I have pretty huge qualms over the quality of the writing, and this character. I'd rather she never existed...

I have pretty huge qualms over the quality of the writing, and this character. I'd rather she never existed, but she does, so how could Ashi have been done right? Well, imagine if it were a father / daughter relationship. It could have been salvageable.
>Jack, in self-defense, murders her sisters
>Is guilt stricken as he's shown to be
>First time he's taken human life
>To reclaim some sense of moral justice he saves the remaining daughter and raises her with the loving, steady-hand she has been denied, opening her eyes in the process
I don't give a fuck about cutesy fan-art but it makes sense, right? Makes sense from a story, character, and plot perspective.

Or you go with what we currently have, and instead of arguing why this is such terrible, unrealistic writing to people that may simply not want to hear it, I'll just ask these two question.

Would you date / have a romantic relationship with someone that killed ALL of your siblings, no matter how estranged you were to them?

Would a normal, moral human being attempt to start a romantic relationship with the remaining sibling survivor of six people he has just killed?

Fuck off

You neckbeards are fucking depressing. good lord, go outside and talk to a girl so you can stop projecting your virginity onto a cartoon show

Jack's not there mentally because of it, and Ashi was a nobody who decided to not hold it against Jack. Let me ask you a question:

Do we live in that fucked up world?

What's the point of this board if not to talk about comics and cartoons?

>if it were a father / daughter relationship

Stopped reading there.

I'm not sure where people keep getting the father/daughter stuff from. It never seemed like there was that big of an age disparity between them, especially in light of the "I do not age" thing.

I'm not thrilled they spent the whole season building her up so she could be his love interest, but I don't have a problem with Jack hooking up with someone even if I would've preferred it to be a platonic partnership. He's got to pass on the family bloodline somehow when/if he gets back to the past.

Why is this the only response that any kind of Ashi criticism gets nowadays? Is it really impossible for anyone to find fault with Season 5 without it being related to sex?

>Would a normal, moral human being attempt to start a romantic relationship with the remaining sibling survivor of six people he has just killed?

Did you forget that those same siblings were trying to fucking kill Jack? Of course he was justified to kill them all and there is no point in Ashi being mad that Jack was defending himself.

Not OP, but I think it's a valid question. Sure, they tried to kill him and it's perfectly reasonable that he retaliated, especially after giving them a chance to walk away. That being said, I feel like it'd be something that would make starting a relationship awkward for a while.

If he hadn't killed her family the relationship might make more sense. But he did, and she fell in love with him anyway, and that is comically bad writing. I'd expect that from some low-rent edgy webcomic.

To add on, literally all they had to do was have him drive them off or KO them. Ashi doesn't get the memo and gets captured. Then they have a free fight between Ashi and her remaining sisters.

I mean, come on, Genndy.

>Well, imagine if it were a father / daughter relationship

i don't care about this dumb debate, but phrasing your post as if you're just now bringing this up and we haven't already had 3000 threads making the same point in 3 days REALLY burns my beans

>Well, imagine if it were a father / daughter relationship. It could have been salvageable.

The fact that you have no imagination means that you have no place offering any critiques.

Having a side-kick character at all was a horrible decision.

I'd rewrite her to be a side-lines antagonist. Make her the sole survivor of the battle, after she see's her fallen sister's she goes into a fit of rage and chases after Jack for vengeance. This way the show will have more time to focus and develop Jack whilst having her around for the B-plot. You could even develop it has her downfall, from the most curios and emotional of her sisters to the most ruthless as she's willing to go to extreme lengths to find and kill Jack.

Ashi is socially retarded, so can't really apply normal scenarios to her.

sweet double sex symbol, bro

The show developed Jack as a character for 4 seasons before she showed up

>no chimp face
>no retarded onion hair
>no Tara voice
Fixed

it was explained, pay attention
she blames the deaths of her sisters on her mother
also she is horny

Sure, but Jack didn't loose his sword, lost all hope and get depressed and suicidal during those 4 seasons.

The entire point of this season was to get a broken Jack and find his way. To redevelop with a redemption arc. But the show's problem is its pacing issues with it trying to juggle too many ideas in an incredibly limited time span.

That's dumb

>Man gave up hope
>Gets hope back from unlikely place
> Stops being angsty

Doesn't take 20 episodes for a plot that simple. You like things needlessly drawn out.

Agreed, it would have been nicer to have her a few episodes tracking the samurai, seeing everything In the world and asking questions of her sisters. That could have brought her as more of the outsider as they are focused on jack when she's talking about planes and shit.
My biggest disappointment is that they didn't expand on the travel and stories; shit, even a few filler episodes where they travel, jack telling children's stories and showing the blights of Aku would have been fun to see.

So basically:
>if i got the father/daughter relationship i wanted
Go blog about it elsewhere.

>Well, imagine if it were a father / daughter relationship
Fuck off

They should have showed more of that; where we see her tracking the samurai, have another with Jack and the green ghost traveling, reminding Jack of all his failures (perceived or actual, dosent matter) and why he must atone for them by offing himself. Fills in some of the history he has for the fifty years we've left him.

>THIS IS MY HEADCANON THEREFOR BETTER IN EVERY WAY

get over it, cuck

>The fact that you have no imagination

hurdur she's female so she has to be a love interest. now who has no imagination?

fucking lold

It's Genndy Tartakovsky he writes romance in most of his works. Why would Sam Jack have been any different based on it's premise?

Believing that only one type of relationship can work and all else can't ever is pretty much the definition of lack of creativity.

I'm sure that won't stop you from making 20 threads a day on it insisting otherwise.

>Drive them off.
They aren't fucking leaving until someone is dead.
>Or KO them.
They weren't scrubs like Da Samurai or the midget aliens. Jack has to take them seriously which means fighting with all he has.

If Jack could KO them easily, he wouldn't have gotten his ass kicked by them at first.

If this season was 20 episodes instead of 10 it would work. It's kind of crazy that after such a short time she now wants to fuck the man she spent her life training to kill and who also killed her sisters and attempted to kill her. Need more time to show her changing and building a relationship with him.

>Killed her sisters and attempted to kill her.
After her and her sisters all attempted to kill him. And all this because their mom made them do it. If Ashi was that hung up on Jack killing them, she wouldn't travel with Jack at all.

t. Tumblr

your problem user is you wanted a "different" type of romantic relationship for the girl that's why you keep going back to father/daughter relationship for Jack and Ashi, you're just trying to eliminate the straight ship. That's an old trick from Steven Universe so please at least stop to pretend.

This should be called "why is samurai jack not SJW material?" "I wanted her GAY uuh"

BTW this complain is alike to what Lauren Zuke said about an unknown ship in Steven universe so It seems that's the reaction from gays to straight ships

I dunno, it would've been better if Ashi fell for Jack and told him and he was flattered but confused, and the kiss would happen in the series finale. It gives more time for Jack to consider, it's a bit ooc for him to give into his impulses so fast.

>a mon who fooled her for the whole life
>a man of kindness who killed her sisters for self defense
Her backstory has potential but now she's just blank love interest

If she adopt jack's ethics, she will get great depression of her sisters' death no matter what they were doing

Honestly, just fuck heteronormalcy, and fuck Trump. This is the worst year ever

But that's not Jack's fault. That's her mom's fault. And she dealt with her. And any sadness is going to be about what could've been instead of "fond" memories in that cave with her sisters.

Here's a tl;dr for ya. I think the fault with Ashi lies in the fact she's been locked up in a cave learning abuse and kung fu for 18-20 years. She's never been shown any affection, she's emotionally and probably mentally stunted. Having her unlearn a lifetime of training in a few episodes seems off, especially because she seems dependent on Jack rather than equal to him, no matter how many ogres she can shove off a cliff.

Say if Ashi had left for a few episodes to see the world without Jack (searching for him for a very short while doesn't really count, it's about Jack and not Ashi for the most part) and there had been a small timeskip, maybe a montage of what she had been doing independently would have made her seem less of a childish love interest waifu to alot of viewers, especially with (mentally) 70 year old Jack. Just because his body doesn't age, his mind still does, and it adds to the disparity.
Hell, they could have made her a tsundere "rival" character who stalked Jack and occasionally helped rather than what seems like his sidekick. Build some romantic tension through them clashing and Ashi gradually changing her views and helping him behind his back rather than Ashi just immediately changing her tune after a story and a quick tour following Jack and seeing how great and heroic he is. She could have easily assumed he did all the environmental damage he accused Aku of.

Don't agree with any of the "BUT HE KILLED HER SISTERS" stuff though, she had also been trained all her life to not give a shit about her sisters. Jack gave them plenty of chances after they came after him. It's not like he went to their cave and slaughtered them during a tea party or something. Ashi held resentment towards their mother for brainwashing them, not Jack for defending himself.

Since all the other seasons had little to no focus on romance.

She's a "Daughter of Aku", if you think that she'll be a wet blanket or something for the rest of the season I don't know what to tell you. Jack's fallen in love with Aku, that'll be the revelation for the finale.

The Network apparently didn't allow it. Once the show was switched to a new block Genndy had the free-will to write the romance.

>imagine if it were a father / daughter relationship.

You had me going for a second there, OP.

Hormones and instincts kick in.

But there's hamfisted romances in tons of cartoons. Did he pitch something disgusting or something?

>father/daughter
yawn
stopped reading there

Romance was probably fine. The problem was everything had to be episodic.. If you give Jack a romantic partner ins Seasons 1-4, the plot has to be resolved in that same episode or part 2 of a 2 parter. So you either end up with tearing Jack apart at the end, or Jack dedicating himself to someone who won't be mentioned or show up often. Remember the Scotsman was basically limited to one episode a season.

>hamfisted
>it's hinted/foreshadowed throughout the season
>ashi and her sisters witness deer nuzzling.
>the white wolf foreshadowed that Jack would find an intimate partner that would help him heal his wounds physically and mentally
>the puffball hallucination asking Jack "What did you expect; a hug and a kiss?"
>Jack awkwardly compliments Ashi's hair and dress.

>Did he pitch something disgusting or something
Something about the show only to be aimed at kids so leave it as action only.

>being this defensive when I was generalizing about cartoons
My point is I can only name a couple of kiddie shows that don't have some kind of romantic subplot. Seems weird they said no to SJ is all.

My bad. Yeah it sure does. Wish I knew it in depth

Why can't they be father/daughter and also bang?

It would never have been non-romantic, get over your butthurt.
Samurai Jack was based on a dream Gendy had of wandering a wasteland with his waifu. CN made him edit the waifu out of the original pitch; with creative control he put it back in and ran with it.

Because Genndy isn't Seth McFarline.

>>the white wolf foreshadowed that Jack would find an intimate partner that would help him heal his wounds physically and mentally
Wat

Honestly Romance was the better way to do it, Father/Daughter is so fucking played out already that I'm tired of it.

It's just that the romance was done poorly and Ashi is a shit character, but assuming she weren't and Genndy could actually write it probably would've been the best.

Fuck you. I don't even watch this show but fuck assholes like you, who reply to OPs but being all "FUCK OFF" and not even offering a legitimate response. This is a board to discuss comics and cartoons. So actually DISCUSS.

Then why not make it a show about a couple fighting to get back to the past together, since that was Genndy vision all along?

This season is supposed to be the last, and yet the goal of defeating Aku that Jack have had since season one have had almost no focus, and now we're left with two episodes to give the series a final resolve.

I wouldn't have minded the Ashi\Jack relationship if it had been more of a background development, but because it has had so much focus it makes this feel like almost a completely different show.

>season 1-4 : defeat Aku or/and get back to the past
>last season : let's give Jack a gf XD

inb4 Ashi is Aku in disguise because he loves pulling that shit. It would still be terrible, but at least hilarious.

OP, I want you to read your post out loud.

really think about all the emotions you are feeling about a cartoon. Is it worth it?

> father-daughter relationship

Isn't Jack young as fuck though?

He's in his seventies. His body itself is just ageless.

Body and mind.

Also

> being virgin for seventy years

they dont give a fuck if their sisters died

they were taught that death means failure

she probably thought MORE of Jack after her sisters were killed initially.

I don't get this father/daughter thing at all, like even a little bit. It didn't even cross my time the entirety of watching this season. Like I get it if people wanted them to build a strong platonic friendship, but Jack and Ashi are showed to be peers in nearly every way.

They're of a comparable biological age and similar rigorous training background and skill level. There isn't anything that suggests otherwise. Hell, if anything the opposite is depicted when Ashi more easily navigates the prison platforms when Jack tells her to be careful. The only thing Jack has over Ashi is more general knowledge because wasn't raised in a cult.

I would get it if she was obviously a child and obviously less capable than Jack, but that isn't the case at all. It seems super left-field in my opinion.