WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

>Director James Gunn added Ego as Star-Lord's father before learning that the characters rights belonged to 20th Century Fox. The studio eventually traded Ego to Marvel Studios in exchange for altering Negasonic Teenage Warhead's powers and appeaeance for DEADPOOL.

>Gunn was advised against including a particular alien race, the Sneeps, because their name resembles the Icelandic slang for female genitalia. The studio eventually relented to their appearance.

>Early drafts included the Nova Empire, and John C. Reilly and Glenn Close were approached to return as Daenerian Rhoman Dey and Nova Prime Irani Rael, but Reilly was unavailable due to scheduling conflicts, and was ultimately written out alongside Rael.

>Early drafts included the Collector, but Benicio Del Toro couldn't return to scheduling conflicts.

>Early drafts featured Adam Warlock as the Sovereigns' secret weapon deployed to kill the Guardians, but the character was ultimately cut as he was superfluous to the narrative.

>Early cuts featured a longer segment on Earth including cameo appearances from Nathan Fillion as fictional actor Simon Williams and Gregg Henry as Grandpa Quill in a scene filled with Easter Eggs, but both were ultimately cut from the movie.

>Early cuts featured a sixth post-credits scene in which Gamora and Mantis hearing the screams of one of the Ravagers who were pierced by Yondu's arrow and has presumably been forgotten and screaming in agony throughout the third act of the movie. This was deleted as it confused test-audiences.

>Matthew McConaughey was approached to play Ego, but ultimately declined, and Kurt Russell was cast at Chris Pratt's suggestion. Liam Neeson and Gary Oldman were also considered.

>Chris Pratt proposed a scene where Quill recognizes that Ego is using actor Kurt Russell's likeness, but Gunn declined it.

>David Bowie was slated for a cameo before his death in 2016.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iQAq7qW0WKs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>>Matthew McConaughey was approached to play Ego, but ultimately declined, and Kurt Russell was cast at Chris Pratt's suggestion. Liam Neeson and Gary Oldman were also considered.
I'm kind of surprised that Jeff Bridges wasn't approached for the role.

>>Early drafts included the Nova Empire, and John C. Reilly and Glenn Close were approached to return as Daenerian Rhoman Dey and Nova Prime Irani Rael, but Reilly was unavailable due to scheduling conflicts, and was ultimately written out alongside Rael.
I'm fine with this. I'm just glad the film didn't feel like it was retrending the first film.

>>Chris Pratt proposed a scene where Quill recognizes that Ego is using actor Kurt Russell's likeness, but Gunn declined it.
Aw dude, don't do that.
That's gay.
That's like that stupid movie, Contact.

Pratt could probably have sold me on it.

>Chris Pratt proposed a scene where Quill recognizes that Ego is using actor Kurt Russell's likeness, but Gunn declined it.
Why is Pratt such a fanboy?

So he never had plans for Phyla and Moondragon.

Feels bad.

I thought the same thing (cause of Starman), then I remembered he already played Obadiah Stane way back in Iron Man.

>>>Chris Pratt proposed a scene where Quill recognizes that Ego is using actor Kurt Russell's likeness, but Gunn declined it.
But we did sort of get that? When they were leaving with Ego to go back to his planet, Peter pulled out a cut-out of a magazine or something with Kurt Russell and looked suspiciously at Ego.
And then Ego outright said that he chose that form intentionally.

>the Icelandic slang for female genitalia

Yes, Im sure all 12 of them would have been quite offended

>a cut-out of a magazine or something with Kurt Russell
That was David Hasslehoff, not Kurt Russel.

That was hasselhoff, and it was used by Ego to mock Peter, so it kinda happened.

When you remember Hasselhoff played Nick Fury...

W-was it? It was quick, but he had the same crazy hair as '80s Ego so I just assumed.

Yeah he switched to Hasselhoff real quick but he was talking about how he chose a form that would appeal to Peter and other people, with Russell. That's the impression I got.

That was David Hasselhoff the guy who fought monsters, aliens and gave Spongebob a ride.

I'm hoping for Phyla to show up in Captain Marvel.

I just hope Gunn doesn't shove up the whole lesbian mentat on Mantis like people have been theorizing.

There's more.

>In early drafts, Mantis is reportedly named as one of Ego's children and the only one he kept alive for being useful.

>In early drafts, Ego's planet was reportedly named J'son.

>Early concept art features a green-skinned Mantis.

>Early concept art features Starhawk with a more comics-accurate suit including the classic helmet.

>Early drafts did not include Yondu's death, but Gunn was ultimately forced to admit it was the logical conclusion of the character arc.

>ELO initially refused to give the rights to "Mr. Blue Sky" after their song "Living Thing" was cut from the first movie.

>Gunn added Taserface specifically to make fun of him as he considers the name to be the most ridiculous thing he ever came across in a comic book.

Aside from Grandpa Quill's appearance, Gunn only deleted superfluous moments of pre-existing scenes, such as:

>Drax awkwadly hugging Quill after telling him that Gamora isn't the right woman for him.
>Nebula mistakenly calling the team "The Gardens of the Galaxy" and being corrected by Gamora.
>Drax loudly slurping soup to the other Guardians' annoyance during the campfire with Ego in Berhart.
>Two alternative takes of Drax addressing the other Guardians after Mantis is hit by debris: One in which he says "Did you see? That almost hit me!" and one in which he says "I tried, guys".
>Drax loudly proclaiming the Sovereigns to be stupid when they arrive to pursue the Guardians in Ego.

>In early drafts, Mantis is reportedly named as one of Ego's children and the only one he kept alive for being useful.
Fuck you Gunn. I wanted cute imouto shenanigans between Mantis and Peter.

>Early concept art features Starhawk with a more comics-accurate suit including the classic helmet.
Bet this one's on Sly.

>Aside from Grandpa Quill's appearance, Gunn only deleted superfluous moments of pre-existing scenes, such as:
>Nebula mistakenly calling the team "The Gardens of the Galaxy" and being corrected by Gamora
>Drax loudly slurping soup to the other Guardians' annoyance during the campfire with Ego in Berhart.
>Two alternative takes of Drax addressing the other Guardians after Mantis is hit by debris: One in which he says "Did you see? That almost hit me!" and one in which he says "I tried, guys".
>Drax loudly proclaiming the Sovereigns to be stupid when they arrive to pursue the Guardians in Ego.
Good.

>Drax awkwadly hugging Quill after telling him that Gamora isn't the right woman for him.
I guess it also makes sense but I liked this one.

>Gunn added Taserface specifically to make fun of him as he considers the name to be the most ridiculous thing he ever came across in a comic book.
He might be the only one. By far the worst joke of the movie.

Taserface surprisingly got the biggest laughs at my theater.

I found it overlong myself.

>He might be the only one. By far the worst joke of the movie.
I disagree. I got a kick out of that.

Life is pain

Why?

Taserface is a standard comic book name. There's nothing overly funny about it.

It can't be helped, user. David got too close to Stan.

>>Drax awkwadly hugging Quill after telling him that Gamora isn't the right woman for him.
Would've been nice if they kept that in the movie. I liked it in the trailer.

What was Mantis saying when about Rocket being grouchy again, I couldn't understand it?

>you'll never bite Mantis in her vhand

>That crabby puppy is so cute he makes me wanna die!

>You will never get to bully Mantis

It's a very 90s cape name, and was deservedly made fun of. Who the fuck would find a name like Taserface intimidating?

I want Zoe Saldana to yell at me

Still it wasn't funny for the joke to be that long.
Is not even close to being one of the worse 90s names.

I damn this existence of flesh and bone I've been cursed with.

Taserface should have just said it referred to his "stunning good looks."

This one right here. This hurts the most.

The clipping was hasslehoff.... The person quill pretended to be his dad.

And I want to fix Karen Gillian's fucked up posture with my dick.

The issue is that not only is it not that weird among comic book names, it's being mocked in a film featuring a character named Rocket Raccoon and another one who spent the last movie trying to get people to call him Star-Lord. As a joke it was overused; it's an "isn't this funny" joke, which works once or twice, but not when it's repeated something like a half dozen times in short order. It, along with the rampant tone switching, really hurt the Ravagers subplot by undercutting him as an antagonist at every turn.

we got Snake as Ego so im ok

>tfw Ziggy could have been in the MCU

youtube.com/watch?v=iQAq7qW0WKs

>>David Bowie was slated for a cameo before his death in 2016.

If they wanted him for anything other then Ziggy Star dust it would only pale in comparison, it still would have been great.

I would trade Stan any day of the week to get one more year of Bowie.

Heroes played randomly yesterday and I spent the whole time longingly staring out into nothing the whole fucking time.

Last action Hero really solves my head cannon for this kind of issue. I think the russos even joke about this. He's Ego. The guy in The Thing and Escape From NY? That's... Stallone or Bruce Willis or Mel Gibson or someone else. It gets too meta at times.

Rocket is just Rocket in the movies. And Star-Lord has an actual reason behind it and is also made fun of.

Where's the merit behind Taserface?

It's metaphorical!

I love the first movie, but I hated this new one

Taserface has an actual reason behind it too. And he isn't made fun of wanting to be called Star-Lord in the film either.

I disliked the whole Taserface thing, the name isn't even funny, but this "It's metaphorical!" thing cracked me up.

It's a stupid name with a stupid reason behind it. Like calling yourself knifemouth.

I want someone to draw Mantis touching Rocket as he sleeps to read his emotions and tearing up because of the horrifying trauma he's endured.

>taserface
I agree, it stopped me dead the first time I read Valentino's Guardians.