Can they pull it off?

Can they pull it off?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YxqqdATF7w8
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Both films are confirmed to have a $1 Billion budget combined.

How in the hell does Disney expect to make their money back?

I guess it's the grand experiment at this point.

I'm going to make a wager that whomever dies in these two films...it won't hit as hard as Yondu's death

youtube.com/watch?v=YxqqdATF7w8

It sets the bar so high that no one else can do comic book movies.

Thats what, 500 million each?

Thats only about a hundred million more than Pirates of the Caribbean : On Stranger Tides (or a quarter of the total cost of the movie more).

Or about twice as much as the hobbit trilogy (most of which went towards Battle of the Five Armies).

So yeah sure its a lot, but not stupidly out there.

>Can they pull it off?

Sure

Though I'm going in with low expectations

Toys, comics, shirts, games, junk food, every tie-in possible for years to come.

It would be very painful

If you had asked that question before Guardians of the Galaxy 2 I would have said they could pull it off, but now I am a bit worried. I have loved the marvel climatic universe but its going a bit down hill. Most of my problems with it come from the way its handling humor now. Its just too much sometimes and Im worried that Infinity war will mostly just be jokes.

A-user, I....

Merchandise, you know all those fucking captain america star/shield shirts you see? Those among other stuff.

I think out of all the movies, the Russos have been the most conservative with humor. The final fights in Winter Soldier and Civil War had 0 quips.

You're a big guy.

Easily? They'll both pull $1B+ worldwide and will move a metric fuckton of merchandise

This I trust the Russos not going overboard with quips.
They get the tone of the scenes right most of the time.
Their cinematography, on the other hand...

of course user

They better spend a lot of time setting up Thanos as a character in Infinity War 1. I was expecting him to be properly set up in GOTG2 or something, but so far all we have is a handful of scenes of him looking intimidating

no. people have been waiting the better part of a decade for it

nothing can live up to that fermented hype. SJ is proof of this

Well, they are directing infinity war which gives me a bit of hope. I do want some humor, but more like they did it in Iron Man and Thor. I know Guardians is meant to be less serious, but they just handled that last movie horribly. Some jokes were great, I was laughing my ass off at the Marry Poppins one, but I did not need half of the fucking tape scene and a lot of the other jokes they put in.

>Pirates of the Caribbean : On Stranger Tides
Was that the fourth Pirates film?

It's so weird that film came out and nobody even saw it (and it still made a billion)

>Their cinematography, on the other hand...

It's fine.

I remember seeing that movie. I remember what the day was like, I remember who I saw it with, I remember what I ate. I have no memory of the actual film. It was completely forgettable.

We tend to forget the plots of the movies. We only remember what we felt watching them

I completely disagree as I thought GOTG2 built upon the first film very well, but I can understand what you mean. We'll definitely see. I think Thanos has to have some really good payoff.

ITT: Moments that must happen in IW

I guess nothing is a feeling. When I say I remember seeing that film I mean I remember going to the theater to see it, but I have no recollection of that film or how I felt. I get what you're saying though. One of the last movies I saw that I really loved was John Wick 2, but I could not tell you the plot of that film.

If both movies are 2hrs30mins like the last 3 installments, then I think the first the middle 4 hours will be great. I don't think they will make a satisfying enough ending.

I loved GOTG2, and what it did well it did well, but I can't ignore its problems and Im worried that they will only get worse.

I'm fine with that. Don't make your films ads for Infinity Wars, and Thanos would likely disappoint if he's hyped so much in advance. Name one villain who was worth so much buildup that wasn't a letdown.

I think a great example of what your talking about is the Joker from suicide squad. He was hyped up so much and it was a massive let down.

The majority of Sup Forums knew nothing about SJ before season 5, so that's not a good comparison

To be honest, I think the GOTG and Avengers will mix very oddly. I feel that each of the Guardians have a unique and distinct personality, while a lot of the Avengers sort of double over. Like, how is Rhodey different than Sam different than Hawkeye? I also hope it doesn't have RDJ dominate over everyone. I would love if the others put him in his place.

>Name one villain who was worth so much buildup that wasn't a letdown.
Lordgenome

for most of the first story arc all you see of him is him sitting in his chair just the same.

No it isn't shill. I love Winter Soldier and Civil War but the cinematography is dogshit.

I think Ragnarok is going to be a bit of a bridge between thr Avengers and Guardians. It is definitely more of an Avengers movie, but a lot of it looks stylistically similar to Guardians. As for characters like Rhodey and Hawkeye will basically be background. They will be around for the larger battles. The characters from the Original Avengers movie and the Guardians are basically going to be the movie, probably Dr. Strange to. I also think Peter is really going to piss of Steve.

A show with two seasons and the same creative team? Doesn't count

they can try, but the MCU is dying already

Hollywood budgets are money laundering scams.

Absolutely.
The Russo Brothers haven't let me down yet.

nah it'll suck, the boom is over

CW was like a test if the russians could handle a shit ton of characters. They did good, though wonder how much of a love story this will be with Vision/Wanda, Buckycap and Thanos/Death.

> Marvel studios

Yeah, they got this

>dying already
>most recent film made $50 million more than it's predecessor

SJ was 10/10 for me in the first 3 episodes, sadly it went downhill after that

it could have been done though

I saw that movie, it was OK

there was a rogue priest who falls in love with a mermaid, the spanish destroy the fountain of youth, and Jack has a swordfight with a girl dressed up as him

nigger were gonna see marketing that will put both minion sequels to shame

>both
they made 3 of those?

No

He posted Avengers Infinity War, not the DC extended Universe non.

>company wars
Could you not?

The bigger question is if they can continue to be as successful post Avengers 4 as they were before and if Avenger 4 can be as close to as successful as Avengers 3. Avengers 3 can make at least Ultron numbers if it is marketed as much as The Force Awakens for comparison, but that cuts into the profit margin I would imagine. After that, hey might worry about people being let down by Avengers 4 if 3 does very well.

It's going to bury Ultron's box office, no question about it.

Story wise no. Not to Causuals.
Because we have no context on the gems or the guantlet. All we've gotten is a leering purple guy who plans to do... something. All we know about the stones is that they do... magical stuff. And Dr. Strange is making a deal with someone name Dormamu. All these movies have been were setting up characters to face an unknown force in the last two movies. As a matter of fact it probably wasn't planned that way considering at the end of Incredible Hulk, Stark just says he's putting together a team. Heck, in Age of Ultron we saw no one, we know now, in Stark's future vision.

Character wise. No.
There have been no arcs from the characters who've been in more than two movies. Hulk is the only one since he learned to trust people; but that might change in Ragnarok. We still have the Snark with a heart, the boy scout, the fish out of water, the woman with a dark past, the guy that shoots arrows, and the sidekicks. The only thing worth going there for is the interaction between Scarlet Witch and Doctor Strange.

Special and practical effects wise. No.
At least not on the monsters or acrobatic characters. Hulk, Thanos, and Spider-Man all look like X-box 360 games when they move or stand behind the other actors. And Ant-Man always looked a tad out of place in the day scenes.

So in short. Yes. Audiences that watch these movies will love it. Because nothing has changed.

#92221939>>
Also
>write out a thoughtful response
>no one replies
E-et tu, user...

>complaining that no one replies 3 minutes after it's posted

>not being a nihilist
>on Sup Forums

>being a nihilist
>ever

>Story wise no. Not to Causuals.

I dont see why not. People that have been watching these movies from 2008 are casuals and they were able to follow Civil War which essentially is a Avengers film that only works if you've watched the other films.

>Character wise. No

Character wise i'd say this is the easiest to handle. Most characters have successful solo movies about them already. They dont need to do much but give them a good payoff if any are killed.

>Special and practical effects wise. No.

I would agree with you before the Ike Perlmutter split, now i dont, because Doctor Strange and especially Guardians 2 disprove that. I think Fiege now has the freedom of budget to do what he wants. One of the biggest issues in Civil War was that the movie was being made during the huge shakeup at Marvel Studios in which reports came out that Ike was trying to cheapen the production of the movie and Fiege fought strongly against it. On top of that it was a bit of a rush job because they had no idea if the Spider-Man deal would pan out in time. Had the shakeup already happened and Fiege had total control i think Civil War would have looked much better.

> both sides spinning at different speeds

Someone doesn't know how physics works.

It's Disney-Marvel. Even if it's shit it'll rake in a couple billion.

And judging by their track record, it should be pretty okay to great.

I just now realized, Peter should know about Steve. Wonder what his reaction will be when he meets him? If he ever does, I dunno.

>first two arguments
My beef was that nothing had changed in the span of 12 films. Every character was still the same they'd always been even with the rise of more powerful enemies and heroes.
And that even though you could've watched the first five films before avengers ( the only one you really needed to see were Thor and Captain America) it's become even more evident that none of the other films matter once we reach Infinite War. I get that it's going to be split into two parts but all the ""build-up"" the last 16-17 movies have done has given us virtually nothing when it comes to: what the gems do, why we should care about Thanos, the role of the Avengers and all the other superheroes. And if this war really is going to be so bad as they're making it to be, why should we care about a C-lister like Spider-Man's movie in the grand scale of it all? It's a bit too late to start his character development when we only have, what? 4 movies until it all goes down. 3 of which don't even feature him?

Those numbers... have been checked

>couple billion
Do you mean world wide? I hope so because a movie would never make a "couple billion" domestically no matter how much Disney spat in it.
And even then at most I'd say 2.5 billion. That's if it's good.

I feel like they can but with so much going on it might be mishandled. I'm especially worried about the Guardians. They might be completely mishandled and not in character at all.

Also I'm slightly bored of the Avengers. The GOTG movies are so good they pale in comparison. [/spoilers]

If Guardians 2 is any indication, no, it'll be two movies filled with too much character exposition.

I've accepted that there will not be a good marvel movie.

I just want to see my muderous space Waifu in action

After GOTG 2, there really is a spark the Guardians have that the Avengers lack of late. I think it's because the marvel Earth is so grounded compared to the colorful zany stuff of the GOTG.

My big fear is that I don't think Thanos will go all the way with the Gauntlet. Like, how will characters like Black Widow, Hawkeye, etc have any chance against opening shockwaves from the gauntlet? I'm seeing shit like Thanos blowing up a fleet of spaceships and then all of a sudden struggling when the Avengers fight him.

Basically, I really can't envision the heroes being able to do anything against someone of Superman strength, which makes Thanos even more absurd.

And Civil War made less than Iron Man 3 despite all interesting Avengers in it, Iron Man and fucking Spider-Man.

>the MCU
>dying already

Uhhh, I think you are mistaking Marvel with DC/WB. Also it is enabling new actors to break onto the scene. For people like Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Jeremy Renner, Tom Holland it was their break breakthrough and they are getting pretty solid movie careers thanks to it. Sebastian Stan in particular, seems to be the smartest of the bunch as he appears to be building his career on various projects (mixing tv with movies) to expand his job prospects post-Marvel, which is what Chris Evans, Hemsworth and to a lesser extent Hiddleston and Pratt have been unable to do.

You don't read many comics, do you?

Well to be fair, it was called "Iron Man 3" and came out while people were still high off the Avengers.

>>get that it's going to be split into two parts but all the ""build-up"" the last 16-17 movies have done has given us virtually nothing when it comes to: what the gems do, why we should care about Thanos, the role of the Avengers and all the other superheroes. And if this war really is going to be so bad as they're making it to be, why should we care about a C-lister like Spider-Man's movie in the grand scale of it all? It's a bit too late to start his character development when we only have, what? 4 movies until it all goes down. 3 of which don't even feature him?

Thing is, my biggest problem with the MCU is that they constantly keep trying to hype up Infinity Wars. Age of Ultron was the biggest offender because there was really no need to explain the Infinity Stones in that film because it didn't matter to the current threat at hand. We don't need constant films to keep saying "Thanos is bad and wants all the gems". Movies are episodes of a TV show, and I think the trend of shows having seasons devoted to one storyline tend to point out that a long buildup narrative of one villain tends to be a letdown.

Basically, these films should be allowed to do their own thing because we actually are getting more attached to all these heroes because we've been through their adventures. We want to see them team up to see how they will react to each other's experiences. And to be honest, every MCU villain has been like Thanos. The serious stone faced character who boasts about their power has been done many, many times in the MCU. Yes, we haven't seen a villain of this power level, but he's not going to be something especially different than Ronan the Accuser.

It'll be like Civil War where people will be happy it's not shit. I'm sure it'll be good.

Does anyone here think this movie will surpass Avatar at the box office?

Nope. It's going to be fucking garbage. The Thanos fight is going to have quips out the ass, whoever dies will just be brought back by the infinity stone. There won't be any stakes, no lessons learned. Just like every single marvel villain fight

It definitely looks like it will. They have been hyping this for 11 years by the time the first movie will premiere and well, people have formed attachments to the characters and actors.

Nope. Unless it's a special effects masterpiece that China gives two billions towards, it won't happen.

>Jeremy Renner
>new actor

Go back to school kid

> the hobbit trilogy (most of which went towards Battle of the Five Armies).

Funny how it's the worst looking one

I'm guessing they picked such a gloomy day so it wouldn't look weird for them to have no shadows

I believe in Russos. They delivered some good shit with Winter Soldier. And slightly less good shit with Civil War. They will not disappoint me like Whedon did.

Of course.

His big break was in the Hurt Locker and he got an oscar nom for the Town. But he arguably became a household name thanks to the Avengers. No one cared about him when he was having roles with 3-4 lines like those he had in 28 Weeks Later/S.W.A.T

I think Civil War's delivery on the Iron Man/Cap and Bucky fight makes me really hopeful.

I am afraid this will become a convoluted mess. What the fuck are they going to do? Kill Cap, introduce Buckycap, resurrect Steve, have Steve take over as head of S.H.I.E.L.D and then have Buckycap passing the shield onto Falcon?

I'm not convinced the Russos are able to handle cosmic level powers. I'll reserve judgement until I see Avengers 3

Well not since 2013 but I wasn't originally speaking about the comics and neither was the topic of this thread.
I meant to answer the question if these movies would do well with casual audiences. People that've only watched the movies.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you compared the movies to the television shows. It feels like every after credits stinger should be accompanied with a "This season on the Marvel Cinematic Universe" as if the audience needs to be reassured what follows will be interesting.

>I think you hit the nail on the head when you compared the movies to the television shows. It feels like every after credits stinger should be accompanied with a "This season on the Marvel Cinematic Universe" as if the audience needs to be reassured what follows will be interesting.

Well, yeah, that's what post credits are. They advertise the next film. The truth about cinema is that when you have a series and a film is the flat out end, the hype disappears. For example, Lord of the Rings. When I was in high school, that was talked about so much with so much speculation about the upcoming stuff. When the third film came and went, the hype just vanished. There was nothing to talk about cause that was the end. Just like Logan. Logan was a damn good film, but nobody brings it up anymore cause there's nothing to discuss. There's no "This is what happens next' because it was an open and close story.

Which brings me to a controversial point, I think the MCU is so massively popular because each film is a promise for a future film. People put up with the MCU more because there's always a promise that something bigger is on its way. Like Dr. Strange was a kind of mediocre film, but it brings the promise of magic with the Avengers. People left Thor the Dark World only being hyped for the Infinity Stones. I think this also carried over with the TV shows because people think "I better watch these shows because they might cross over with the movies". Connectivity is sort of an advertisement that never stops.

Which brings me up to the final point, the films shouldn't tease future films during their film, but only at the end. Otherwise, you'd get Age of Ultron that promises Civil War, Ragnarok, Black Panther and Infinity Wars, derailing a lot of the story.

So speaking of Inifnity War, should I buy Infinity Gauntlet Aftermath? It collects some of the same stuff as the Infinity Watch TPBs do and I don't want to double dip, is there anything in it that's a must have?

They have two movies for it

Yeah, that would be you.

I am curious, how closely does the Avengers movies follow the Avengers comic story line?

As a fan of movie capeshit only, what are some things a non comic capeshit reader is missing out on?

It's not an adaptation in the way Game of Thrones is. It's just a new story featuring those characters.

Two movies with a limited running time. You cannot expect to introduce 40-50 characters and give them their due on the movie. Hell, just the Buckycap storyline could be extended to 2 or 3 movies.

>how closely does the Avengers movies follow the Avengers comic story line?
In the comics, when the Avengers first team up, it's to fight Loki who's invading New York. That's about it.

>I am curious, how closely does the Avengers movies follow the Avengers comic story line?

For one thing, SHIELD didn't form them, and Maria Hill wasn't a character until the 2000's and the Chitari were aliens from the Ultimate Universe, not main universe, Hank Pym created Ultron, Ant-Man and Wasp were on the original team, and Hulk wasn't part of the circus.

Marvel could have words with you about that....after all they are trying to bring as many elements of the movies into the comics, especially the costumes (Cap's new costume are virtually identical to those worn by MCU Steve, etc.) and the overall feel of the new runs. If the comic division of Marvel is holding on, it is thanks to the profits brought from the MCU.