What the fuck even was this? I was told that this was supposed to be one of the best films ever made...

What the fuck even was this? I was told that this was supposed to be one of the best films ever made, and I feel like I was lied to. Did I miss the point? Was there a point at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

kubrick2001.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

spacekino

t. literal brainlet

This flick is the very definition of pseudointellectual garbage made to cater to a pretentious crowd of fedora tipping try hards. Nothing about it is special and it aged like milk. There is no deeper meaning to the film and the only ones who think there is are the lowest common denominator.

unironically 2deep4u

not even memeing

its not straight forward, so you may have missed the point, it has to do with the evolution of humans and has great cinematography, But i could easily see ppl not liking it. I would google its meaning

EVOLUTION

textbook example of 30 iq brainlet trying to cope with his own condition.

At least you're honest about being a brainlet

>What the fuck even was this?
A film
>I was told that this was supposed to be one of the best films ever made, and I feel like I was lied to. Did I miss the point?
The point is to have a great transformative experience
>Was there a point at all?
See above.

did you like anything about it?

t. asshurt pseudo intellectuals
You aren't smart. Liking this schlock doesn't make you smart. This is a very bad film.

Hurr durr

de movie no hav enuf pew pew lasers wher r da space battuls

I liked the cinematography and the effects. It didn't look like it was made in 1968. The plot of the film just wasn't anything special to me. Maybe I missed something because so much of the plot is nonverbal

the film relies on the viewer having an imagination.

dont hate the movie, hate your brain.

Aren't there 20 Star Wars threads up right now you should be posting in?

THIS
I cannot stress this enough
If you want everything wrapped in a simple brainlet packet, go watch Interstellar

Why is it a "very bad film" in your opinion?

>There is no deeper meaning
lmao is the surface meaning not enough?

Yes yes keep going on, mr.pea brain lmaoooo

I think 2001 holds up on a number of levels.

Fun, creative display of a potential future with a beautiful retrofuture aesthetic. The minutae of space travel, grip shoes, synthetic sandwich meats, zero gravity toilets, videophones, tablet computers, super AI, Cold War politics in the space age etc. Speculative fiction is always interesting if only as a time capsule that reflects what we could and couldn't predict.

There's also the thematic content of the film, which gives a God's eye look at the evolution of a species and suggests the important junctions of human history. The invention of weapons. The first conquerors, a jump cut to man's conquest of space, cyclical tribalism and evolution. Then there's the next step of human evolution as unknowable to us as space age humanity is to the ape-man. I think the film does a good job communicating the ineffable. The Renaissance room's intermixing of future and past is a powerful celebration of human ingenuity and progress. The monolith is also a great filmic symbol, when has the unknown ever been better communicated visually? That's not even getting into HAL and all the themes surrounding AI and the creation of life.

It's a fascinating movie that I see something new in every time I watch it. It's an intentionally slippery film because it wants to evoke contemplation. Of course it has no hidden truth or meaning or thesis statement. I don't know where this reductive approach to film has come. When was the last time you asked what the "point" of a piece of music was? Film is art, not propaganda, you are supposed to feel it.

Yo shitty.

1. Watching movies does not make you smarter.
2. 2001 is a very good-made film who was created in '68. I bet you don't know why Seven Samurai is aprreciated.

It's the closest a movie has ever come to making me feel cosmic dread and divine awe. The monolith scenes literally make my hair stand on end. It's sublime.

comprehensive
complete

kubrick2001.com/

It's the peak of the medium you dummy

>Did I miss the point?
Yes, but I don't blame you. It's kind of a tough movie. Do you feel you understand the story of the movie?

moronic

It’s quite possibly the greatest example of visual storytelling ever filmed.

It's a very strong example of how to tell a story without relying on the dialog, it's also a visually and aurally pleasing film; the gist of what makes it great is how understandable it is without exposition, there are mysteries in the film that, if solve, don't add practically anything to the experience.

It's great in a similar way Citizen Kane is great, it's an exploration of the medium and it shows you how creative a filmmaker can be.

Nothing transformative about this unless you were alive during the time of release to see it in cinemas

2001 is sublime. Citizen Kane is a brash, obnoxious melodrama.

That's what books are for

fuck off grampa nobody gives a fuck

children should be seen and not heard

>any art
>not being about imagination

imagine being this braindead. just drooling all day until the audiovisual box gives you your daily stim

D E L I B E R A T E L Y B U R I E D