Why Al Ewing doesn't sell?

Because his stories are more than a little bit boring and his plots are very "Morrison Wannabe"? Could that be the answer?

Absolutely nothing like Morrison.

He writes for hardcore fans. If you play video games he's like the Europa series compared to other Marvel's Civilization.

he writes black characters

New Avengers didn't light the charts on fire but it performed well for a title with nothing but C-Listers.

>Absolutely nothing like Morrison.
"Ultimates Vol. 1" could be called "Superman Beyond For Dummies".

Has he ever been given a character that's above a c-list level?

Diversity and c and d list characters.

Because he was only ever good at 2000ad.

People will say it's because he doesn't get put on big name characters but he's been given characters who have been getting massively pushed by Marvel (Squirrel Girl, America, Carol, etc.) and books he has been on got massive promotion (USAvengers). But yes, in the world of modern Marvel an average to slightly above-average writer like Ewing gets elevated to the status of great when compared to his utterly shit contemporaries.

As a writer he's not as clever as he thinks he is nor is he as witty. He's a third rate replacement for Paul Cornell or Si Spurrier who are both 10x the writer Ewing is.

YAAS QUEEN and "everyone's favorite character since 2015" Black Panther.

Sold and sell like shit nonetheless.

Because nothing at Marvel has been as good as Zombo or Zaucer of Zilk

Black Panther? Captain Marvel? Loki?

Samefagging but Marvel also has better writers than Ewing too. PAD obviously (Scarlet Spider was actually better than I expected and I'm guessing the "crazy anti-hero" shit gets dropped eventually; even if it does contain one of the most painful PADisms in Aunt June), Bunn now that he's found his groove as a writer, Conway, Hastings and Bemis are all better.

D listers sales wise.

>As a writer he's not as clever as he thinks he is
His readership doesn't help. People praise him for everything.

This is true unfortunately. But givn your alternative is Bendis/Aaron/Waid/Slott/Soule or even worse diversity hires like Rivera/Coates, mediocre is looking pretty good compared to the rest of these shit lords.

The best of Soule is better than the best of Ewing.

I'm not trying to say by the way that I think Ewing's a bad writer because he's not. Marvel has plenty of bad writers. Either dull ones like Soule or Wilson, abominably awful ones like Rivera, Whitley or North or ones like Slott and Bendis who are active detriments to not only the books themselves but the fanbases because of their thin skin.

Ewing in a different age of Marvel would be on that tier of writer as Fabian Nicieza, John Francis Moore or Mike Carey in that you're usually not going to get something bad of them, you might some times get the occasional great story too but rarely will it go above or below "pretty competent".

>D listers sales wise.
isn't that redundant because sales are what dictates their a/b/c/ list status?

That used to be it, now it's based on who is in movies and who the company promotes.

Captain Marvel is their biggest A list female hero, it doesn't matter how many books she gets canceled that's what Marvel is going to tell us.

He's not a very good writer. He just uses some lesser known characters and the loud obnoxious(but small) fanbases of those characters go crazy for him but that's it.

Too bad we have seen nothing, but shit from Soule since he came to Marvel.

I think the comparison with Nicieza is fair.

What I said is that Nicieza fans (?) never were as loud as the "Ewing can do no wrong" crowd.

Did you seriously put Mike Crey in the same tier as fucking Nicieza? I hope you're fucking drunk or something.

I dunno, why didn't Tom King sell before Batman?

Slott is a good to great writer when on every book not ASM though and Carey is leagues better and Nicieza and Francis Moore
you're dumb
Ewing is a poor man's Gillen

Grayson sold though.

because of Seeley and Dick.

Slott is raping the Silver Surfer right now so fuck you.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this,

I really do enjoy Ultimates but it's easy to tell that he's coasting largely on his own extensive knowledge of Marvel rather than his abilities as a writer, and as points out, his meta commentary is very hamfisted and wants to walk readers through what he's getting at rather which feels almost insulting at times.

Also Galactus beating Lord Chaos in a debate by pointing out the most obvious thing in the universe was fucking stupid.

>his meta commentary is very hamfisted and wants to walk readers through what he's getting at rather which feels almost insulting at times.

So like Animal Man?

Ewing is a far better, far less annoying writer than Gillen. Gillen is shallow millennial smug pretentiousness given human form (even though he's gen-x)..

I'm going to admit that I haven't read Carey's non-Marvel stuff and while his X-Men run was great from Supernovas up through the end of the Xavier part of Legacy his Rogue waifuism wound up being an overall detriment because for as much as he obviously liked the character he didn't do much of anything to make her or her stories particularly compelling. So taken on the whole his X-Men stuff comes out to pretty competent. Of course given how grossly mismanaged the X-Men have been since House of M that puts him in the upper tier of X-Men writers.

No.

Silver Surfer is literately fantastic and an Eisner winner
eat a dick, not muhhh Parable/Requiem fag

Well I think Carey would. He thought pretty highly of Nicenzia and tried to follow up on a lot of the story points from Nicenzia's run of X-Men when he was doing Legacy.

that's what Gillen is now, he used to be pretty good

Gillen's JiM is better than anything Ewing has done

fuck off Dan

Go fuck yourself Dan.

In hindsight he should've just retired from comics after JiM and moved on to something else. Having a healthy ego is good but never buy into your own hype or the hype of your hangers-on.

Wicked + Divine is making him rich

>Silver Surfer is literately fantastic and an Eisner winner
Mike Allred is carrying the whole thing on his back

Which is sad.

Animal Man's commentary is done in a very Silver Age fashion and at it's worst and usually has fun with the concept.

Ewing in Ultimates tries to use his meta commentary as part of a grand sweeping narrative as though it were a philosophical piece despite only commenting on the nature of comics and little more.

Also consider how long Ultimates was written after Animal Man, because even if your point was undeniably true (and that's entirely plausible depending on the perspective) there's still little excuse for Ewing to be doing the same decades later.

Fuck you dan. Stop ripping off doctor who

that and he sucks

nah it's some esoteric measure of general popularity

Iron Man has always sold like shit, but because he was in other books a lot he was always a b-lister instead of a c- or d-

So Tom King only sells because of Dick Grayson, but Ewing can't sell even writing two pushed characters (Black Panther and Captain Marvel)?

cantstoptheSlott

>King can sell with an actually popular character
>Ewing can't with two fake-popular characters
sounds about right

He writes shit titles and isn't a very good writer.

At this point I'm ove the opinion that if someone is a Doctor Who fan they're probably a terrible person. Dan Slott, women on Tumblr, the Eternal Anglo... it all adds up.

What were the sales on Dick Grayson throughout it's life? I'd imagine turning the book into fujobait probably paid more than a little role if it was even moderately successful.

I'm pretty sure most of the British comic book writers started writing for "Doctor Who Magazine".

Moore included.

>Why Al Ewing doesn't sell?
Same reason why any actually good Marvel comic doesn't sell. Because he gets zero advertising.

USAvengers had a big push and doesn't sell.

it got a shitload of variants for #1 then nothing afterwards

so basically every Marvel comic

50 variants. This is more push than 90% of Marvel catalog has.

>He writes for hardcore fans
>Rocket Raccoon

Did he ever write for DC?
Imagine him writing a Justice Incarnate title.

No thanks.

I don't want his retarded fans amazed by things like "the bleed" (that he copied on his Ultimates) or Monitors.

Please no.

>"the bleed" (that he copied on his Ultimates)
No way.

Yes he did.

Needless to say, his fans found it the most original thing.

That push is counterproductive. How many people you think will be put off when they see Carol and America, the YASSS QUEEENS of the marvel universe, on the same cover? I'd stay as far away from the book as possible

The superflow already existed in marvel, what are you talking about? Hickman refered to it as the bleed like 2 years before ultimates was published.

Then sorry, the hack was Hickman, not Ewing.

Ewing just used it and his fans were amazed by it for some reason.

Yeah, the Superflow concept was created by Ellis - who also created the Bleed, not Morrison - for his New Universe relaunch.

>fans of any writer

not even once, worst type of fans bar none

>characterfags

I'm still kinda bummed that the DCU totally stole the Bleed from WS. It was *their* thing, dammit! Yeah, totally autistic, but I don't care.

second worst

spoken like a characterfag

>3 hours later:
07/2014: Grayson #1 -- 81,433 (+ 85.4%)
08/2014: Grayson #2 -- 56,486 (- 30.6%)
09/2014: Futures End #1 -- 76,551 (+ 52.7%)
10/2014: Grayson #3 -- 52,849 (- 31.0%)
11/2014: Grayson #4 -- 47,590 (- 10.0%)
12/2014: Grayson #5 -- 42,611 (- 10.5%)
01/2015: Grayson #6 -- 38,505 (- 9.6%)
02/2015: Grayson #7 -- 41,164 (+ 6.9%)
03/2015: Grayson #8 -- 40,859 (- 0.7%)
06/2015: Grayson #9 -- 39,610 (- 3.4%)
07/2015: Grayson #10 -- 33,990 (- 13.8%)
08/2015: Grayson #11 -- 36,538 (+ 7.2%)
09/2015: Grayson #12 -- 32,284 (- 11.0%)
10/2015: Grayson #13 -- 32,260 (- 1.5%)
11/2015: Grayson #14 -- 31,831 (- 1.8%)
12/2015: Grayson #15 -- 35,765 (+ 11.1%)
01/2016: Grayson #16 -- 30,420 (- 14.9%)
02/2016: Grayson #17 -- 30,257 (- 0.5%)
03/2016: Grayson #18 -- 33,550 (+ 10.9%)
04/2016: Grayson #19 -- 27,378 (- 18.4%)
05/2016: Grayson #20 -- 23,762 (- 13.2%)

Notice how the sales were pretty consistent after a while until SeeKing leaves.

Ehh...I guess I'm ok with. At least they're using some of WS' original concepts in some extant, instead of leaving them to dust.
Only thing I'm pissed about how DC handled Wildstorm was how they teased Helspont and a Daemonite invasion back in the beginning of the New52 and they never delivered it.

Ryan North's writing is fine. It's the art that's cancerous with Squirrel Girl.

>Implying normies have any idea who these characters are

Writers no longer sell. Only Batman and Spider-Man do. And Ewing is hit and miss. Currently, his Ultimates is good, while royals is completely mediocre.

Scatterbrain is cute! CUTE!

His She-Hulk run was fun but his work being shit at Marvel is because of the rule that you do better work at DC than Marvel.

His She-Hulk run was fun but his best work was at DC which seems to be the case for every writer who goes from DC to Marvel.

>The last issue of Grayson sold better than the average Ewing book.
Sounds about right.

I think Ellis would've still used the Bleed had he done JLA/The Authority with Hitch back in 1999/2000.