Why can't Hollywood make a good Godzilla movie?

Why can't Hollywood make a good Godzilla movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI
youtube.com/watch?v=rLSOHzlLNhM
youtube.com/watch?v=65hu18vLxJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Ped3YoiIou4
youtube.com/watch?v=3jbj8lLspac
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because it's a shitty premise from when movies started. it's just not possible to pull it off.

Virtually any story can be told well. What matters is execution. The Japanese have managed to make Godzilla work a few times now. There's Gojira (1954), Mothra vs Godzilla, GMK, and Shin Godzilla.

>Implying G2014 was bad outside of boring human protagonists

No, the military was horribly incompetent to the point of breaking the movie. This is a critical flaw in its writing which ruins the movie on its own.

All of Japanese Godzilla movies (Except the most recent one) are visualy pieces of shit. Its so glaring that they use a guy in a suit and small scale sets that those movies are garbage.

Godzilla 1998 is a good monster movie

>See Shin Godzilla a few days ago
>Loved it and wish I could have chatted about it when it came out
>See Godzilla thread on Sup Forums and get excited
>remember where I am
>realize Sup Forums probably hated it for literally no good reason
>mfw

famalam G14 was monsterkino

Don't worry the next movie will be the best one to date, by a long shot

>All of Japanese Godzilla movies (Except the most recent one) are visualy pieces of shit.
Gojira (1954) is visually beautiful. Courtesy of Mikio Naruse's cinematographer, Masao Tamai. Mothra vs Godzilla, Monster Zero, and Godzilla vs Hedorah look fantastic too. Shusuke Kankeo (GMK) and Hideaki Anno (Shin Godzilla) were unquestionably going to deliver on the technical front. Just because a lot of films are garbage doesn't mean all of them are. There are some undervalued films in this franchise simply because of the franchise they're associated with.

next movie has Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah and Millie Bobby Brown. it's destined to be kino.

the effects in the old films were good considering the budget & time restraints. a number of them are pretty good in story and pacing, too. far from "garbage"

>if you ignore all of the bad parts (2/3 of the movie) then it's good
bravo

also Rodan

When was the last time Legendary made a good movie?

The legendary godzilla is a bunch of filler + Godzilla. Just watch the final battle and you'll be fine.

>posts 2 kinos.

Cause it’s perceived as a shitty stupid concept. It’s ironic that the opposite is considered with King Kong.

A story about mankind’s hubris, a cautionary tale about pollution, nuclear power and the raw power of nature is stupid, but the movie about a 50 foot monkey wanting to rape a bitch is deep and moving!

it's nothing more than typical American arrogance, even today we think the Japs deserved two nukes + vicious firebombings so the average le 56 % face can't comprehend the original movie at all. But uh oh the funny gorilla.

monster universe godzilla was good though

I don't know why, but godzilla and animals threads are always good or at least OK

You’re wrong. I was in those threads and the general consensus was that it was pretty gud. I remember the webms convinced a few people in here to download it.

>300

why that big?

nice lies retard, the movie was fucking subbed by /m/ as soon as a good video rip was available

> had to watch the movie twice because i didn't get the lyrics the first time

youtube.com/watch?v=CrXTS10h2WI

that movie is so good

What's the cool glowing one?

Unfortunately, thats what it takes to bait out discussion on a movie from last year. I'm glad Sup Forums enjoys it. I just wish I got to see it in theaters. Maybe one day I'll witness THAT scene on the big screen.

I liked the one with the worm guy.

This. Millie riding Godzilla to fight Mothra will fix this franchise.

This is a damn good point. Godzilla was a great movie in itself, and revolutionised Japanese pop culture. Honda and Tsuburaya showed that Japanese cinema could produce spectacles at a fraction of the cost of American movies. That lead to a profusion of Japanese sci-fi and fantasy, not to mention Ultraman and its endless spin-offs and competitors which are still huge today. Shit, the original was a smash hit in America! A tiny budgeted anti-nuke, anti-war, JAPANESE sci-fi was a success in the US less than a decade after the war ended. There's so much more to it than "haha rubber suits"

That's Burning Godzilla from Vs Destroyah.

saw it in theaters, people were silent the entire time except this gang of blacks that snuck in 40 mins in or w/e
they kept laughing or talking until the atomic breath scene, then they stfu
truly kino

Shin Godzilla is unironically the best Japanese movie from this century.

Meltdown Godzilla

I've only seen the original Gojira from 54. I liked it very much.

But whenever I see anything else about Godzilla I see they focus on the monster fights and the obvious guy in a suit, etc so I have no interest in them whatsoever. I like it for the human drama around it, the social commentary or whatever.

Should I bother with anything else?

Please don't let her be a white Miki.

Shin Godzilla said otherwise. And they nailed it pretty well with how to film a kaiju movie in Skull Island.

Pretty good
youtube.com/watch?v=rLSOHzlLNhM

Return of Godzilla (aka Godzilla 1985)
GMK
Shin Godzilla

You'll like Shin Godzilla. The Heisei era stuff is also pretty great.

>until the atomic breath scene, then they stfu
Legendary. Thanks for the laugh, user.

Quick, post your favorite Kaiju
Hard mode no Godzilla

Thank you

Why does he have a butt in his chest though?

damn i'd pick destoroya as well but then i remember that biollante is far superior

youtube.com/watch?v=65hu18vLxJQ

Return used to be my favorite before I saw Shin. Still get nostalgic seeing it. Something about the ending and music makes me give up a tear.

Return and Shin are essential remakes of the first one. They obviously have some relevance to what Japan was going through at the time of their creation, but even some of the less serious movies about Godzilla Vs have similar undertones. Usually Godzilla is represents Japan and the evil monster represents say the US or pollution or whatever relevant topic.

One-uping themselves and Legendary Godzilla

There's only one answer

Biollante is a cute

>Final wars
All I can remember from this one is that Toho took one hell of a shot at the American "Godzilla", the main villain was a nutcase, and Monster X and Keiser were badass

Now that you mention it that's a possibility. She's going to play the daughter of some scientist and her contract hints at the possibility of Millie returning for a sequel.

> not king caesar

why can't japan?

Obviously Jet Jaguar.

the Heisei series is just as goofy as the Showa series. not that I mind.

he better be in the 3rd legendary flick

King Ghidorah

Fuck you I liked G14

Good taste, user

>the Heisei series is just as goofy as the Showa series
Heisei is goofier honestly. Much of it because it takes itself too seriously and doesn't have the talent to back it up. Plus, I think the Showa Era should be split after Monster Zero. The creative team changed almost completely and the budgets were slashed after that film.

Other kaiju might as well not even bother
youtube.com/watch?v=Ped3YoiIou4

JJ is the greatest meme of the series. Almost makes Godzilla vs Megalon worth it.

It doesn't get better than Jet jaguar.
youtube.com/watch?v=3jbj8lLspac

>No, the military was horribly incompetent t

You mean like in almost every single Godzilla movie? The military can barely do shit against Godzilla.

Godzilla vs Megalon is the ultimate pleb filter

No. There's a difference between ineffectiveness and incompetence. They were really incompetent.
>Loses track of giant monster walking in a straight line
>Allows said giant monster to walk across like two states instead of bombing it in the desert where they can test the effectiveness of nukes without risk of harming anyone
>Attracts three giant monsters into a highly populated area without a concrete method of dealing with them
>Waits until the last minute to evacuate aforementioned metropolis
>Apparently has no EMP shielded gear or equipment
There's probably more I can't remember at the moment.

Hollywood takes itself way to seriously to make an actual tokusatsu.

The second best of course

so who do you want for the third movie?
id say:
either biollante & hedorah or
gigan, megalon and anguirus, if rodan doesnt die in the second one too
fourth one has destoroyah

This and its two sequels utterly BTFOs like 92% of the Godzilla series.

A recent novel used his pretty effectively. Turned him into swarm. Too bad about his movie tho

I really think pushing the design as a female kaiju named Zilla is the best way to salvage it. Maybe it's just my soft spot for the cartoon but I really do love the design.

>What's the cool glowing one?
From Godzilla Vs Destoroyah. Don't watch the movie.

To be fair, Japan only have two good ones out of a billion, maybe the yanks will get lucky

5 star post

What third movie? There's only four Monsterverse films planned and two have already been made. Only Godzilla II and Godzilla vs Kong are left.

>Shit, the original was a smash hit in America! A tiny budgeted anti-nuke, anti-war, JAPANESE sci-fi was a success in the US less than a decade after the war ended

Didn't they dub it, change the narrative, and add white people?

Anyone else here watch Monster Island Buddies?

its funny because its true

King Kong is basically just a bastardized fairy tale

What did you think about Pacific Rim?

I think the plot has something to do with him basically taking over the planet.

>see Godzilla (2014) one year ago
>realize halfway through that I had already seen this move beginning to end the year before and it was so mediocre that I almost completely forgot about it

It honestly leaves no impression. People convinced themselves they liked it because it was the first Godzilla they got in ten years. Sort of like TFA.

I really liked everything until Cranston died and then it just falls apart because Army Twunk just wasn't interesting.

100% right. Bettet yet, should have focused on Cranston and Watanabe teaming up. Lead the audience to believe Godzilla is the villain and reveal the MUTO or preferably a more interesting opponent in the third act.

You have this great dynamic between Ford and his father and they threw it out the window in the first act, leaving you with nothing past Ford going from location to location just because we had to have a familiar human at each Godzilla sighting.

I remember when I watched it the first time I was sure Ford would have to keep the little boy in Hawaii safe for the rest of the movie and it'd be a Newt/Ripley kind of relationship but nope. They just do nothing with him past generic army man who wants to see his family again.

Hardly any directors in America can stack up to Ishiro Honda.

What were Honda's strengths and what were his weaknesses? What did he bring to the Godzilla series?

KEK

MY MAN!

Rodan is bro-dan

I like when they were both giving monster bantz to each other

They did nothing wrong.

both of them were still better than that stupid weeb live action eva ripoff garbage shin godzilla

He directed his actors to feel like everyday people, which brings out some emotional weight and believability to the situation. A lot of his works have a grand scope and feel like a real world. They're brimming with imagination and optimism. Nobody else in the series (besides Anno) has their beliefs and real life experiences get brought out as much. Godzilla, King Kong vs Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, and Ghidorah all have themes either related to a current real life situation or a plea for a better world. If it weren't for him, the Japanese film industry (and pop culture) would be far more different and isolated.

As for his weaknesses, everybody acting like real people means that sometimes there aren't any interesting characters. He preferred focusing more on the ensemble of characters, and his shots reflect that. I don't mind it, but some people dislike it. He has some tired tropes too, like pointless meetings or characters overlooking a battle atop of a cliff or mountainside, which planted the seeds for the series to continue on with that.

>sometimes there aren't any interesting characters
This applies to Destroy All Monsters and Terror of MechaGodzilla. They're pretty uneven, dull efforts. His bests films imo are Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, and Monster Zero. These films boost some of the best characters, writing, pacing, and special effects of the series.

>Nobody else in the series (besides Anno) has their beliefs and real life experiences get brought out as much.
What about Kaneko and Banno?

The MUTOs look sick as hell and I wouldn't mind of Edwards came back to do another Godzilla film. The action in G14 is fucking amazing. G14 is probably the 3rd best looking monster film of all time, behind only the likes of Shin Godzilla and the original Godzilla.