Webcomics

Webcomics.

Why are they the worst medium ever? Is it because half of them are badly written, fan-service infested romance fantasies by virgins? Or is it because half of them are shitty gamur joke strips?

Also, bad webcomic thread.

I wouldn't say webcomics are the worst medium ever, I would give that to whatever the plural for tableau is. I mean it's like "hey, lets to a play for about one minute but have there be no acting and only narration"

I honestly think webcomics are an utterly fantastic medium. It's not the format itself that causes problems, it's entirely on the people using them

Look at good webcomics like Unsounded. Cope is able to do some really cool shit that would be impossible in a normal comic only once in a while, which is good, cause it means avoiding reliance on gimmicks.

There is so much more cool shit you can do with a webcomic than a print comic. That's technology. The issue is solely with the people making them. You have a LOT of people with little talent, skill or editing ability making these comics.

This is why it always feels like a crapshoot. You have so many webcomics that the good ones almost drown in the crap.

So yeah, while I think you're accurate with
>half of them are badly written, fan-service infested romance fantasies by virgins? Or is it because half of them are shitty gamur joke strips?
I gotta say you're way off mark when you claim the medium itself is shit

Wow that was a shitty post I just made. Reused words and phrases over and over. Terrible format
I need a fucking nap or something.

There are only a handful of webcomics that I follow but I don't any regular comics so at least that's something

Webcomics as a medium are depressingly underutilized due to artist's lack of knowledge about web building or their reluctance to draw anything that can't be printed on paper
The TF2 comic is what made me believe in the medium and I'll be sad if no other comic can ever live up to it

Some user summarized it pretty well and it's that basically there's no barrier to entry. Nowadays more than ever it takes almost no effort to get a website up and running, and the utterly shit taste of the vast majority of people who use social media is what causes them to spread and makes them popular.

Some of my very favorite comics are webcomics, but there's literally no standards in the medium. The issue is that while there's no standards in webcomic publishing, the standards in traditional publishing would preclude some of my favorite webcomic works, which have a broader expanse of genres.

I'm glad they're around.

For some reason the ones that fail the most are humor based ones, maybe because coming up with a good punchline every week is hard, but most of webcomic's authors either don't even try to be funny or the joke is way too specific to get sometimes (see: Penny Arcade, GamerCat).

I guess the ones with a story based on continuity demand a bit more effort, hence that's why it's harder to see shitty ones on that regard (at least for me).

>Why are they the worst medium ever? Is it because half of them are badly written, fan-service infested romance fantasies by virgins?
You mean just like anime and movies and paperback novels and prime-time TV?

Also kind of works with quality vs quantity too If I were to compare Lackadaisy to Bittersweet candybowl, two webcomics about cats, bcb updates 3 times a week, but the art is really simple, lackadaisy on the other hand, I have no idea when it updates, but the art is fantastic and detailed.

That's a very good point.

Your rant reminds me of my brief consideration of trying to make a webcomic. I'd drawn a few strips (badly, I figured as time went on, I'd improve) but never did actually upload them. And lost the actual strips eventually.

The point is... I realized early on that, while I had fun... my comic was going to turn out to be mostly weird in-jokes that vaguely coalesced into a storyline... maybe.

And that I was terrible at both writing and drawing.

In short, I realized no part of what I was capable of making deserved to be shared with others.

That strip is going to be seven years old this year.

>HAHA THEY HAVE VIDEOGAEMES KN THEUR SHIRTS
>HAHAHA THE CAEK IS ALIE AMIRITE
>SHOUTOUT TO ALL MY GEEKS AND GAEMES AMIRITE

that makes its joke even more dated than i thought

No quality/editorial control, they are the prototype for modern marvel.

>their reluctance to draw anything that can't be printed on paper

To be fair, using technologies beyond static images means browser trouble. If you made a webcomic using Flash ten years ago, it would've been unreadable for most people now. Hobo Lobo of Hamelin is a GLORIOUS example of what a webcomic can be, but it doesn't load properly for me in Safari.

Didn't McCloud have
something to say about infinite canvas?

He thought you could charge 5c a page.
Everyone called him a retard and his attempt went poorly, but in a sense he was right; he just didn't account for the large number of people who won't pay but want to read that spread it to the dedicated base who will pay quite a bit.

Sexy Losers was the only webcomic of worth.