Hyperspace Ramming

The only way I can rationalize the fact that this tactic isn't used all the time is that it scatters debris throughout hyperlanes, making space for a hundred lightyears unusable for hyperdrives, and everyone has agreed to never use it.

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/ajdxf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

here's a simple explanation i just thought up - hyperspace ram another hyperspace engine and you might create a black hole. problem solved.

Yeah but being how decisive it is can military planners really resist it?

If debris is such a big problem they would design clean up tugs to clean up the mess afterwards just to please everyone.

If the First Order could track them through lightspeed, why didn't they just pop up in their ships on top of their location instead of a mile behind them?

>in TFA, the Falcon makes a jump to hyperspace from inside another ship
>doesn't do anything
>in TLJ, the Raddus hits a shit in hyperspace from a mile away
>hits it like a relativistic warhead

It's just hack writers senpai

Simple, Rebels are the good guys so they don't do it. The Empire doesn't do it because they control the economy and no more hyperspace travel is bad for business.

Because it's hard to make short jumps with big ships. Problem solved.

As much as I hate how little sense this makes, I loved the shot.

So she became a war criminal with her jihadist attack on a government vessel?

Which still makes zero sense when we have Death Stars with Emperor's sat on them - pretending the rebellion wouldn't use this tactic regardless of the cost is either nonsensical or de-escalates the supposed resoluteness of the rebels massively.

What happened to their shields? If you are moving at the speed of light then you are also hitting things at the speed of light. Thus, the shield tech needs to be good enough to block objects at light speed. otherwise, every time someone warps them better hope they don't hit some debris, otherwise they would end up like the First order.

Yes. For thousands of years innocent people will be dying because of her as relativistic debris within the hyperlanes shotguns across the galaxy, arcing between stars for eternity. In some cases the ships that get hit will explode within hyperspace and create more debris. If enough people use the tactic then it will cause a chain reaction that will make hyperspace unusable or a million years.

there are hyperspace lanes in star wars anymore, thats extended universe shit. tlj book said that snoke has servants that can plot coordinates ANYWHERE, so in other words they are masters of space like the space folders in dune. no hyperspace lanes. there is literally zero excuse why snoke didn't have his fleet just hyperspace jump closer to the rebels, or hyperspace surround the rebels and destroy them.

Interdictors, son.

>there are hyperspace lanes in star wars anymore

areNT, sorry

Well the rebels have fallen far from their golden days. Even recruiting children for their jihad, now.

>gravity wells affecting hyperspace travel
No longer canon

>this ship that does exist in Star Wars doesn't exist because it makes me angry to assume it doesn't, and I like being angry
Okay?

Nah. Empire just creates of bunch of massive drone ships to blackhole every rebel target.

Too easy really. No outs in that kind of plot for the rebels.

>assume
You got that part right. A ship preventing lightspeed doesn't make sense anymore.
>Lightspeed from inside the hangar of a freighter
>exiting lightspeed in the lower atmosphere of a planet
>entering lightspeed in the lower atmosphere of a planet

I honestly don't understand peoples issues with this.
It was a capital ship into another capital ship. What's the big deal
>why didn't they do it to the deathstar
Maybe that was their final choice? Either way it would be attacking a spherical object, it'd just damage the outside. It might take it out of comission for some time but not finish it

>why not hyperspace the first order constantly?

The resistance has less ships. They can't afford to throw them away. The empire/FO can take the losses
Smaller ships wouldn't do enough damage
A capital ship can kill a capital ship. Who gives a shit
the movie had so many other problems.

3km ship versus 60km ship.

It's almost amusing that you think any of that adds up to "magic hyperspace prevention ship can no longer prevent hyperspace".

>attacking a spherical object,
You're joking right?
Also the "capital ship" of the resistance was a basic cruiser size in Star Wars. The Supremacy was literally as wide as the Death Star.

The hyper space ram should be treated like some sort of a galaxy wide 9/11 terrorist attack. It should have reprocussions that effect the whole galaxy

Yeah? I feel like a 3KM ship would do a lot of damage to a thin long ship like that. Don't see the big deal, sorry

No I'm not joking. the supremacy was thin and long, a sphere has the most resistance and strength.

Well your magic ship hasn't ever been in a Star Wars movie and isn't in the new canon.

Then it would be actual sci-fi, and not fantasy in space.

>ship one ten thousandth the size is able to destroy the other
It's like if crashing pointing a pontoon boat at an aircraft carrier instantly destroyed the aircraft carrier and the pontoon boat. No one would build aircraft carriers if it was that easy to destroy them.

>isn't in the new canon
Says your need to be angry.

>your
I'm flattered, but you're wrong.

Agreed, it was a spectacle if nothing else

This isn't a bullet hitting a car. This is an object traveling faster than the speed of light. Shape is not a factor.
Also it destroyed like 6 other ships.

>smaller ships wouldn't do enough damage
If you put a hyperdrive on my flaccid penis, and rammed it into Snoke's capital ship at the speed of light, it would have wiped out the entire solar system, at least.
I've seen some say it would actually wipe out the entire universe, since it requires infinite energy to move ANY mass faster than the speed of light, which would release infinite energy upon impact with another object.

Amusing
May your orange juice aim true

I refuse to believe this. The very first thing all of the writers should have done is watch all of the movies together. I don't care how long it would have taken. I can understand if it was 5 movies ago but TFA was the last movie. How could they fuck that up? I really think the writers didn't give a fuck about the story and just wrote whatever they thought would look cool.

Well obviously it wasn't going the speed of light. It was simply going a significant fraction of the speed of light and is only a small part of the actual usage of hyperspace.

Relativistic speeds only require a tiny amount of mass to inflict retarded amounts of damage. An X-Wing would have worked against the Death Star, or at least hyperdrives strapped to asteroids. And even that is overkill.

Stick a hyperdrive on a twenty ton rod of Tungsten and ram it into a planet at 1500 times the speed of light. Why do you even need a Death Star again?

>Stick a hyperdrive on a twenty ton rod of Tungsten and ram it into a planet at 1500 times the speed of light.

I would hate to be on that planet. forget thinking you'll see a flash, you'll just instantly be gone and figuring out what the fuck just happened.

>I honestly don't understand peoples issues with this.
It's because you have low standards and are dumb as dirt

So... like a kessler effect?

The kinetic energy of something moving at the speeds Star Wars hyperdrives run at would release as much energy as a supernova. Fuck being on the planet, being anywhere near the Solar System and you'd still be fucked.

Why didn't the first order send more than a handful of fighters from it's 60 km long mothership?

>We can't cover you that far out

What, is the first order squeamish now?

The Falcon goes to hyperspeed in a planet's atmosphere in TFA. Gravity wells affecting hyperdrive is no longer canon. That's all there is to it.

That's not even an inconsistency. The Death Star is more powerful than even ramming the Supremacy into a planet going by the energy we saw in TLJ of hyperspace ramming. It's like comparing thermonuclear weapons to the power output of a star concentrated onto a planet for a split second.

Furthermore, fleets can wipe out all life on a planet no problem. The Death Star was just Palpatine going crazy with showing off just to scare the galaxy into submission for the next 10,000 years.

It's not a simple gravity well. It's a magic you-can't-use-your-hyperdrive-anymore ship that happens to involve """gravity wells""". It's a fucking fantasy setting.

Man, I thought those were all needles floating around at first. I wondered when the local homeless junkies had gotten into space...

>making space for a hundred lightyears unusable for hyperdrives
You know who wouldn't care about something like that? Someone who's about to die. Or someone who's Empire is about to fall.

Then don't use interdictor as an example.

Of course it's fantasy. Hyperspace is like using magic portals, and the Inderdictor is a magic anti-portal vessel to prevent escaping or to rip ships out from hyperspace. That's why hyperspace was never used as hard sci-fi concept or weapon, because it breaks the science fantasy universe's rules.

It is hack writing though. There's literally no other explanation. The thought process was all of "This will look so cool and be so epic" and that's it. I'm so sorry...

>implying the empire and the first order would care about making a small blackhole
They are already prepared to ruin starsystems with superweapons

>someone who is about to die gives precisely zero fucks about their lasting impact on the mortal world
Holy shit, nihilists like you can fuck off. People live and die for causes all the time.

The chance of it hitting anything is miniscule, and 99.999% of what it will hit is stars.

Most of the debris is gas or subatomic particles, there should be very little intact debris as anything more than a few hundred miles per second, and that allows for fictional materials.

Why didn't Leia just streamable.com/ajdxf ?

Not if it gets concentrated by the hand-wave fields that form hyperlanes

>It a fucking fantasy setting

Were you one of those people who said it doesn't matter how fast ravens fly, it's a fantasy setting bro dragons are awesome!

no

WHAT NOW DAMERON

HALF-LIFE 3 CONFIRMED

i love you

So Holdo is a war criminal who breaks the rules of the Space Geneva Convention???

>scatters debris throughout hyperlanes

Sith blow up entire planets but are afraid to ruin a hyperlane. That's just uncivilized.

>Sith blow up entire planets but are afraid to ruin a hyperlane.
see

STOP THINKING REEEEEEEEEEEEE

>both sides have access to a super-powerful nuke that any ship with a hyper-drive (which is star wars is virtually every ship even down to car size) can activate at any place at any time
>one side is literal cartoon space Nazis
>the other side is facing genocide and is close to being wiped out
>implying both/either side wouldn't have broken your imaginary agreement long, long ago

They broke the whole sw universe with their bullshit. It's not a simple fix.

The last jedi not only ruins all future STAR WARS movies, it also retroactively ruins the past films and makes them all look like idiots.

>A New Hope - "Sir we've worked out the final plan for the assault on the death star and it will be risky and cost many lives but it migh-" "Just Hyperspace-Ram it"

>Empire - "Sir the troops are ready for the ground assault on Hoth, walkers are ready to deploy" "Just Hyperspace-Ram the shield generator from orbit then Hyperspace-ram the rebel base. Boom. All the rebels will be dead before they can evacuate, war is over, and we never had to do a ground assault"

>Jedi - "Sir they built a new death star and it's even bigg-" "Just Hyperspace-Ram it" "But sir it's surrounded by a shield from the Endor moo-" "Just hyperspace ram the endor Moon until you take out the shield generator, Ewoks are collateral damage, then hyperspace ram the new death star"

>Phantom Menace - "Annakin you have to take out that droid controller" "Just hyperspace ram it"

>Rogue One - "We have to take down that shield generator!" "Just hyperspace ra- actually you know what were going to just hyperspace ram the death star anyway so we don't even need these stupid plans. Lets get out of here everybody."

>TFA - My god they built an even BIGGER death sta-" "Just hyperspace ram it"

From now on, in every star wars movie ever made, every single time there is a massive fleet, large base or battlestation everyone watching will be thinking. "Why don't they just hyperspace-ram it". Johnson did this to the entire star wars cinematic universe, forever, for the sake of a ten second shot that "looked cool".

Okay how about this. Hyperspace jumps involve a ship oscillating into and out of normal space, allowing the Millenium Falcon to pass through solid material in the first oscillation of the jump but making it a chance endeavor at any other distance. The oscillations can be tuned somewhat in the unlikely event that one WANTS to hit something. However ramming is not just frowned upon due to it filling hyperspace with debris, it is terribly inaccurate at the kind of distances where the ship has significant kinetic energy. Holdo just got really really lucky.

This is a copy pasta but I still agree with it.
Bitch about luke being grumpy all you want THIS is what ruined it. This is above midichlorians level of retarted because those could just be forgotten about (and they were)

I love you man

How the fuck do you make something "terribly inaccurate" when you're moving so fast everything is practically stationary to you?

Then why didn't the Empire find a Rebel occupied area and ram two ships to make travel there impossible?

>I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if billions of brain cells suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

Same reason front wheel drive is relatively new. Power is sometimes hard to control. Plant a stick of dynamite behind a bullet, set it off, and see if you can hit the target.

Hyperspace canonically requires constant computation to stay on course, hence why you can change direction in hyperspace and why some ships are better than others at computing better courses, thus making them "faster"... just saying.

Because the Empire controls the galactic economy and relies on connectivity to keep their dominion from falling apart. Imagine Rome destroying their roade network in response to rebellion. It would do more harm than good when they can just bring in a shit tonne of soldiers.

It turns out droids are really good at timing things like oscillations. But you don't even need to use that, because if people knew that it worked like this they would have immediately worked out a way to keep the ship permanently in one state, one for safety the other as a weapon. It's too powerful a weapon for either side to not instantly do a manhattan project on. It's the strongest weapon in the star wars universe. It's a thousand times as powerful as a death star since any ship can use it at any time in any place.

The problem with this is relativity. At light speed everything else is essentially frozen, they have literally unlimited time to make the correct calculations.

>Star Wars
>special relativity
user, come on now.

A 9mm bullet can kill a 1900mm man, what's your point?

A grain of sand traveling at .999 c could wipe out all life on earth

Yes there are. They're brought up in star wars rebels which is considered part of the new canon.

Since you seem to know so much, explain to me why the separatists didn't hyperspace ram spam all the time? They literally had infinite resources

see Also no it wouldn't. A napkin calculation tells me the grain of sand would would have an energy closer to an atomic bomb.

>people arguing about physics of ships traveling at lightspeed
>in a universe where people can shoot lightning and use telekinesis
You do realize it's a movie, right?

>consistency

Don't give them any ideas.

Does anyone have the pic of Carrie Fisher doing coke in space?

I think you were. I think you and this guy are in cahoots.

Poe's Law

Yeah I don't know why you're trying so hard when Star Wars canon has been broken for years, if not decades. Just enjoy the fact that at least this 2.5-hour-long turd-pile produced one visually stunning and innovative moment.

>Disney shills spam that retarded "why don't they use the eagles" meme to shit on LotR because they know Disney will NEVER have a franchise as good and acclaimed as LotR
>the closest thing they'll ever get has now an actual, massive, franchise ruining consistency hole and they have to rationalize it away
Feels like justice, brehs