It's salt

>It's salt.
Why did this guy eat dirt? That's essentially what he did. He didn't know it was salt.

>*sips*

It's a bad movie.

He thought it was Snoke

To show that this was an original movie unlike tfa and it wasn't a copy of esb
>It's salt, not ice like hoth you dummies,

>*slurrrp*
>it's sand... and some water too

>eats salt
>dies
greatest character arc of all time

That's what I said. Sodium chloride.

Why is the resistance frontline 100% white men?

this was one of the deepest scenes ever to appear on the big screen. Mankind will wonder about its deep meaning until the end of time.

"It's cyanide."

>we need to explain this to the Disney audience somehow

>It's treason

Dude. It's salt.

They could have easily just had a throw away scene of some mechanic making a comment about being careful because the salt corrodes the arc turbine regular compressor vaccuum tubes or some other tech buzzword, instead of pummeling the audience in the face with the obvious.

It was Rian's way of tasting the salt of all the angry alt-righters on Sup Forums

>Countless scenes of ground troops in TLJ and R1
>You barely see them actually fight against Stormtroopers
R1 was slightly better but why do they refuse to do any good infantry combat scenes?

Women don't fully understand subtlety.

That’s what you do if your decked out in commando gear. You nibble bits of earth, shit, tree, whatever

I always tasted the ground before I went into combat.

The scene is there to show you that the white stuff is only a thin salt layer that easily disturbed by people walking on it. During the fight scene, there are several shots of Luke's feet that show he's not disturbing the salt, even thought Kylo Ren is. It's part of setting up Luke projection.

>it's not snow so it's not Hoth wink wink

Foreshadowing the audience's reaction.

It seems the Resistance is mostly light-skinned in general. Finn is the only dark-skinned one and he was originally picked up by the First Order from who knows where.
I don't know how Star Wars systems and the ethnicities of humans living there line up tbqh.

You don't have to have someone fucking lick the ground in order to explain Luke isn't there.

Ok, but the guy still didn't have to taste it and proclaim that it's salt.

But then we wouldn't have a perfect meme reaction image.

Cocaine. The whole planet is cocaine.

Who else but white men would lay down their life for freedom and justice?

I laughed more than I should have.
Thanks, user.

>facebook filename
Fuck off to your shithole, cuckerberg.

To tell the audience that it’s salt.

>it's soy boy tears...

It's not just sodium chloride, it's clearly something different like alae salt, which would have some silica, some oxygen, and a lot of iron in it.

They should have just had a character mention that "the ski-speeders will likely kick up a lot of dirt DUE TO THE THIN LAYER OF SALT".

It explains why it's something white that footsteps mess with. That salt layer is kind of a key plot point, because of the foreshadowing, so it's understandable to draw some attention to it. Yeah, it's unnecessary to be that obvious about it, but apparently it was too subtle for most people to even understand, so it don't see a problem with it anymore.

It's heroin.

>it's soy

How were they able to breath without masks?

Based.

Good point

I don't get it. Does she hate the movie or not? It's like she thinks both trilogies can't be shit.

Who the fuck is this soyboy?

Why did the resistance have to all do a last stand at this inescapable fortress? Why not just act like a real guerilla resistance force and scatter all over the planet and hide/ escape? Did they really think they could hold of or laughably defeat the first order army? I swear the resistance are the dumbest most suicidal idiots in the galaxy. You have a literal entire planet to disappear into but you waste time and lives charging at the first order in barely functioning skimmer. Brillent!

>Star Wars fans
ftfy

The plan wasn't to have a last stand. They were planning on sneaking to the base unnoticed, then hiding out there until they would leave and regroup with sympathetic parties. Because of the betrayal, the First Order found out about the plan and attacked them.

I would have put it in the part where they are getting into those weird fighter craft.

POE: Remember to get a good distance from the trench before you deploy the skids, and stay clear of each other's backblast; we'll be kicking up a lot of salt, and I'm the only one here good enough to pilot blind.

>*Crunch crunch*
>Hmm, sand huh?

>*Melts in mouth
>Ahhh brainfreeze, it's snow!!!

>finn lands on jakku
>licks the ground
>Its... brown sugar?

It's a metaphor
Ground is covered under a thin layer of white, underneath the ground is red, guy tastes it and says that it tastes salty.
It just shows that the First Order is built on blood

>implying backflipping Yoda and Dex were bad

Dex's diner is a throwback to American Grafitti.

We can believe that this universe shares out language, cultural phrases, curses and puns but a diner is to much?

JJs pawn shop is fine though

Soomeone do one for the trash compactor from a new hope.

You can smell the salt, that is why it is called smelling salt.

The prequels were fun, to be honest.

>pawn shop

That's very basic economy, though; people trading things they have for things they want. A diner straight out of the 50's is stranger.

>throwback to American Graffiti

Who gives a fuck? If the work crews in Raiders of the Lost Ark had a Jawa walking around, it would be just as off. They're different movies, the fact that they have the same director doesn't excuse sloppy, self-indulgent choices. You can do a greasy spoon restaurant with some art deco and chrome, throw in a nod to Wolfman Jack, and pay a better homage than just straight dropping Mel's into SW.

>It's tape

Newfag.

I've legitimately never fallen asleep to a movie except one of the prequels.

He needed to know he wasn't on Hoth. Guys, get it? He now knows he isn't on Hoth. It's completely different, because Hoth is snow and this place is salt.

>she

>"It's salt."
>"Which salt?"
>*man dies*
>"Potassium Cyanide."

How does that make the movie any better? TLJ was way worse than the prequels.

Ive thought of a way to hit ITS SALT to the audience ahilst still having a Marvel Moment™
>early in the film two random grunts are having soup and one bitches about how its flavorless
>Fast forward to Salt Hoth and one grunt is taking two cans of soup to his grunt buddy. He pauses and slyly scoops some salt into one of the cans of soup then hands it to his buddy
>Asks how it tastes his buddy says great
>Grunt 2 shrugs and scoops some salt in his own can and drinks it

smoke?

Because you can't kill them off if they're in the back.

He's trying to excuse something he knows is bad by putting it next to something generally considered to be worse.

Haha SUBVERTED

>Pair of random grunts who act as comic relief
Worked in Pirates of the Caribbean, which Disney has been trying to find a successor for.

How did they not disturb the salt layer on the way into the base, if the only way in they knew was from the front? Did the critters disturb the layer on the way in? Why is the surface perfectly undisturbed in an environment with crystal feline wildlife running about in packs?

appeal to hypocrisy

because they think the audience is stupid

>think

What's that? I thought the ice foxes were purely cg?

they were

That would've been a great line. And yet, they gave Poe hamfisted expositional dialogue at the end with trailer material "epic" depth.
>He's doing this to distract them. He's buying us time to flee. He's doing this so we can leave. He's sacrificing himself for us. For we are the spark that lights the fuse that ignites the fuel inside the First Order's combustion engines!

is that Gareth Edwards

The guy next to Salt Sipper? Indeed.

>*lick*
>tastes like star wars fanboys
THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT

>*munch*
>it's Space

>*pokes*
>It's cunny

>*cuts to cgi pokemon six more times to emphasize their disappearance later

to make exposition for the audience
lazy writing

*reaches down and licks
IT'S LAVA

What is it then? a test?

my man thanks for taking one for the team. I thought it was some kind of orange river

Lol

topkek

I know.

lul

>it's granite.

Underrated

I still don't get what Sup Forums sees in this scene.

I'm not even defending it to be good, it's just plain ordinary scene. I hated TLJ for several reasons, but why do you make such a fuzz over this? Is it just for the meme or is it an actual complaint?

>but he didn't have to taste it!!
Yes, but he did, what was the matter? Guy was looking at the other walk and leave the red trail, tastes it to see what it is, tells the other guy.

What exactly is fucking wrong?
By the way, it was aesthetic as fuck, I'll give them that.

>Why did this guy eat dirt?
Because he craves that mineral

They decided on a progressive stack. So all the black and brown people are leaders and all the white people must be grunts. Regardless of military qualifications or experience.

It's where the movie slows down for ten seconds and has a believeable line of dialogue.

>h-hey guys I hated TLJ myself t-too but this scene you're laughing at i-isn't so bad
Transparent shill is transparent

It lacks sincerity.
>It's salt. Not snow. The viewers may think it's snow, so I will now dispel that notion - it is, in fact, salt.

Because it would be slandered for glorifying violence against women if any frontline grunts or stormtroopers were women.

Women are only allowed to die cleanly, quickly, and heroically. They're not allowed to lie screaming for mommy/daddy in the dirt after their gut was blown open by a blaster, or after Rey chopped three of their limbs off.

That's the wrong kind of equality.
I mean I don't think women should be pilots or admirals either but if they're gonna shoehorn muh stronk womyn in there they should at least be consistent with it, but as per usual they want to have their cake and eat it too.