Was it racist?

Was it racist?

>people commonly known for tattoos
Soccer moms just got mad that they made their son look like a nigger instead

It's Sup Forums so you're not gonna get a straight answer.

I'd say it was tip toeing a line that would be better to avoid than fuck up on

Nah it was just dumb tumblrinas getting upset over nothing like usual

its not racist

but I can see why some people would be offended by it

No, it was funny.

Racist? No. It neither treats any race in a higher, or lower regard, and it doesn't treat any race as different form another.
Culturally insensitive? Maybe. But that's a completely different discussion.

Not by the definition, as it didn't depict the race in question in a negative light, and considering the character it's based on it's a heroic figure to emulate. There's no negative connations to a kid aspiring to be like the character they would have in a character like Darth Vader despite his popularity.

The closest you can get to it being 'racist' is that it has the skin color. However, the idea of the costume is not to be like the characters skin or race, it's that his most iconic and notable features are his tattoos that make up his 'costume', it's no more offensive than the aforementioned Darth Vader's life support panel on his chest being derogatory to anyone who actually needs assisted breathing for an ailment. No negative aspect is being made of the skin color and nothing implies that is the child's skin color in question, it's obviously a costume meant to emulate a character.

Taking the three definitions into account
>: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
OR
>a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles
Or ironically the one Moana herself benefits from
>a political or social system founded on racism
Or finally
> racial prejudice or discrimination
None of those connections fit.

The burden of proof for negative racial connotations with the costume is on the accuser, of which there were none save connections to an older show that connected to a completely different people.

Nice blog man

Isn't it racist to get angry that a costume of a black character exists?

Tumblr pls go and stay go.

>Black character

This is like that Hawaiian shirt meltdown.
Fucking SJW, why they don't just admit that they want Hawaii stop being an state?

Everything's racist now. The trick is not to care.

Its not racist. I might be able to see why people were offended if it were just a generic costume of a tribal guy, but it was of a specific character. There is nothing wrong with a kid dressing up as a Disney character.

I can't

I think part of the problem with our school system is that it discourages critical thinking in favor of black and white questions and answers resulting in test scores.

That sort of thing is supposed to be more encouraged in college, but all it's turned into is professors with an agenda talking about how America sucks, white people suck, straight people suck, and men don't suck enough downstairs.

My point is, a critical thinker would see this costume as a potential red flag, but realize that it's celebrating the culture and encouraging kids to learn about it. By banning the costume, you're basically shielding them from said culture. Sharing culture doesn't mean making fun of it.

If you hate this costume because it's racist, hate action figures, pajamas, backpacks, the entire movie, for profiting off the culture. And I don't recall anybody boycotting the movie.

If anything it's people pushing double standards shit again which will always remind people why minorities can never be equal, even if corporations want to whore out their characters just as equally as they do their white princesses.

>but all it's turned into is professors with an agenda talking about how America sucks, white people suck, straight people suck, and men don't suck enough downstairs.

Well... they're not exactly wrong (admittedly pointing out a group of people sucking is like pointing out that the green skittles are sweets), but I'm damn sure I never encountered this in engineering.

Also, no. It's a costume of a character who is a) Polynesian and b) not human. Why would it be racist?

I got you senpai

It's a bit insensitive at most but not racist.

No, or at lesat no more than the character of Maui itself. But it was always a pitfall. There was really no way avoiding controversy. The best thing they could have done would be not making Maui costumes, and even then, that would likely be met with controversy.

There's just wasn't a good option.

Maui is a big guy, this costume is in the same realm as the hulk hands.

>why they don't just admit that they want Hawaii stop being an state?
They have, several times. The way Hawaii got forced to be a state was actually pretty fucked up though.

Polynesians are retards
fuck em

Of course not

t. americlap

what would you even do with that costume, wear it for halloween?
"I'm sorry son you can't go out dressed like your favorite disney character because a bunch of tumblrinas will get triggered."

It's not since the kid has the same skin color of the chracter. Now it would be on the line of black face if it was a white kidwearing the costume, and it would cause lot of outrage

Maui was a fucking asshole, he tried to kill Moana many times. I dont think race was anywhere near the most relevant trait of his.

Moana song was too qt.

It was certainly a dumb marketing decision. Wouldn't have made more sense to simply make the costume transparent aside from the tattoos?

i bet with this suit he gonna get best pussy in the party

No. It's about the mythology of a specific culture, and they didn't fee the need to hide that culture's traditional appearance in patronizing shame, you pathologically concerned layabout.

WE