Did you like how the Harry Potter movies got darker each time in terms of story and themes...

Did you like how the Harry Potter movies got darker each time in terms of story and themes, or would you have preferred it if the whole franchise kept the magical, whimsical vibe from the first two movies?

They are all good, but the shift is very sudden in both the movies and books. Feels odd, but I like both forms.

I dont think its that sudden in the books

book 3 is still mostly pretty whimiscal and charming
book 4 is even moreso and doesnt even get dark until the end
book 5 is pretty grim throughout
book 6 returns to a feeling of mostly feeling comfy and warm for a lot of the book since a lot of it details their relationships

the movies of course made a much more dramatic shift, but its not like it had to be this way

I thought the shift was quite subtle.. It gets slightly darker with CoS with the blood on the wall and students getting attacked, PoA was even darker because of the Dementors, the werewolf scene in the movie was quite scary as a kid as well. The point of no return is in the fourth one where Cedric is killed and Voldemort returns and you know that from that point on things are getting serious.

Around Order of the Phoenix with the fights shit veers into OH NO NO NO! tier shit, just saw that shit on tv and I started laughing when dumb name kills serious and volde pulls a fire snake out of his arse

It was good as it was
It was always supposed to get darker with each of the school years to show Harry's growth
The plot would be boring if every film kept the focus on house points and broomstick racing

Phoenix was a shit adaptation, they changed Sirius's death and the Dumbledore/Voldemort fight was all flashy special effects over substance. The fight in the book was much more intense and had a lot more creative magic going on than the film which just went with generic cool-looking fire and water magic without any creativity

i liked it when shrek was in harry potter

No it's fucking stupid. Everything after Azkaban was garbage and if you disagree you're a manchild. Fantastic Beasts was a decent flick too, and would be the best in the entire franchise if Grindelwald and obscurus twink were removed and more time was dedicated to the animals.

I still mark the moment Voldemort was revived as when the franchise started going downhill.

A Hogwarts slice of life would have been groovy.

I always thought Chamber of Secrets was a little dark since I was a kid
Even my later father thought so, he'd rather watch the first one

I get what you're saying but there was literally no fucking reason to kill off half the cast in the last 2 books, or take Harry out of Hogwarts (i.e. the only thing that made the series good) for the duration of the last one.

I have an idea for a sequel for Rowling, so we can ignore cursed child.
A new dark wizard have constructed a new unforgivable curse. It turns wizards into muggles, they lose all magical powers. And they are attacking mudbloods. And Harry has to stop them without losing his powers himself.
There.

Sounds dumb desu

just like harry potter desu

Fair point, user. I retract my statement.

I just wanted the franchise to have kept a consistent tone AND kept it somewhat magical. Halfway through the series it didn’t feel like anyone was a real wizard, just Shakespeare in the Park actors shooting kanehamehas out of sticks

I would have much preferred the comfy whimsical feeling throughout, because everything is gritty now. I honestly would imagine those first two HP movies being much different if made today.

I did but OotP was too dull except for the battle in the ministry

Chamber of Secreys was pretty scary. I was only 10 when it came out in 2002 and the Basilisk scene was hard to watch. Especially when it's blinded and it's following Harry around the tunnels trying to smell him, that bit where it gets really close to Harry was terrifying for me.

>I get what you're saying but there was literally no fucking reason to kill off half the cast in the last 2 books
Agreed. The deaths felt really unnecessary. Sirius and Dumbledore I get, because it was character building for Harry to lose his father figures so he could become an adult in his own right. I guess Hedwig had to go because the plot demanded it, Harry, Ron and Hermione would be on the run for half the book with little info coming from the outside world, so having an owl around who could send messages back and forth was a problem.
But there was no reason for killing off Lupin and Tonks, Mad-Eye, Fred and so on. It just reeked of forced conflict/sadness.

I hated the laser beam fights the kept putting in. In the books only when Harry and Voldy fight do they get the kamehameha beam thing because their wand cores are connected. The movies turned every spell into a jet of light in a random color, when they could've done so much more with the medium of cinema and CGI, but they were really lazy with it

What's it like youngfags to grow up with a series featuring a literal spectacled soyboy manlet with a magic wand, as your ultimate hero? This series explains so much about your generation. Your smartphones are magic wands of entitlement. Your taste in film leans toward the whimsical, pandering and female-authored. You've wasted hundreds of hours on content about a wimpy wizard, deluding yourself that HP is on the tier of Star Wars, Die Hard, Monster Squad, Terminator, or Lost Boys. This property is your blankie. Lil babbies napping until they're 23, sucking your thumb like its Emma's underwhelming nipple. Kys. The author's name is literally JK, your entire generation is a joke, and will plop into the meat grinder of reality like lemmings.

It's the same with the books.

They should have included more class room banter in the later books and movies.

thats the plot of legend of korra

>Chamber of Secreys was pretty scary. I was only 10 when it came out in 2002 and the Basilisk scene was hard to watch
>pretty scary
The absolute state of young males. Kys. Pretty scary was teens getting impaled with a homemade claw-glove while they were asleep in class. Pretty scary was a massive shark eating kids in a lagoon. The only thing in your Chamber of Secrets is homosexual fantasies and soy desserts.

I remembered in order ofvthe pheinix book, dumbledore and Voldemort’s battle was so cool with magic shields and shit and I was excited to see how it would play out on screen.

But nope, beam struggle with an old man and a snake dude. Nothing unique or visually cool about it.

>even my later father thought Chamber of Secrets was dark
>later father
How many fathers do you have, Angus? Pathetic. You openly share these "dark" feelings online. Lmao.