Now that the dust has settled, who was in the wrong here?

Now that the dust has settled, who was in the wrong here?

Rian Johnson

Disney

Rian Johnson

fpbp

Luke.

This. But also this

The writer who thought Luke, who was convinced he could redeem Darth Fucking Vader, would try to kill his apprentice so readily.

Well technically he didn't try to kill Kylo, he just thought about it for a second.

There's thinking about it and then there's taking out your weapon and arming it.
It'd be like Ben Solo waking up with a gun pressed to his forehead
>No, wait, I was just thinking about it!

>"Ben it was a prank, you got pranked!"

Wait, is the Sequel trilogy just a Prank War that went too far?
TLJ even ended with Luke one upping Ben in a prank

Jake Skywalker

If I whip my dick out over your sleeping daughter but then decide not to rape her, would you be okay with that?

Everyone.

The more I think about this scene, the more I think Rian Johnson is a fucking idiot.

You were just thinking about it.
It's ok, bro

Definitely Luke, but ultimately Rian Johnson.

Why didn't Luke just use a knife instead of taking out his lightsabre and its ZWOOOMF noise?

lightsaber cut the force so it's immune to force prediction and better for assassination

What's with Luke's creepy ring obsessed Bilbo face?

The screen is from Kylo's POV

In ROTJ, Luke goes to the Death Star with the intention of being completely nonviolent. When Palpatine threatens his friends, Luke tries to kill him. After he comes to his senses and realizes what he's doing, he refuses to fight Vader anymore. Until Vader threatens Leia, then Luke goes apeshit until he realizes he's doing exactly what Palpatine wants.

Luke was always somewhat impulsive, prone to violence when his loved ones are threatened, and kind of bad at handling temptation from evil. He didn't try to kill Ben, he was tempting for a split second and immediately regretted it. If you think that's something he wasn't capable of, you don't understand Luke's character as much as you think you do.

>from Kylo's POV the Jedi are evil
Poetry.

why was kylo growing evil though? Is it because his parent split?

Luke did nothing wrong.

how did snoke reach out to him turning him to the dark side?

Because Snot got to him first. Probably using the force from the other side of the galaxy astral projection style.

Because he wanted to be like Darth Vader

Luke said Snute didn't get to him yet when he had his freak out

It's not like he was taking a shit and the thought flashed in his mind mid-dook. He literally walked up to his bedroom while Ben was sleeping and pulled his "laser sword" out. That's more than thinking about it for a second. If anything he had only had a second of clarity.

That's technically true but the situations are still very different. Palpatine and Vader were mass murdering evil rulers who were going out of their way to taunt and torment him into going apeshit. Kylo Ren was an edgy teenager who only really thought about being evil and hadn't done anything really bad yet and was just trying to sleep when Luke thought" Maybe I should murder my nephew". It's like saying because you willing to kill someone in self defense you're just as likely to kill a child for looking at you funny. It's not really the same thing.

I guess because he felt like his parents abandoned him and Snoke was manipulating him. I think it mostly has to do with him being a whiny edgy teen. Don't know how nobody noticed the giant evil corpse monster turning their son into Space Hitler 2.0.

Or why not just point it at him and turn it on.

Apparently that's a thing in this new series.

Isn't that exactly how Mara Jade kills Luuke Skywalker in The Last Command? I thought people loved that book.

What? He explicitly said snoke had gotten to him already

You misheard, bro
That's why Luke blames himself. He says that Snoke hadn't gotten to him yet so that's why he's all to blame for everything

>If you think that's something he wasn't capable of, you don't understand Luke's character as much as you think you do.

You missed the part where Palpatine was actively goading him on. You missed the part where there was an actual threat to his friends that could be seen right outside the window. You missed the part where Luke shrugged off that brash impulse after seeing his similarities with Vader, spared his father and declared himself a Jedi.

Luke almost went to the grave gambling with the idea that anyone, even Vader, could be redeemed. His plea for his father's help wasn't for no reason and it paid off. You want to tell me Luke, having experienced that moment, reverts back to being an impulsive killing machine? FoH Rian.

No, he said Snoke had gotten to him. That's why he wanted to kill him.

>Apparently that's a thing in this new series.
How is this soemthing groundbreaking? Just cause it hadn't appeared in any other movie yet? What the fuck even are you critiquing retard

Luke went there to read Ben's thought and found out the kid was a lot more evil than he thought and would probably end up killing a shitload of people. Then, he had a brief, fleeting moment of thought about stopping that, and immediately came to his senses and made the right choice. It's not as different as you think it is, and your example doesn't work very well to illustrate the situation. Most people are against murder, but there's a reason the trolley problem is such a philosophical meme. Really, it comes down to how you want to view the situation, and Luke's character.

>Luke goes to save Vader, is blinded by rage and tries to kill Vader when Leia is threatened
>Luke goes to see what Kylo is, is briefly blinded by how evil the kid already is, and momentarily considers doing something about it

Either way, Luke is being impulsive when confronted by evil. With Ben, at least he comes to his senses before hacking his arm off, and realize how shameful even that consideration was. That's a pretty far cry from trying to murder him, which is how a lot of people are framing it.

No he says that he had a vision of evil Ben taking everything Luke loved away from him.
That's why he went to kill him.

Watch the movie again, you missed the point. Luke blames himself for everything because he acted on a vision. Greek tragedy style.

>Luuke
I don't read the SW books. Is this a typo or do fans add additional u's for the clone generation of the downstream resurrected Lukes?

why did luke bring a loaded gun to read his thoughts?

The fans didn't do it, Zahn did. That's just the way he named clones.

jfc it is real -- I was making a joke. Truth is stranger and all that...

>mom's an absent provider
>dad's a deadbeat smuggler
>uncle probably abused him daily to not show favoritism in front of his other students
Kylo had a hard life.