I seriously hate this asshole. He's too smart and too good at everything

I seriously hate this asshole. He's too smart and too good at everything.

>too good at everything
I've been thinking about that lately, and I remembered this scene.
>You're crying? Over a Morty?

I think you're right that Rick is too good at what he does. I think that when Rick began traveling dimensions and learned that he would get a Morty for the sole purpose of being fodder, he wanted to take a different route.

I think he helped raise his original Morty to be smart, to be the Mortiest Morty like he's the Rickest Rick.

And when Morty learned what his true purpose in life was...

I think at some point, Rick had to kill his own Morty, not knowing that Morty survived. Rick was able to obtain another Morty and has purposely been treating him shittier, so as not to repeat his mistake.

That's why he cried over the image of Morty. He wasn't just attached to his original because he was Rick's original... he was reminded of how badly he fucked up when he tried to be too good at what he does.

He's not THAT smart.

What do you know, literal Mary Sue.

>He's too smart and too good at everything
if he was so smart, he would've figured out not to cronenberg his reality

bruh...
i love you
i've been trying to word my explanation to rick's flaws, but just couldnt. You my pen bro.

I like how he went from egoist asshole to kind grandpa

Interdimensional Council of Reeds vs Council of Ricks

So, essentially, Rick tried to make the One True Morty himself?

Reeds would win, because all the other Ricks are basically a shadow of the main Rick

they are setting him up fpr massive failure.

I really don't understand why people say that RIck being a Mary Sue is a bad thing, in a comedy episodic show about the Universe.
The entertainment comes from the gags, from how absurd Rick's overturning of bad odds can be, and from all the outlandish things that different planets/dimensions have to offer.

Why would I want a realistic "flawed" lead in a show about killing shit and making butt jokes?

Dude, Rick is a colossal bundle of flaws. He's just completely unhindered by any of them.

But that's fine. That's not the kind of flaw complainers want, they want him to break down and cry in the middle of an heated firefight, they want him to not take logical decisions beause of his feelings, they want him to be outsmarted by someone (even though it shouldn't be possible in the setting).

"Flaws" like his alcoholism, his troubled past, his broken relationships and things like that are not 'Flaws' in the way they mean it, they're just character traits.

that's wonderful theory but its entirely conjecture

Outsmarting someone isn't about intelligence it's about guile and feeding into their arrogance. It happens all the time to him it's why his friends keep ending up dead.

He's never defeated though.
A plan is always revealed when it comes to fruition, and no matter how well you trick Rick it'll mean instant payback as soon as he gets fucked.

I think that to satisfy the complainers Rick needs storylines a la Superman, where they just exploit his more vulnerable friends or something that can't be physically protected.
It's the only way that a storyline could end badly for him without feeling retardedly forced just to appease the crowd that won't accept Mary Sues even in a comedy setting.

By that logic, the roadrunner was trash and it shouldn't be allowed to exist because he's "too strong".

except the road running never tried to do anything other than slapstick humor.

r&m at times attempts to have 'serious' moments and ostensibly wants you to see the characters are more than one dimensional vehicles for jokes so the comparison doesn't really fit.

Rick isn't good at dealing with the consequences of his actions. Whenever he can, Rick tries to "fix" things back to way they were before, and if he can't, he fucking bails. The one time he has to face the consequences, he tries to fucking kill himself.

You're not supposed to like him as a person. He's a horrible fucking human being.

You're right; it's conjecture. And all the 'evidence' that I can really substantiate it with is mostly more conjecture. But at least it's 'tidy' conjecture, and not something outlandish.

Evidence from within the show:
-From the episode that Evil Morty is introduced, Rick literally says "It goes without saying that the Rickest Rick would have the Mortiest Morty."
-There is no explanation as to where the Morty cult came from. Because of its teaching that Ricks should be avoided, it isn't too far-fetched that Evil Morty started the religion himself, to use as a weapon against Rick(s). Rick may not have started a religion, but his battery inhabitants do practically worship him...
This theory is particularly interesting at the moment, since the Council of Ricks was essentially destroyed, and with no leadership or organization, the Ricks are now ripe for Evil Morty's taking.

Evidence from a writing standpoint:
-In Close Rick-counters, they introduce both the Evil Morty and the concept of a One True Morty at the same time. The storytelling leads the viewer to believe that our Morty is the OTM, but it's probably more likely referring to EM. This is more plausible by the fact that both of these plot points were revealed in the same episode rather than several. It makes their connection more logical and less outlandish. It's possible that the writers came up with the idea of OTM the same time they came up with EM, rather than them being two separate ideas that they later think of connecting.

-In the Season 3 opener, the episode openly mocks the 'traditional' tragic backstory, i.e. a tragedy kills family members. But the show has never been about unexpected bad shit happening to Rick. Rick MAKES bad shit happens, and they then spiral out of his control. That is to say, Rick's 'tragic backstory' isn't something that was done to him, but something that he did to others. That kind of backstory would be aligned with the style of writing that the show has.

well that's the thing

he pours all his energy into being right and succeeding, and his character is a super genius on top of it. this is why he's lonely, depressed, and relentlessly abuses substances to escape his pain--he can't emotionally relate to anybody else, his relationships are dysfunctional, he looks down on other people and obsesses over perfection. the most likeable rick was also the dumbest, but that doesn't even mean he was an idiot per se.

the show ALSO depicts a bunch of other shitty characters and the way they feed into it, where they come to value his competence and confidence and ignore just how much damage he causes in the process. it hasn't made *them* happier either. most of the problems he fixes are the ones he also creates.

I'm surprised people think the show is portraying him as a Mary Sue, since his *success* is the joke. He thinks being right and winning all the time are necessary, but it eats him alive just as much and he still doesn't have an answer for that either. If anything, he probably hates other people for managing to be happy when that's the one thing he can't seem to do himself.

reminds me of a certain purple horse

Oh but he's sad sometimes too that adds so much depth this is such a good show bro you gotta watch it

>being jealous of a fictional character

Does da little OP need his boddle?

>discussing R&M of Sup Forums when they have Reddit dedicated to forced memes

Really? Every last post, huh?

the kind grandpa was for two episodes at most

>established as a selfish asshole better than everyone else
>presented as an idiot and caring parent somethings
>several episodes make you think there will be character development
>morty and jerry evolved into opposing rick
>summer is more active and still supports rick
>beth kinda takes the courage to divorce jerry
>rick... well...