed Beach City's Townies a whole lot better since the adults are arguably more entertaining than the likes of Sadie and Lars and Connie, and everyone would've loooved more Vidalia and her relationship with Greg.

Greg and Rose's episodes are popular because they're few and offer short glimpses into the past that contextualise the show. If they had to stand on their own they would likely run into the same writing problems we've seen in the current show

Fate/Zero is always better than Fate/Stay Night, because it doesn't have to establish the core setting.

Is this just a Greg appreciation thread?
Because I can so get behind that.

Yeah, you can do that I guess.

Hate to bring Sup Forums into this but I would have liked it if this 'Greg' show were like Clanad. Then SU would be like Clanad after story where both Rose and Steven die because I am sadistic fuck

Honestly I think I would have preferred to watch No Need For Greg

Well, I believe the show's current format of...

>12 Townie episodes
>1 Exposition episode about Rose's past
>12 more Townie episodes
>1 Story Progress episode
>repeat

... Would've worked better in a more casual and relaxed Greg Universe show since he isn't a warrior like the Crystal Gems, so he could meet the people in the new town he's residing in as well as learn more about why he left behind the DeMayo name, which means more Uncle Andy and more character progress. This would've fulfilled the human side of Steven Universe and give the writers a chance to focus on the gems more since Steven is a warrior like them, and thus we no longer have to crutch on dozens of Steven-Rose episodes that basically add to nothing.

Does anyone else find Greg kind of hot?
Young and old Greg?

>Would've Steven Universe been a better show if it was a sequel?
If it was a sequel everyone here would be complaining about how shitty it is and how it ruins the original series.

Old? No, but I can see it.
Young? Definitely.

I disagree. I mean, Steven will still be a bit of a preachy cry-a-lot, but he'll still mostly resemble his Season 1-self more than his preachy Townie episode-self, and there won't be any love triangles either and at least Steven won't job or suck at everything because he actually has a solid connection to his team.

Greg is great husband materiel
He's positive about life caring good with kids forgiving sweet and if I'm honest I think he's pretty sexy even if he is balding and fat.
I think Greg's the kind of man I would want in my late 40s

If they ever do a miniseries with this concept it could very well be one of the best things that the show's ever done, if not the best thing outright.

What if the entire show was Lars Universe and Lars was the main character and also a gem and his mom was Rose and he had sex with Amethyst who shapeshifted to look like Sadie if she weren't a dwarf and Sadie walked in on them?

That's a horrid concept, but knowing the writer's obsession with this asshole, they would've made that instead of Greg Universe if they ever decided to make a spin-off series.

I think everyone would watch a Greg Universe prequel/spinoff. Him getting to know the gems, him growing as a person as he gets his job and builds a life for himself in the small seaside town for the sake of being near the strange giant pink lady, who we learn more and more of.

I've been saying something to this effect for the past two years.

As much as I love SU episodes about pretty much anything before Steven was born, I think if Greg Universe or No Need for Greg or whatever were its own show successful enough to get its own sequel series, I would find Steven Universe to be the most bullshit fanfic-ish asspull they could do. If Rose Quartz were a beloved main character of a previously existing show, I'm pretty sure I'd be pissed as fuck to find out that she decided to stop existing in order to create a gem-human hybrid with Greg and leave Greg and the Crystal gems to raise it. This concept is a lot easier to swallow when being introduced to it from Steven's perspective in the first place.

>WHAT DO YOU FUCKING MEAN SHE JUST COMMITTED SUICIDE DURING THE TIMESKIP
>WHO'S THIS LITTLE ASSHOLE

>it's all Greg/Pearl/Rose relationship drama
Ugh. No thanks

Fucking lame

You just know if it existed, people would be shipping Vidalia and Greg and bitching about the merits of a cool human girlfriend and a softhearted alien warrior. Then you'd have people coming in and saying obvious Amethyst and Greg should get together because their immature lifestyles mesh. And then there'd be the folks claiming that Pearl is clearly sublimating her own attraction to him.

Come to think of it, that last one isn't far off from what some people actually think.

Well, after Greg and Rose realize how much they love each other and get married, how about the finale being the beach recording left for Steven to find in Lion?

Oh right, Lion, I forgot that he exists. Hell, I think the entire cast forgot he existed in the latest bomb and he's as rarely used as in S1 and S2...

>not shipping Greg/Barb
No Need For Greg is the best harem show I've never watched

Y'know, that would've been cool since Greg actually has great chemistry with all of the characters you mentioned, even with Pearl.

If we had that, it would've made Mr. Greg much sweeter.

Well the creation of Steven would work more as the finale. This would be after episodes and episodes of Rose learning about humans and hating her stagnant nature, intermingled with Greg and the gems telling her that it's much better to be as she is now than a human, and other factors involved.

It would, if done correctly, be a depressing culmination and 'competition' between the wants and desires of all the different characters. Without the hindsight we have now, I'd say this 'Rose suicide' dilemma could be the greatest question in this hypothetical show that people would be debating; 'will she die and become human or be satisfied with herself and understanding people?'

Then it could throw people in for a loop who think that, just because its a kids show, she'll learn to be happy with herself and not 'die' and then she decides to die anyways regardless of what other people tell her.

In a way it could be treated like a look at suicide and the pros and cons of leaving people behind as well as the thought processes behind the person involved.

Honestly now that I think about it, it sounds like a much better show already. In SU you can see what's going to happen eventually and there'd be less risks/chances of people dying. But in this show you could go all out with a bittersweet and ambiguous ending with no clear answers, which is my kind of show.

Yeah it'd be some really artsy bullshit, that's for sure.
I love artsy bullshit.

It would be interesting as a prequel.

Now that we got old Greg and glimpses of young one the curiosity is stimulated it would be nice to see Greg and his misadventures with young gems, young townies and the beginning of the endless romance.

That user expressed it eloquently, it's not bullshit, this would've been a good ending to the Greg Universe series if it ends with the VHS recording Greg and Rose made.

Everyone loves artsy bullshit to an extent. As long as it's not super fucking pretentious normie level garbage, I'm game.

pt. 2
Also, the asthetics of the show would fit nicely. While SU uses 80s vibe especially in music it would feel complete to see, hear it in its full bloom with yound Greg.
Also, just as others have said it would explain many things without unnecessary flashbacks or townie episodes.

Oh, I didn't mean it negatively, believe me.

It would probably be more interesting overall. Greg would be a much better protagonist and they could certainly do some creative things with it. I'd actually prefer it if this replaced steven entirely but some of the things from steven made it in.

I hear ya, I didn't interpret it as a negative comment, so no worries my friend.

Anyway, I actually love the idea of a Greg Universe General having shipping arguments where all the choices are as good as each other, so they have to formulate strongpoints on why GregxPearl is the superior ship of them all or something. I really would've liked that.

Most of the fandom hates Greg

Both young and old Greg are very sexy

Not from what I've seen, he's insanely popular and is considered the fan-favorite human of the show.

Fucking who?
How can you hate the best human in the show and one of the best dads on TV?

I'm more pissed they forgot about the barnies. When something big comes up and Lion isn't around to help, I just assume Steven can't control when Lion comes and goes and doesn't have him immediately on call in any way. But forgetting Lapis and Peridot isn't as easily excused.

Need for more Purico Greg

I have literally never seen dislike for Greg anywhere on the internet except for that one specific episode (House Guest).

I don't think a suicide metaphor works quite as well when the character involved is sacrificing their life literally to create their kid/their own reincarnation.

Personally I'd rather see the topic of accepting and choosing one's death addressed more like in some of the earlier concept stages of Over the Garden Wall.

But that wouldn't work, a major part of their relationship was that Greg never asked about Rose's past and Rose never talked about it.

Greg is only popular because he gets such little screen time compared to mental midget Steven. If the show focused on him and highlighted all his issues, we'd all talk about how his soon Steven would've been much cooler with his powers and yadda yaddda.

>I don't think a suicide metaphor works quite as well when the character involved is sacrificing their life literally to create their kid/their own reincarnation.

Well compared to most humans Rose had a much greater choice in whether or not she should/could have a kid. It wasn't an accident that was just thrust upon her, forcing her to carry/become Steven. It was a conscious decision of 'I'm going to end myself and make something out of it' because clearly she understood that she would be gone and that she didn't have to make a kid. It was more of a form of escaping her static existence than of sacrificing herself for 'the greater good'. It was a personal decision not prompted by necessity but rather a desire to not 'be' anymore. Sure it was a sacrifice, but not one that was good for any of the parties involved. If anything it was a rash decision, relative to a gem's lifespan, with very little forethought.

>Personally I'd rather see the topic of accepting and choosing one's death addressed more like in some of the earlier concept stages of Over the Garden Wall

I'd agree with that to an extent. Over the Garden Wall would have a better atmosphere, setting, and tone to address and discuss death. Heck with the skeleton village there could have been a lot of different possibilities.

I think the greg flashback episodes work specifically because its a flash back. While I enjoy them I feel like it would get relatively old fast as a whole series. That and it seems like greg avoided a lot of the magic crap so it wouldnt have much material

>Well compared to most humans Rose had a much greater choice in whether or not she should/could have a kid. It wasn't an accident that was just thrust upon her, forcing her to carry Steven.

I really want to believe that this isn't how most humans are conceived.

Y'know how people keep whining about birthrates declining?

Nobody ever wants kids. Nobody ever DID want kids. We just have the ability to fuck without having them now and we didn't in the past.

I really didn't mean to imply that with those sentences and should have made a distinction between them.

But what I mean is Rose has near total control of her body. Many humans need help, have kids unintentionally, can't have children at all, or have to keep trying before they can actually succeed without a miscarriage.

Of course we have no way of knowing how many times they tried but I assumed that they were successful with creating Steven on the first go.

Unlike Steven Universe, I don't think they need to focus on Greg all the time and we can have a change of pace with Gem War-era monuments being visited and the Crystal Gems capturing mutants, no need to drag Greg along everywhere unless if needed.

bump

Greg knows enough to have gotten some exposition at some point. I'm pretty sure he was at least aware of the fact she shattered Pink Diamond.

It hasn't been said whether or not he does. He's not ignorant of things--he knew Ruby and Sapphire, he knew the Gems were aliens, he knew there was an ancient war and Rose was conflicted internally about it--but the extent of what he knows isn't fully revealed and perhaps not even fully defined at this point.

Only ones who hate Greg are pearlfags

Pearl fags don't exist

Not all Pearlfags, but the Pearl-apologists who excuse all her moaping and crying, especially after nearly killing Steven when she tried to go to space, will argue day and night for their perfect waifu even if she's in the wrong.