Do women (real ones, outside the internet) actually care about female protagonists?

Do women (real ones, outside the internet) actually care about female protagonists?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z4mxSpSloVY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

only if the said protagonist dates some hot stud

new generation cares since they have not single good female protagonists.

If they are told to care enough times they will.

why won't they just watch the Alien series? why does it matter if it's a new movie?

No, but they do hate it when a show is only about guys. From what I've seen women tend to prefer shows with a great male lead and maaaany female side characters.

Star Wars isn't just a thing for socially alienated white men/boys anymore. It's grown beyond that little niche, and it also needs to lose the baggage associated with whiteness/maleness to reach a larger audience and have more influence.

Lots of the lessons and teachings embodied by Luke Skywalker are white, masculine and western in character. They've been done to death. The monomyth, Joseph Campbellian structure is dated and stale, and it can't keep running on those fumes forever.

I sympathize with lots of the grumbling white male neckbeards are doing. Star Wars was their thing and they don't want to share their beloved toys. And they're obviously gonna hate The Last Jedi because, in essence, it's about how Luke's legend really was flawed and limited in its scope.

The Jedi philosophy, just like the phallocentric white male western patriarchy, was bogged down in its own dogma. There's something beautiful and touching about the sentiment of "passing the torch" in TLJ. The white western male, long held as the only source of heroism and power in the canon, gracefully steps aside not only for his own good, but for the good of the universe.

In more diverse and progressive hands, there's no telling what this universe, and the force along with it, might become. It's an exciting prospect, to say the least, for those who aren't embittered neckbeards living in their parents' basements.

TLJ is going to be a watershed moment in sci-fi and genre films generally. It's all about letting go, letting your creation grow beyond you. And Star Wars, like civilization itself, has evolved beyond its parochial and patriarchal past.

great pasta desu

Only after being shamed into caring endlessly by insane people, deep down they still dont give a shit

This post is wiser than it appears.

seems about right desu

Nah they don't give a shit. They watch shit like gossip girl, pretty little liars, pitch perfect, and shit that was geared towards girls anyway.

Who cares? Rey is Mary Sue as fuck.

It's like videogames: Ironically, it's women who hate men who do care. Example: Zelda. Normal and mentally stable women don't give a fuck, love the series and play as Link, women who hate men (the people who followed that Anita shit) desperately tried to shame Nintendo into turning Link into a full blown woman, and Zelda into a prince. Shame it was Nintendo, in Japan, and they didn't give a fuck, so they made Zelda a damsel in distress, again.

tl;dr it's not about equality but taking away the "toy" from the evil white man.

depends
my sister couldnt give a shit and doesnt even like Rey and flat out hates Reylo
but her friend she loves and pretty sure selfinserts as Rey

>pretty sure selfinserts as Rey
Maybe that's the problem? As a kid (or a grown-up for that matter) did you ever feel like the protagonist of Predator, Rambo, any spaghetti western or a war movie was meant to represent you? Yeah, me neither. But those movies were about characters, not the demographic. Not allowed anymore in current year.

Rey is this really shitty mix between Sakura and Asuna.

Hey Kathleen! Pleasure for you to join us!

Some seem to. I've met a few who at least pretend to like her in the name of female solidarity.

she is 26

No. Women don't care about space fantasy operas or heroism.

They care about caring. Difficult relationships, mental illness, troubled people... those are the archetypes that appeal to them.

Whole thing is a cultural travesty.

To an extent. You can sympathize with those guys easily without necessarily relating to them. They are also power fantasies to an extent.

They like defending Rey's unbelievable lack of flaws. I know John Wick is a Mary Sue, too, but at least his background gives some justification for his insane abilities. Rey has no justifications whatsoever, and it's ridiculous.

rey isnt a hero.
her biggest conflict is "who are my parents" and "should i date the emo bad boy". its teen female insertion character 101

Exactly, that's why these new movies fail to appeal to the core Star Wars fan. They wanted to double the market by creating a female-oriented arc... In the end, they lost both: as I said, women don't care for space fantasy operas and the only interesting thing about Disney Wars is Reylo (which is the Twillight/50 shades of grey/Beauty and the Beast archetype), which in turn doesn't appeal to males.

They care about the idea of female protagonists more than actual female protagonists.

she's a virgin and has memory delusion issues.

The women I know only watch shit like Star Wars because men are interested in it. Like when a man suffers through watching shit like just to appease their partners.

>justification
But that's antithetical to the whole idea of a hero. It makes them seem a lot less bad-ass when you know what made them that way. Kind of.

the next star wars movie could start with rey getting raped and assaulted by a giant space demon which then kills all her friends and Sup Forums will still say she has no motivation

youtube.com/watch?v=z4mxSpSloVY

The ones who care basically just women with severe insecurities. Alpha Stacies don't care at all.

A couple weeks ago I took a girl to see Thor Ragnarok and she mentioned how she liked how there was both a strong female protagonist AND antagonist in the Valkerie girl and Hella.

They don't actually care about the characters or the story, they just want to stick it to the man.

I don’t think she is a Mary Sue, if she was she wouldn’t be wetting her panties over Kylo. She has a weakness.

>women (real ones, outside the internet)

Consume enough non-dork non-blockbuster non-franchise media to know that there's plenty of well-written female protagonists in plenty of films and TV shows.

Link is a peasant male doing everything the female princess tells him to do with no reward, same with Mario, feminists are fucking retarded

I dunno man I really get easily hooked on girl shows even though I realize they're dumb as fuck most of the time.