Literature

>literature

Serious art

>drawings

Serious art

>literature and drawings combined

Not serious art

Why does the general public feel this way?

People think of comics as picture books for manchildren.

I don't know user

>American Gods get a tv show
>Dark Tower gets compressed into a single movie
>Idris Elba wasted again

What the fuck is this shit?

>everyone hates Perrin
>loves Mat

I'll never understand.

>literature
lots of great writers, centuries of tradition
>"drawings"
centuries of painters mastering the form and experimenting with color
>literature and drawings combined AKA Sup Forums
lets draw some muscle men punching each other and put some type in the white bubble

it's not hard, user

Sony can't be trusted with anything man.

Also Viggo Mortensen should've been Roland.

Fuck that, Perrin is best bpy, granted Mat is pretty great, but he ain't no Perrin

>capes are the only comics in existence

Its all about perception man. Art for example has two mainstream perceptions, the serious respected stuff and the "What the fuck how is that even art" stuff. Then you got literature. You have the classics people automatically see as great and the more mainstream respected fiction authors like Stephen King. You also get the "Made into Movie/TV show" crowd but thats another beast. This in no way encompasses even a small fraction of art/literature in the world, but it is what comes to mind from a lot of people in the west.

So when it comes to comics, even now in the days of capeshit movie popularity, people see them as nerdy super friends tier trash or Archie.

A lot of people CAN'T read comics.
The combination of pictures and text confuses them.
My Mother is one of them.

That seems really odd for some reason, I've never herd of something being unable to read something due to a visual aid

You can't read a comic without looking at he pictures - it makes no sense (unless it's one of those ancient ones there everyone explains what they are doing as they are doing it). Therefore it is not just a visual aid.

You're a stupid child if you don't understand that almost a century of the comics medium as capeshit has tainted public perception.

This goes for OP as well.

Because they're only ever exposed to shitty movies made from shitty cape comics. Why do you give a shit? Most people can't into reading as a hobby in the first place.

Because most word bubbles look bad (just dumb ovals).

Painters feel like they are dumbing it down for children by adding words to explain it.

Writers feel like they are dumbing it down for children by adding pictures to explain it.

Because of years of comics being gutter trash dimestore shit. things you'd buy at a soda shop for loose change. Then years of there being little to no substance to most comics.

It's beeen getting bettter now with stuff like people recognizing "classics" of the art, and having some actual good strories with interesting chaarcters. But it'll be a while before they'er respected in the states, if ever.

It's do-able, but it'll take a while.

>Goosebumps
Not serious art.

>a child's doodles
Not serious art.

>Goosebump tier stories combined with doodle tier drawings
Not serious art.

Get it?

Come back when Hemingway and Cezanne have teamed up to make a graphic novel, then we can talk.

>description of actions and emotions in a visual medium

What is this schlock?

Honestly I kind of wish more comics and graphic novels would do this

I think the public may know Spiegelman or Clowes, but, especially with the movies these days, superheroes are the most well known. Not to say that all stories with superheroes are low quality.

most comic book writers are not "literature".

Pizza tastes great
Chocolate tastes great
Sometimes two great things go horribly together

It's because normies are braindead retards, they genuinely believe that all comics are capeshit, and that all cartoons appeal to either little children or stoner college dropouts with Spongebob and Rick & Morty respectively.

You try to show them that there are other comics that have immensely great writing and art like Bone and The Goon, but they disregard it as baby's first comic that's just there to lead them to capeshit, not the other way around. When you try to show them that there are good adult-oriented cartoons like Venture Bros or all-ages cartoons like Star vs, they disregard them as well because all they ever think about is that they're for kids and manchildren.

You know what's also rich about these type of behavior? They go on places like Facebook and share memes about how they miss old cartoons of the 90's, yet when you give them any of the modern good stuff, they give you a stink eye and treat you like a weirdo for liking animations and comics even if your taste is refined. It's like they want to be pretentiously correct but don't want to be proven wrong, it's just asinine.

Comics are plebshit

>Idris Elba
Could they have picked a worse Roland?

The comics code completely fucked the medium over in that regard. And "The Best Comic Ever" being a Superhero deconstruction doesn't help the image of the medium as just Capes.

Its mostly an Anglosphere issue though. Continental Europe recognizes it as the 9th art and they're far more respected. And when I was in Madrid the big sunday market had a fuckload of stalls selling Comics, which you'd never see in an English speaking country.

read the first three books in the series and felt it was pretty middle-of-the-road is the comic any better?