Exactly what was the purpose of destroying all of the previous Avatars?

Exactly what was the purpose of destroying all of the previous Avatars?

To take a massive dump on all the fans who cared about lore.

It made for a cool shot

It was just a general fuck you to the fans. She's the Avatar, deal with it.

I'm not sure. All it did was make her look bad. It also marked her as the most incompetent avatar ever.

(You)

At least her wife's face was never stolen?

Not them, but there really seems to point to it otherwise

Isn't that too many avatars?
Like, one of them is a single generation. Let's say a century.

>5 posts
>6 posters

(yet)

Kyoshi was 400.

They were destroyed?
I haven't seen the show in years

To destroy any chances of a sequel/prequel even then you literally have korra as the new avatar's only guide
>hey I need help to overcome my problems
>have you tried being gay?
Korra has fucked up both the past and the future

That's even worse.
How many fucking millennia have passed in that universe?

The world has been around a long time, friend.

Korra fucks up and gets them all "killed" in the season 2 finale

gotta destroy the franchise

"Korra's incompetence chokes the past, present and future. All hope is lost."

Well E;R's reniggings video somewhat convinced me that Bryke were attempting to destroy the previous lore and carve their own. Start over as it were

If its anything like the progression of history in the real world from the very beginning of civilization to around the industrial revolution, it would be about 10,000 to 12,000 years of history.

Yeah, but civilization as we know it much less

Unalaq killed them though

Only due to Korra failing to several levels

Considering the first series, was there any way Korra wouldn't be disappointing in some regard? I mean Avatar was good and all, but considering how many people hailed it as THE adventure show of our time, there's no way it could live up to the hype.

Also it felt like everything they wanted to explore was nixed or hobbled by the fact that it was airing on Nick.

Because Unalaq is an evil crazy bastard who fundamentally disagreed with the Avatar's approach to spirits. Basically, because fuck 'em.

To try and force people to like Korra. Basically the Marvel mindset.

Avatar Wan (the first one) was 10,000 years before Korra, and according to Roku there have been at least 1,000 Avatars
The average lifespan of an Avatar is 10 years

WATCHOUT

Sure.

Focus on the world that captivated everyone instead of a single city, focus on the characters chemistry that made everyone fall in love with the Gaang so hard, develop everyone's unique personality and give them all an arc that takes time to fulfill, lots of things.

Plotholes? We'll forgive them. Asspulls? Happen on occasion. Crude humor like fart jokes? Didn't need them but the fans will let them slide every now and again. But the story had to be compelling. Fail to make the chemistry interesting, the world extraordinary, the journey a boring ride on the other hand?

You can only look over so much, when you have less heart, less interesting characters, less love all around(Despite the irony of so much romance early on), and what do you get?

A shitty sequel.

>, and according to Roku there have been at least 1,000 Avatars
Or, he was just exaggerating to make a point

Your entire post is basically "wahhh why isn't TLOK exactly like ATLA"

No ghost cheat codes that Aang had to use

To show beyond a shadow of a doubt that Korra is a Fucking idiot, and the worst Avatar to exist.

Aang was such an awesome character and people were so much more interested in what happened to the gaang instead of interested in Korra that the writers felt like they needed to sever the lines so that Korra couldn't go to Aang or the other avatars for help. She had to be her own strong, independant fuckup.

If they didn't then they would have been hounded by "Why didn't Korra just go avatar mode and have Aang fight for her?!?!" tweets and threads.

You ever wonder if Koh heard the portals were permanently open? That's a hardcore horror story waiting to happen.

The first avatar was 10,000 years ago.

>be the new avatar
>figure out I can ask my past life for guidance
>"have you tried being genuinely stupid and bull-headed"

earth bro is fucked

so Bryke could permanently fuck up the series

>Yeah, but civilization as we know it much less
Graham Hancock, Randal Carlson. Enjoy.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but

Overarching plot across multiple seasons. Yeah yeah, the first season was a one shot thing. Maybe they should've negotiated for that a bit harder, it was the sequel to a hit series and all. You could cut out any two given season villains and polish those left into something much better.

Most of the failures of Korra were from things not getting enough polish, or being rushed and falling flat stupidly. S1 starts strong villain-wise but crashes into a dumpster, S2 is S2, S3 is praised for guys who are actually pretty one-dimensional(they're cool, sure, but with the seasonal limit we can't expand on them at all.) S4's conflict begins entirely off-stage and was a little too important for that and makes more of the participants in it look stupid.

Could've lived up to and beaten the hype if it wasn't for all the plot holes and shit. ATLA told a simple story and told it well. Korra tried to tell about 3-4 stories that all ended with wet farts.

"why didn't we get another strong simple story driven by character interaction instead of a plot hole filled set of idiot plots" is a pretty good question

Korra was a just a girl who made all the wrong friends and all the wrong choices

>a plot hole filled set of idiot plots" is a pretty good question
It's not because we didn't get that.

Pretty sad tbqh. I even liked the stupid kid korra scene at the very start. "Ah, we're gonna get the brash, strong firey counterpart to Aang's classical buddhist monk pacifism stuff."

"Ah shit. Too brash."

"Ah fuck, too stubborn."

"Ohhhhhh nooooo."

>avatar series 3 is about earth avatar going back to the past to undo korra

to shit even further over the previous series

to establish korra as its own show, basically to give avatar a soft reboot
ironically enough korra would have worked as a 6 episode short, it was planned as a pilot season with an open end in case they got a contract for three more seasons tho

The entirety of the reveal of S1 hinges on a plot hole. The plot is ultimately dim-witted nonsense. S2 is the all-star of plot holes and idiots doing stupid things. S3 seems better but is ultimately driven by the heroes being morons. The villains are generally competent but flat. S3 also exists almost entirely via raw coincidence, which might've been excusable with a better track record. S4 in it's entirety is the result of a morally gray idiot plot fiesta.

Wow, how come clothing and general lifestyle didn't change at all in 10k years prior to Korra?

>tfw Korra might have been great if only Amon and the Red Lotus were the villains split between the 4 books so they could get proper development

Its been a long time can someone tell me how Avatar state worked without the past avatars? Was it her channeling JUST Raava's power? I mean AS can't be a power multiplier based number of past avatars cause that would be crazy but Korra's AS would be way weaker without the past avatars right?

>The entirety of the reveal of S1 hinges on a plot hole.
Do you even know what a plot hole is? Because there are none in either show.

>The plot is ultimately dim-witted nonsense. S2 is the all-star of plot holes and idiots doing stupid things.
Book 2 doesn't have plot holes and the only character doing stupid things in B2 is Korra but that's not even most of the time

> S3 seems better but is ultimately driven by the heroes being morons.
It isn't driven by that at all though

> The villains are generally competent but flat.
I don't think you know what flat means

>S3 also exists almost entirely via raw coincidence, which might've been excusable with a better track record.
I'm curious as to what you think isn't excusable.

>S4 in it's entirety is the result of a morally gray idiot plot fiesta.
Nothing wrong with that

This has horrific implications, there must have been mass genocides of the avatars for thousands of years, every one they find gets slaughtered as children.

They didn't think about their original series at all.

>Wow, how come clothing and general lifestyle didn't change at all in 10k years prior to Korra
It did though? Like, a lot

because E;R already explained why

>Amon is the first wave to see if the world is receptive to getting rid of benders, Zaheer and boys are in the shadows
>Unalaq goes rogue, Zaheer and boys use the chaos to get started
>Zaheer and boys go big with Amon returnin'
>everybody gets taken down but Kuvira takes up Red Lotus colors and Zaheer is giving her advice from the earth kingdom secret clockwork orange prison

Sprinkle all four seasons with red lotus ideals, stuff about man seizing his own destiny from spirits or something, etc. Cut the really obvious blunders(no limit bloodbending, rewrite most of S2, characterize Zaheer and the boys from S1.) It's sad how much a pacing rewrite might've saved the show.

fug I still remember when Mad Stan looked to Boom Boom Explodey Girl and said LIKE THAT TIME WE SAVED YOU FROM THAT GUY and they just dropped it there, no sweet flashback or story or nothin'. We're the Anarchiest!!!! That's our motivation!!!!!

A) they stopped caring, it's all Raava and B) Korra always jobbed until such time as she had to finish the season with a win anyway

I like to imagine Koh is bound to his cave for some reason, or else he could just venture the spirit world and steal faces he was a higher up there

Yeah I always took it to be that way, that Koh was confined to the tree-cave thing

The clothes from Wan's time is more or less the same as the clothes from Aang's time. It's only until Korra that people actually start dressing differently.

See I thought the same but how did he steal the face of the the old water avatar's wife? He also steal some other dude's face in the comics, but the comics aren't all that good.

Doesn't look like it by looking at the previous avatars' attires.

another korra hate thread good now stop shitting up regulator avatar threads

The entire series boils down to:

>Why do I have to listen to Tenzin? I don't want to.
>Oh shit I should have listen to Tenzin he knows what he's talking about.

>Book 2 doesn't have plot holes
Why does Aang need to meditate to reach the spirit realm when he was sitting next to a portal? How come Vaatu grows stronger without Raava while Raava grows weaker? How come the lion turtles each had knowledge of one element?

To give some legitimacy to Korra being a jobber.

Wait...so they're all deader than dead? Like, their spirits are dead? Aang and Roku don't get happy afterlives?

It was clearly a set up for a future season. Korra going around learning about her lost past lives one by one. Obviously it was dropped.

Gone forever.

I'm just gonna keep on pretending Korra ended after season 1 then. That's fucking awful.

No, no he doesn't. Tenzin never knows what he's talking about until season 4 and even then he's ineffectual.
If she listened to Tenzin at the start, Amon would have used his abilities and removed Tenzin and Tenzin's kids' airbending. And that's just at the beginning. Tenzin was wrong every step of the way.

None of these are plot holes, just wanted to preface with that.

>Why does Aang need to meditate to reach the spirit realm when he was sitting next to a portal?
He was never sitting next to a portal, the Northern Water Tribe is not at the North pole. Also, the portal was closed and not too many people remembered they existed or cared for the matter.

> How come Vaatu grows stronger without Raava while Raava grows weaker?
Because he feeds off of chaos and negative emotions, which are much each easier to find than calm and positive ones. Plus we're told that Raava normally keeps him under control which means that he(as a cosmic form of chaos) runs rampant without some type of think to limit him

> How come the lion turtles each had knowledge of one element?
Because that's apparently how they work based on what we see. Not a plot hole.

>Wait...so they're all deader than dead?
No, Korra's connection to them/their memories is just (seemingly) permanently severed.

>Like, their spirits are dead?
The avatars are all the same spirit, so no. The previous avatar's memories are just (seemingly) permanently inaccessible

>Aang and Roku don't get happy afterlives?
They never would have, because the Avatar reincarnates.

>The clothes from Wan's time is more or less the same as the clothes from Aang's time.
Not really. They're kinda similar but not completely

>It's only until Korra that people actually start dressing differently.
The vision of Aang in his 40s actually is when, and before that

>92302398
>Doesn't look like it by looking at the previous avatars' attires.
You can't judge the vast majority of the after a certain point because they're not given full on designs and there was reuse of a few because of animation ease

>Kyoshi was 400.

No, she lived to 230.

>See I thought the same but how did he steal the face of the the old water avatar's wife? He also steal some other dude's face in the comics,
Maybe at certain times of the year he can try to steal people's faces? Like the solstice when the two worlds are closer together?

Well yeah, they aren't going to exact copies all of them, we are talking about different people who lived a different amount of time with different professions and who lived in different parts of the world, but there isn't any significant change in attire between them, like a Spanish landlord from the XV century a WWI American soldier and an Egyptian farmer from B.C.
That or the avatars have all had terrible fashion sense and choose only the most generic attire possible every time

Human history has been around for like 10-12 000 years mate. That includes the Ancient Egyptians who were around 7000 years ago.

There have been over a thousand generations of humans growing up in this world.

>There have been over a thousand generations of humans growing up in this world.
That's because we count generations are 10-30 years gaps, here we are talking about a person that has to die and immediately after another is born and the next one can't be born until the previous one dies and if we take the precedent that some of them have lived well over a hundred years then you get that supposing all of them lived similar lives there is only space for at best 200 avatars in human history.

thats not how (you) works.

>Korra was a just a girl who made all the wrong friends and all the wrong choices
Kek. Murphy's Law is Korra's Law

So that the third series Avatar can fix all of Korras wrongs and pull us in for a spectacular return to form.

I'd be more than down for it.

Bad writing

I wouldn't count on that.

Because they're based off of slants, and slants took ages to advance.

I'm fairly certain they made a big deal about the Avatar Cycle Ending.

If the Avatars all share one spirit (which reincarnates) and they remain in that state, then it can be safely assumed one of two things happened.

The avatars are released from the cycle and are sent to bumfuck where-ever all human spirits go once they die (I'd imagine that would be awkward in the spirit world, as they all share a spirit that Aang hanging out with a dead Katara would be awkward as shit as Avatar X hanging out with her husband. Polygamy~~), or they're straight up snuffed from existence as they depended on the Avatar Cycle to exist.

poorly thought out attempt at raising the stakes

To remove the most BS DeM, and to illustrate the fresh start and different way of thinking.

>BS DeM (took me a bit to realize you meant Deus Ex Machina)

How exactly was it a Deus Ex? Avatar State Powerful but uncontrollable. Real stakes that if you die then you fucked up and permakilled yourself, and establishes the reincarnation.

That's like saying Adam and Tonics were Deus Ex Machinas in Bioshock. The whole story is built largely around them and they are essential. This opposes the definition of the Deus Ex, which is a spontaneous event/incident that resolves the current issue introduced into the story suddenly.

I get the feeling you're trolling

The cycle was broken but repaired, though the repair didn't reconnect a Korra to the memories of the past Avatars >The avatars are released from the cycle and are sent to bumfuck where-ever all human spirits go once they die (I'd imagine that would be awkward in the spirit world, as they all share a spirit that Aang hanging out with a dead Katara would be awkward as shit as Avatar X hanging out with her husband. Polygamy~~), or they're straight up snuffed from existence as they depended on the Avatar Cycle to exist.
Its actually Option C: The past Avatars are simply their memories and personalities made accessible wland/or stored by Raava, and when she was destroyed that connection was severed and was not regained when Raava was reborn.

It can't be your other two options because the past Avatars are not really separate spirits or anything, they're just past lives of the same spirit who can communicate with the current life due to the connection Raava gives

Also, there's not evidence that an afterlife exists, though spiritually enlightened people like Iroh and the Painted Lady can choose to ascend to the spirit world and become a spirit.

Raava tells Wan she'll be with him for all of his lifetimes so it seems like people just reincarnate in this world with no memory of who they were before(except for the special connection Raava gives

I'm not. I don't see how a legitimate response is "trolling". That user was blatantly misusing the term plot hole.

>No plot holes in either show
>Korra the only one doing stupid shit, and rarely

Because you could toss out an ass pull for anything, for example the cop-out for dealing with Zuko's dad.

It doesn't destroy the chance for a prequel, what the fuck are you talking about ?

Zuko's dad's issue was, in fact, a Deus Ex Machina. A magic turtlelion from out of fucking nowhere saying "Oh btw here's this technique we haven't even hinted at throughout the series to magically solve your problem."

The Avatar State has been around from the beginning, and the using of it isn't a Deus Ex. It's a plot device. A shitty plot device? I don't think so but that's opinion, but it is factually NOT a Deus Ex.

Even if his criticisms weren't 100% accurate, there is still much, much to find fault in with Korra.

>implying that tenzin getting equalized wouldn't had been a good thing

It was hinted at a few episodes before I believe. I agree that it was shit.

Except it was. At any time, they could just say, "whoops I wrote myself into a corner, but fear not, avatar state magically counters it because past life figured it out off screen and with no build up."

>No plot holes in either show
Name one from both shows.

>Korra the only one doing stupid shit, and rarely
It's true.

The same is true of ATLA. Water is wet. More at 11.