Was this the exact moment where the "I'm so nerdy" culture really took off?

Was this the exact moment where the "I'm so nerdy" culture really took off?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GhhC7iMZsHs?t=50s
youtube.com/watch?v=eBKfFycVjeI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No.

I'd say so, yeah.

It would explain why you suddenly started hearing about Dr. Who, despite it being a very old show.

But "nerd" culture is also really helped by iPhones.

Notice how suddenly Pokémon was cool because it was on your phone now.

It wasn't one moment, it was building up for years before Avengers. I'd say The Dark Knight had more influence in causing it than the entire MCU, although the latter has shaped it more over time.
>It would explain why you suddenly started hearing about Dr. Who, despite it being a very old show.
The relaunch is all that crowd cares about, and it started in 2005. Completely unrelated to Avengers.

>tfw I never liked Dr. Who or Pokémon

>it was building up for years before Avengers
Pic related, then?

It was a big thing long before that.

Just for an example, The Big Bang Theory started in '07, and that would mean that the "I'm so nerdy" stuff had already reached it's peak by then because it had been around long enough for TV executives to realize they should capitalize on it.

The exact moment was Monday, September 24th, 2007 at 8:30pm.

Dr. Who gained popularity all of a sudden because it was rebooted, then cast David Tennant as the lead and people fell in love with his portrayal. It wasn't just that people found out about some old show, the show was revitalized and people fell in love with the new version.

I'm just saying, you would've never heard of the fandom (at least not to the same extent) before the movie.

I've never watched Dr. Who and I could tell you the detailed plot synopsis because of them.

No, call of duty, Nintendo ds, and big bang theory

Yeah, I think Big Bang Theory is a bigger culprit than Avengers. I think OP just has a paranoid assumption that everyone cares about capeshit

FUCKING WARNER BROS RUINING EVERYTHING

As some one old as balls, I actually think the rumblings began in the late 90s.

I don't want to blame girls, but I think female inclusion/acceptance in the early 00s sped this up. The spattering of successful comic book movies before Iron Man also helped.

I don't think The Avengers reflects the 'exact moment', but it certainly cast light on the phenomenon.

>Was this the exact moment where the "I'm so nerdy" culture really took off?
Skyrim.

Kevin Smith movies

Is not even about capeshit, is that the Mcu just like avatar have no real impact over pop culture. They are really popular but they don't have the impact TDK had.

I cant wait until nerd culture leaves the mainstream.

So sick of seeing stupid sloots saying "I'm so nerdy lol XD" because they downloaded Pokemon Go to their shitty phone.

It's already been established TBBT did that.

>I cant wait until nerd culture leaves the mainstream
That isn't happening so soon
There are more comic movies coming, Star Wars spin-offs, etc

I think Disney's Star Wars breathed some more air of life into the dying nerd culture bubble.

Before, Star Wars was just another blockbuster franchise that nerds delved deep into and normies just watched because it looked cool. Nowadays because of Disney, every stupid bitch is walking around with Star Wars memorabilia claiming they're "so nerdy" and "huge Star Wars fans"

Women make me fucking sick.

I don't agree. The biggest impact TDK had was introducing more edgy/"realistic" movies, because an unfortunate step in successful movies is that the movies that follow are made by people who only partially understand why a movie like TDK was so successful

Meanwhile the MCU introduced the cinematic universe concept to pop culture. It suffers the same fate as TDK thanks to the rumored GI Joe x Transformers cinematic universe, but there's no denying it has an impact over pop culture

I was in the park and this woman in her 50s walking her dog came over and asked if I was playing Pokemon Go too. It honestly doesn't irritate me, that shit's funny under the right circumstances

There really was no exact moment, it was more of a process and many different forms of media were responsible for making "nerdy" stuff popular. The Lord of the Rings movies made fantasy much more popular, so did Harry Potter. HIMYM mentioned Star Wars a shit ton of times and BBC rebooted Dr. Who so there was mo fucus on sci fi. A lot of People grew up with the pokemon anime and thus wanted to play pokemon and wanted to get the latest pokemon games, which introduced a shit ton of people into gaming. Also,since there were more used video game consoles aviable during the 00's, gaming got way cheaper and was more likely to be bought for children, so more people had video games in their childhood and grew up with it. Meanwhile, the 00's cape movies managed to introduce the mainstream into capeshit.

The pieces of nerd stuff were already popular and it was just a matter of time untill someone decided to just put them together and sell the full package. This was done by TBBT. Meanwhile, Marvel, DC and others realized there is a market so they made more content which dragged in more and more normies.

2007 is when things started happening, due to social media and practically everyone getting on the internet.

Remember when people made fun of computers?

youtu.be/GhhC7iMZsHs?t=50s

Man I remember how cyber bullying awareness reached an all time high during that era. Fucking normies couldn't understand why anonymous people would be mean to them over the Internet.

>Normies get out REEEEEEEE
the thread.

>every major studio trying to prop up their own cinematic universe
>"MCU has no real impact on pop culture"

No.

It's sad how true this is..

Cinematic universes are a thing since the 40s

It didn't introduce shit. It impacted the industry, not pop culture

During its peak, I saw two 60-something women sitting in the park having lunch while playing it. They mused over whether Psyduck was good.

No one remembers how the bad guy in Doc strange or civil war was named

I don't know if this is worth anything, but my mom was playing Super Mario in the early nineties and was pretty good at it.

I'm betting your mom wasn't an SJW screaming CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE MARIO and giving money to Anita Sarkissian.

Then what has TDK introduced to pop culture that supersedes the entire MCU?

It was the combo of Iron Man and The Dark Knight coming out a month or so apart from one another. Things exploded from there.

(Yes Incredible Hulk came out then too but no one really cared, only that it was the first thing that established the shared universe.)

It turned capeshit from an outliner to the most important movies of the year for the studios

Capeshit as a whole? It seems like the MCU has done a better job at that than a single movie, especially considering the ridicule TDKR got in pop culture in comparison to TDK

Even when TDK came out I remember a lot of "this movie is fucking sick but comic books and superheros are totally lame otherwise"

Now everyone wants to prove what a complete comic book nerd they've always been.

There is no "exact moment". The closest thing to it is the timespan between 2007-2008 where a series of events culminated in the state of things as they are today like
>the release of Big Bazongo Theory
>Iron Man and The Dark Knight establish cape films as extremely profitable
>the huge increase in traffic for Twitter, Reddit and Facebook
>Portal 1 comes out and "The Cake is a Lie" becomes a huge meme, possibly the first major meme that the majority have no idea of it's origin but spout it anyway
And probably other things I'm forgetting about.

By the time the Avengers rolled in, "geek culture" was already the norm. The Avengers was just there to capitalize on it.

In pop culture? You mean Sup Forums? No one ridiculed that movie. But Bane did had a bigger impact on pop culture than all marvel movies. Based south park

It was Rami spider man

It's the pet rock of the 90's, baby.

>Cinematic universes are a thing since the 40s
But the concept had largely been dead and no one cared about cinematic universes or attempted to make one before the MCU took off. Not to mention the MCU has a different structure than the Universal Monsters universe. Fuck off with this, "Universal did it 70 years ago differently, so the MCU is unoriginal as fuck," bullshit.

you'll more than likely die of old age before it leaves the mainstream

This is the dark past SJWs want to drag us back to with their endless nerdshaming.

I know a girl named Kitana because her mom was playing Mortal Kombat when she went into labor.

I blame when G4 and TechTV merged and Attack of the Show happened.

is that why Sup Forums got a hate boner for this movie a year after it came out? because you got mad at Marvel and Whedon for making superheroes mainstream?

that explains a lot.

I thought it was trash since day one.

Thanks for nothing, Marvel.

Disney might have resuscitated the franchise's popularity, but it had it's moments in the sun already as far back as when the prequels came out. The hype for The Phantom Menace was fucking ridiculous. But then again, the quality of the prequels themselves definitely assisted with the franchise regressing back into "nerds only" territory in the late 00's, all the way up until the Disney buy out.

youtube.com/watch?v=eBKfFycVjeI

The Matt Smith years of Doctor Who is when it picked up in America.

>not the first Iron Man movie
Nope.

>No one ridiculed that movie

Dude, move outside Sup Forums for a moment and you'll see TDKR was mixed on arrival. People were expecting it to top TDK and were disappointed when it didn't

As of late I've begun to wonder if going back to this past might be a positive thing.
I mean we all remember how awful it used to be at school but isn't it awful now that, not only is nerdshaming still a thing, but it's also "cool" to be one ? (or geek, as they like to call themselves).

The world hasn't changed that much, it's just that now nerds and bullies come in different forms. We are still miserable, only now, instead of deriding our hobbies and us for liking them, they want to take it for themselves and distort it. And the media has helped them do it.

Idk but sometimes I wish we could go back to when the normies and bullies openly despised us but left us alone, instead of despising us and also taking things that used to be ours for themselves, and pretending to be like us for sympathy points.
Every monkey should be in it's own branch instead of trying to steal the branch of others.

I saw more people into it in the Tennant years.

sure, user.

>the quality of the prequels themselves
Excellent?

I have the solution: read books no one reads, as you used to do with comics. Thus you will be again in a small world of your own.

Nope, Tennant was hot, he drew in all the fangirls.

I remember watching my mother blow up noobs in Unreal Tournament as a kid, she loved this game. She also played lots of Tabletop RPGs in uni, she actually met my dad through them and this made me a TTRPG lover myself.

That's a pretty cool way to get a name.

Your mom sounds like a very cool Lady.

I have actually written an essay on this and I think the actual point where it truly exploded was with the release of World of Warcraft. There have been references to video games and nerd culture in the past well into the early mid 90s but nothing ever truly influenced media like WoW did.

World of Warcraft existed in a point where the internet and internet gaming just started taking off. It was a combination of people starting to use internet shopping and forums, an old era of video games dying and people looking for something else, and nerds now finally having a social experience where normal people were also present. Celebrities were going on talk shows about their secret World of Warcraft addiction. WoW had famous television advertisements with Mr. T. South Park dedicated an episode to it. It was referenced on Jeopardy and Leeroy Jenkins became a mainstay in nerd culture ever since. Most importantly, it was one of the first nerd experiences where a very large demographic was female. Some major servers had almost a 40% female population. Not to sound /r9k/ but this is also when women realized there was a huge nerd population to appeal to.

It was the first 'hardcore' nerd experience for casuals. It was just a step away from Dungeons & Dragons because you were actually completing dungeons and killing dragons. Nerd apparel skyrocketed with World of Warcraft.

I think once it became okay to start talking about internet gaming, it also then normalized fantasy and sci-fi hobbies (specifically on the internet). Without World of Warcraft, I still believe nerd culture would have become a thing if only because people thought computer technology was nerdy and now everyone uses it. But WoW greatly kickstarted it into the kind of culture that it is now.

Big bang theory was already capitalizing on that existing trend.
It's probably just the emergence of the internet.

Your mom sounds like the type of girl loveshy nerds across the internet pined for back in the day. Props to your dad.

I think something important to note is that nerd culture isn't fake or at least most people who engage in it aren't, there just is now a separation between hardcore nerd culture and casual nerd culture

I got my mom to try it when I was a kid. It was genuinely sad how bad she was at it.

South Park had an episode where the kids dress up as the Avengers too.

That's one hardcore mom.

>Was this the exact moment where the "I'm so nerdy" culture really took off?
No. It wasn't.

PIC RELATED WAS. When people started to be connected on the interenet all the time and downloading apps and games all the time.

Before it, technology was something people needed from time to time, with only "geek" actually using computer and stuff for their enjoyments. Witth smartphones and tablets, technology became part of every day's life for everyone. Combined with its easy to sue interface.

The wii halso had prepared the terrain.

Add to that that the millennial (I am talking of the real definition of millenial, those born in the 80's and the 90s, in other word, most us here are millenials) who had been far more drowned in videogames culture and movies like star wars started to make kids of their own and immegring their own kids into it too. It was inevitable.

but smartphones is really what made the transformations. So you can thanks Steve Jobs.

It's really not.

world of warcraft was a big step (probably bigger than the Wii), but not as big as MMO was still perceived as a "lo Life" activity.

Smatphone was perceived as something cool and hyp to haves. Apple did a good jobe for sure.

it was back in the 90's when rich dotcom nerds became particularly visible to the public you underage bag of shit.

I don't know if I agree with smartphones because there are plenty of people who use smartphones who haven't adopted nerd culture

In the US, anyway.
In the UK that show is kind of a legend and a frankly ridiculous percentage of the population (compared to the overall population of the UK) watched it.

Not everyone who use smartphone has adopted nerd culture, but it still the cause of the biggest expanse of it.

Oh well, at least it makes traveling better.

I don't know if I agree with the smartphone part, but the 80s/90s part definitely.
I mean think about it, video games were hugely popular among kids, comics were still pre-crash popular, you had popular cartoons with Batman, the X-Men, Spider-Man and Sonic among tons of other, you had entire TV shows devoted to vydia, MTG was basically at its peak popularity, ...
And then these kids grew up, a lot of them went into a teenager phase of "things I liked as a kid are dumb" and strayed away from nerd culture, while some others didn't. As adults, the "true nerds" used the internet to discuss their hobbies and produced more nerdy shit, sometimes with mass appeal, which in turn dragged some of the cool kids back to nerdy shit once they realized that liking those things just weren't that lame.
Of course those people appear as "fake nerds" to more devoted fans, since they went away from that shit and haven't compiled the knowledge on those topics with the same autistic passion, and sometimes were even bullying nerds during their teenage years, but you best believe that 90% of those people liked some sort of nerdy shit as kids. Hell even that cool kid that made fun of you for reading Spawn probably had a stack of old Scrooge McDuck comics he'd browse when nobody was looking. You can add to that that the early 30s are usually a nostalgia part of many people's lives.

That's the explanation for why so many 30-something year olds have come back to nerd shit as adults, imo. Younger people? Yeah probably some parents influence, some zeitgeist, some trying to fit in.

Dark Knight mostly showed how to not be too campy with stuff. I don't know that it brought anything particularly new to the table, movies in general have had all sorts of tropes before with tragedy and fighting nutjobs.
I mean no studio has really kept the no kill rule since except maybe Sony since they're working with Spider-Man, WB went all kinds of stupid trying to be "dark" with Superman or something. What did Dark Knight influence otherwise? Most villains have been rather unimpressive in some way or another, don't even get started on Lex, Doomsday, Joker, and Enchantress.

My mom is the only person I know who can utterly wreck damn near everyone who challenges her to Mortal Kombat on the Genesis. The only other game she's even slightly good at is fucking Mickey's Magical Tetris on the N64.

It's fucking bizarre.

Stay mad, mousefag.

>TDK
>impact
No one cares about that anymore outside Baneposting.

nah,
I wanna say Iron Man and Dark Knight came out within a year of each other or the same year. Ledger was getting all kinds of attention for ODing. The Joker became this character that was psychologically disturbing to play. Iron Man 2 proved the first one wasn't fluke. The Hulk May have come out that summer too iirc. And that did OK, but that might have been the year when media was really flooded with comic book movie promotion.

If I had to guess a time when nerd culture really escalated, somewhere between 05-10, but closer to 05. Starting with Dr Who and being really noticeable/unavoidable by the time Iron Man 2 was released.

I think OP is taking about fake nerds

>Dude, move outside Sup Forums for a moment and you'll see TDKR was mixed on arrival.
It's basically hated here. If you think Baneposters are praising the movie, you're dead wrong. It's making how much of a failure the opening scene and how overrated Nolan is.

To be honest this was always destined to happen since TDK came out. Anyone with a brain should have seen that no matter what they did for the 3rd movie, it was going to dissapoint.

The biggest impact TDK had is that it showed that your average person can take a cape movie seriously if it goes all the way up its own ass trying to treat the material with utmost seriousness (ironically, given that the most memetic phrase that came out of that movie was "why so serious?"). It made normies trust cape movies as potential good movies more than basically anything else. That certainly opened the door for wider success in other cape movies, even more comedic ones.

You're confusing TDK with TDKR

>Notice how suddenly Pokémon was cool becuase it was on your phone now.

Pokemon never died, it just isn't a world wide phenomenon capable of having entire cities renamed after it anymore. Fact is that Pokemon was "cool" with young adults well before GO was a thing, and GO becoming a thing was simply due to real demand.

Reminds me of when GO launched and news anchors talked about Pokemon being "revived" despite there being a continuously aired cartoon, a steady stream of successful games, toy aisles crammed with Pokemon crap, etc.

You can bet your ass it was. It was something that was gestating long before, but this was the moment Marvel cemented itself as a pop culture juggernaut, and it was the moment nerd culture entered the mainstream definitely.

I've always seen Pokemon as huge normie bait, especially towards girls/women. Cutesy designs, simple to get into gameplay with some amount of depth, and a game where you basically don't need any hand-eye coordination to succeed? And all that tie-in non-vydia shit?
Yeah that's bound to get people who """"can't play video games"""" into it

YOU hate it. Especially because it was in that year that the company wars began, and you stood with Marvel.

>poop culture
Fixed.

oh poor WiddleBaby has to defend his shitty movies all alone because everyone else has fucking taste

See? It's so easy to spot you mousefags.

I think that everything changed when they released the iPhone