How come Western Animation has so much ugly in it?

Really how come?

American animation*
Because americans are ugly

With freedom comes failure, and you should not expect otherwise. A culture that fears failure more than it yearns for success will lock itself into a single state of immovable status quo. This is the greatness of America.
Look at this map, that I just found. This is freedom of artistic design. You would be hard pressed to find the same in Anime.

I think SU is actually one of the better ones - the characters' variable size and the QUALITY is horrible though.
But uglyness was basically one of the main reasons why I completely switched to anime in the 90s and 00s, or however that decade is called.

>SU
>better

most anime people talk about are late-night anime
you know, for adults

There's plenty of fanservice in cartoons with a more mature rating

>jumping to fanservice

Because the industry has a lot of fat girls and weird nerds in positions of influence.

It's called the new Calarts.

Don't forget the non-Whites in the West. And not good looking ones either.

I see. I just thought people wanted to talk about something other than the quality of awful children's cartoons.

you know, like adults.

That is hideous. Absolutely hideous.

Because it's easy for SJWs with no talent to animate in this style.

maryland made boondocks? fuck yes something actually good came out of that state that wasn't seafood.

Fatties and Shaniquas.

Western animation? SU s made by a fucking (((gem)))

You complain too much. Get off this board.

This map depicts the in-world setting, but the creator, Aaron McGruder, did go to the University of Maryland.

but Pearl and Garnet are the hot ones

Steven Universe is clearly in Maryland, not Delaware. They show the sun setting over the water which means beach city would have to be facing the Chesapeake bay, not the ocean.

>tumblr

needs the simpsons in a circle off to the side with "???" under it

laziness

SU's designs aren't really that bad aesthetically, Sugar's just a lame artist most of the time, at least her SU stuff is, the best stuff I've seen from her is Pug Davis but even that was crapped up by her weird stylistic choice to make everyone wonky.

SU can look great when it wants to.

Problem is the skill set between the crew is so wildly uneven, you an clearly tell which shots have effort put into it and which are just "flat sitcom whatever deadline" angles.

>SU can look great when it wants to.
Pic unrelated?

Wanna elaborate why it looks bad without using the words SJW, pandering, CalArts, or saying that "too much pink" is an objective bad artistic choice?

explain

Not that guy but there's nothing about that shot that looks "great." It's not shit, but it is pretty cheap and flat. Her extended glove tapers like it's going outwards horizontally rather than forwards, and her other arm is just cut off lazily. There's no consistent line of action and the balance is too strong between the two sides size-wise to be a captivating shot. And yeah, pink may be a bad choice for this shot considering the song nature. Color should evoke feelings and meanings and Yellow's trying to be cold even if she does still have feelings over Pink. So there should be a spark of pink but not even close to this much glow. Especially since this is supposed to be where Yellow locked up all the Rose's. Their prison shouldn't be color-coordinated to match them, and the light shouldn't be that strong either since the Gems' own bubble room doesn't have that strong lighting either.

My state is cartoonless, can anyone think of anything that took place in Alabama?

>there's no consistent line of action
Fucking this. Almost every modern cartoon screws this up. A consistent line of action in the figures of a scene is the key to making not only animation, but any composition look good. Complaining about the colors, anatomy, shapes, line weights, design choices, etc. is fine, but the character's basic lines of action are fucked.

>tfw your state isn't interesting enough to be a fictional setting

But too much pink is a valid criticism, user

Where is the color contrast? The characters do not stand out against the environment, there is no use of warm vs cold, it's just a mishmash of unicorn vomit

You guys are retarded literally looking for imaginary problems to nitpick about.

The line of action is subtle but it's there.

It's the dark blue that helps bring the focus to the character's faces.

You would only have a point if the sky was pink, too.

You don't know how lines of action work, retard.

And you think every single pose is going to have a dramatic line of action just because the examples you used were "punching" and "hammering".

By your own logic, this picture also lacks line of action and is shit.

No, the faces mesh in with everything around them, including the design of the characters themselves. Furthermore those pink pillars are incredibly distracting and detract from whatever contrast the sky is supposed to provide for the characters.

you're a little old to be afraid of a boogeyman, aren't you?

I wasn't that user. I was just pointing out how retarded you're being for misunderstanding what a line of action actually is.

And yet, you can't refute my point about the T&J not having "line of action".

You think The Illusionist is shit too because they don't have Looney Tune levels of curves during motion?

>ugly
Eh, I'd probably fuck all the gems except Steven and Jasper

I took the liberty to draw up a more accurate line of action.

>t. Nigger

>line of action
lol you're literally just throwing around a random animation phrase you saw once

Where's the line of action?

GOD! Western Animation is such a shit show!