/lbg/

PREV: Letterboxd: Post profiles and discuss what you have recently watched

QotD: What is the definitive example of Horror in film?

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/
youtube.com/watch?v=FveF-we6lcE
letterboxd.com/elcochran90/film/salo-or-the-120-days-of-sodom/
youtube.com/watch?v=2G7oeyOsfSg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

brainlets cannot comprehend this shot even though all the clues necessary are in it

At the same time the camera lies to you about what you see and don't see. The minute you start filming you've already started to lie to your audience.

All art is by definition manipulative. In fact, the best of art is meant to manipulate you into a state of being while you experience it. As long as the manipulation doesn't try to make you do something harmful (like propaganda) then it's good.

letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/

>Sacred deer 4/5
GENES

reanimated corpse

>What is the definitive example of Horror in film?
About Schmidt

>All art is by definition manipulative.
Don't talk about things you have no clue about

About Shit

Whiter than I imagined.

and this is bullshit

hod

hi im farpes and i looooove movies!!!!!!

Post stills you want to hang on your wall

>At the same time the camera lies to you about what you see and don't see
Oops!

>photopresentation
Ah yes, memes
Good job

Broops!

Reminder that this David Wark Griffith made this

youtube.com/watch?v=FveF-we6lcE

i want her to sit on my dicc

>Photopresentation
To capture and reveal inherent dichotomies between socio-structural realities

you fool! it would CRUSH it!

i'd probably kill myself from embarassment if i made that image, oh god wow!

not an argument

I hate this shot, hate everything about it. The only shot I've ever seen from Ozu that I'd consider above standard mediocrity is pic-related

>Photopresentation
>mubies i liek

wrong, sadly, wrong, sadly.

COOL 3D GLASSES!!!!!!!!

You have terrible taste, user. Also you have a strange fascination for phallus. You might want to see a professional.

mubies are reproductive
these are representational

>mubies are reproductive
oh god he's still repeating this, what a loser!

>You have terrible taste, user. Also you have a strange fascination for phallus.
Nice insult. You got your wit from Ozu I presume?

that seems extreme

Oops!

color-coordination is not noteworthy

Thats a good film you posted there. He has a few.

I fear Griffithfag but I also want to be him

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH FUCK GRRIFFFFFFITH!!!!!!!!!!!

>Thats a good film you posted there.
Oops!

What do you mean? They blend into it, meaningless in the frame. One of the most poetic endings.

Melodrama is a valuable tool. The greek tragedies wouldnt be as poignant thousands of years later without it. Subtlety is a privilege for the living.

Tokyo Story, The Only Son, Late Spring, and I Was Born But are mst people's favorite zu's because they're his dumbest

Melodrama is serviceable in post-classicism as reflexive commentary, something Ozu would never understand

>They blend into it.
No. Pic-related is blending

You mean to say they're the ones that deal with the most essential aspects of the human condition as they relate to family as a early instance of Weltschmerz. His more specific films like Ohayo lose Ozu's ability to reveal and only show. Tokyo Story is an essential work of humanity along woth Don Quijote, The Odyssey and Hamlet. Fact!

Oops!

Clearly not. Shot calls attention to the man sitting in the middle.

>Ohayo lose Ozu's ability to reveal and only show
Ozu never reveals. His elliptical editing and abstraction of plot details only make his already overly banal statements more apparent. Griffith and Chaplin are considered distillation, but Ozu is distillation taken too far to the point of oversimplification. Every decision in an Ozu work is mathematically contrived under the false pretense of being a close approximation to life and repeated ad infinitum to the point of didactic lull, there are no detours, no unpredictability, even his contrapuntal formal decisions are contrived in the same manner. Ozu, a known loner and outcast, designs his world's viewpoint in the same way similar loners and outcasts view. He scripted his characters as mouthpieces to tell you the world is this (his) way all the way to his deathbed, and he died that same loner and outcast never learning that it wasn't.

Salo 120 Sodom I liked.

Blade Runner 2049 is easy 4/5.

>Blade Runner 2049 is easy 4/5

Blade Runner 2049 is easy

Fun fact, D.W. Griffith was well known around Hollywood for his leaky bladder, he was often found with pants wet with piss, which led to crowds of people forming a circle around him and chanting "Pisspants Davie!"

>Every decision in an Ozu work is mathematically contrived under the false pretense of being a close approximation to life
Factuallu wrong. Ozu has no pretense to depict or aprox reality. Ozu is a dramatist in the vein of the Greeks. And like the Greeks, he sets out to moralize reality. Every detail as you say in an Ozu is mathematically organized to moralize the viewer. Instead of engaging in this discussion, you snarl and spit at it because it is in fact too engaged in its intention for you. What you call detours or unpredictability is your own wish to escape the discussion in favor of distraction. Ozu never made a film to entertain you, he made it to teach something and you're mad. He never made a film actually. He wasnt interested in film as medium in itself.

Pier Paolo had it coming

Pasolini the Pedo

Pisspants Griffith was found dead this morning in what appears to be a triple-double suicide, the group of young rentboys he frequented apparently tricked D.W. Griffith (creator of films such as Birth of a Nation by Nate Parker and Intolerance by Jordan Peele) into killing himself as part of some new-wave cult scheme.

letterboxd.com/elcochran90/film/salo-or-the-120-days-of-sodom/

>Ozu is a dramatist in the vein of the Greeks
No, and he's only like for archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/91844230
see: This is the comfiest movie I know; Nothing but quiet, artistically-arranged scenes of people drinking and talking about melancholy things

Ozu:
>stare at camera, spout moral of story
>aesthetically and tonally steal from silent films

I have a 20 masterpieces of mise-en-scene list coming up that dumdums can consult for peak visual communication

youtube.com/watch?v=2G7oeyOsfSg

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

David Lean, simply the best.

>depth of simplicity
Ummm sweetie, you mean Flaherty

Pisspants Griffith was raped last night when he went for a stroll, police tried to intervene but Mr. Pisspants told them not to, shortly after the orgy Mr. Griffith was arrested for sodomy.

Flaherty questions the big ideas, how to extend life beyond mortality

University students, for instance, most of them liberals, were both perplexed and angered because Pasolini, a man who had long promoted himself as a friend of the masses, refused to support their movement for a fairer, more representative government. He further infuriated Italy’s liberal element by taking a stand against the legalization of divorce, as well as abortion. Although he had mocked the family in Teorema and had referred to marriage as “a funeral rite,” the filmmaker now claimed he had always revered the tradition of heterosexual marriage and the family. Also irritating was the fact that Pasolini, although homosexual, kept a noticeable distance from Italy’s budding gay and lesbian community, even going so far as to oppose its efforts to secure gay rights legislation. His antigay stance did not prevent him from cruising for underage sex partners six nights a week at precisely the same hour each evening; indeed his sexual addiction was in full swing until the moment of his death.

don't give a fuck what that literal faggot thinks
another bresson, asks questions bigger than himself but never produced anything of worth

*BREATHS IN

Thats because you cant engage in conversational pieces of art. You're a degenerate aestheticist. You dont care about what Griffith is communicating, you only care about the technique. You're interest in film extends to tidbits such as "this is an example of early montage" or "this work pioneered dynamism", etc, etc. You're afraid of meaning in film. Its all craft to you, no art.

Griffith nigger can only find meaning in a film if it's told.

>art
David Dessereditor of “Ozu’s ‘Tokyo Story;’” and Talking with Ozu, points out that Ozu considered himself a craftsman, or something akin to a tofu maker not an artist

No I know what Griffith is communicating, and I also know how he is communicating it, that's why he's the BEST.

More importantly, do you know what he's communicating
What is the message of Birth

Ingmar Bergman

The dumdums that suck off Ozu can't watch early talkies

That looks like shit

Dingbat Bugman

Underrated and overrated at the same time.
>plebs love Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries
>No one talks about The Silence or Scenes from a Marraige

It's compressed. But you would know shit since pic-related is literal shit.

who the fuck names their film The Wild Strawberries

Marriage Circle > Scenes from a Marriage

Wrong

The dumdums that suck off Ozu can't watch early talkies.

14TH POSTER!

wow so pretty

t. only silent film seen is slapstick, lang, or late murnau

>89 replies
>14 posters

smugemilyjean.png

Wrong again!

haha, pete the neet failed again!

post your profile, new thread

I am so fucking sick of superhero shit bros

Federico Fellini

I DON'T EAT
I DON'T SLEEP
I DO NOTHING BUT THINK OF YOU

YOU KEEP ME UNDER YOUR SPELL

First time coming to Sup Forums in a while. I only kept a letterboxd like 2 years ago and only had like 5 movies in it. Sorry, came here to talk, i dont log what i watch. I dont see the appeal. Cool general, I might start

Lovely film