Strong Female Protagonist

OK, I must admit it: I did NOT see this coming.

Other urls found in this thread:

newschool.edu/nssr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

wat

Context please, otherwise it's just words.

the Ethics professor that triggered her turning into an actual tyrant and forced her to deal with it?

Apparently he wasn't their professor at all.

>Professor was Clevin in a mask the whole time

This comic is so stupid. My God.

Any drawfag that wants any extra buck willing to make a pic of doomsday brutally beating the crap out of her?

I want to like this but a webcomic that spent 20 pages on a philosophical discussion (that's already been mulled over) is either mental masturbation or a complete lack of editing. I like conversations and arguments in comic books and the panels are acceptable but the entire gist of the thing could have been done in 5 pages tops.

It's good that this has a Kickstarter because I don't think even Image could stomach printing that much talking in a book about metahumans.

>complete lack of editing.
This.
It's a webcomic. There are even less editors than in current Marvel, and they don't have a page count.

The whole discussion reads MUCH better when read all together, though.

From a technical standpoint the book has good layouts, a clean flow between panels without monotony or confusion, and I appreciate it when the artist puts effort into character design (ironically, the older and less attractive characters). The poses tell the story as they should.

The coloring has become fucking terrible, with no region left unbucketed by flat pastels and skin tones of nearly equal value such that depth isn't conveyed and nothing pops. Sadly it used to favor contrasts and whitespace better (pic related). What looked like freckles before now appear as rash. Bright colors are missing even in action sequences, excepting red.

The main character's head is now striving for excess stylization where it originally maintained proportion. If your character wants to be taken seriously as an adult don't draw them with a child's face. Worse, OP's pic shows Ostertag intentionally imitating Erica Henderson's weakest work on side characters following the tumblr rule of "imitate those with more followers than yourself." It's pitiable because Ostertag's a better technical artist but she's deliberately dumbing down her own talents.

>The whole discussion reads MUCH better when read all together, though
Decompression is cancer and either means no editing or the intent to pad page count for monetary reasons. 19th century Russian novels have shorter philosophical debates in them. Yes, I get it: the writer is in love with his magical not-Yoda Sikh. He is an interesting character and written well. But it is key to remember that fictional dialogue isn't supposed to be as long as real world dialogue, and the writer's most necessary tool is the knife.

Yo hit me up
I'll go to the aco shill thread and post my sheet.

It's not really decompressed. It's just released slowly.

I don't think the discussion could have taken much less pages.
It WAS a philosophical\ethical discussion, they are bound to take a lot of time. It was, if anything, quite realistic.

IMHO the discussion should have been released all together, or in a 1-page-a-day format.

Guy with a cane and a great trollface came in and started teaching, claiming he was their sub.
Managed to get the pissed off blonde in panel 4 to realize she was fucking insane and stupid.
Apparently, he was just some guy that walked in.

>It was, if anything, quite realistic.

No, it was real.

Realistic is the result of the employment of artifice to the unreal in the pursuit of convincing you to believe the unreal to be real. That sounds pretentious as fuck but nearly all narrative forms depend heavily on these artifices/conventions to make it possible to tell a story that doesn't have to happen in realtime. In the hands of the competent, you aren't even aware of them.

As it was the conversation among two fictional peoples in a fictional world, by your own definition "realistic" is the right word

>Those stiff poses

If the reason for his absence was made up by the fake-sub that just walked in, then why has he actually not been teaching the class and why have the students not been informed at all about any of this. what kind of shitshow college is this

I'm going to guess we'll learn it in the next pages, at the same time as the students once they explain the events to the actual professor

is this the webcomic where the girl forces a guy with powers to help her and she looks like a massive hypocrite while doing it?

Yes. She then realises what she did(becoming LITERALLY HITLER) and have a long discussion about ethics with her professor about her conflicting emotions, ideals and actions.
Then comes out this page.

If that user still wants that drawing done, I think I'd be willing to animate a loop of her being pelted with Omega Beams.

>Managed to get the pissed off blonde in panel 4 to realize she was fucking insane and stupid.

Holy mother of god, some was actually able to get through? At what page does it begin? I dropped this some time ago and I'm kinda lost.

He came and declared her way of thinking is typical of a tyrant.
SFP, being ignorant of technical ethics speak(she WAS on her first day) took it as a personal insult.

Later she acts like a tyrant, and realises he was right.

it's a LONG story arc, it actually covers a number of sub-plots detailing the problems in her world and how she really can't do much.

oh, she got Good Will Hunted
but seriously, that kid said it's been weeks and he's acting like it's the first day of class. These kids have every right to complain to the dean or at least the head of the department and get a full refund for the class and materials even if it's past the date you can do that

I think it has been only a few days? One week at best?

Man I'm there for Gurwara the supervillain.

check panel 4, the black haired chick says plural weeks. Can't be much of a typo because she qualifies it would 'a couple'. Might have been meant to be days or classes but that's a pretty significant oversight

>19th century Russian novels have shorter philosophical debates in them.
No you see, this comic is smarter than Dostoyevsky!
I feel sad knowing the author clearly read Brothers Karamazov and thought they could write something "good" by detailing a long philosophical shrug.

Yeah it was apparent to me too but Dostoyevsky also knew how to write shorter philosophical arguments because he knew he'd be trying his readers' patience.

>These kids have every right to complain to the dean or at least the head of the department and get a full refund for the class and materials even if it's past the date you can do that

Cool your autism son, things happen in fiction that can't IRL

Especially in comics. McCloud's entire thing about closure is essentially this. Both is action and prose, comics skip the parts you already assume are there unless they choose to bring attention to specific elements. There's no point in a several page discussion unless the discussion itself is a form of engaging conflict or a climax. A more effective writer will either work those points into an actual story, condense, or use a framing device.

People don't read for wishy washy bullshit; they want conflict and change and shit to think about and discuss.

>All these people ITT who don't get that it's Gurwa without a wig and fake mustache.

You fuckers serious?

>Guwara gaslighting his students by getting a shave and a haircut

WHAT

A

TWIST

god damn it

>what kind of shitshow college is this
Well, it's literally called "The New School" so... probably pretty crap.

>Dostoyevsky knew how to write shorter philosophical arguments

Not that he ever did, the ugly Russian fuck.

Jeez, I preferred her black and white stuff. At least that didn't feel phoned in.

newschool.edu/nssr

It's a day college, no dormitories iirc.

As a reader I have two deal-breaking problems with this webcomic.

1. Allison's pretty hypocritical: she wants to stop being a superhero but retain a millennial's unfiltered self-unaware moral self-righteousness. Worse, she wants to espouse a populist 'YAH YAH FIGHT THE POWER' on one hand but exercise it through the concept 'might makes right.' This got repeated so many times they had to create a character whose only job is confronting her about it.

2. No real overarching story or plotline, just a cycle of the following: Something bad happens. Allison overreacts to it. People call each other out as assholes and play victim cards. Allison feels bad about it later but continues to react exactly the same the next time around. She has no consequences and no character development.

It's a heavy idea being handled without a recognizable structure or conclusion, being milked for as many books as they can shit out of subsequent Kickstarters until a wholly inorganic conclusion looms where she goes super saiyan and then sacrifices herself with a statue erected the next spring and a mealy-mouthed epithet about us helping one another and all being heroes.

>Allison's pretty hypocritical
It was the whole point of the latest arc: forcing her to realise it.

Meanwhile, life around her goes on. The whole story is basically her growing up from basically a kid to an adult... and she's still long away from the target.

>The whole story is basically her growing up from basically a kid to an adult

Then show us a story with milestones along that path then instead of her just repeating a wifebeater cycle. Let her actually learn from her mistakes instead of feeling sorry for herself, not dangle a Yoda dropping truth bombs.

and a nosejob.

Milestone has been abusing the guy and dealing with her own doubts. It's unlikely she'll ever get an illumination bigger than when she thought about making a super-people supporting foundation or whatever it was

I thought this was Squirrel Girl based on the art. Was very confused.

I briefly thought that, but their faces are way too different

in retrospect gurawara is clearly a hobo that wandered in off the street and stole someone's clothes

I'm thinking that this was planned as a "what do you do when someone in a position of authority insists the opposite of what you witnessed?" test

They're probably not the same person, but Guwara and Karapovsky are obviously up to some scheme together. All we've seen of Guwara so far is unconventional teaching methods.

that would totally be Guwara... but I think it unlikely

>insists the opposite of what you witnessed
unless he insists he was there the last 3 weeks the only contradiction is Guwara letting the students believe he's an instructor (notice he never corrected people calling him Mr. Guwara).

and let a kidnapping murderer escape.

>indian american
>hobo

RARE. Unless this comic takes place in the UK I guess.

Wait isn't the blonde chick a superhero or something? Or was that a different comic with a lesbo superhero who was insufferably always right?

In fairness, she didn't want that to happen. She just lost.

This is that comic, except she's not a lesbian, she's not a superhero anymore, and she's definitely not right even most of the time. Up to you whether she's insufferable, though.

Every time I see this comic brought up, it just looks uglier and uglier with messier and messier lineart and more and more horrid designs, and the main character looks more and more like an angry Tintin.

The hell kind of ruse is this.

You forgot she shacks up with the nice guy/cuck as well.

Its a slice of life SJW comic with a superman lite who realizes she can't change the world by punching bad guys candy wrapper. There was never meant to be big milestones but just a character who explores social issues.

Idea of anything ever happening should have died when the doom wannbie stopped showing up. We're "lucky" at this point to have gotten the safe space for super heroes arc.

She murdered the first chick that put the moves on her. Only reason she lived was cause of her deadpool level healing ability.

>Apparently, he was just some guy that walked in.
I've always wanted to do this, but I actually work at the university so I'm not sure how well it would work.

>Idea of anything ever happening should have died
I have QuestionableContent for that, thanks