Dungeons and Dragons?

does someone know where i can download pdf versions of the latest dungeons and dragons 5th ?

i just cant afford the rulebooks

think you meant to ask /tg/ bud, /5eg/ should have em.

how do you confuse Sup Forums for /tg

Hey buddy i think you got the wrong board, is two blocks down

literally /5eg/ in /tg/ you idiot

Still fucking furious about John Roger's D&D series.

You check out the Legends of Baldur's Gate run? Pretty fun stuff.

D&D comics thread I guess?

THESE WOUNDS, THEY WILL, NOT HEEAAAAL

Is 5e a good edition for newbies?

Does it include Fell's Five going on a pirate adventure?

Yes.
It's boring for everyone else though.

1st edition grognard here, it's a good edition for any skill/experience level.
the severely autistic will want Pathfinder tho.

Pretty beginner friendly, yeah. Not really played much of it, I still run 3.5 stuff.

Nope, but it's good nostalgia for the old BG games. Minsc in any medium always makes me smile.

Post better fantasy comic-book. Protip: you can't.

It's great for beginners. I'm personally more of a 3.5/Pathfinder fan simply because it has more options mechanically, but both have their own unique strengths.

Dwarves a shit

This is the ONLY related D&D thing I've dealt with.

>WELCOME TO THE D&D WORLD.

ahem.

>Sup Forumsnrad takes off his mask revealing that underneath, he has secretly been /tg/ this whole time
WHAAAAAAT

>playing D&D in 2017
> not playing a glorious, waifu laden clone

Such plebs.

>Elves

Sup Forums is elf territory bro

Eh, lotta Sup Forumsmrades are fa/tg/uys and vice versa. Only two boards I spend any time on.

>/tg/ walks in, pulls at his face, revealing that it was in fact a mask, and he was secretly Sup Forumsnrad the whole time!

>he doesn't believe in elven superiority

vast improvement over 4th, which was too simplistic IMO. 5th is simple but fun.

easy!

>4th
>too simplistic
>somehow moreso than 5e
Well I guess now I've heard every possible complaint

5e is a simplified 3.5e
4e wasn't even D&D

Not OP, I usually have /tg/ and Sup Forums open. I honestly get confused which thread I'm looking at sometimes considering Aku posting.

Well /tg/ and Sup Forums are my mains too, there's a lot of crossover between nerd hobbies.

Yea it was better

To try to make this thread Sup Forums related.

What are some good fantasy webcomics/comics/cartoons?

That's just like your opinion man

Anyone have the materials to storytime Fells Five?

Harpy Gee

5e is terrible, but in a safe, familiar way that fills people with warm nostalgia. It's the latest edition though so you might as well play it.

pic related

try torrents. There is a compendium of 5th edition stuff. Also there is a compendium of World of Darkness new and old if you are interested.

if you are new to RPGs, you better try something easier.

There are rulesets of one page like ultramicrolittle or d6 zombie rpg.

They are free, they can help you test the waters and then try something different.

If you want to be a hipster try Pathfinder or the 13th Age.

not fantasy but Brave Little Bolter is kino

Shit, how are you that retarded? I know this thread was started in retarded confusion, but you don't need to keep that theme running.

Is this your first exposure to 4e?

Please, alleviate my confusion. How is 4e simple compared to 5e?
And "they just made everyone casters!" isn't a legitimate answer

IMO it wasn't so much the rules but the way they pushed it to be played. movement was in squares, abilities were cards. It felt more like a board game

And now 5e avoids grids and tactical combat altogether and literally sells you spellcards.
They pulled the wool over your eyes user; they dumbed down the game even more and are expecting you to gobble it up.

And you did.

I think the term you're looking for is 'Pedantic'

It was fucking annoying to play in person, as annoying as 2nd edition in that regard but at least in 2nd it wasnt all about minatures and battlemaps and shit. also in 3rd/4th the rules weren't balanced enough so you could murderhobo like crazy if you knew the game well enough.

k

>5e avoids grids and tactical combat altogether
Every single campaign book they sell comes with tons of tactical 5' grid maps

>Confused your own limitations with anybody else's.

Grognards don't care that 5e requires minis and grids; all they care about is that the game TELLS them it doesn't, because they think 4e invented those instead of it being the default assumption of the game since forever. They read "minis & grids are optional," grunt in satisfaction, and then play with minis and grids anyway because the game doesn't actually fucking work without them.

I use bottle caps and candy instead of miniatures, personally
if I need a large creature it's an oreo
if I need a huge creature it typically ends up being an oreo spaced on the corners so as to take up 3x3
Bigger than that usually ends up as a coke can

Yeah, I was kinda confused over all the hatred for 4e's grids and minis approach. That's how my group always played before 4e and it's how we still play after 4e. Really, the only difference between playing 4e and 5e for my group is that now casters have more options and non-casters have less options, except they still have more options than 3.5e without having to dig into a metric fuckton of supplements.

I do prefer 5e to 4e for being closer to what I'd consider D&D vs. the more board game/video game-y ness of 4e, but 4e was still fun for what it was and of all the complaints I have for 4e, the "you must use boards/mats/minis" element was never one of them. I mean shit, do people just not use mats or physical representation for fights? How do you deal with shit like distance and movement speeds without them?

Sadly no, but it has Jim Zub writing swords and sorcery shenanigans again for those of us that missed Skullkickers.

I never use grids and if I use a map it's a vague idea. I prefer the battles to exist in the minds of the players and for them to approach it more free form. Distances can be fudge for narrative. I always found it easier to do when you talk about feet or meter rather than spaces.

see

I'M BEING UNNECESSARILY DRAMATIC HERE
I MEAN COME ON THAT'S LIKE OUR THING

Why do you cause me so much pain with your pics user?

But yah best fantasy comic imo

>the more board game/video game-y ness of 4e
What does this shit even mean? Video game rpgs were modeled off ttrpgs. You're basically saying the game is too much like the game, it makes no sense.
>I mean shit, do people just not use mats or physical representation for fights? How do you deal with shit like distance and movement speeds without them?
You estimate.
>Fred it'll take you two movements to get there
>Bob you're a monk so it'll only take you one
>Jeff your spell can hit three guys because they're close together
It waters down things reliant on particulars, but they mostly still work
Theater of the mind is bullshit and leads to too many inconsistencies and re-explaining of what's happening, but some DMs swear by it and would sooner die than pull out a mat. Besides, most players are plebs that never understood the rules that much in the first place anyway. Honeslty half the time I get the feeling people just want to be playing a simpler game than what D&D provides.

Lego men are the best PC minis.

That's fine and all, but the game itself fights you every step of the way by insisting on listing everything in specific 5 foot increments. If they really wanted Theatre of the Mind they should've gone with a close/mid/long approach to ranges.

>Theater of the mind is bullshit and leads to too many inconsistencies and re-explaining of what's happening, but some DMs swear by it and would sooner die than pull out a mat. Besides, most players are plebs that never understood the rules that much in the first place anyway. Honeslty half the time I get the feeling people just want to be playing a simpler game than what D&D provides.

I've never heard that there was a requirement for using all of the rules all of the time, some people just like having some beers, killing some goblins and rolling dice.

Haha, I'm glad you asked...the answer is no, not since the computer with that particular hard-drive blew up.

>they should've gone with a close/mid/long approach to ranges.
They would never change the game that much, because then grognards would scream "NOT MUH D&D" like they did with 4e and it's squares

Very good, it's also become my favorite edition in general but it's excellent for noobs. You can make a character and get started crazy fast and several mechanics have been streamlined in ways that don't feel dumbed down.

>I get the feeling people just want to be playing a simpler game than what D&D provides.
I mean, I've never once enforced weight/inventory limit rules on my players because I can't be fucked with dealing with the minutia of different weights and neither can they. I just give my players a bag of holding at level 1 and call it a day, only stopping them from abusing it.

If some don't want use the rules of a game, why don't some play a game built for their rules-lite preferences?
>half the time I get the feeling people just want to be playing a simpler game than what D&D provides.

After playing 5e i don't care for 3.5/Pathfinder anymore. My other DM just started a 3.5 campaign and I'm like "OMG what are all these rules! Let's just role play for fuck sake!"

yeah, most DMs ignore certain rules to make the game smoother. But every DM ignores different ones. That's what nice, you can change the game to suit your need. I ignore weight rules for the most part too, but if someone starts to abuse it, I will do something about it (make them count the weight to be a dick or just say they have to drop some stuff). The books explicitly encourage this too.

cause they are there for when you need them. take the example we are using for weight encumbrance. A DM can ignore them on land, but if the party suddenly has a part in the game that they need to go into a river or some sort of water you can implement the rules and force the party to drop stuff. D&D is a fairly modular system and certain things can be added and subtracted without breaking the game.

After playing 5E I'd rather play any other edition of D&D than it. Nothing in it even comes close to the amount of fun I had playing with stuff like ToB or Binders, it's not tactically interesting on any level like 4E is, and it's far shittier at running gritty games than any pre-3E edition.

Nobody uses encumbrance rules, because they're bad rules. Though it does make thiungfs like Goliath and bear total bonuses complete non-features. But then again, no one cares.

It's the best edition for newfags since before 2nd, really.

>mistake Sup Forums for /tg/
>mistake /tg/ for /r/
>so shit at tg, you cant find things that are in literally every applicable thread

ah, I miss the jewelry outfits

5e works fine without minis as long as you don't load up on forced movement abilities. It's a lot easier to play without minis than 3rd edition ever was.