STD: Second Try

I'm drunk, but I don't care, and neither should you. I watched the shitshow that was STD from the very beginning, each episode seeming to get worse until the Mudd episode where he forces a timeloop in order to sell the ship to the Klingons. This episode, out of all of them was the least offensive to me, the most like traditional Trek to me, and all in all I remember it being superior, in the way that chinese products with English translations on their labels say 'Superior Soy Sauce' or 'Superior Tasty Bun'.

Tonight, I decided to rewatch this particular episode, because I thought 'why not, I'm drunk, and maybe STD isn't as bad as I remember.' I hate this shit. I hate it. The music is worse than I thought, the acting (especially on the part of Michael Burnham) is so fucking terrible, and the aesthetic of the show is offensive (I can't find another word for it...it's emotionally and intellectually offensive).

Is there ANYONE out there who actually likes this shit, or can give me any reasons why I should really give it another shot? I honestly thought that with distance from it I might be able to see some good things, and that by rewatching what was clearly the best episode so far, I'd be giving it a fair second try.

But this is awful. Lorca and the Alien guy on hooves are the only saving graces to this show. I hate the gay engineer, I hate his useless gay assistant doctor lover, I hate the random bridge people whose names we can't remember or pronounce, I hate the look of the ship interiors, I hate the music, and most of all I hate the fucking dialogue, which is as 2017 as humanly fucking possible. Why would they try to portray something in the future using dialogue and references of today? 'Toodles'? Who the fuck even says that anymore, and why would they say it 300 years in the future?

Please...can anyone give me a reason why I should keep on watching this shitshow in January when they pick up where they left off? I'm just trying to be fair about it...

It's better than the Kelvin Universe / JJ movies

Anything is better than rectal cancer.Anyway fuck this new shit, just gonna rewatch DS9 again

While I almost agree with you, that still isn't really a good reason. i.e. I'm looking for actual issues of the show that make it worth watching.

Are there things you like, elements you think are thought-provoking or unique, risks they took that made sense or are worth paying attention to...that sort of thing.

Saying it's better than the Kelvin Universe is like saying that TLJ is better than the prequel Star Wars movies....it's valueless as an argument. C'mon, help me out. Sorry for the directness...the wine.

Absolutely garbage

>spore drive

It's awful. I lasted 5 episodes. I never want to go back.

I'm sorry, it's late and i've been on a real lack of sleep since Christmas eve. Maybe we'll discuss this another time.

I know, but we've had a few weeks without any episodes, so at least people have had a chance to calm down a bit.

That's why I'm asking now. When I first watched it, I thought it was complete and utter shit. I rewatched what I thought was the best episode, and it's worse than I remember. I'm just trying to see if there's any fucking reason to keep watching it; in other words, am I missing anything?

it was funny seeing those STD generals go from excited, then hopeful to outright despair and half the thread shitting on everything

Reminder this takes place in the exact same time period as The Cage, the enterprise is out there and Spock is second in command with much less gaudy uniforms and zero holograms

Also didn't seem like there was any kind of war on if a heavy cruiser can go off dicking around saving some crash survivors

Fair enough...it's been busy here too since Christmas. I just can't help but think that there must be SOMEONE on this forum who actually finds value in this series, someone who likes it for legit reasons, and I want to know what those reasons are because for the life of me I can't figure out how this abortion got greenlit.

Yes, it was hilarious and beautiful at first...but it's really damn depressing now (probably because of the wine). The money is being thrown at this thing, and it's horrible. Imagine TNG with the budge of this! But schadenfreude aside, is there anything redeemable in this series?

I forgot. Tilly is useless. She's fucking useless. Why the hell would I want to see a kid officer spilling her fucking spaghetti in every scene when I can see that in real life by going to a fucking Hallmark greeting card store?

They're pushing hard for the 'mirror universe' thing, so I think we can rule out prime universe continuity at the moment.

Of course, if it turns out that they're not in a mirror universe, there are even more problems than I imagined.

Well: Like me, you probably have already watched everithing. A new fix is a new fix, even if it's garbage.

I'd like to believe that, Captain Jellico, but I don't know if they're that smart

>the aesthetic of the show is offensive (I can't find another word for it...it's emotionally and intellectually offensive).
The show definitely has problems, but your own personal problems are even worse. How do you get offended by a fucking aesthetic? You're like those people on [Other Website] who deliberately try and trigger themselves just so they can feel self-righteous and prideful in their indignation. I guess you could say that I'm doing the same thing by getting on my high horse to call you out, but shit, at least I'm not making threads to advertise how upset I am.

It's just a corporate multimedia entertainment franchise, don't treat it like a sacred cow.

I think this is an honest post for once instead of just pasta or trolling, and I applaud it.

I used to hate-watch this show every week just to troll the STD threads. But it got progressively worse every week. And in the end I couldn't even finish the season. I've never experienced this before where a show was so bad I couldn't hate-watch it.

I love star trek, I'm a fan my whole life. In my opinion is the worst star trek series ever made. With the worst MC ever. With the most unlikable crew ever. With the worst writing ever. (yes, worse writing than VOY). It is stunningly, stupefyingly bad. Incredibly bad.

A fair point; this is the kind of dialogue I was hoping to have.

I wasn't intending this thread to be about my victimhood as an audience member, nor do I expect pity from anyone. When I say that the show is offensive emotinally and intellectually it's from the perspective of someone who has expectations of the show due to its history and established canon, plus my own understanding of film and tv aesthetic as well as simple common techniques that are used in the visual medium.

When I use the term 'offended', don't think of the 2017 use of the word, implying that my feelings are hurt. No, it's a recognition of the path that a producer, a DOP, a scriptwriter, any of the people behind the scenes....a path that these people took that always seems to be the worst possible path in terms of communication, of elegance or sophistication, and of course with relation to previously established aesthetics in the Star Trek Universe. The offense comes from the clear and obvious situation that these people KNEW that they were doing something wrong, but they still did it anyway just to be different (or to be 'edgy').

Does that make sense? Also, stay on your high horse; I'm trying to get to the bottom of all of this myself.

As for treating it like a sacred cow...well, perhaps I am. Maybe it's because it seemed so easy in the past for certain elements to stay in line with canon or advance the canon in ways that made logical sense...and for some reason STD seems to either avoid it or contradict it on purpose, and I can't find a reason why. It's not a sacred cow really..it's just inexplicably strange with STD now. Does that make sense?

This. It made me hate everyone who contributed to it especially the Tumblr tier writers

On the plus side at least (please note i have not YET watched STD) it seems like it could be better than the mouse taking star wars and the rape of that franchise so that's a huge +

The aesthetic isn't any more offensive to me than the TMP aesthetic was after TOS, or the TNG aesthetic after that. And honestly, if you let yourself get offended by a fucking aesthetic then I cannot believe that you genuinely went in intending to give it a fair chance.

Precisely! I've been hate-watching this from the beginning, though I really tried to give it a fair shot after the awful pilot.

And I don't like hatewatching things...it seems unfair somehow. That's why I made the damn thread; I'm trying to make sense of something that may not make sense, but I'm also trying to make sure that I'm not just hating on it because I want to hate on it. You know what I mean?

Okay, I'll try to explain myself a little better.

For me, TMP was a remarkable change for the better from TOS in terms of aesthetic; ship design was fantastic, uniforms and sets are practical, well lit, and yet somehow still humane. The jump to TNG was again in the right direction; different, but once again practical, humane, well lit.

In terms of actual filming, we have clarity in both aesthetics, allowing the viewer to focus on the drama, the words, the philosophic concepts that were being broached.

In STD, we've got serious flaws everywhere. The uniforms have problems (the usual zipper critique), the lens flares and shit from the Jar Jar universe still exist, the sets are dark and contain so many sharp corners you can't imagine real people working here for long, and the overall aesthetic is depressing, which can't be conducive for a ship that has people on it for a few years at a time.

Do you believe that the aesthetic design of STD is good?

Where does STD rank on the chart?

>that chart
Dump all the anime, then swap Dr. Who with The Expanse, and stick Rick and Morty right up your unlubed ass and its a bit closer to being correct.

What's wrong with anime?

>then swap Dr. Who with The Expanse

But Harlan Ellison told me Dr. Who is the best thing ever.

>dr who above low tier

It's sad because I agree with it other than that, but dr who is such a meme show and I'm still mad I got tricked into watching it.

>just gonna rewatch DS9 again
why did you have to say that
you were making so much sense and then you made yourself look like a retarded faggot

What you didnt like ds9?

>7 years

>How do you get offended by a fucking aesthetic?

Trek fans are offended because STD was specifically designed to offend us. Fuller is a Trek fan that wanted to make a Star Trek show. He was fired for that. This show is nothing like Trek and wears its title like a serial killer wearing the skin of his victims.

>deliberately try and trigger themselves

Bull fucking shit. You are projecting. I hate female "romcoms". You don't see me watching romcoms and getting angry. I like Star Trek, so I watch Star Trek. The people that made STD hate Star Trek and it is blatantly obvious. Everything they say to reporters shows that.

>It's just a corporate multimedia entertainment franchise

Here comes the last excuse for every bitch. 'Just turn off your brain. Quality doesn't matter.'

>It's better than the Kelvin Universe / JJ

I disagree. Even Jew Jew's parody Trek characters are more likable than the STD crew. Everybody on STD is so detestable that you start rooting for the fake Klingons.

The Kelvin verse knows it's shit so it stays in it's little cinematic bubble where it's ultimately of no consequence to the canon.

STD is a malignant tumor which must be excised before it's corruption can spread.

Star Trek Beyond was great.

The Orville is better just watch that

KILL THE BAD GUYS WITH BEASTIE BOYS LOLZ XD

I will admit it had decent character beats but the plot was retarded

Shit like that would usually upset me, but it was a good call back to the first movie.

Are you talking about the old or new one?