The Best of Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman: The True Amazon (Jill Thompson)

youtube.com/watch?v=ivHRsrcsgy0

Not caught up to the thread? No worries! Each of these stories, with a few exceptions, is relatively self-contained. Though obviously the more you've read, the more you'll like it.
You can start with any writer you want.

Gods and Mortals (George Perez)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91303244/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91309099/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91350699/

Losses (Bill Messner-Loebs)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91378988/

The Contest (Bill Messner-Loebs)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91465631/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91474261/

Paradise Lost (Phil Jimenez)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91513614/
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91567315/

JLA: A League of One and The Golden Perfect (Christopher Moeller, Joe Kelly)
The Hiketeia (Greg Rucka)
Eye of the Gorgon (Greg Rucka)
Marathon (Greg Rucka)
The Circle (Gail Simone)
Ends of the Earth (Gail Simone)
Rise of the Olympian (Gail Simone)
The Legend of Wonder Woman (Renae De Liz)
Extras:
The Contest (pre-Crisis)
desuarchive.org/co/thread/91415540/

Manhunter: Unleashed
Artemis: Requiem

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/sh/rwqrasp45cfsxu9/AACi5mhCeheYFvp-L9juE0t5a?dl=0
youtu.be/WNSf-KQORRk?t=78
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nice! You've been missed, Texas.

Afternoon Texas user

Is this the last storytime?
I mean this is the most recent so I assume it was the last to do on your list.

dropbox.com/sh/rwqrasp45cfsxu9/AACi5mhCeheYFvp-L9juE0t5a?dl=0

Still got Earth One and Year One to do, then I'll probably do some other assorted stuff just because I love doing it.

Jill's one of my favorite Wondie artists. Her Diana is almost TOO cute.

This has a lot of the stuff

Did you take Odyssey off the list, Texas user?
If so bummer cause I was looking forward to reading it again.

Bit I guess it's opinions and whatnot, and while it was weird to suddenly retcon a bunch of WW stuff it wasn't the greatest story of all time.

* a lot of the stuff about worldbuilding that I like.

Sorry, the reply window is acting weird.

Odyssey, Byrne's run, and War of the Gods are some of the odds and ends I'm planning on posting after Year One.

Stuff I wouldn't call "The Best of" but is interesting to read anyway.

She's great, but I hope now that this is done and finished she can focus more on Beasts of Burden.

Hey Tex.

I hear this one is kind of divisive, and I honestly can't imagine why. Like, the premise alone is pretty damn simple, so what's the problem?

The violence in some parts is a little jarring with the kids' storybook aesthetic, which kind of confused me because I thought it literally was supposed to be a kids' book.

Yeah truth be told the WW rec image has been at times full of desperation.

I mean it included how WW was in The Lego Movie, despite her being in like 90seconds of screentime.

We'll be getting to that, but it's mostly to do with Diana's characterization and the kind of bummer ending.

I've been working on a new, more thorough one but have been slacking on finishing it the past few days.

Probably because it is off canon but close enough to usual canon that feels like a innacurately written WW origin rather than a stand alone elseworld. Least that's my guess.
Basically the equivalent to how people bitched about Batman Year One bats not being all that competent or whatever the complaint was for that.

It's definitely been quite a week for me, so it's relaxing to get back to reading/storytiming.

Does anyone know if the movie is gonna be using the clay origin? That's one scene I'd love to see.

I LOVE this design. Poseidon always gets great designs.

Is it a Fishboat, or a Boatfish? Only Poseidon knows for certain.

Nope, daughter of Zeus origin. You can thank Le Ebin Cereal King for that one.

Take your time man.
You are the Atlus that holds up the WonderWoman sky for us all to see.
You create the horizon of recommendations that we will point towards for all the newfags the WW movie will likely bring here.

So stand proud in knowing what with you standing tall we will be ready for the ocean of ignorant readers.
Take your time and hold as long as you need.

Seriously? That's so lame.

A bit dramatic but I like it, thanks.

I hope Thompson can do a sequel to this

I just started reading Rebirth's Wonder Woman. Did you guys like Urzkartaga and Cheetah's origin story?

I felt it was pretty much the best depiction of Cheetah yet.

C U T E

And this is where the problems some Wondie fans have with the story come from.

That doesn't really make any sense, since the general public is already familiar with the clay origin.

Also, am I the only one who thinks this movie won't be a total disaster? Sure, it won't be good, but it at least looks like it'll actually be a Wonder Woman movie, and not a Generic Female Badass movie. All I can think of when watching that last trailer is "You Tried".

I believe the inspiration from this actually comes from a Perez story also drawn by Thompson, where Diana refuses to learn how to dive in tribute to the gods.

Wouldn't that be more the current Canon's fault?

Since Cyborg was motherbox built I assumed they were trying to be similar to current comic canon to make it less confusing for people who get into the comics via the movies.

People on Twitter have suddenly become pretty positive about it after that last trailer. I do hope it's received well, whether it's true to the character or not at this point, just so I won't have to endure the incessant shitposting it would generate if it's a disaster.

She can fly!

Tex, if the movie does well, people will shitpost. If it does poorly people will shitpost.
It's a sad fact that there will always be fools who have more fun shitposting about something being bad, than actually enjoying the thing itself.

Sure, but you have to remember Johns is CCO. He could have advised the suits and Heinberg not to use the New 52 origin (especially the latter since they're buddies), when he probably did the opposite for "muh synergy"

It's true that DC has been pushing her New 52 run pretty hard as their premiere Wonder Woman book, but the clay origin has basically been restored recently in Johns' own Darkseid War and Year One, IIRC.

Yeah but I feel like the shitposting would be at least slightly mitigated if the movie were well-received. No constant spamming of the RT scores and whatnot.

Oh boy, I can already see it coming... "Blunder Woman". Christ.

So I'm looking forward to y'all's opinions on Diana being spoiled as a child.

Yeah, still not getting it. Like, this is obviously the point. It's character development, she starts as a selfish brat, and matures into the Wondy we all know and love.

I dunno, seems like bitching for the sake of bitching.

Why didn't Marston see that one coming when he named her!? He's doomed us all!

youtu.be/WNSf-KQORRk?t=78

I don't exactly like it, but it does make a degree of sense.

Like with certain Batman and Superman fans, some hardcore Wonder Woman fans just do not like her being depicted in a negative light, ever.

I'd rather her act like a spoiled child (most children are like that) than some perfect angel who grows up into a bigger perfect angel

But to be fair? She's not just sort of snotty in this, she's kind of a huge dick, and I think the length that Thompson took it to is what bothers some fans more than the concept itself.

The movie is going for a mix of her origins, actually.

Diana will start believing she was created from clay by her mother and given life by Zeus' magic, but in the end Ares will reveal that she's actually the biological daughter of Queen Hippolyta and Zeus, from an affair.

Even more so than the other two fanbases.

>posting Louis Cuck King
I knew you were a faggot

I feel Batman fans are much more lenient about Batman negative portrayals.

I like Batman, but i love his iterations with Wonder Woman where Diana tells him to shut the fuck up and he does so like a good little boy.

Well that's certainly... one direction to take it in.

Wait isn't that basically how it was in the New 52? It's been some time since I read it.

And again to be fair, she is often portrayed horribly so some fans can REEEE at the drop of a hat.

Yup, it is.

Yeah but it's an elseworld. Why do people want all elseworlds to be the exact same as the main universe?

Thompson knows how to draw THICC hair.

As a premier Batfag, I cannot for the life of me fathom why Earth One gets the hate that it does for portraying a less competent/less perfect Bruce.

And again to be fair, the other two are often portrayed horribly so some fans can REEE at the drop of a hat.

Diana's always a dick in Elseworlds, though.

I thought you stopped when The Legend of Wonder Woman ended.

Should I except more ?

>I feel Batman fans are much more lenient about Batman negative portrayals.
It's more like Batman has had so many prominent portrayals before many of his fans were even born that it's difficult to even get mad.
The only thing they seem to collectively get mad at is him getting his ass kicked by people not named Joker.

How much pussy gets ate on this island nightly do you think?

>So I'm looking forward to y'all's opinions on Diana being spoiled as a child.
So far, and I think this was likely the intent, it's towing the line between kinda funny and just a bit grating.

But hey, it makes sense. She is the only kid on the island, and the Queen's daughter no less.

See, that's just dumb. Look, I'll only be that guy who gets pissed when Diana is shown to be an asshole, but just because she's a nice gal doesn't mean she doesn't have flaws. Kinda hard to tell a good story when the protagonist is a perfect person who never fucks up.

Right?

I don't know, man. I love the more humanized Batman who's just a normal guy doing this crazy thing that is fighting crime and trying to scare the criminals shitless with a bat costume.

O'Neil's run had Batman having a hard time fighting street hoodlums and it was awesome.

If it weren't for the ending I actually would have been fine with this being canon.

One of the things people complain about with Wonder Woman is her origin lacks the tragedy that Batman and Superman and even most other heroes have. Which I think was the impetus behind the Zeus thing, and of course also the thing with Barry Allen's mom.

And I think this story is an attempt to introduce some conflict and development into her early years.

sorry not sorry

I find it funny how Earth One has been meme'd into being evidence that Johns hates Batman.

Can't argue with that.

I'll be continuing up to the movie's premiere and beyond, hopefully.

Also characters not named Batman are usually more harmed by negative portrayals because casuals don't know any better and will inevitably latch onto a shittier one.

I know Superman fans tend to hate Injustice at least due to how popular it is.

Exactly. As much as I love Batgod, I find it far easier to enjoy the story vicariously through E1 Bruce. Especially when he reveals that he doesn't know shit about detective work.

All of the pussy.

Saved.

But... Batman getting his ass-kicked is fucking awesome, specially when you see him struggling to get up an upper-hand.

You put Batman in an empty and derelict warehouse trying to escape alive while bleeding profusely and being hunted by some normal street-gang and that's my jam right there.

I'd be fine with it being canon because fuck Rucka.

I like Batgod and perfect Supes and Wondie, but there's gotta be some development there.

Morrison's Action Comics and All-Star Superman work like two opposite ends of Clark's life, IMO. And Batman Year One and Morrison's Batman.

Geoff Johns kinda likes Batman, though. He just likes to portray Batman as a hard-ass who's not always right.

Remember, this is the guy that always try to push Wonderbat.

And in all the discussion I missed the chance to point out that we were passing through /d/ territory.

Diana's basically being a first level murderhobo here.

This will be our love story for the night.

Can't buy me love

Sisters of Sappho, yo. Cunnilingus is a national sport over there.

I'm so glad DC just came out with it and explicitly said Diana is bi. Maybe now we can finally start seeing Amazons being gay as hell, AS GOD INTENDED. Tired of that wink wink nudge nudge crap we've had to put up with for ages.

I really liked this overall, but the ending kinda reminded me of Thor, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

>AS GODS INTENDED
fix'd

Comics are a dying industry.
If DC doesn't get some comic boost from synergy they'll prolly end going full digital or Archie newsprint quality or something.
Though honestly I'd like newsprint floppies.
Bring them prices down to $1-2.

Ocarina of Time had cold flames

My only problem with Wonder Woman is that DC in their attempt to make the character more like Superman, they ended up robbing the character much of what made her what she was. She became a Superman clone in almost every aspects, thus giving them another problem: how contrast the two, specially if you're shipping them as a couple? That's why then decided to turn her into basically some sort of Faora/Ursa, by depicting her as this vain and elitist cold warrior. So in all coupled with the power boosts and that characterization Wonder Woman lost much of her humanity.

This story here, though, does the opposite for him. She's shown as powerful, yes, but her character flaws comes much from a human-like characteristic. She's spoiled and thus act out without thinking of the consequences.

She called Diana ugly! KILL HER

Shit, this is making me really want that Wondy BoTW game you were talking about.