The Legends canon is a mess and Disney was totally right to trash it and make inferior new movies that steal ideas from...

>The Legends canon is a mess and Disney was totally right to trash it and make inferior new movies that steal ideas from the Legends canon but make them terrible instead of just adapting stories from the Legends canon which is what people wanted to see!

No it isn't.

Other urls found in this thread:

variety.com/2015/film/news/marvels-merchandise-plan-for-avengers-age-of-ultron-make-the-big-bigger-1201449832/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>what
what

What?

They were right to trash the old canon, but they pretty much immediately fell into easy pitfalls and made a lot of the same mistakes. Theres also a lot of poor quality stuff already, just take a look at the latest few issues of the Marvel comic that's just called "Star Wars".

Well what do you expect with an unoriginal name like that?

No, you're gay

The old canon probably did need to go, but I'm frankly astounded at the speed at which the new canon has gone to shit. With the old EU we're talking about decades and decades of novels, video games, comic books, and animated cartoons, and it took all those decades for the various inconsistencies and contradictions to fray the universe. With the new EU it's literally only been around about five years and it's already hit the lowest lows of the old EU, it hasn't hit the highest highs, and it's got some huge inconsistencies, despite Disney claiming that they'd keep things smooth this time.

I rather have Yuzahn Vong rather than what Kennedy and the gang shat out at this point

what its the point of the straps?

The old EU has a lot of fucking problems like how Veers is just unceremoniously killed off by some random faggot's orders years after the Hoth battle. There's a lot of dumb shit. Of course there's a lot of dumb shit happening in nun star wars and I imagine with all the DIVERSITY and INCLUSIVENESS it's just going to be an even shittier EU.

Jaina was such a qt.

qt twins

YUP!

>we could had a cute girl daughter of Han and Leia protagonist
>instead we get some random nobody

>I imagine with all the DIVERSITY and INCLUSIVENESS it's just going to be an even shittier EU.
As much as I hate boogeymanning this stuff I can't deny that you may be kind of right in this case. I haven't read any of the books yet but I can't help them notice mentioning stuff like having "the first canonically gay character in Star Wars" and I just feel like it's going to be a slippery slope from there.

>Trash the old canon because it's bad
>Guys let's make han solo's kid the bad guy
>Oh shit they did that
>Ok ok ok, it'll be different if we change why he goes bad and make it even stupider
>Change his name too
>Name change literally makes no fucking sense whatsoever
>guys we fucked up, what's his entire objective as a character now?
>Somehow this retarded character becomes the saving grace of the series
Yeah they probably should have just kept the legends story because it was better

I liked the video game stories like Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy
But what's the point of movies where you know everything that going to happen, they should have thrashed most of the EU that takes place after return of the Jedi anyways
Most of that shit wasn't written by Lucas
Ultimately Star Wars can only be Lucas's story
Obviously he needs help writing the stories and perhaps shouldn't have full control
But it would be like if the Beatles made a new album with all new members because they sold it to Disney, what's the point? It's not the original song writers, it's just some cooperation trying to copy the old shit for money

That's why the spinoff movies have the potential to be exciting. All bets are off and you don't know what's going to happen.

it just blows my mind how much better he was as a character than Kylo Ren. He had the only good arc into the NJO era.

I want a good fucking story, not a lottery ticket.

>I haven't read any of the books yet
Fuck off.

But like the Beatles, George got old and started making garbage because he no longer took risks and had nothing to strive for because he had already made it, a very common problem for successful artists. He also had a kid which usually ruins creative people.

>They change his name
I just realized Ben Solo is actually a really weird name for their kid

It is. Leia knew Kenobi for all of twelve seconds, and Han spent the entire time with the old man shittalking him. Ben would make perfect sense if Luke named him, but Leia would probably prefer the name of her adoptive father - Bail Prestor Organa - who died on Alderaan.

Furthermore, only Luke referred to Kenobi as 'Ben'. Leia knew him as Obi-Wan, not Ben.

No, you don't understand. It's a lottery ticket that could possibly get you a good fucking story.

Maybe Luke did name him in a 'godfather' style deal. Stranger things have happened.

O Grand Disney EU Master, which of these wonderful books should I read first?

Sure, if that's the explanation, but I don't really see why Leia would agree on that. Most women - particularly 'strong independent women' like Leia - would probably have in mind a name for their firstborn all on their own.

Bail would have been a better name. And probably more symbolic too, given that Kylo Ren idolizes his real grandfather and not the 'fake' one that his mother would wish him to be like.

Thats what ive always said. I think in preproduction kylo was planned to be lukes son but they switched it since we didn't see luke banging anyone at the end of jedi

It's one of those names that you can tell only happened because of Disney and not because it made any sense in the universe. The average normie isn't going to know the name Bail, even though he is in the movies (just like they wouldn't know the names Mon Mothma or Crix Madine). But they would know Ben. Case in point, my parents are exactly those kinds of people and they still immediately knew what "Ben" was referring to.

Jaina played by Ana de Armas would have been fantastic!

A fun twist would have been that Kylo and Rey were switched at birth.

>Stranger things have happened.
I just realized this is where the title "Stranger Things" comes from.

Nice revelation, Satan.

You try telling your sisters to name one of their kids after that buddy of yours and see how well it works. If they were gonna rip off jacen, they should have just fucking named him Anakin instead. At least that would have made sense and further explain his nerd boner for his grandad, but alas that would require thinking and the creative department of these folks are devoid of that

I don't think it really needed to go. While a lot of it was shit for sure, I did like how they had a fairly consistent galactic history for millenia, and how detailed the worldbuilding was. I think a better option would be to scrap a part of the EU (Yuuzhan Vong or something) and replace it with a plot of their creation. There would already be a story in place of Luke up to that point, and the flushed out world would at least ensure that there aren't any lose ends to tie up in the history of the galaxy from episode six to seven.

Of course that wouldn't give them the ability to rebuild the entire EU as a corporate cash grab, but if they wanted to do that I think they could have even scrapped all the EU after ROTJ. Most of the actual good stories came before that anyway, and it would give them plenty of material to make about that time period.

It's extremely disturbing when Star Wars Rebels, a fucking children's cartoon, is the only place where the EU is being used and used correctly.

>Of course that wouldn't give them the ability to rebuild the entire EU as a corporate cash grab
I still don't understand how anyone could think this would make them money. I'm not saying your logic is wrong, I just don't get their reasoning here.

If anything, me and my large disposable income have been shut off to Star Wars forever.

Yeah too bad everything looks like it's made out of plastic. For all the complaints about "PS2 tier" CGI in movies, Rebels ACTUALLY looks like a PS2 game.

>I still don't understand how anyone could think this would make them money. I'm not saying your logic is wrong, I just don't get their reasoning here.

It's likely that every author that touched the EU has some sort of royalty check contract - something that was not agreed upon by Disney, but to which Disney is still bound to - and thus Disney decided to completely scrap the entire EU so they could remake it in their own image.

Because you already own most of the material. Plebs however do not. So we gotta make them a book where the tie fighter wobbles herkily jerkily...

It only looks bad to modern eyes. I won't call Rebels an absolute work of art - it has its flaws, not least of which it's a fucking childrens show with childrens show plots - but it has a style and it sticks to it without looking too wonky or going overbudget. I've had to put up with far worse in my time.

But, when it comes to the EU, Rebels is still the only current Star Wars media taking advantage of it. To the point where it feels like it's completely out of step with the new trilogy (which one could call bad, in a way, or very good) and is instead a continuation of the EU itself. Dave Filoni is an absolute madman, but he should be the one in charge of Lucasfilm. He actually gives a shit about the franchise as a whole - and is taking advantage of Disney's reset button to remake the EU without the shitty stupid parts.

They're parachute rigging.

But people would buy that material regardless. That's like telling me you have a ten-volume series, but I should ignore the other nine and buy the last one. It makes no sense. The only thing I can think of is that JJ might've complained about being constricted creatively and they chose to placate the man with the cash cow in their hands.

They can still reverse it too. I would pay for new Legends works, but I won't touch the new shit. Maybe it's just a corporate wide policy since Marvel destroyed their alternative universes too.

Lucasfilm isn't retarded. They own the rights and whatnot for everything in the EU. Besides, a new writer would get royalties for their work regardless.

>Besides, a new writer would get royalties for their work regardless.

They would, and through a contract that Disney lawyers approve. Would you rather live by a deal someone else made, or one you made?

Dumb shit like canon is what's killing film.

Well, with that description I ought to try it at some point. I am pretty curious that one character seems to have red Mandalorian armor or something and is a girl? I think that's pretty cool because a girl Boba Fett is pretty sexy.

They're not going to throw away a multi-billion dollar work because they wanted to write their own contracts. Lucasfilm wasn't some hayseed company contracting the likes of Stephen King, they were a media juggernaut working with nobodies working on the cheap. At no point has your theory ever been supported by the flimsiest of evidence, except the random speculation of message boards by people whose closet interaction with Hollywood was the weekend they spent at Disneyland.

>Dave Filoni is an absolute madman, but he should be the one in charge of Lucasfilm. He actually gives a shit about the franchise as a whole - and is taking advantage of Disney's reset button to remake the EU without the shitty stupid parts.
I'm legitimately interested in what's going to happen to Kennedy once this movie's cycle is over. When Age of Ultron made 100m less than the first Avengers, Disney ended up splitting Marvel Studios from Marvel Comics cause it ended up Ike's creative committee was cocking up Feige's work. Wonder if they'll pull something similar

There's no outcome that isn't bad. Nothing good happens when you try to fire the queen bee after giving her free reign the past several years to hire an army of her rabid minions

What specifically made Age of Ultron do so poorly?

100m less than the first film really isn't that poorly, they were just pissed it was less. That's the best part about the upcoming fallout

Poorly in what sense? Financially, it made 100m less than the first Avengers, so it was like 1.5b vs 1.4b. The way I see it, it didn't have the draw the first one did of "the first time you ever see a team up like this EVER". Which is also why Justice League shat the bed financially. Avengers was a one and done deal.

Creatively, Whedon is a fucking retard.

That's kind of a silly reaction then, isn't it? I can't think of many sequels that have actually done better than the original, because the people who watched but didn't like the first one don't end up bothering with the sequel.

>I can't think of many sequels that have actually done better than the original, because the people who watched but didn't like the first one don't end up bothering with the sequel.
Every other MCU movie EXCEPT AoU. That's why they were mad. IM3 made more than IM2 which made more than IM1. Thor 2 made more than Thor 1, Cap 2 made more than Cap 1. Then AoU comes out and makes less than the first one. And post AoU, Cap 3 made more than Cap 2 and Cap 1, Thor 3 made more than Thor 2 and Thor 1, GotG2 made more than GotG1, so you can see how they'd be disappointed.

>shilling for Rebels
Jesus Christ.

*Rebels takes off into the distance*
Godspeed, Rebels.

But where does this stop? Surely profits and revenue will plateau or even drop sooner or later
And it's just fine for future releases to have lower sales just so it still makes a profit, right?

Is that supposed to be Jaina Solo?

I don't care eitherway because I honestly couldn't give a shit about any of the materials coming out of the Rebellion Era, New Republic Era, or First Order Era. EU is where it's at for me in terms of Star Wars, especially in regards to the pre-pre-Old Republic material (KOTOR Old Republic is lame diarrhea) of protosabers, dark side of the force is in it's infancy so Sith magic is all about incantations and ritual sacrifice, Ieldis, Sith Sorcerers/Warlords, leading to the Hundred Year Darkness, Jedi Scourge/Jedi Exiles, Karness Muur, and the Hyperspace Wars.

If you ask me, the EU was the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars. When I look at Star Wars as a whole, the franchise is like the Mount&Blade and Skyrim of cinematography: games that would be completely forgotten, forever nothing more than mediocre, or pieces of shit if it wasn't for constant reiterations and the modding community throughout the years keeping general interest and hype.

Yes, Kotobukiya did anime-style figures of her and Mara Jade for some reason and this is the art they're based on.

Why be happy having made 1.4b when you could have made 1.5b. Plus with sequels you get more investors involved since you can now go up to them with "well the last one made X amount, so we can totally make more this time around", so now you have to expect a higher ROI. Basically, Jews

Ticket sales aren't even the most important thing here (merchandise sales are). Disney went all-in on Age of Ultron and spent a ton of money on the hope that it would lead to a huge return on merchandise and bringing in new fans.

variety.com/2015/film/news/marvels-merchandise-plan-for-avengers-age-of-ultron-make-the-big-bigger-1201449832/

Instead it was a boring film panned by most people. The thing of it is that Perlmutter had been meddling in these films forever, much to the consternation of everyone else involved. When he failed to deliver on AoU, there wasn't anyone in his corner when Feige wanted him gone.

Well the Star Wars EU has been in a bit of a popularity decline for a while, and the universe has been mostly filled in on major events. They can't keep going with it or it'll get stale. If they really want to nail the fans in the wallets then they have to keep them interested. "What, you like Star Wars and want to see a universe full of canon worldbuilding? Well, now you have to buy our new series of comics and novels since all that other shit never happened!". More then the book deals I'm referring to movies/TV though. They can now make whole new series and franchises based on it without having to worry about continuity or people skipping it because they read the book.

Really I'm guessing they're taking a gamble that a whole bunch of new canon set in the modern galaxy is going to attract more people to the franchise without losing the core base of autistic fanboys. I don't know if it's a good option, but that's my guess.

I am so glad I recently discovered that books are so easy to just download off IRC. Hell, /lit/ has a sticky literally telling you how to pirate books. It's weird since that's not exactly legal, but I can't complain.

>since all that other shit never happened!
I think this is the one thing that has finally made me let go of star wars.
When I'm with my normie friends discussing Star Wars back then I'd chime in with some EU knowledge, but now, I don't, because I'm not that willing anymore to spend time and money on new disney canon shit.

The annoying part is I can no longer chime in with EU knowledge because these people are JUST informed enough to say "Isn't that non-canon bro?"

I'm not annoyed; they're not wrong.
It's only a mild inconvenience to unlearn everything I've read and played all those Star Wars stuff years back when I was a child and as a teen.

You see the hoops NuCanon has to jump through already to make sense?

They may be right but it's annoying because they wouldn't have cared about what is and isn't canon before Disney suddenly decided to declare everything "non-canon." I mean, technically it all still happened, just in a different universe. It's like an officially sanctioned "AU."

If you're going to try it, I'll warn you straight up: The first season has several absolutely awful episodes early on. Sup Forums could probably give you a recommended episode list. They used to do the same for Clone Wars. There are some standouts in season 1, but I really only started truly enjoying Rebels in Season 3 and 4.

Twin Suns is a particular standout, at least unless you're one of those people who doesn't get mad at the fact that Maul survived Phantom Menace.

Sorry, meant to reply to

I tried it when it first came out with their spinning lightsaber crap.

Never again.

Guess what's in Season 2 and not in Season 3 and 4.

>shilling
>when acknowledging flaws and the fact it is weighed down by generic kiddie show plots that lead nowhere

I'd never recommend buying it. In fact, I'd never recommend buying anything from Disney-Wars after TLJ. I enjoy parts of Rebels, especially the EU parts.

Nah, I'd rather not play that game.

Fair enough. I'd at least recommend the episode 'Twin Suns'.

Making the EU "non-canon" is mandatory, but changing the timeline entirely is not. There's a lot of good stuff in there along with the terrible paid fanfic. You can keep Zahn and dump Traviss.

Unfortunately, this is where money and politics enters the equation. They don't want to pay authors royalties or have them speak about the product publicly. They don't want to have their stories judged against books, or promote sales of things their company doesn't own entirely. They can't have JJ make vapid focus grouped fanservice if he needs to keep continuity with some canon or larger story. Most of all, Kennedy can't push her esoteric gender and race politics stuff using the canvas of 1980's nerd fanfic, which was as white as milk.

So for corporate convenience, they wiped it out entirely, and justified it in a way that looked credible from the outside, pointing to Luuke, Yuuzhan Vong, and other terrible shit to say it was all bad fanfic and non canon.

What's the deal with Sabine Wren though? Why is she Red Boba Fett?

But if it's all to make money, why are they making the movies so terrible that the entire franchise is crashing?

Odan Urr is an awesome character RIP

>BRAAAAPPPPPPPPP

The same reason why money people always struggle to make good movies, vidya, etc. They don't know how to take risks and create art. They want to manage the risk as much as possible for maximum profit return. Corporate people like derivative art because it's safe.

>with the new trilogy (which one could call bad, in a way, or very good)
>or very good
lol

Isnt the clone wars still cannon?

>because he no longer took risks
You can talk shit about Lucas but NOT taking risks wasn't his problem. That's how he alienated manbabies like you or whoever you're halfassedly parotting in the first place.

It's a kids cartoon and she's got this art & graffiti schtick they push for the 1st season and kinda drop afterwards. Her armour remains painted, though. Kind of unfortunate none of the Imperials can think to put out an APB on someone wearing very rare, brightly coloured armour.

>pic related
3D-PD

Yes. People can't even say "NUH UH IT'S NOT A MOVIE SO IT'S NOT CANON" because actually, it is a movie.