Art is one of those precious moments in which we resemble the creator...

>Art is one of those precious moments in which we resemble the creator. That is why I have never believed in art which would be independent of the supreme creator, I don't believe in art without God. The raison d'etre of art is a prayer.

He's right y'know.

He passed the torch to James Cameron.

Possibly. I say this as an agnostic.

>James Cameron

Sweetie...

>reddit golden boy is a literal christian
REDDIT IS GONNA FREAK

Sorry hun, but Terry has nothing on the impact that Jimbo has left. So take your cissypinions elsewhere HONEY. Before I flick your tiny shriveled up dick causing you to cry

This makes no sense.

liked him until i read his journals. what a cunt

I love this man
I wish I could have met him

He would not have liked you, fatass loser pseudo intellectual virgin faggot kike

This makes no sense. Someone try explain the logic behind this. You can't.

are you ok user

Mommy forgot to pack your meds again, eh?

t. Andrei Tarkovsky

>logic
youre missing the point

also discussing god at all is fruitless unless you first discuss what 'god' is and means in the first place

Why is he a cunt?

How did he get away with this in the USSR?

>After the panel, they had arranged for Tarkovsky to see some of my films. I had warned Bill Pence that he might not like my films and I was nervous about showing them.

>Tarkovsky starts talking in rapid Russian, with Zanussi answering him, and whatever he's saying it's obviously angry. Finally, after a lot of these exchanges, Jane had the presence of mind to say, "What's going on? What's he saying?" So Zanussi starts translating and he says, "Well..." and we all wait, "Well... he says," and we wait some more, "he says that Art must have a mystery to it and this is too scientific to be Art."

>So, the leader comes through, the room's heated up, on comes Dog Star Man, Part IV. He starts exploding in Russian the minute the hand painted frames are flickering on the screen, along with the layers of superimposition. He's obviously raging! No one's heard him talk so much since he's been here. He's hammering away in incredibly rapid Russian.

>"This is sheer self-indulgence," "film is only a collaborative art." And in detail, "the color is shit" and "what is this paint? Why do you do this?"

>Now he's yelling! He's standing up in his chair, he's sitting down, he's looking at the film out of the periphery of his eye as he's yelling things at Zanussi, and he won't look at me at all. In the mean time, Jane and his wife are laughing and they're holding hands, and smiling, like "isn't this a wonderful cock fight!" Then comes on Arabic 3 and this maybe tripped him off the most. "What is this? It doesn't mean anything, it's just capricious."

>I did hear afterwards that Tarkovsky told the Russian emigre that it was the stupidest film he ever saw.

Tbh Brakhage deserved that for making stupid worthless shit all his life.

But Tarkovsky was in the right here. Get your head straight user.

Tarkovsky was a tasteless pleb who couldn't understand non-narrative films

this. christianity is the new fedora

The same analogy you use when describing The Sims

will malick fans ever recover?

>you become a creator thus you must believe in a divine creator, also this divine creator can't be proven so dont ask for proof, also comparing an observable creating human to an invisible unprovable entirely faith based entity is not false equivalence. Here look at this long shot of a grass field

Bumping cause these star shit fags need to go back to their home boards and Reddit

do you realize andrei himself was probably ethnically jewish?

This also doesn't make any sense.

I support this post.

Hemingway approves Meister Tarkovsky. Also this girl is stacked, what can't the Tark do?

He was Slavic you dumb bitch

Found you.

>tfw no modern director would dare have such passion for their craft
>we live in a world where soulless nu directors would sigh and condemn our guy as rude and childish and shake their heads
He was too good for this gay world.

Do you think you are smart for identifying atheist sentiments in that post? The rest is just silly pictures of fat people with fedoras and vaping. Its the same old shit youve been posting for the better part of a decade now.

A decade.
And you think you're smart.

ive yet to find your argument

Strong and vocal passion sublimated as tantrums isnt terribly intelligent, or rare. Children do it all the time.

the funny thing is that im actually open to the idea of god existing. I just want proof or a sound logical argument. William Craig actually props up some decent arguments here and there, you on the other hand are white noise. If there were people debatig at the school of athens you'd be an unhinged homeless man flinging dogshit inbetween everyone

Will to be frank if you read somebody’s journal you’re probably a cunt

Slow down there buddy

you wish, fedora

He's right. Christianity, along with the other Abrahamic religions, is as bad as atheism. They are all anti-nature. Truly spiritual people understand this and reject Abrahamism in favor of the Vedic path.

I need more stories about Andrei shutting wannabes down

as a fellow agnostic,I'm not certain if I agree with you,I have no way of knowing if I agree

>Do you think you are smart?

Nope, but I'm assuming you think you are.

>same old shit youve been posting

It's an effective message. It's a truth as everlasting as the holy scriptures.

the journals are a solid read. they almost like one single unfettered rant

Look really really really hard, it's there I promise.

man, i wonder if hed retract that statement if he knew the internet would end up like this. apparently gods really into some kinky shit

hmmmm.... nope still not there. Back to r/fedoramemes you go

so are poles and they have TONS of ashkenazi jew in their blood

face it, you worship a kike. You probably voted for trump, the ultimate kike worshipper. The cognitive dissonance here is delicious YUM YUM YUMMY

>At the moment, I don't think colour film is anything more than a commercial gimmick. I don't know a single film that uses colour well. In any colour film the graphics impinge on one's perception of the events. In everyday life we seldom pay any special attention to colour. When we watch something going on we don't notice colour. A black-and-white film immediately creates the impression that your attention is concentrated on what is most important. On the screen colour imposes itself on you, whereas in real life that only happens at odd moments, so it's not right for the audience to be constantly aware of colour. Isolated details can be in colour if that is what corresponds to the state of the character on the screen. In real life the line that separates unawareness of colour from the moment when you start to notice it is quite imperceptible. Our unbroken, evenly paced flow of attention will suddenly be concentrated on some specific detail. A similar effect is achieved in a film when coloured shots are inserted into black-and-white.”

stop watching COLOR FILMS

Good one, r/atheist misses you bud. I'm sorry the new Star Turds wasn't everything you wanted it to be, but it doesn't mean you have to start shitting up the Master Tarkovsky thread.

>in everyday life we seldom pay any special attention to colour
That's just retarded

>yes, I'm christian and YES I'm a cinephile. my favorite directors? tarkovsky, bresson and dreyer. you've never met anyone like me.

BASED
A
S
E
D

This thread is why /film/ will never happen. You're all faggots incapable of just enjoying film. You need a side to pick and a side to shit on. Faggots

this is the first time I've seen somebody repost something that I originally made/capped
feels fucking good

>incapable of just enjoying film
quite the opposite. Tarkovsky is the ethos through which the best films are enjoyed. What we can't enjoy are shit films that 99% of this board adore

milkies!

But what if God is a giant asshole?

That's funny, I read Lem's biography where there is a description of his talk with Tarkovsky about his adaptation of Solaris. Lem said it's shit and Tarkovsky didn't understand the book and Tarkovsky was very timid and couldn't defend his vision. So maybe he was ballsy with people he didn't respect or something.

Based Tark on Based Jim's Terminator:
>The brutality and low acting skills are unfortunate, but as a vision of the future and the relation between man and his destiny, the film is pushing the frontier of cinema as an art.

This is why T1 is a masterpiece and James Cameron is a deity. I bet Tark would have loved Titanic

He was literally a Sup Forums contrarian tryhard autist who unironically called people plebs

>Bresson liked James Bond
>Tarkovsky liked Terminator
>Bergman liked Die Hard
>Kubrick liked White Men Cant Jump
>Herzog likes kung fu films
>Malick likes Zoolander
>PTA likes capeshit

really makes you think

>good movies are good
Oh wow it really makes me think!

Based tbqh

I wonder what was good kino to him. Would he enjoy something like "No country for old men" for instance?

>tarkovsky, bresson and dreyer

What is wrong with liking them?

tarkovsky looks like a crack addict pedo

babby's first religious filmmakers

it just means that these people aren't pretentious like retards claim them to be
Kurosawa, funny enough, is kind of a "no fun allowed" type of taste, since his films essentially were the inspiration for Star Wars and thus the modern blockbuster phenomenon

more like the world's greatest religious filmmakers, along with Bergman and Malick. They're famous for a reason. And yeah I know Bergman wasn't really a Christian, but he took his lapsed faith more seriously than any other filmmaker apart from Scorsese. His films have incredible spiritual depth and awareness.

>tarkovsky and children have passion
if you call both those things "passion" you might as well use the word "banana" instead rather than pretend you're saying something

>religious
For simpletons.
>will God answer my fictional characters in my fictional scenrio
Divinity is the true concern

This is because they are not artists, they are visual entertainers and literate amateurs. They are neither intelligent nor profound

Sup Forums: Griffith, Stroheim, Flaherty, St. Clair, Demille, Stoney, Barker, Tourneur, Brown, Strand, Eisenstein

reddit: malick, tarkovsky, bresson, dreyer, ozu, bugman, kubrick, costa, weerasethakul, lynch, duras, brakhage, straubhuillet, benning, beavers, diaz, tarr, hou hsiao-hsien, hong sang soo, ming-liang, piavoli

based

Anons, I'm an atheist but I think there is more to Tarkovsky's message than just that.

>The raison d'etre of art is a prayer.
Think about what a prayer is. Think about what God is to one who is praying to him. Not what God is or isn't by itself, but what is to the one who is praying, sincerely.

When I see something like Interstellar (which I think is shit, but for other reasons), I think Nolan is basically praying to science and space exploration. When you see a Tarantino movie, he is praying to the references that he grew up watching and that made up who he is. To say the raison d'etre of art is prayer, to me, means that any good artist is at this position which is not simply admiration, but a working together with this something which cannot really answer to you directly but that you address it nevertheless. Even shit art is art if made with this in heart.

To be independent of that is to produce and industrial, purely commercial, souless piece of turd, like any capeshit or sw shit.