Does this season prove that Genndy was a hack that was riding on other people's skills...

Does this season prove that Genndy was a hack that was riding on other people's skills? The difference in quality is just huge in comparison to old seasons.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.com/48cdgwg
youtube.com/watch?v=87ZJp_mILAI
youtu.be/xTVTbLOMVaY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, you're just another mindless contrarian.

unironically this tbqh

fpbp

The reason I think people hate this season is because it's serialization. This is a great season but people aren't use to this format. South Park faced the same problem but that season actually sucked.

>Does this season prove that Genndy was a hack that was riding on other people's skills? The difference in quality is just huge in comparison to old seasons.

Most of the same team is back, and Genndy has about the same level of control. If he was riding on other's skills, wouldn't he be doing that still?

Oh, nvm, I forget this is mindless bait.

No. Next question.

If you hate it so much, stop watching and stop talking about it.

No one cares if you think it bad or worse. It isn't and it can't be.

Everyone wanted serialized Samurai Jack, but the good one.

It's not true, while there are some people from the original crew, not all of them are there. Also how can you explain such dip in quality then, because it's something that everyone can agree on, even if you still enjoy it.

No, the issue is definitely the length. The first 3 episodes followed a serialized format and were great. The problem is having to cram all these plots in such short time is jarring. Just 3 episodes would have helped immensely.

>Hey mom I posted the thread again!

Stop taking the bait you idiots

There really needs to be a Samurai jack containment thread

>i-it's bait, genndy can do no wrong guys, it's... it's perfect! Every other opinion is le bait!

Most of the main team is still on board. If anything, the network and censors definitely played a larger part in Samurai Jack's appeal, since they would mandate no blood and an episodic flair.

Also, I detail the real problems of season 5 here

The thing that you didn't consider is that the season is actually good.

t.shipperfag

I think Genndy forgot what made Samurai Jack good and went with what he considers good.

And it's worse.

>The difference in quality is just huge in comparison to old seasons.
Is it? I don't like SJ but I didn't like this season as much as I didn't like the old ones.

>threads bitching about Jack being shit 24/7 since episode 8

I disagree.

Still better than the 150th "This is Ashi, say something nice about her" or "This is Jashi, say something nice about my OTP" threads we gets 5 of everyday.

since episode 4 you mean, my dear newfriend

That or they need to be sent to /trash/.

>Also how can you explain such dip in quality then, because it's something that everyone can agree on, even if you still enjoy it.
I don't agree with that at all. There are pacing problems, sure, but this season is still great alongside the older seasons.

There's no way Genndy really thought that 10 episodes were enough to tell the story properly, right?

The episodes following three being bust after bust is just incredibly strange to me. I'm guessing that we're witnessing a George Lucas kind of scenario here or something.

>There's no way Genndy really thought that 10 episodes were enough to tell the story properly, right?
Probably not but it's all the network gave him.

Really? I've been hearing that he asked for 10 exactly, but I never really seen a real source about the decisions regarding the amount of episodes.

Nah it's pretty much the same, story wise the format changed so don't expect the same.

>I made another thread about this

Why are so many people defending this Ashi stuff? It added nothing to the story had some of the worst relationship pacing I've ever seen, and just seemed to serve no real purpose other than to shoehorn a romance in the last 10 episodes, which makes no sense to do in the first place.

this

Not him and I was actually for the father-daughter thing, but this season is good. user is right. The "backlash" or whatever seems to be mostly contrarianism.

Genndy seems to have more sadism vibes in the new season

Or, bear with me here, people have an opinion that is different than yours. This contrarian shit needs to stop it's just another buzzword at this point.

>Also how can you explain such dip in quality then, because it's something that everyone can agree on, even if you still enjoy it.

No?

>was a hack that was riding on other people's skills?

You guys sure like to run to this when you don't like things you used to

What do people not understand about being on a budget

Careful dude, you might get called a virgin, a reddit user, a tumblrite, a grimfag, or a contrarian

Oh boy, look be atleast happy that the show is getting a proper ending. Episode made me cringe but do I hate the show because of that? No, I still enjoy the show for what it is and i'm very looking forward to the last two episodes

> g-g-g-guys, is i t okay to hate this now? Can I be contrarian now?

Well now he has a more personal reason that might stop him from going back to the past. He'll probably Kill Aku in the future anyway, but if he goes back he might erase everything we've seen transpire.

Also some people like Romance even when it's simple, this was never going to be Romeo and Juliet. Vague implications and an episode of visual metaphors is enough for me.

>genndy
>a hack

you can only choose one

>Genndy was a hack that was riding on other people's skills?
But most of those people have come back to work on this season too, so maybe it's you that's changed.

/thread

>it's something that everyone can agree on

strawpoll.com/48cdgwg

you can't just send everything to /trash/

whatever, episode 8 wasn't canon anyway

>Also how can you explain such dip in quality then, because it's something that everyone can agree on
>implying Samurai Jack was such a a fucking masterpiece to begin with

Before I would have agreed with this, but I think it's somewhat unfair. There are people who genuinely think the season is bad. The problem is that most complains are based on subjective discomfort caused by autistically blown out of proportion non issues, and then they think that somehow gives them the right to make the same thread every couple hours.

Also, as some people have pointed out, it pretty much is the same team.

But now that the old seasons have been brought up, how come no one talks about the elements that made the old show memorable? Everyone talks about "muh pacing" or where the story should go, when the backgrounds, music, animation, sound design, minor characters, and visual storytelling is basically the same as the old show, if not occasionally

Take the scene where Jack tells the tale of the creation of the stars. It is gorgeous in pretty much every aspect, and it is true to the style of Samurai Jack. Yet no one talks about it, or any similar scene. All the good in this season is taken for granted.

Why not?

Nice.

>Does this season prove that Genndy was a hack that was riding on other people's skills?
>riding on other people's skills

That is the literal job of a director. Genndy mentions this in an interview; he gives a vision and his "much more talented" colleagues make it come to life.

Well, he is a shit director then. I mean I don't fucking know who's responsible for this fiasco but since Genndy said that he's the one to take all the credit - it's all his fault.

thats a good face

t.shippingfag

Seven babies are born and compete to be the assassin that takes down Jack. Ashi leaves alone and goes after him. First three/four episodes are basically the same.

Ashi travels the globe learning of what Jack's done. She doesn't scrub off her black suit; it slowly crumbles the more she learns. She meets Jack at the site of his old home, still surrounded by spirits. This part's mostly the same.

Jack and Ashi look for Jack's sword. Jack goes on his meditation journey, Ashi fights. She eventually fights and kills her mother, and the last of her black suit falls off. They comment on eachother's new looks and Jack can be all cute and flustered now.

Then maybe rewrite the last episode we had to be a little less cliche, have Ashi wear one of Jacks MANY spare robes and make a joke about it, then they kiss at the end.

How is he a hack? Because you personally don't like the season? Because the stories going places you don't want or because of minor animation errors?

>Wtf this 10-episode serialized miniseries made a dozen years later on a different network is nothing like the four-season episodic wanderfest that it's based off of

The last episodes cliches were tongue in cheek. It was a comedy episode to relieve some of the tension and act as a breather right before the finale.

Samurai Jack was never 100% a dramatic heroes journey with crazy fight scenes. It had plenty of episodes played for laughs, and I'm glad this season hasn't lost those roots.

> now he has a more personal reason
Aku killed HIS FUCKING PARENTS, his fucking EMPIRE, and EVERYTHING HE KNEW.

Now you're telling me none of that matters a shit, but a monkey-faced slut?

youtube.com/watch?v=87ZJp_mILAI

Forget about his friends that still follow him to this very day, forget about the places he saved, he can't go back because of a girl he met for like one week.

>original 4 seasons have weird editing and pacing with episodes being half good, half mediocre
>somehow surprised when the final season is the same way

I's understandable to be peeved with the lack of improvement in over a decade, but don't start thinking that these current issues weren't prevalent in the past.

>Well now he has a more personal reason that might stop him from going back to the past

Yeah, I guess all his family in the past, his friends in the future, and the millions of innocents he swore to save in both time periods wasn't personal enough.

That's love man, don't expect it to make sense.

How many of those friends are traveling with him? Even his closest friend the Scotsman just kind of does his own thing.

Well no, now it'll effect something that makes him happy instead of just regretful. Sure saving a village of people or robots or crazy aliens is cool and all, but it didn't really seem to do much to change the fact that his journey isn't over. It's a drop in the bucket, and while he sure did get a following, it didn't stop him from wallowing in a pit of despair for some fifty odd years.

Everyone being dead has been weighing on the guy since before he lost the damn sword. For once he has someone that makes his journey easier. God forbid the Samurai have something in his life that isn't some selfless motivation to save a bunch of rampaging blue Muppets. It's not perfect, but it's there, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Just because it's canon doesn't make it good

If they had planned out their episodes better instead of rushing things trying to cram like 3 story lines into every episode, it could have been alot better.

The older episodes took an entire episode to do one self contained story with jack. I feel liek if they had done the same with this new season it could have been better.

But I guess they had so much stuff that they wanted to do they decided to cram it all in, instead of just cutting things out completely.

It really should have gotten 20 episodes.

Just because you hate it doesn't mean it's bad

man the only people still making threads at this point are baiters and butthurt idiots that are going to keep complaining until everyone gives up and stops talking to them

It's ironic that you and others are just using that label to mindlessly dismiss opinions that aren't in line with your own.

>it's love, so it's okay that it doesn't make sense!
>it's good because it makes this person happy!
Every time I see somebody defende Jashi I become more and more convinced that its only supporters are shippers and self-insert fags.

Yeah he's like George Lucas.

Can't make anything good unless he's be supervised by other people and fucks up everything when given too much freedom.

SJ simply wasn't as good as you remember.
>walk around for 20 minutes
>kill some robots for 4
>occasionally they'd drop a reference to an anime or hanna-barbera cartoon

There were stand out exceptions of course, but for the most part the recent season has been all that with the occasional reminder that "We're on Adult Swim now so we can do things we couldn't!" like the dickhead joke, Jack massacring a bunch of women, Ashi getting naked (but still censored Austin Powers style), etc. None of it really added anything to the series, just made it seem for fleeting moments more mature than it actually was.

>Wtf this 10-episode miniseres is actually well written and consistent as well evenly paced

>all the previews make the season look like its going to be Punished Jack
>its actually not because its about the story wrapping up
>people start screeching
We're having a Sup Forums overflow apparently because the kind of people posting about this are meme loving filth who unironically use the term "kino" to describe things

Day 1 of the new season we had people making threads solely to make "Samurai Jack memes" These are the kind of people we're dealing with

Souce please

Yeah it's almost like it's so obvious you'd think you wouldn't have to state Every Time that there'd be a drop in quality when you're working with new talent a decade later, working with 25% less runtime than previous seasons, and have to wrap up a 4 season story in 1/5th of the time while keeping the show accessible to new audiences

>that...gives them the right to make the same thread every couple hours
To be frank, everything not covered by the rules allow them that. They can post whatever they want, whenever they want to, as long as it doesn't break the rules.

season 5 is fucking awesome, though.

You can think that If you are a pleb who doesn't know what made Samurai Jack great in the first place. It's a disgrace to the source material.

(you)

Either you're baiting super hard or you are legitimately unable to appreciate the artistry, atmosphere and fantastic visual storytelling in the original show.

We all know you'll be watching it at 11:00 anyway, OP.

Season almost over and we got:

>A almost potential wolf partner as vicious and skilled as Jack

>pic related of what a real punch was

>A Scotsman return only to see him get blasted to death within 10 minutes of an episode

>Scotsman exceedingly masterfully at procreation before death

>6 mercilessly killed sisters 1 doesn't care about

>A fucking Tuning Fork Blade discarded

>filler episode featuring Ashi

>Last minute romance thats obviously going to be a hinder on Jack goal

>an almost Aku less season; with a voice like that I see why

Slowly, very slowly losing interest.

This

Wrong

This. I find SJ ok , at least some of the episodes but there was a lot of those were nothing really happen for a long time. I think DD was really spot on with the SJ parody. youtu.be/xTVTbLOMVaY

>Does this season prove that Genndy was a hack that was riding on other people's skills?

No? He's a top-tier action director.

I think people are expecting something like Berserk or some tragedy but since not fitting in what series they had in mind they are judging it as a disappointment rather than what it really is.

user, OP's entire endgame is to shitpost. He's the posterboy for mindless contrarian

>He doesn't realize these are bait threads

How new are you?

No, it just means he has issue's thinking ahead and is a huge waifufag.

But still all in all still incredibly talented individual.

Just because it doesn't meet up to your fanfiction doesn't mean it's bad.

A lot of that could be solved be excising Ashi and using the time to focus on other, more important things.

why does Sup Forums always fall for the bait?

>people actually give valid criticism
>nuh uh show is good because i say so, it is you who is a mindless guy

Samurai Jack fans are legit braindead.

It doesn't have to be Berserk, hell, it doesn't have a half of depth Berserk has. The point was always the same - it's a mediocre Samurai Jack experience. You got 4 seasons to make up your mind on what are you gonna expect. And it was disappointing in almost every regard.

That's John K, not Genddy.

Samurai Jack has no interesting characters, it has no coherent, interesting world or lore. So, what did you expect to get from "conclusion" miniseries?

Its unamerican to understand how budgets work.

>""criticism""
All the bitching I see is from underaged faggots who jumped onto the bandwagon when the new season was announced and expected something groundbreaking and adult.
Just about all the 'controversial' moments this season are things anyone who actually knows Genndy's style saw coming a mile away.
You'd have to be absolutely retarded to watch Samurai Jack and expect Berserk but here we are for some reason.