So, can we all agree that he is just a very lucky talentless hack?

So, can we all agree that he is just a very lucky talentless hack?

No. He's got talent, he's just fucking autistic.

No. He has a lot of talent but he's also retarded. Most of the good decisions in the OT were done by him.

No he has talent, but without his (ex) wife to temper his batshit crazy ideas, he is basically a walking diabeetus

No.

Why is he talented?

He can create universes and characters well he just can't write or make movies unless there are people around him telling him what not to do.

>he's talented
>always taking credit for others
>never made a good movie by himself
>"h-he's talented guise"

go away mouseshill. we unironically love George now and miss him dearly

He brought together an amazing mythos and crafted the first sci fi with a lived in aesthetic that felt real after infinite serials about flash gordon and other jagoffs. He revitalized science fiction.

He had some interesting ideas, but they only worked when he had more talented friends to polish them.

He wasn't lucky, per se, he just had good friends

meant that for op. I have no problem with you senpai

>go away mouseshill. we unironically love George now and miss him dearly

>Star Wars
>Indiana Jones
>American Graffiti

Yeah, "luck".

fuck no he was obviously insanely talented on the creative but I think his true genius was always the marketing side. i mean if you ever hear him give an interview where hes talking about out-jewing the jews he just lights up and you can tell he really relished it way more than directing for example.

>He can create universes and characters well
Yeah, anyone can do this.
5 year olds have imaginations as wild as Lucas'. What's your point?

Goeroge is a creative genius and an average filmmaker. His imagination writes cheques his craft can't cash.
And slight autism.

>Howard the Duck

No, he's a very unlucky, misunderstood genius.

Does this ranking make me a pleb?

V>IV>III>VI>VII>RO>VIII>II>I

Begone shill

Not an argument.
Oh, and 5 rubles have been deposited in your russian bank account.

>star wars
>saved by his wife, Lawrence Kasdan and other really talented people

>indiana jones
>saved by spielberg

>american grafitti
>done all by himself, shit

He also made the prequels all by himself and had a lot of creative control over KotCS, which ended up being shitty

Don't forget he also wrote Willow

Yes.

Note that I haven't seen the Disney movies, but anyone with taste will tell you that V and VI are the worst Star Wars films.

Yeah. The only movie worse than VIII is II.

Go ahead and just make the most recognizable series on the planet, then. It's easy, right?

This. Lucas just went crazy because he had everything at his fingertips with prequels. He spent 30 years without the freedom he wanted and then when he had it, he didn't know what to do. But as you watch each prequel movie they get better and better. Once he chilled out they became more enjoyable. I honestly think Ep3 was almost back to a good star wars like the originals and much better than the new shitty Disney garbage.

he got very lucky... the basis of starwars is lame as fuck, the only reason it got so popular was because:
>the weapons designs
he had nothing to do with this, he just put 'laser gun', 'laser sword'
>the ship designs
again, nothing to do with this
>masks designs
NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS
>musical score
NO T H I N G TO D O WTIH THIS

starwars is NOTHING without that stuff, and lucas had NOTHING to do with it

he's a fucking hack fraud who got insanely lucky by meeting the right string of people at the right time in history

if you read into the history of star wars, you'll find out that lucas started writing it about fucking DROIDS....and then from there he improved upon it thanks to learning about Joseph Campbell and the hero's journey.

OT is actually not very complex, here are the basic elements:
the protagonist vs the antagonist
the mcguffin device (death star plans)
the father-figure mentor
the love-interest (leia)
the supporting characters (han, droids)
the doomsday device (death star)

it's the same shit over and over again.

in the prequels he tried to make the story more complex, and less reliant on this basic heros journey shit, by introducing all that trade federation vs. republic political garbage.

now that the dust has settled, and now that i'm a fucking 30 year old adult instead of a 10-12 year old when i first saw star wars, i can finally see it as a very shallow universe, at least in regards to the movies.

and if you reply to me saying, well there's more fleshed out in the EU and games, well, so what, it's just the same shit over and over again (good vs. evil, different alien races fighting each other, different factions, sith vs. jedi, etc.)

yep. didn't mcquarrie do a lot of the designs.

see my poast under. lucas would've made star wars all about droids, if not for joe campbel..

also look at "The christmas special" to see what kind of garbage star wars is.

>it was all Lucas he did it all
Nope.
Try again, retard.

>executive producer
and?

>III>VI
this meme needs to die

Movie making is a team effort. Directors get too much credit and too much blame.

That said, Lucas is/was talented and innovative, but is a poor filmmaker and really needed somebody to reign him in.

Disney has gone the wrong direction and just copies all the old shit while having no inventiveness of their own.

Every single movie is a collaborative process, you're not clever by pointing out he had help.

>attempting to critique kiñémä with literary devices
HOWLING

You fundamentally misunderstand film as an artform.
This is a better post, but his most aesthetically superior films are also those of which he held the highest degree of direct control over.

>he had help
>other people made everything that is memorable and notable about star wars
lol ok

>>musical score
>NO T H I N G TO D O WTIH THIS
Not true at all. John Williams scored it very near to the temp that Lucas edited together. The creative spark of Star Wars music was Lucas, John Williams fulfilled it.

The prequels proved he's nothing without people like Marcia and Kasdan around.

Oh, so you concede that Lucas isn't some miracle worker genius now?
Glad we're on the same page then.

>no collaborators
>results in his sixth, second and third best films respectively
What did he mean by this?

>sorting and ranking trash in a garbage dump
lmao sad

>AOTC
>RotS
>trash
As expected from a Star Wars fan.

>le ebin "prequels were good meme"

Star Wars fans are like sand...

the prequels literally did nothing wrong, they were great movies

Not merely good, but great art. George Lucas is the Griffith of the digital era.

Yes, we can. Also, he's a slut. Everything he does is for the shekels. Even in OT he was already shoehorning ewoks just to sell teddy bears for kids. I bet he would suck a cock for $5

If anyone can do it then what's stopping you?

yes

I always laugh when people call kasdan talented

Kill yourself.

He's not a talentless hack, he just needs a check on his ideas.

>forgetting his actual masterpiece

This is the thing, the original films were far from technical masterpieces, the storyline is as old as Japan and the production values in the first film are pretty shitty. He got lucky.

He read this book and added revolutionary special effects and decent editing (Lucas is genuinely talented in those two areas). He should not be allowed near a director's chair, though. The movies stood the test of time because of John Williams' music.

>He got lucky.
Another thing that some people may not realize subconsciously is that all of the OT movies were released during the Disco Era, which coincided with the height of recreational cocaine use in the US and many other parts of the world. Drugs + Star Wars? Hmmm?

“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

Team members involved in the decision to not use these ridiculous Darth titles could not be reached for comment, but three LucasArts employees believe an excuse was made to push the Darth title to the sequel. By the time development on that title commenced, the names were long forgotten by Lucas and weren’t muttered by the development team again.

r8 my ranking

V>IV>VII>VIII>VI>III>II>I

>If anyone can do it then what's stopping you?
If you watch bonus materials for what Lucas went through when he made the first Star Wars, or also Spielberg when he made Jaws, they both had nervous breakdowns and almost went nuts. No thanks.

>Star Wars fans are like sand...
They're a bunch of boobs?

>and decent editing (Lucas is genuinely talented in those two areas).
Yea, Marcia Lucas was a good editor

>Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’
Devil's Advocate analysis:
>Sith name idea presented
>Lucas secfetly hates it, most likely simply because it was not his idea
>Gives the team an "illusion of democracy" choice between two names, which he made terrible on purpose to kill off the discussion

obviously

>alternatively
he's autistic

>Darth Icky
>Darth Insanius

Cringe. And I thought Darth "Tyrannus" was bad.

Normalfag pleb with absolutely zero (0) understand of kino as an art form.

he literally wanted to call luke "starkiller". of course he's autistic

cheque'd

>be aspiring filmmaker
>want to make movies about cars, WW2, and flash gordon space opera
>one becomes so popular it consumes entire career, killing your other passion projects and sapping your enjoyment of filmmaking
>pressured into making 3 more, can't bare to finish last 3
>sell IP for billions, hoping to let a corporation take on the burden instead of saddling this on somebody else
>watch corporation destroy everything you've wasted your career building
>twas all for naught

At least he's rich, right?

His original trilogy and original Indiana Jones films were actually great entertainment!

Why is the Sequel trilogy so horrible then in terms of the universe and characters?

no, lucas sucks.

darth sanius is not bad, given vader and sidious

thx 1138 is very good though

he found the time to make howard the duck and red tail, he surely could've made all the films he wanted to

This guy started out with nothing and is now worth 4.1 BILLION dollars.

Why do you guys hate on him when he is an inspiration and perfect example of the American Dream being realized?

You do remember he came out with excellent films such as American Graffiti and Indiana Jones too? He isn't a talentless, one hit wonder.

"I let my haters be my motivators" - George Lucas